Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple officially announces special event for April 20: ‘Spring Loaded’

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

On the Apple Watch, even though the app has the same icon and Find My, it’s actually called “Find People”, and is tuned to find the location of people rather than lost devices (through the device that each person has set as the one assigned to give “their” location). So it’s probably not a surprise that it can’t find AirTags.

That said, there’s an opportunity in an Apple Watch app or function for finding your keys via AirTags, like the way you can ping your phone in the Control Centre screen.

I’m hoping that the whole functionality of AirTags will grow in time now that they’re getting real-world use. It’s one thing for produce developers to think “this is the way people should use it” - quite another for users to actually integrate it into their lives. A good product will evolve to fit the user’s needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

dmn22 wrote: »
    Got a notification from DHL that they tried to deliver my Airtags this afternoon but there was no one home? Surely it's not too big to fit in through a letterbox? And what about contact-less delivery? They normally leave the package outside the front door.

Anyone know what you've to do next with DHL in this scenario?
    Similar happened to me. I was home though. But could not get in as it’s an apartment. I had to ring them and give them my number. So hopefully they will call me the next time like the rest of the couriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That said, there’s an opportunity in an Apple Watch app or function for finding your keys via AirTags, like the way you can ping your phone in the Control Centre screen.

That would be a good use case, but in practical terms I am not sure the Apple Watch hardware is currently good enough get the precise location of an AirTag or to get Bluetooth connectivity at the same distance an iPhone would in order to trigger a sound alert (even with the phone which has a better antenna and a more powerful Bluetooth transmitter the range isn’t that great).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Ordered the 12.9 inch iPad Pro 256GB WiFi silver with white magic keyboard for delivery from may 21st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Nice surprise. After giving DHL my number. I got my Air Tags this morning. Now to get key ring holder. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Shred

I ordered a set of 4 Airtags just there, they won’t be delivered until June 11th - 18th. I also ordered some of these: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B093GRMWT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_YG05NVAYAD6JR4FAFJJY @ €3:18 each and free delivery; they’ll do for the time being at least.

My wife is incredibly absent minded and loses things on a daily basis; one of these will be for her keys for starters (plus my own car keys)! I was considering slipping one into a pocket in my wallet too (assuming it’ll fit) with the last one tbd.

For those of you looking to save a couple of quid you can always try drilling a hole through your tags :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Your wallet must be huge to fit an airtag into it.

I’ve a normal bifold wallet and a card wallet and an airtag would go near neither. That being said I rarely carry either wallet these days and only really would whilst travelling now.

iOS 14.5.1 out now to address greyed out App Tracking settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Only two apps have showed in the app tracking settings for me so far. Do I need to reinstall apps for the prompt to pop up? Have only got it twice for them two apps. Not sure how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Shred

Your wallet must be huge to fit an airtag into it.

I’ve a normal bifold wallet and a card wallet and an airtag would go near neither. That being said I rarely carry either wallet these days and only really would whilst travelling now.

Ah right, that’s probably out so. I only tend to bring my wallet when driving to have my license with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Not unexpected at all given that it is attached to a bunch of keys but after 4 days my air tag is covered in visible scratches.

Vudgie wrote: »
    Not unexpected at all given that it is attached to a bunch of keys but after 4 days my air tag is covered in visible scratches.

For sure. It is basically the same glossy plastic and polished metal back they have been using since the iPod. Infamous for scratching super easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Vudgie wrote: »

I doubt any engravings will last too long on a set of keys if they're scratching up that quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bob24 wrote: »
    For sure. It is basically the same glossy plastic and polished metal back they have been using since the iPod. Infamous for scratching super easily.

Just get the Hermes holder and you'll be fine.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just get the Hermes holder and you'll be fine.

If I had money to waste on this thing I’m sure I’d be fine yes ;-) (although if the idea is to prevent scratches I don’t think it actually helps much since it doesn’t cover the whole AirTag).

At the end of the day I don’t think anyone cares about scratched airtags anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Airtags are gonna get scratched simple as that. It’s a 35 euro item, I’m willing to take the hit on scratches, etc.

I’m the same with my Apple Watch tbh, although I try take care of it, I’ve fully accepted that it’s gonna get scratched. I see people with screen protectors and protective film on them and think that’s a complete waste. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Airtags are gonna get scratched simple as that. It’s a 35 euro item, I’m willing to take the hit on scratches, etc.

I’m the same with my Apple Watch tbh, although I try take care of it, I’ve fully accepted that it’s gonna get scratched. I see people with screen protectors and protective film on them and think that’s a complete waste. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Yup I think case/screen protectors - especially on the watch - are a complete waste of money. Fair enough on an iPhone where they hold their value much more.

I don’t baby my watches but definitely don’t go around rubbing it against granite walls or anything. There’s a few light scratches on the glass but by no means hinders the use of the product.

I don’t baby my watches but definitely don’t go around rubbing it against granite walls or anything.

That’s exactly what I did with my Series 0. Accidentally rubbed it off a granite wall on the top of Bunratty Castle, and put a deep gash right across the screen.

I’ve a Zagg protector on my Series 4 now. Don’t even notice it, and the watch is in pristine condition despite being knocked about a fair bit. The glass is tougher on the newer watches than the aluminium 0, so maybe it’s not needed as much, but that incident scarred not only the watch, but me too.

I am careful enough but I have to say cases/protectors simply don’t cross my mind when it comes to the Apple Watch.

To each their own of course and I have no issue if someone wants to protect theirs.

But I would point out that *very* few people would ever think of adding a protective cover to their “regular” watch (even if it is a very expensive luxury watch). It is interesting that just because a watch has an Apple logo on it, the way of thinking about this can be different (it might be a smart watch, but at the end of the day the way to wear it the potential for hitting it against something are the same as with any other watch).

But I would point out that *very* few people would ever thing of adding a protective cover to their “regular” watch (even if it is a very expensive luxury watch).

People bring good watches in for polishing if they get bad scratches.

• Advertisement

A polishing of a good watch would rival the cost of an Apple Watch titanium/ceramic edition too, small price in comparison :)

People bring good watches in for polishing if they get bad scratches.

And if it is a cheaper watch they usually just live with the risk of damaging it.

I would personally apply the same reasoning to the Apple Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

I got my airtags today - I did go with the apple keyring as I'm a sucker for apple stuff. Nice and neat and same brown leather colour as my Apple Watch strap !! now if only I had somewhere to go to loose stuff to check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Been on the lookout for a few weeks for a cheap AirTag keyring. Amazon was slow with options but eventually came across this one.

Got it today and happy enough with it. Worked out around €9.50 so bang on around the price I was looking to pay. It was offering free one day delivery too which was a nice addition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B091Y9VVDV/

Alright, that's it. After my wife misplacing the keys yet again, and me running around like a madman this morning looking for them while trying to get the kids to school, I'm getting an AirTag. This thing is going to be used more than my shoes. I would get the 4 pack, but the lead time is 4-5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Alright, that's it. After my wife misplacing the keys yet again, and me running around like a madman this morning looking for them while trying to get the kids to school, I'm getting an AirTag. This thing is going to be used more than my shoes. I would get the 4 pack, but the lead time is 4-5 weeks.

Picked up a 4 pack In Harvey Norman.
    If you need asap no harm checking out your local store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

a few stories knocking about that air pods 3 and apple hifi will be announced on may 18th

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/13/sketchy-rumor-claims-apple-will-launch-airpods-3-on-may-18/

peteeeed wrote: »
    a few stories knocking about that air pods 3 and apple hifi will be announced on may 18th

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/13/sketchy-rumor-claims-apple-will-launch-airpods-3-on-may-18/

Hopefully this means they have something in the pipeline to allow for Hi-Fi audio over Bluetooth. If they announce a Hi-Fi streaming service but Bluetooth transmission to their high end AirPod Max headphones is still 256kbps AAC, it wouldn’t look great (basically using that setup the Hi-Fi streaming service would make no difference as Apple Music already streams 256kbps AAC and currently this is the best the headphones can receive over bluetooth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

ðŸ™ðŸ™ðŸ™ðŸ™

Hopefully this means they have something in the pipeline to allow for Hi-Fi audio over Bluetooth. If they announce a Hi-Fi streaming service but Bluetooth transmission to their high end AirPod Max headphones is still 256kbps AAC, it wouldn’t look great (basically using that setup the Hi-Fi streaming service would make no difference as Apple Music already streams 256kbps AAC and currently this is the best the headphones can receive over bluetooth).

Hopefully they won't just limit that to the AirPod 3 (although I can't imagine them not supporting the Pros and the Max). Looking at the rumours, there doesn't seem to be very much new about the 3s, other than a slight nod towards the Pro design. I'd be just fearful that they'd use Hi-Fi as their main value proposition, and not give the feature to the 2s.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they won't just limit that to the AirPod 3 (although I can't imagine them not supporting the Pros and the Max). Looking at the rumours, there doesn't seem to be very much new about the 3s, other than a slight nod towards the Pro design. I'd be just fearful that they'd use Hi-Fi as their main value proposition, and not give the feature to the 2s.

I guess the questions are:
    - are the current devices technically capable of doing it (bandwidth should be enough for the latest ones which have Bluetooth 5, but they would also need to support a new codec)
    - from a marketing perspective, would Apple want to promote the new service by making older hardware compatible, or push sales of new hardware by making it mandatory to make use of the new service

In any case this idea is just me speculating and I haven't seen any rumour about Hi-Fi over bluetooth. But really I think it would look bad if they were to release a Hi-Fi service and their whole line-up of earphones and headphones was unable to leverage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

But really I think if would look bad if they were to release a Hi-Fi service and their whole line-up of earphones and headphones was unable to leverage it.

especially considering after dropping over €600 on a pair of Airpod Max!

in regard to what devices can handle the hifi sound upgrade
    from what hifi's review of the air pod max mention listening to tidals master quality (uncompressed lossless sound quality, streaming at 1411kbps or 16-Bit / 44.1 kHz. Master Quality audio reflects the original source and can stream up to 9216 kbps or 24-Bit / 192 kHz (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit).)

Switch to the Tidal Master recording of The Road (by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis) from the film of the same name, and the delivery is stunning. The AirPods Max nail the beautiful inconsistencies in the timing and pressure of the piano notes that come from the live nature of the recording. They’re both organic and precise, with lovely, subtle degradation to the tail of each note, but a definite, precise end when the vibration of the strings is stopped. All of the notes are full and solid, lending a physicality to the recording that is missed by lesser headphones, plus a texture that makes everything that bit more moving.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/apple-airpods-max

in regard to what devices can handle the hifi sound upgrade
    from what hifi's review of the air pod max mention listening to tidals master quality (uncompressed lossless sound quality, streaming at 1411kbps or 16-Bit / 44.1 kHz. Master Quality audio reflects the original source and can stream up to 9216 kbps or 24-Bit / 192 kHz (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit).)

Switch to the Tidal Master recording of The Road (by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis) from the film of the same name, and the delivery is stunning. The AirPods Max nail the beautiful inconsistencies in the timing and pressure of the piano notes that come from the live nature of the recording. They’re both organic and precise, with lovely, subtle degradation to the tail of each note, but a definite, precise end when the vibration of the strings is stopped. All of the notes are full and solid, lending a physicality to the recording that is missed by lesser headphones, plus a texture that makes everything that bit more moving.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/apple-airpods-max

They don’t specify clearly whether they were testing it in Bluetooth mode or with a lighting cable.

You’d have to assume it was wired though: Bluetooth connectivity is limited to SBC and ACC which are both lossy codecs and in this case also happen to have lower sampling rates that Tidal Master files, so there is absolutely no technical way it could convey the advantage of that Hi-Res audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Has anyone’s pre order of the iPad Pro shipping status changed to preparing to ship yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭martin_g

Craigels wrote: »
    Has anyone’s pre order of the iPad Pro shipping status changed to preparing to ship yet ?

Nope 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭martin_g

My order has disappeared from the apple website and is not in orders on account log in? Anyone else having issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Is anyone else finding the airtags experience seriously underwhelming? It takes ages to connect and play the sound, volume is really low and it always says poor signal when trying to use the precise finding function.

One guy has received his new iPad Pro already (due to a retailer mistake): https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/16/m1-ipad-pro-arrives-early-for-customer/

• Advertisement

the apple hifi link on the browse tab of the app

https://music.apple.com/ie/post/1566904618
    'get ready music is about to change forever '

https://twitter.com/LeaksApplePro/status/1394190835898589184?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

the apple hifi link on the browse tab of the app

https://music.apple.com/ie/post/1566904618
    'get ready music is about to change forever '

https://twitter.com/LeaksApplePro/status/1394190835898589184?s=20

To me, that indicates spatial sound on Apple Music rather than "Hi-Fi" (uncompressed). Tidal has had spatial for a while and it's apparently quite the experience. Apple is very about spatial with their headphones.

OU812 wrote: »
    To me, that indicates spatial sound on Apple Music rather than "Hi-Fi" (uncompressed). Tidal has had spatial for a while and it's apparently quite the experience. Apple is very about spatial with their headphones.

i think there's going to be a lot of explaining and an update to the max and pro's and then a few days of .....' is this hifi? '

Looks like a “lossless” logo has been added to the Apple Music website ressources: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/apple-music-lossless-logo/

Wondering what the pricing will be …

Looks like a “lossless” logo has been added to the Apple Music website ressources: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/apple-music-lossless-logo/

Wondering what the pricing will be …

be a nice move if they did 9.99 for lossless and everyone paying 9.99 currently gets lossless and intro a new plan at 7.99 or something. that way majority of people stay paying 9.99 and they gain a ****-ton of customers moving from other providers for a price cut.

this would be atypical for Apple though so I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

be a nice move if they did 9.99 for lossless and everyone paying 9.99 currently gets lossless and intro a new plan at 7.99 or something. that way majority of people stay paying 9.99 and they gain a ****-ton of customers moving from other providers for a price cut.

Also, just as people may not know, instead of paying €9.99 a month Apple offer an annual sub for €99 a year so bringing it down to €8.25 a month or effectively 2 months for free. I think it's a great deal that's hidden withen the subs section on the phone.

• Advertisement

Yes, would be nice but I also thing it is unlikely. This is not my base case, but one thing they could also be doing is just include lossless in the standard plan instead of creating a 2-tiers model, in order to keep things simple for users (and the question if they were to do this would be: can they do it while keeping the same price, or would it mean the price is increasing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

They did upgrade all available movies to 4K at no extra cost to movies bought via iTunes. So there is a case of Apple upgrading customers at no extra cost to the consumer. The price of a phone or iPad may go up to compensate for it tho 😂

Zhane wrote: »
    They did upgrade all available movies to 4K at no extra cost to movies bought via iTunes. So there is a case of Apple upgrading customers at no extra cost to the consumer. The price of a phone or iPad may go up to compensate for it tho ��

Yep this is actually what I had in mind and why I wouldn’t rule it out. I am not sure it is fully comparable though, as here we are talking streaming service, and while Apple has a lot of leverage it would have been hard to convince/force record companies to distribute higher quality files without increasing the licensing costs (but if Apple managed to do that it would be good news for users of other streaming services as well, as I don’t think it would be sustainable for record companies to grant this type of pricing only for Apple).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, just as people may not know, instead of paying €9.99 a month Apple offer an annual sub for €99 a year so bringing it down to €8.25 a month or effectively 2 months for free. I think it's a great deal that's hidden withen the subs section on the phone.

This is how I pay for Apple Music. A great deal in my opinion. I only wish they did something similar for the family sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

• Advertisement
Advertisement