Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

wadacrack wrote: »
    Insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting different results...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1368613959142682627

And to think posters on here were looking at Italy easing restrictions to call for Ireland to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

As far as I know Italy has regional restrictions and not a national lockdown. They've had this for 4 months. Bars and restaurants are open to 6pm in areas doing best.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Leo mentioned ICU below 50 as a measure of sustainable levels of disease so we will make him keep to his word!

He didnt give his 'word', and was only giving an indication of the criteria.

He added : "any re-opening that we do, in the next three months certainly, is going to be very gradual. As well as that we would anticipate that social distancing and restrictions on gatherings will remain in place for many months yet - probably into the summer and autumn, unfortunately".

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's all down to messaging and keeping people with you. The Martin 9 weeks thing was about the worst way to do that. A shift onto vaccinations as a far more beneficial strategy as it distracts people. Future restrictions should not be mentioned until there is news on them.

There will still be people whining then when they do announce future restriction "no, they said is was until the end of March, that was the deal, we did what we were asked, and now what do they do only extend it again. They should have told us this weeks ago instead of only telling us now ", etc, etc. People just like to moan. You have to just ignore them. The politicians, understandably, and correctly, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leo mentioned ICU below 50 as a measure of sustainable levels of disease so we will make him keep to his word!

I believe we can open outdoor activities, garden meetings, outdoor hospitality and non essential retail and keep ICU below 50 long term from mid April.
    More likely to be the end of the month for hospitality, but the rest stands a chance. ICU should get to that target and below faster than April if trends continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

3 deaths, 525 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is it me or have the cases not come down as much as we’d hoped for by now?

Just from driving in my 5km area today (north Kildare) after lunch, huge amounts of people out walking including in big groups. And very much a minority wearing masks outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Wouldn’t take notice about increased hospital numbers over the weekend because there won’t be discharges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Just from driving in my 5km area today (north Kildare) after lunch, huge amounts of people out walking including in big groups. And very much a minority wearing masks outside.

Well considering its been 8 weeks or so of level 5 I would yes, but this week has been encouraging compared to the 2 or 3 before that.

There will still be people whining then when they do announce future restriction "no they said is was until the end of March, that was the deal, we did what we were asked, and no what do they do only extend it again. They should have told us this weeks ago instead of only telling us now ", etc, etc. People just like to moan. You have to just ignore them. The politicians, understandably, and correctly, do.
    It's not that simple, where we are now there is a lot of fatigue. The messaging needs to mix the hold firm with we're nearly there. We understand 3-4 week cycles, a further no change till May will encourage people to abandon behaviours. An IT poll recently suggested that people believe this is over once we've done the at risk groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Normal One wrote: »
    3 deaths, 525 cases

Of the cases notified today:

271 are men / 254 are women
    74% are under 45 years of age
    The median age is 31 years old
    214 in Dublin, 37 in Meath, 28 in Offaly, 28 in Limerick and 25 in Wicklow and the remaining 193 cases are spread across 19 other counties

-As of 8am today, 423 Covid-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 103 are in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Outdoor risk is much lower compared to indoors. Important to remember that. Superspreading indoor events are vey limited atm ( bar college parties it seems ) and schools but masks may mitigate risk.

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1367520145808248841

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The rate of decline slowed down in a big way a number of weeks ago.

R number around 0.8 at the moment. It was around 0.5 a while back.

I'm not sure if this increased r number is due to an increased level of misbehaviour in the population or due to an increased prevalence of the UK variant (more transmissible). The UK variant had gone from 50% to 90% of all cases since Christmas i believe.

Masks outside were advised for busy retail areas and Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

I want to go to a garden center to get trees for my garden but it's about 30km away, is there any good excuse I could use if I'm stopped? Especially if someone else is with me in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I want to go to a garden center to get trees for my garden but it's about 30km away, is there any good excuse I could use if I'm stopped? Especially if someone else is with me in the car?
    How many checkpoints have you come across lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

None but I don't usually drive very far from my house... Why is there not many checkpoints recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

Horticulture is deemed one of the essential services and given the bare root planting season will be over before the restrictions are eased you shouldn't get any bother. Unless you can arrange for the nursery to delivery which would save any confrontation.
    In saying all that, I haven't seen a checkpoint mid week around here for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As of 8am today, 423 #COVID19 patients are hospitalised, of which 103 are in ICU with 14 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Depends on where you are. I had three last week within my 5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Just on the above.They might not be on €350 pw. The €350 only applies to people who were earning in excess of €400 pw before they were forced out of a job. Four rates apply €203, €250, €300, €350.

Thats in theory, in reality i know somebody who quit his/her part time job (through agency, less less than 400 pw) and went straight onto €350 PUP, when it should be €203 pw JB with up to 9 week disqualification for leaving work voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Depends on where you are. I had three last week within my 5km.
    i travel a good bit because of work and though Garda have given up.

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Thats in theory, in reality i know somebody who quit his/her part time job (through agency, less less than 400 pw) and went straight onto €350 PUP, when it should be €203 pw JB with up to 9 week disqualification for leaving work voluntarily.
    Many went straight onto €350 at the beginning but once Welfare got to review cases they were adjusted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Loads of them all around Dublin every day. They seem to focus on the routes into the city centre for some reason, even though there's nothing to be going in there for unless you are working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Last 9 Sunday's

January 10th - 4842
    January 17th - 3231
    January 24th - 1910
    January 31st - 1414
    February 7th - 1024
    February 14th - 788
    February 21st - 679
    February 28th - 612
    March 7th - 525

Last 9 Sunday's

January 10th - 4842
    January 17th - 3231
    January 24th - 1910
    January 31st - 1414
    February 7th - 1024
    February 14th - 788
    February 21st - 679
    February 28th - 612
    March 7th - 525

Decreases of :
    33%
    40%
    26%
    28%
    23%
    27%
    10%
    14%

Should get us below one hundred cases by end of May or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭thebronze14

Visiting a vulnerable family member...Dropping a friend of to work as they have no car, driving home with your flatmate from the shop. Don't need to overthink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Mike3549 wrote: »

So you know someone but don't know if they are a man or a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

celt262 wrote: »
    So you know someone but don't know if they are a man or a woman?

Could be both! it is 2021 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Wow

Have they any restrictions at all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement