Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

hurler32 wrote: »
    I work from home a bit but find it quite isolating and lonely if the truth be told . Anyone else think this ?

Yes at times. I like the mix some time at home, some time in the office.

Yurt! wrote: »
    As smart as you are I are, and generally Irish people are not dummies - there's always someone out there with an internet connection who is that bit smarter, that bit more motivated, that bit more willing to work odd hours, and that bit more willing to work for less than you.

Hell, they need not even be as good as you, just 'good enough' and will accept less money than you.

Basically, Thomas Friedman's thesis in his book The World is Flat.

There always people better and cheaper. Rarely are they better and cheaper. Even when there is. There are almost always people who prefer working with you than anyone else. Or just want you on site. Even when I worked remotely that I could come into the office a few days in week was the reason I got the contract instead of someone 100% remotely.

I've been working with all nationalities and outsourcing for decades.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Have you ever trained your replacement in China (or India, Poland, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc) and then been made redundant? I know I'm not the only one has.

Whether or not your job gets outsourced has got absolutely nothing to do with whether you are in an office or working remotely.

If anything , working remotely lowers fixed costs for your employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Outsourcing has been going on for at least 30 years if not more and it has not lead to mass unemployment work seems to evolve in ways that no one can forecast.

3D printers were going to lead to all sorts.

The Japanese were going to take over the world.

Plus millions of similar examples.

My favorite is how kindles were going to lead to the death of books, in fact the exact opposite happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

mariaalice wrote: »
    My favorite is how kindles were going to lead to the death of books, in fact the exact opposite happened.

Kindle was never bad for books only book stores. Sure it was developed by the largest retailer of books in the world why would they try and destroy books sales !.
    Kindle has reduced the cost to market so we are seeing more books published than ever before and expenditure on books has slightly increased every year.

The book shop though has been decimated and the increase in sale of physical books recently is a dead cat bounce.
    Book stores will never recover to the level they were at and will only survive in small niche markets going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Work from home about 80% of the time, the other 20% I am travelling around Europe to client meetings.

It works for me as a famine/feast, when I'm at home, I am really at home, but then I'm completely removed from my family when I travel. Absolutely agree with other posters if you are wfh permanently:
    that you need a proper office space,
    other people in house need to understand you are at work,
    and you need to remember to clock off at a regular time.

I also find that I need to schedule some time out of the house most days, e.g. lunch out with someone, morning/evening run...

My job is basically sales, and my internal team is based throughout Europe so being based in an office is impossible. So I'm not sure my job will be sent to India anytime soon.

Kindle was never bad for books only book stores. Sure it was developed by the largest retailer of books in the world why would they try and destroy books sales !.
    Kindle has reduced the cost to market so we are seeing more books published than ever before and expenditure on books has slightly increased every year.

The book shop though has been decimated and the increase in sale of physical books recently is a dead cat bounce.
    Book stores will never recover to the level they were at and will only survive in small niche markets going forward.

That is my point innovations change the market, did everyone who worked in a book shop become unemployed? I doubt it they just move on to something else.

My husband dose a tiny bit of home working and if im there its hard not to talk to him ask him if he wants a cup of tea or coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I eat too much when I work from home. Snack all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I have the option of working from home. I do enjoy not having to commute, but my kids are homeschooled too so it can get a bit distracting. I do 3/4 days a week at home.

I've just been talking to my manager about working form home permanently for the foreseeable. Our team look after mobile devices and our work is deemed as critical, so they dont want to take any risks with us going in to the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I work from Home almost entirely since I took a new job last May.

Most of what is said on the thread rings true for me. It can entirely depend on your character and discipline as to whether it will work for you.

I have two kids for example. But them being loud does not distract me if they are being loud in a positive fashion. If they start arguing or kicking off or getting hurt or whatever then I am distracted easily as I go into "dad mode". But if they are just playing and being happy then they can be screaming up and down the halls and I barely notice. Others might not be the same. They might find the slight noise of play even too much.

I do struggle a little with the self-discipline. But usually only when the work load is low and hard to focus on. If I am busy I am focused. If I am finding myself unchallenged, or frustrated and held up waiting for responses from coworkers, it is hard not to switch a Computer game on.

Quite often in my last job I would commute home, which cost time. Then at home I would have to do something that took up time. Go back out shopping. Go for my run. What I find now is that I step away from the computer at 12 and I do that thing then as part of my lunch break. When you add commute times and lunch times together therefore, I find I have a good chunk of time 1-2 hours more for myself or my family in the evening.

Hardest part for me is communicating with others. Sure email and skype works but as programming and user support is a part of what I do.... there are sometimes when you feel you could really just do with sitting down with the user to understand their issue, or explain your fix/solution that you can not do remotely. So I do try to spend a week here and there in the office/hotel to pack in workshops and software releases in person.

Was meant to be doing that this week in fact, but only because the government has been asking for a reduction in non-essential travel I decided to call it off and stay at home for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hurler32 wrote: »
    I work from home a bit but find it quite isolating and lonely if the truth be told . Anyone else think this ?

Yeah same, not good for the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

zweton wrote: »

You really need to have a balance. I don't think it's great if you're home all day. I work from home but I'd have a school drop if it's raining and some shopping done before 9am. Then kids in at lunch, back to work and then it's on to dinner, chat with the kids and husband, head out for exercise, activity or whatever.

If I wasn't in and out of the house like a jack in the box I couldn't work from home all day every day.

Also, I'm not sure if working at home does much for career progression in some instances, something to bear in mind. I'm settled in my job and happy at my level, I have family responsibilities and priorities so happy to plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

zweton wrote: »

Yep, could work nearly ever day at home but normally only do two days a week as miss the banter and general interaction in work.

Tried doing a week and didn't really like it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Baseball72

i try to work from home on a set day - sometimes when I maybe have a private appointment locally (i.e. visit to gp/physio/ - around lunch time).

I also make visits to clients premises for meetings (though not so much right now!) and find it better to go directly from home to the meetings. If I go to the office first, one can get distracted and then end up rushing to the appointment with the client.

A balance in all things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

threetrees wrote: »
    You really need to have a balance. I don't think it's great if you're home all day. I work from home but I'd have a school drop if it's raining and some shopping done before 9am. Then kids in at lunch, back to work and then it's on to dinner, chat with the kids and husband, head out for exercise, activity or whatever.

If I wasn't in and out of the house like a jack in the box I couldn't work from home all day every day.

Also, I'm not sure if working at home does much for career progression in some instances, something to bear in mind. I'm settled in my job and happy at my level, I have family responsibilities and priorities so happy to plateau.

It is a valid concern , there's an element of "out of sight , out of mind" to be considered.

In my case , even if I was in the office I'd still be remote from my boss and my peers as they are all in other countries ( US mostly) so just by being in Ireland I am "remote" anyway and have been for almost my entire career.

What that does mean is that you have to put in a bit more work on visibility and communications.
    Because people aren't "seeing you work" and you are missing out on those walk-up conversations or the cups of coffee here and there to catch up on office politics or hearing about new opportunities.

It has taken me some time as it doesn't come naturally to me , but you have to over communicate on your activities and create the chat opportunities. Set up calls with your peers or other key people just as check-ins - Not necessarily work specific task updates , although you can do that , but just a time slot where you can catch up , just as you would in the office in the canteen or at the coffee machine etc.

It can feel a bit contrived at first , but you settle into it and it works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I don't get this feeling of isolation / lonelyness - I would have just as much meaningful interaction when I am remote working as I do in the office. Most offices these days have people wearing headphones to avoid interaction / concentrate.

Also - when you are remote working you can interact with other people - not just work colleagues. I would go for coffee with a friend or the wife every day. Lunch out every second day. I do the school run, get to the gym do errands all before most commuters have even gotten on to the M50.

The reality is that people are about 70% efficient during work hours (i remember hearing about that before) so if you factor in a 9-5 working day, take out 1h30m for sanctioned breaks .. that gives a realistic working day of 6h30m - factor in your 70% efficiencies ... if you are productive for 4h30m a day at home you are on a level playing field. Giving much more scope for daily interaction and family time.

With technology the way it is - many applications in the cloud, secure communications etc you don't even need to be at a desk to be productive - I would have my iPad with me most of the time and can do about 90% of my work on it - so I can be waiting in the carpark of the school at 3pm and working away.

The biggest limitation is people - trust and employers !

I think I might be more productive with my wife looking over my shoulder than sitting in an office on my own.

Most of the places that will worry about people working from home not being efficient, don't measure efficiency the office anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Ficheall wrote: »
    I work from home, paid by the hour. The work is mindnumbingy dull and I have zero self discipline, so bad for the pocket. But I really like the freedom to choose my own hours and travel. At it four years now, and in not sure I will be able to give it up.
    Do I miss meeting people in person? Occasionally, a little, until I meet people in person and remember.
    Haven't left my house in over a week. Not bothered by it.

“Occasionally until you miss people” 😂 what type of work do you do that allows such flexibility? Sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Used to do it at a previous job sometimes, usually just because I was too hungover to get on a train. I didn't like it at all. Cabin fever all day and your day ends and you're still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Today is our first day trialling WFH for the development department!

It was a bit of a **** show this morning, but it was all sorted

It might open the doors to more places allowing it going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My company has been preparing for this for the last month. We're all working from home for the next 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've worked from home for about 3 years, most of which have been with my own company but I had the option of working remotely a few days per week in my last job. I'd echo the sentiments of others that you need to be a certain type of person. A couple of observations I've had:

- People assume that because you are at home then you are not working, so you can look like a right arse when you say you can't talk or make it to something in the middle of the day. Conversely, people try to juggle a social life when they are supposed to be working.

- You need MEGA discipline in terms of getting up, ready and working. Most people can't do this. They stay in the PJs and sweats and rock the laptop on the couch.

- You need a designated workspace. A few days per week at the kitchen table will not only wreck your back, but you'll learn to hate your living space. Your 'home' and work merge as you can never escape them. Don't underestimate the impact of this.

- Co-working spaces are great but you may not like them. They are not like offices. You either never talk to anyone or you are constantly being talked to as they are filled, in my experience, with three types: a) Those that have a remote job but don't actually do anything, they are living the role as opposed to a job b) those with a legit job who are busy working c) those that need social contact and will do anything to have it, often at the detriment of their own and others work.

- Going to the gym and running errands does not replace the social aspect of an office. If you thrive on social interaction, you'll need to increase your after-work social circle. Remote working is lonely and if you have a significant other in the house with you, you'll run out of things to talk about by about lunch. Watch this, your relationships will suffer when you no longer catch up over dinner.

- Working in Starbucks and other cafes is not as great as it seems. They are noisy, you can't take a call and you can only sit there for an hour or two before you either lose the will to live or are kicked out. Ergonomically, they are not designed as workspaces.

- Anyone posting photos of them on a laptop by the beach is lying. This is a pipedream and completely for likes on the 'gram. No one seriously works like this so don't fall for that fallacy.

- I advise people starting out in their careers to avoid remote work. Stay in an office and learn off senior people. Develop soft skills and office politics. They are important and no remote role will teach them. High earning remote roles require experience, something you don't get by being remote all the time.

- You are actually working. Sounds straight forward right? But instead of being in a place that strictly confines your work, it is everywhere and 'always on'. You can't walk away from a remote job as easy as you can in an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

I love working from home, wouldn’t consider a job if it wasn’t offered. I save money, time, my house is always tidier as I can do household chores at lunchtime. I also have a workout all done before I would normally be home from the office. Then I have the rest of the evening free to relax and do what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Already worked from home 2 days a week but will be full time at home for the next few weeks. If that goes well I’ll ask to continue working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I get to work from home on occasion and I love it. I have a dedicated desk in my "man cave" and very rarely use the kitchen table (except occasionally for a change) and never the sofa or coffee table (which is actually very back for your back). I find I'm more productive and can concentrate better without background conversations and loud workers. I couldn't do it all the time though. Three days remote and two in the office would be about perfect, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

My company trialed it yesterday and it went well, as expected seeing as we are a small tech company and everything we use is on the cloud.

Yet the CEO decides we should all still go into our small little office tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. Amazing to see his greed take precedence over the well being of his employees first hand. I'll be f*cking off outta there once this is all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Cina wrote: »
    My company trialed it yesterday and it went well, as expected seeing as we are a small tech company and everything we use is on the cloud.

Yet the CEO decides we should all still go into our small little office tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. Amazing to see his greed take precedence over the well being of his employees first hand. I'll be f*cking off outta there once this is all over.

Alot of bosses like the ego trip of being able to gather "their people" into a room for a meeting on a whim. Its not even a productivity thing, bosses like to see something tangible in the shape of everyone even saying hello in the morning, telling them they look fantastic etc....

You cannot get your ego stroked effectively over skype. And the middle/upper management rarely like to avail of remote working either as being in the office is their opportunity to brown nose. You cannot look like you are doing something remotely.

Advertisement