Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Comments

Have you spent sometime inside yourself

Yes, yes I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes, yes I have.

TV licence? Worth the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

faceman wrote: »
    Right so, you’re considering a family bereavement a conflict of interest?

Wooo there. Absolutely not.

AFAIK funerals are essential travel and thus are allowed. With regard to quarantine that would be tough but we are not there yet if you live in Spain.

They are really trying to contain the Austrian outbreak of S.A variant. Hopefully they can.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1359910294764609543?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

...It would mean if Johnny and Mary are in Lanzarote now and want to fly home to Ireland in 2 weeks time and this Monday, Spain/Canaries gets added to that list, Johnny and Mary have to pay €4k for a 2 week stay in mandatory hotel quarantine.

Isnt there something that if Johnny and Mary are TDs, elected local reps or journos then they wont have to ?

( science has shown that these classes of person are superior to your actual run of the mill riff-raff and would never, ever get or spread any sort of nasty bug )*

* - perhaps its more to facilitate MM's vanity aspiration to infect POTUS ( he that is in his late 70s and careful to a fault ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

....They are really trying to contain the Austrian outbreak of S.A variant....

?u=http%3A%2F%2Faemstatic-ww1.azureedge.net%2Fcontent%2Fhydro%2Fen%2Farticles%2F2015%2F04%2Fcivil-engineering-contract-awarded-for-austria-s-940-mw-koralm-pumped-storage-plant%2F_jcr_content%2Fleftcolumn%2Farticle%2Fheaderimage.img.jpg%2F1428951699778.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Austria ?

As in the country that shares border with 7 other countries ?

Joke ?

• Advertisement

TV licence? Worth the time

Not relevant. I have been inside them and seen the faculties, people and reasons they are there

Comparing a hotel that people agreed to stay in freely, to them is laughable

You can call it a hotel all you want. But to suggest that the traveller “agrees” to stay given they have no choice of hotel or say in the matter is incredibly blinkered and short sighted. The traveller isn’t selecting a hotel on booking.com. We’re not talking about tourists here.

Prisoners are given exercise time daily. “Quarantine hotel guests” aren’t.

Prisoners are allowed visitors. “Quarantine hotel guests” aren’t.

Prisoners are allowed social time with other inmates. “Quarantine hotel guests” aren’t

Prisoners are allowed compassionate leave. “Quarantine hotel guests” aren’t.

International travellers who despite producing negative covid results have less freedoms than confirmed covid cases and their close contacts.

PS. Do you always mock people who have a different opinion to you?

I'm confused, aren't you the one trying to say they are the same?

And yes, they absolutely 100% have agreed too stay as part of their entry requirements. Do you oppose all entry requirements? Are we somehow 'forced' to undergo medical procedures by the Spanish authorities because they require a negative test?

I mock silliness. Your post is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Everything points to travelers of any nationality (Irish citizens included) who fly into Ireland and their origin is any country on the red list, has to stay in mandatory hotel quarantine and pay themeselves, potentially €2k.

It would mean if Johnny and Mary are in Lanzarote now and want to fly home to Ireland in 2 weeks time and this Monday, Spain/Canaries gets added to that list, Johnny and Mary have to pay €4k for a 2 week stay in mandatory hotel quarantine.
    As the new hotel quarantine plan doesn't seem to be a coordinated European effort.. Johnny and Mary would be wise to fly first to another European country not on the red list, and make their way to Ireland from there.

Soon there will hardly be any direct flights to sun destinations left anyway, so it will be much harder to trace where people started their journey. I spoke to people who arrived from Brazil this week without any issues or questions asked (after transiting in Germany as there are no direct Brazil to Ireland flights).

In the meantime today:

https://twitter.com/Michaelkelly707/status/1359988168607563779

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You can call it a hotel all you want. But to suggest that the traveller “agrees” to stay given they have no choice of hotel or say in the matter is incredibly blinkered and short sighted. The traveller isn’t selecting a hotel on booking.com. We’re not talking about tourists here.

Prisoners are allowed social time with other inmates. “Quarantine hotel guests” aren’t
    International travellers who despite producing negative covid results have less freedoms than confirmed covid cases and their close contacts.
    PS. Do you always mock people who have a different opinion to you?

Again people choose to travel.and if they do so they know they will have to quarantine.

What's the alternative - throw everything out the window and allow unfettered inward and outward travel? Or?

Serious question - do you spend the same amount of effort giving out abouts for example Spains restrictions as you do ours?

Notably you seem to be against practically every restriction that has been brought in in Ireland to help reduce the spread of infection - despite similar / stronger restrictions being introduced in many other countries. What gives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dental charges are fairly high here in fairness.
    ...gardaí at the National Immigration Bureau have noticed that on some flights to sunnier climes, between 30% and 40% of people travelling have dental appointments awaiting them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0211/1196594-covid-19-restrictions-tenerife-essential-international-travel-dental-medical-appointments/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

IQO wrote: »

Counting the flights in the sky.. that is some next level curtain twitching right there. Extreme twitching if you will.

Good to see done countries starting to wave in vaccinated travelers, with no restrictions. I’ll be getting a vaccine in the UK so hopefully not too long before I join that privileged group

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Yep I had root canal treatment in Poland last summer, about 20% of price in Ireland. Weather was great, pubs were open, and there was much less Covid than in Dublin.

josip wrote: »

Wallander wrote: »
    Yep I had root canal treatment in Poland last summer, about 20% of price in Ireland. Weather was great, pubs were open, and there was much less Covid than in Dublin.

Weather was crap here, dental charges Are high, covud was basically non existent though, so you are wrong in that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

josip wrote: »

Any recommendations for where to go for the best dentist this summer? Lanzarote, Santa Ponsa, Vilamoura, Malaga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have a feeling foreign dentists are going to start making a fortune:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

poisonated wrote: »
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports/

Until level 5 is lifted at least.

Seems more related to staff safety etc rather than preventing travel. Refusing to issue passports to prevent travel would certainly be illegal can't see any legislation changing that

mmclo wrote: »
    Straightforward court case for somebody, this is the most basic right of a citizen and a basic principle of international law

Knock yourself out maybe John and Gemma can join you in court

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm confused, aren't you the one trying to say they are the same?

And yes, they absolutely 100% have agreed too stay as part of their entry requirements. Do you oppose all entry requirements? Are we somehow 'forced' to undergo medical procedures by the Spanish authorities because they require a negative test?

I mock silliness. Your post is silly.

Do keep up Niner, if you are going to engage in intelligent debate. Numerous times I have already given my position on travel which includes testing and depending on the circumstances, isolation/quarantine/iceland model.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Again people choose to travel.and if they do so they know they will have to quarantine.

What's the alternative - throw everything out the window and allow unfettered inward and outward travel? Or?

Serious question - do you spend the same amount of effort giving out abouts for example Spains restrictions as you do ours?

Notably you seem to be against practically every restriction that has been brought in in Ireland to help reduce the spread of infection - despite similar / stronger restrictions being introduced in many other countries. What gives?

And again, I have already given my perspective on restrictions already. Just because I dont agree with your view doesn't mean I hold a polar opposite view. I am closer aligned with the Icelandic model. I support pre and post departure testing (and have since pandemic started). I support a current restriction on holiday travel where a risk is posed.

If there is bonafide scientific evidence of a need to restrict travel from countries were a variant poses a significant risk to Ireland then quarantine options should be considered but should not be considered as the permanent solution. This is a view upheld by WHO, ECDC and infectious disease experts in Ireland. I strongly believe that we should not be introducing quarantine detention centre hotels for intra EU travel unless a threat emerges. (which may be the case with Austria, as mentioned before Im not fully up on that so its unfair of me to say otherwise)

And as for complaining about Spanish restrictions, you should see my posts in the Spanish forums. Car park covid rules and wearing masks while exercising outdoors are current bug bearers.

I also abide by all rules, even when I don't like them. (In Spain and in Ireland when Im there) Even the dumb rule for mask wearing when going for a run.

Do keep up Niner, if you are going to engage in intelligent debate. Numerous times I have already given my position on travel which includes testing and depending on the circumstances, isolation/quarantine/iceland model.

Dodgy dodgy doesnt catchy monkey. I have asked straight questions. you listed a lot of stuff that applies to detention centres and prisoners but not quarantine hotels so again, how did that prove they are the same?

How is it against human rights to set requirements for entry into the country?

By all means disagree with the requirement but when you insist on making the above claims, they require backing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dodgy dodgy doesnt catchy monkey. I have asked straight questions. you listed a lot of stuff that applies to detention centres and prisoners but not quarantine hotels so again, how did that prove they are the same?

How is it against human rights to set requirements for entry into the country?

By all means disagree with the requirement but when you insist on making the above claims, they require backing

Now we’re getting somewhere and you’re speaking more on point. Not sure where your human rights question is coming from but it’s one of many issues. A lot of Irish people have cited Australia as an example to follow. Quarantine has been a controversial measure in Oz with certain parts of the medical profession pushing for home quarantine alternatives

First and foremost believe it or not there is no universal guidance regarding the infrastructure for a quarantine facility. The WHO acknowledge this and offer only basic guidelines to governments. Many countries do not permit any compassionate exemptions to the quarantined. Remember, these are not confirmed carriers of covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/hotel-quarantine-a-disaster-and-vulnerable-people-should-be-allowed-home-doctor-says

https://www.qhrc.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/30215/2020.12.09-Media-statement-More-transparency-needed-in-hotel-quarantine-decision-making.pdf

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/windows-should-be-mandatory-in-quarantine-say-doctors/13017972

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/fresh-air-hotel-quarantine/12801290

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronavirus/bombshell-email-shown-at-victorias-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-reveals-brett-sutton-had-moral-and-legal-concerns/news-story/574ec2b3bf0e500db4ea589d37a0b887

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/04/australian-travelers-complain-about-5-star-hotel-quarantine/

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/public-service-deficiencies-laid-bare-in-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-20200929-p560di.html

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/cho-defends-hotel-quarantine-amid-concerns-from-human-rights-watchdog-20201210-p56mc7.html

https://www.hrlc.org.au/news/2020/8/20/human-rights-will-help-governments-make-the-right-decisions-on-quarantine

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/quarantine-must-change-to-protect-those-being-detained-20200820-p55nsu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I haven't read too much of this thread. I would be in favour of staying put and stopping movement to limit the spread and decrease the mortality rates, covid likes to move and soon we will be vaccinated against it. I do believe we may need yearly vaccinations and some parts of the world won't get them - I also think the day of cheap sir travel may be over - it's not covid that will stop holidays abroad it's economy and cost.

We may be looking at foreign holidays as a luxury we simply won't be able to afford.

Now we’re getting somewhere and you’re speaking more on point. Not sure where your human rights question is coming from but it’s one of many issues. A lot of Irish people have cited Australia as an example to follow. Quarantine has been a controversial measure in Oz with certain parts of the medical profession pushing for home quarantine alternatives

right, your just going to dodge the questions put to you about your use of the term 'detention centre' and the list of items that actually do happen in prisons compared to hotels, its against peoples rights and how the state is forcing people against their will.

I can ask again if you would like?
    I got mocked in another thread for calling quarantine hotels “detention centres”. This article proves my point. Looking at this article how is not considered a detention centre?

https://jrnl.ie/5351608

Ignoring the fact that you used the Journal as a source dispite the fact they cant even get the basics about 5km right, why do you insist on using the term 'detention centres' instead of 'quarantine centre' even?

Heres the second part, the part where you actually showed a marked seperation between the hotels and detention centres.

and for the third time I will ask you in what way have people no say in this considering it will be a pre-requisite in entering the state from abroad just like any other entry requirement placed on a foreign national who wishes to enter and they are absolutely free to choose not to buy the ticket, get on the plane and voluntarily go through passport control?

They can even opt out at passport control and will be facilitated with arranging a return flight to where they originated if they so desire. As opposed to a detention centre as you mentioned above, a place where people are held against their will and did not agree or freely enter in the first place.

Do you consider the tennis players in Australia to have been detained against their will?
    Do you consider requiring a negative test to be against your will and forced medical intervention?

Its no different, its a requirement of entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

First and foremost believe it or not there is no universal guidance regarding the infrastructure for a quarantine facility. The WHO acknowledge this and offer only basic guidelines to governments. Many countries do not permit any compassionate exemptions to the quarantined. Remember, these are not confirmed carriers of covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/hotel-quarantine-a-disaster-and-vulnerable-people-should-be-allowed-home-doctor-says

https://www.qhrc.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/30215/2020.12.09-Media-statement-More-transparency-needed-in-hotel-quarantine-decision-making.pdf

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/windows-should-be-mandatory-in-quarantine-say-doctors/13017972

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/fresh-air-hotel-quarantine/12801290

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronavirus/bombshell-email-shown-at-victorias-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-reveals-brett-sutton-had-moral-and-legal-concerns/news-story/574ec2b3bf0e500db4ea589d37a0b887

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/04/australian-travelers-complain-about-5-star-hotel-quarantine/

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/public-service-deficiencies-laid-bare-in-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-20200929-p560di.html

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/cho-defends-hotel-quarantine-amid-concerns-from-human-rights-watchdog-20201210-p56mc7.html

https://www.hrlc.org.au/news/2020/8/20/human-rights-will-help-governments-make-the-right-decisions-on-quarantine

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/quarantine-must-change-to-protect-those-being-detained-20200820-p55nsu.html

I find the whole threatening to litigious a bit silly. We have laws and constitution. Any measures will be tested as they have been through out this. (See Gemma and John's historic case or Ryanairs PR stunt). It's very telling when someone says something is illegal or quotes human rights but then doesn't relate it to the particular law or legislation that is being violated or how a measure relates to it. It's usually an unfounded threat.

Take for instance David Kenny's opinion. He is assistant professor of law at Trinity College Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mandatory-quarantine-allowable-under-the-constitution-1.4476110

Seems to the same here. I notice anyone from government nor the attorney general have detailed any specific issues with it.
    Quarantine of this sort engages serval constitutional rights. First, it is a deprivation of liberty, a right protected in Article 40.4 of the Constitution. The courts have also recognised a constitutional right to travel that would be restricted, directly or indirectly, by this measure. These are serious rights restrictions.

Crucially, however, constitutional rights are not absolute. Not every restriction on liberty or travel is unconstitutional. Restricting liberty is only unconstitutional if it is done otherwise than in accordance with law and basic constitutional principles. And rights can generally be restricted in the interests of advancing the common good or protecting the rights of others, once this is done proportionately.
    In considering a law that restricts rights, courts apply a proportionality test. First, the courts ask does the law restricting rights pursue an important objective in the public good. They will then consider if the law only violates rights as little as it needs to achieve this objective, and is not arbitrary or irrational.

Finally, the courts consider if the good done by the law can be said to justify-if it is in proportion to-the harm done to the rights
    In applying this test, the courts give significant leeway to the Oireachtas..

That body is more skilled in making the complex decisions and trade offs needed for effective policy making.
    It is also accountable to the people.

As regards OZ

It's constitutional there.

It may have been controversial but AFIK it hasn't been found to be illegal or unconstitutional.

They've a similar legal system inherited from them being a colony just like us.
    Quarantine power

Section 51(ix) of the Constitution provides that the Commonwealth can pass laws for the peace, order and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to quarantine.

The quarantine power has primarily been relied upon in the area of public health.[94] Public health ranges from the regulation of disease prevention to the regulation of tobacco and alcohol.

right, your just going to dodge the questions put to you about your use of the term 'detention centre' and the list of items that actually do happen in prisons compared to hotels, its against peoples rights and how the state is forcing people against their will.

I can ask again if you would like?

You twist words to suit your agenda. I don’t know how often you need it spelled out to you
    wrote:
    Ignoring the fact that you used the Journal as a source dispite the fact they cant even get the basics about 5km right, why do you insist on using the term 'detention centres' instead of 'quarantine centre' even?

Do you want to publish a list of sources that are acceptable to you? :rolleyes:
    wrote:

Heres the second part, the part where you actually showed a marked seperation between the hotels and detention centres.

Exactly
    wrote:
    and for the third time I will ask you in what way have people no say in this considering it will be a pre-requisite in entering the state from abroad just like any other entry requirement placed on a foreign national who wishes to enter and they are absolutely free to choose not to buy the ticket, get on the plane and voluntarily go through passport control?

They can even opt out at passport control and will be facilitated with arranging a return flight to where they originated if they so desire. As opposed to a detention centre as you mentioned above, a place where people are held against their will and did not agree or freely enter in the first place.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, I’m not talking about tourism. Irish citizens and residents, Irish people with sick or dying family, what choice do they have again?
    wrote:
    Do you consider the tennis players in Australia to have been detained against their will?

Not familiar or interested in professional sport. Probably not a good idea to use sports players are a point of reference. Did many of them go through Dublin Airport in the last 6 weeks?
    wrote:
    Do you consider requiring a negative test to be against your will and forced medical intervention?

Its no different, its a requirement of entry.

Why are you comparing a covid test with mandatory detention? It’s just undermining your argument. You’re out of your depth Niner

I find the whole threatening to litigious a bit silly. We have laws and constitution. Any measures will be tested as they have been through out this. (See Gemma and John's historic case or Ryanairs PR stunt). It's very telling when someone says something is illegal or quotes human rights but then doesn't relate it to the particular law or legislation that is being violated or how a measure relates to it. It's usually an unfounded threat.

Take for instance David Kenny's opinion. He is assistant professor of law at Trinity College Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mandatory-quarantine-allowable-under-the-constitution-1.4476110

Seems to the same here. I notice anyone from government nor the attorney general have detailed any specific issues with it.

As regards OZ

It's constitutional there.

It may have been controversial but AFIK it hasn't been found to be illegal or unconstitutional.

They've a similar legal system inherited from them being a colony just like us.

I suggest reading the sources I posted. Just because something is currently legal doesn’t make it right. After all in the Irish constitution it’s states a woman’s place is in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Majority of SF's support base is wasters who wouldn't know work if it introduced itself with a cover letter, they'll still get the Dole. It's the workers who will feel the pinch.
    Baseless comments considering that sf got the hishest percentage vote in the country unless you think that we had a 25% unemploynment. Btw, what in the blue hell has sf got to do with a travel thread. I assume you're such a honourable ff/fg type that when you went abroad (during a pandemic:(), i presme you reastricted your movements. did you fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Baseless comments considering that sf got the hishest percentage vote in the country unless you think that we had a 25% unemploynment. Btw, what in the blue hell has sf got to do with a travel thread. I assume you're such a honourable ff/fg type that when you went abroad (during a pandemic:(), i presme you reastricted your movements. did you fcuk.

well said, i voted SF in the GE, as did nearly every person i know.

but sure we're all wasters, scumbags, paddys day shams etc etc.

In answer to the thread title.......5 more days. Cant come fast enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Always wondered is moving abroad to live with a partner or family member 'essential' under the current travel regulations in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RobitTV wrote: »
    Always wondered is moving abroad to live with a partner or family member 'essential' under the current travel regulations in Ireland?

As per here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/701/made/en/print

Such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence in order to -

(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary.

Nothing concrete about it being domestically or abroad, if you can prove it - no issue really.

why dont you find out

Yes it is

Yes it is

but now he cant always wonder

but now he cant always wonder

Thanks for contributing so much as always :rolleyes: we continue to be honoured.

• Advertisement

Thanks for contributing so much as always :rolleyes:

what do you contribute by asking a question that has been answered multiple times :rolleyes:

how long were you wondering about this

what do you contribute by asking a question that has been answered multiple times :rolleyes:

how long were you wondering about this

This is a thread about travel, and the whole point of this thread is to discuss, debate and for people to come here and ask questions. You only realised this now?

Sorry for asking a question. You can now continue to waffle on.

This is a thread about travel, and the whole point of this thread is to discuss, debate and for people to come here and ask questions. You only realised this now?

Sorry for asking a question. You can now continue to waffle on.

no seriously, it can't be said you haven't been in the thread right it has been answered maybe 50 times i mean a quick old google will provide the answer

no seriously, it can't be said you haven't been in the thread right it has been answered maybe 50 times i mean a quick old google will provide the answer

No seriously, why do you happen to be so bothered by a question? do we have to run each and every question past you for permission now?

If you don't want to answer then simply scroll past it. Let's move on.

It hasn't been answered '50 times' either. If that was the case, then asking the question would be unnecessary.

No seriously, why do you happen to be so bothered by a question? do we have to run each and every question past you for permission now?

If you don't want to answer then simply scroll past it. Let's move on.

It hasn't been answered '50 times' either.

it has, at least

if you can't hack it put me on ignore

i moved on ages ago

• Advertisement

it has, at least

if you can't hack it put me on ignore

Let's not go around in pointless circles. This is way off topic.

Just move on. Everyone is entitled to ask a question on a discussion forum.

Relevant to the discussion as many countries in the EU talk about this being a milestone for reopening to tourism

https://twitter.com/naomiohreally/status/1360162279090757637?s=21

Majorca

The Mallorcan tourist industry has said that they will be ready for when Britons can start travelling again and hope to welcome thousands of British tourists to the island this summer. Maria Frontera, President of the Mallorcan Hoteliers Federation said that everything must be in place to welcome back British tourists.

On Tuesday, travel giant Tui said it had taken, 2.8 million bookings for summer 2021 with the average price of a holiday 20% up on 2019. “The scope for consumer spending is high. The significant increase in spending on booked travel reflects this very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Majorca

The Mallorcan tourist industry has said that they will be ready for when Britons can start travelling again and hope to welcome thousands of British tourists to the island this summer. Maria Frontera, President of the Mallorcan Hoteliers Federation said that everything must be in place to welcome back British tourists.

On Tuesday, travel giant Tui said it had taken, 2.8 million bookings for summer 2021 with the average price of a holiday 20% up on 2019. “The scope for consumer spending is high. The significant increase in spending on booked travel reflects this very clearly.

And yet the Transport secretary for the UK has said they have no timeframe for easing restrictions and they don't know whether foreign travel will be permitted during the summer.

The tourism/aviation industry has no inside knowledge. They're just trying to generate revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm off work this week and one item on my to-do list was apply for passport renewal for two of the younglings (expired June 2020). Even if they're not processing applications, there's nothing wrong with sending them in, is there? Or could the documents get trapped forever in the post?
    I don't want to be stuck for another year when restrictions lift because we can't get passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Wondering if anyone has advice - I want to move abroad, currently living at my family home in the middle of no where, working from home for the past year and very much stuck in a rut (I had been anxious to change jobs even before covid and then I just got complacent).
    I am under no illusions that it will be that much better abroad but I just need a change. I want to move to a city (considered cities in Ireland but I want a change).

Has anyone any recommendations on a country/city to move to? Main points:
    - Would like to move to a large city where a car is not needed.
    - Hopefully somewhere where maybe restrictions are a little less severe?
    - I'm female in my 20s so somewhere safe is important, i will probably live in a house share too
    - Also note I work in IT, and would like to have a job secured before I go, so would need to be an English speaking country/have plenty of English speaking jobs.
    - I am aiming to leave here in July or August (think thats a safe bet that most countries will be in an OK position by then, I know it might go into lockdown again though)

I was thinking maybe England - I know at the moment their restrictions are as bad as ours, but on a whole last year they seemed to ease restrictions a lot more, and a lot sooner than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm off work this week and one item on my to-do list was apply for passport renewal for two of the younglings (expired June 2020). Even if they're not processing applications, there's nothing wrong with sending them in, is there? Or could the documents get trapped forever in the post?
    I don't want to be stuck for another year when restrictions lift because we can't get passports.

Same boat, ours are due for renewal very soon, as soon as we can we'll be airborne, we don't want anything holding that up.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Wondering if anyone has advice - I want to move abroad, currently living at my family home in the middle of no where, working from home for the past year and very much stuck in a rut (I had been anxious to change jobs even before covid and then I just got complacent).
    I am under no illusions that it will be that much better abroad but I just need a change. I want to move to a city (considered cities in Ireland but I want a change).

- I'm female in my 20s so somewhere safe is important, i will probably live in a house share too
    - Also note I work in IT, and would like to have a job secured before I go, so would need to be an English speaking country/have plenty of English speaking jobs.
    - I am aiming to leave here in July or August (think thats a safe bet that most countries will be in an OK position by then, I know it might go into lockdown again though)

I was thinking maybe England - I know at the moment their restrictions are as bad as ours, but on a whole last year they seemed to ease restrictions a lot more, and a lot sooner than us.

Yes, I think England, and if London isnt your thing, I would recommend Bristol. Nice looking city, young population, great parks, lots of space, docks, sea not far away, pretty chilled, affordable accommodation, good coffee, not a car friendly city (you wouldn't want a car there even if you had one) but they have Zipcars if you want to get out of town. It has everything you want and need in a city, but has quite a villagey feel in some of the districts (like Clifton, Cotham and Redlands).

If I were to move to the UK permanently, it would be the top of my list by a distance

And, in normal times, direct 40 minute flights to Dublin, and the Pembroke to Rosslare ferry is only a couple of hours away

(and the restrictions aren't as bad, even now. There is no limit on distance from your home, for example)

If you dont already have a job secured, language barriers are going to be your biggest obstacle. The UK is immediate choice. You could also look at job options in Belgium, Luxembourg and Barcelona.

Its too hard to tell what restrictions if any will be in place by the summer. Unless some vaccine resistant mutation emerges I would imagine most of Europe bar Ireland will have a lot more freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Does it have to be English speaking? Copenhagen might be a good bet if not. I am having similar thoughts myself albeit I have more ties and would be very difficult to uproot but I am so disillusioned with quality of life here that the fantasy of moving away is quickly becoming a possibility. It wouldn't just be my own decision to make though. Whatever about restrictions I dont think there is a country in the world who are totally all consumed by Covid like we are. Every chat show and column inch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement