Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sell sell sell!

All pharma stocks seemed to bounce today (higher than the rest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

retalivity wrote: »
    Sell sell sell!

All pharma stocks seemed to bounce today (higher than the rest)

Especially Genmark Diagnostics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

According to BBC news Flybe airline are on the brink of collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Can someone give me a short explanation of what ye mean by "shorts"?
    Unless you 100% know what you’re doing, don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

weemcd wrote: »
    I’d say they’re one of many travel related companies in trouble. 1st quarter earnings (not just for them) are gonna be fun for short biased traders

weemcd wrote: »

Werent they bailed out a few wks ago? Ryanair price to jump soon so..

XMG wrote: »
    I’d say they’re one of many travel related companies in trouble. 1st quarter earnings (not just for them) are gonna be fun for short biased traders

I was having a peak to see if there was any movement but probably too late at this time for European stocks. Tomorrow will be interesting. I see Lufthansa are grounding flights today.

Dicey waters with knock on effects everywhere. I live in Belfast an 80% of the flights from City airport, my preferred airport, are Flybe.

retalivity wrote: »
    Werent they bailed out a few wks ago? Ryanair price to jump soon so..

My first thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Shorters believe a price will fall.
    Shorts borrow shares through a broker from other shareholders and then sell them.
    This selling creates downward pressure on the price and if accompanied by the negative sentiment that
    they believe exists the price will drop. If the price falls to where they think it should be then they buy back the shares,
    returning them to the broker and pocket the difference minus the expenses for borrowing them.
    Sell at 10, buy back at 5, return the shares and pocket the 5 difference.

I think it should be worth mentioning (but correct me if I'm wrong):
    -Going long you risk losing some or all of your investment
    -Taking a short position there is no limit to how much you could lose

Really should not be done unless you very much know what you are doing (even then, I'm not sure!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I think it should be worth mentioning (but correct me if I'm wrong):
    -Going long you risk losing some or all of your investment
    -Taking a short position there is no limit to how much you could lose

Really should not be done unless you very much know what you are doing (even then, I'm not sure!)

I think you are thinking of underwriting options. It is possible to take a long or short position if cfds and spread betting without the kind of exposure you are talking about

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I wouldn’t get carried away, this won’t last long

We’ll see. Most positions stop loss are at break even now anyway so I can enjoy the ride

the market being green at the moment could be a false breakout to trick people into buying in before it dumps hard on them

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    the market being green at the moment could be a false breakout to trick people into buying in before it dumps hard on them

Could well be. Important to set up trades with a decent r/r to account for losses. Always have to have an edge :)

Just opened a position in ryanair. Risky but lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

I think it'll crash as Easter travel gets absolutely hammered. Many people will have bought seats already for March and may choose not to travel, but the seats are paid for, but many people would be booking now for Easter.

I personally think that Italy are lying about their numbers. How can some many people all over Europe have been affected by travelling to northern Italy, with only 3000 infected ? Makes no sense - the place must be riddled. I can only think that they are trying to protect their tourism

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    I think it'll crash as Easter travel gets absolutely hammered. Many people will have bought seats already for March and may choose not to travel, but the seats are paid for, but many people would be booking now for Easter.

I personally think that Italy are lying about their numbers. How can some many people all over Europe have been affected by travelling to northern Italy, with only 3000 infected ? Makes no sense - the place must be riddled. I can only think that they are trying to protect their tourism

Every school in the country and 3rd level are closed for at least 2 weeks

What does that tell you

championc wrote: »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-03-03/ryanair-ceo-o-leary-on-coronavirus-impact-boeing-s-737-max-jet-video

Easter bookings looking OK so far but will naturally probably be softer. It seems like it is already priced in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-03-03/ryanair-ceo-o-leary-on-coronavirus-impact-boeing-s-737-max-jet-video

Easter bookings looking OK so far but will naturally probably be softer. It seems like it is already priced in.

Not sure the level of hysteria and panic we are going to see over the next week is priced in anywhere. Sentiment drives the markets.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Not sure the level of hysteria and panic we are going to see over the next week is priced in anywhere. Sentiment drives the markets.

Why do you think there will be an increase this particular week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Stating the obvious but short term is going to be very messy. Can't see any light on the horizon.

• Advertisement

Stating the obvious but short term is going to be very messy. Can't see any light on the horizon.

China seem to be coming out the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Waiting for Airlines to really sink before I invest in Delta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Waiting for Airlines to really sink before I invest in Delta

Out of curiosity, what kind of price would you be looking at before you'd make a move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Out of curiosity, what kind of price would you be looking at before you'd make a move?

I see another 15 - 20% dropping from travel companies stocks. I work as a software engineer for a company that provides car rental software and we're seeing a real drop in bookings as a result of this Corona virus. There's real fear in the company!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

US 10 YR is 0.79% this morning, make of that what you will.

*0.77%

.70 WTF! Big day ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

.70 WTF! Big day ahead.

Could we get an explainer for the significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

onrail wrote: »

Those 10 year bonds are an indication of market sentiment, the fact that the rates offered are as low as they are and further dropping shows that they're offering lower returns for a long term guarantee (aka, risky short term). When the rates long term (10yr) are shorter than the (3mo/1yr) rates then it is one sign of a likely recession. My basic understanding of it anyhow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

onrail wrote: »

My understanding is:
    - yields going lower means more investors are trying to buy bonds (willing to take 0.7% return over 10 years than play the market).
    - leaves less money for shares so share prices aren't going to recover today as they have after drops over the past few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Down almost 10% in the last couple of days. Could be more to go. Should be big value there when the time is right. When that is is the big question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

cefh17 wrote: »
    Those 10 year bonds are an indication of market sentiment, the fact that the rates offered are as low as they are and further dropping shows that they're offering lower returns for a long term guarantee (aka, risky short term). When the rates long term (10yr) are shorter than the (3mo/1yr) rates then it is one sign of a likely recession. My basic understanding of it anyhow...

Then again it could just be a question of supply and demand... there is a massive cash surplus looking for a return, so most of the old analysis is unless and was questionable even back then...

Recessions typically follow a seven or eight year cycle and rates are just as likely to reflect people’s expectations as anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I'm turning into a currency speculator these days too.
    Was wondering why there was a big drop this morning and the markets aren't open. US Dollar vs the Euro is taking a hammering today. So my US stock is devaluing away.
    1Euro was $1.11 yesterday. Today it's $1.13. So nearly a 2% drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

massive flight to safety in bonds recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bought some LADR for its dividend today.
    I reckon BA was at serious bargain levels earlier today, didn't have any cash left to deploy myself though. I reckon once the Max does fly BA is going to be north of $400 again rapidly. So while I'm down a bit on it I'm happy enough to bide my time.
    I bet Buffet is licking his chops at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ftse 100 closed at lowest level since 2016 the weekend may provide some respite...but probably more of the same next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Shedite27 wrote: »
    My understanding is:
    - yields going lower means more investors are trying to buy bonds (willing to take 0.7% return over 10 years than play the market).
    - leaves less money for shares so share prices aren't going to recover today as they have after drops over the past few weeks

Oil and bonds are predicting the same thing. Huge global recession. Considering the central banks are going to print into oblivion as deflation will destroy them and their huge debts I’d say you need you need a portfolio to defend against inflation.

So invest in businesses that can raise their prices easily due to inelastic demand and that generate cash. Oil and energy in general is in the gutter at multi decade lows so that will be my play when the time comes.

If everyone is self isolated Netflix is gonna up their subs big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Cheap fuel, low rates, more stimulus, companies with no stock you would think if it blows over we are ready for lift of that's if companies can get through it soon.

Shorts taking profit heading into the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Some rally in the last 45mns, 2nd week in a row. Don’t understand it myself, any logic?

Dow finishes up on the week

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Some rally in the last 45mns, 2nd week in a row. Don’t understand it myself, any logic?

Dow finishes up on the week

Shorts closing positions on the off chance there is good news over the weekend.

Pretty bearish day overall when you look at yields etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Shorts taking profit heading into the weekend.

Yes , and on S+P 3000 is a big level psychologically , it has hovered around it for a while now, if it breaks below the next level is around 2400 , then anything is possible.

About half of portfolio closed out at break even today. Didn't have time to add on last dip. Will look again next week. Still holding 11 stocks for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

8 people have died in Spain from the virus..

Ages of 7 of the 8 have been 87, 91, 76, 99, 87, 79 and 76.
    I don't mean to dismiss their deaths by any means but it's likely had they picked up any 'normal' winter virus
    they would not have survived.

In the UK it's been two, a woman in her 70's and a man in his 80's. The common denominator as in Spain
    has been that they all had underlying medical conditions.

While the virus works it's way around the world and will soon contaminate millions if it hasn't already it is
    not going to wipe out half of the world's population and it looks like it is doing a lot more damage to economies
    than to people's health.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Anheuser-Busch is getting hammered, it owns corona beer
    number 1 imported beer to the US
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/188728/top-imported-beer-brands-in-the-united-states/

adding it to my watch list :cool:

hottipper wrote: »
    Anheuser-Busch is getting hammered, it owns corona beer
    number 1 imported beer to the US
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/188728/top-imported-beer-brands-in-the-united-states/

adding it to my watch list :cool:

I have already added them to my portfolio folio

Bob Harris wrote: »
    8 people have died in Spain from the virus..

Ages of 7 of the 8 have been 87, 91, 76, 99, 87, 79 and 76.
    I don't mean to dismiss their deaths by any means but it's likely had they picked up any 'normal' winter virus
    they would not have survived.

In the UK it's been two, a woman in her 70's and a man in his 80's. The common denominator as in Spain
    has been that they all had underlying medical conditions.

While the virus works it's way around the world and will soon contaminate millions if it hasn't already it is
    not going to wipe out half of the world's population and it looks like it is doing a lot more damage to economies
    than to people's health.

Just my two cents.

Completely agree. It’s the panic that will do the damage. The authorities the world over are already copping on to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Completely agree. It’s the panic that will do the damage. The authorities the world over are already copping on to this.

We were due a recession anyway. Longest economic expansion in history. Half of the stock indices are zombie companies only alive due to the absurdly low cost of debt. If interest rates go up these companies go bankrupt. The junk bond market is already blowing up. It’s a bigger fraud than Enron. But. Don’t take my word for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement