Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I’m tempted by anhauser-busch and norwegian cruise around the mo

Was hearing on the cnn that it could take cruise companies a year to recover. And its still getting worse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

i'm still on the sidelines - my indicators are not green yet lower timeframes maybe but not on the daily. i don't mind being late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

I can't understand the stockmarket rallies of yesterday and likely again today .... think we have not seen the worst of Coronavirus yet ...and the bottom of the market has still not been reached.

a lot of times you see that over reaction to situations and then a bounce back to a reasonable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Was hearing on the cnn that it could take cruise companies a year to recover. And its still getting worse for them.

Yeah. I would think they will at least take that long. But I’m assuming, rightly or wrongly that this is priced in. Also looking at a cruise holiday now. Should be fair discounts to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah. I would think they will at least take that long. But I’m assuming, rightly or wrongly that this is priced in. Also looking at a cruise holiday now. Should be fair discounts to be had!
    Might even get a few weeks extra on the ship at the end for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

NASDAQ 100 gone from 90% green to 90% red in the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

So FED has issued a 0.5% rate cut (bigger cut since 08 if I'm not mistaken).

Not seeing any rally despite this. They're pretty low on ammo now if the markets dump short term.

Sidelines for now.

Ge and boku now showing green. Adding to jd position

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What a day. Historic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Screams of panic. Was expecting maybe .25%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Not seeing any rally despite this. They're pretty low on ammo now if the markets dump short term.

Sidelines for now.

And no impact whatsoever

Trump clutching at straws

Can see another rate cut by June

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

How a rate cut will stop the spread of a virus I don't know.

I think Trump is trying to keep the economy buoyant to get his ass voted in again with the virus as a smokescreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This rate cut actually spooked the market and did damage, unbelievable...

I know Ive been yapping about when the next crash is coming since 2018 on here but things are feeling seriously shakey atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Made money short Tesla and long TVIX today, fairly stress free trades. The rate cut did nothing for the markets, maybe blew out some ES shorts on the pop but that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can someone give me a short explanation of what ye mean by "shorts"?

taking a position in a vehicle in the hope that it will go down in value. Whereas a long is hoping it will go up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LctxzEREE

you would need some money in your account to use as collateral to leverage when you short

eg. If you have €100 and you have leverage capability of 5x, then you theoretically short a stock up to the value of €500
    The higher the leverage you use the riskier it gets, but the gains are also more if it works in your favour

If you're new to this and want to try it, I would suggest 1x leverage and spot trade with a few euro til you get your head around it

Also, check out the rollover fees for holding onto it while the short is in place as these can add up over time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Shorters believe a price will fall.
    Shorts borrow shares through a broker from other shareholders and then sell them.
    This selling creates downward pressure on the price and if accompanied by the negative sentiment that
    they believe exists the price will drop. If the price falls to where they think it should be then they buy back the shares,
    returning them to the broker and pocket the difference minus the expenses for borrowing them.
    Sell at 10, buy back at 5, return the shares and pocket the 5 difference.

Markets seem more positive now. Most positions in the green now.

Markets seem more positive now. Most positions in the green now.

I wouldn’t get carried away, this won’t last long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sell sell sell!

All pharma stocks seemed to bounce today (higher than the rest)

retalivity wrote: »
    Sell sell sell!

All pharma stocks seemed to bounce today (higher than the rest)

Especially Genmark Diagnostics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

According to BBC news Flybe airline are on the brink of collapse.

Unless you 100% know what you’re doing, don’t

weemcd wrote: »
    I’d say they’re one of many travel related companies in trouble. 1st quarter earnings (not just for them) are gonna be fun for short biased traders

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

weemcd wrote: »

Werent they bailed out a few wks ago? Ryanair price to jump soon so..

XMG wrote: »
    I’d say they’re one of many travel related companies in trouble. 1st quarter earnings (not just for them) are gonna be fun for short biased traders

I was having a peak to see if there was any movement but probably too late at this time for European stocks. Tomorrow will be interesting. I see Lufthansa are grounding flights today.

Dicey waters with knock on effects everywhere. I live in Belfast an 80% of the flights from City airport, my preferred airport, are Flybe.

retalivity wrote: »
    Werent they bailed out a few wks ago? Ryanair price to jump soon so..

My first thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Shorters believe a price will fall.
    Shorts borrow shares through a broker from other shareholders and then sell them.
    This selling creates downward pressure on the price and if accompanied by the negative sentiment that
    they believe exists the price will drop. If the price falls to where they think it should be then they buy back the shares,
    returning them to the broker and pocket the difference minus the expenses for borrowing them.
    Sell at 10, buy back at 5, return the shares and pocket the 5 difference.

I think it should be worth mentioning (but correct me if I'm wrong):
    -Going long you risk losing some or all of your investment
    -Taking a short position there is no limit to how much you could lose

Really should not be done unless you very much know what you are doing (even then, I'm not sure!)

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I think it should be worth mentioning (but correct me if I'm wrong):
    -Going long you risk losing some or all of your investment
    -Taking a short position there is no limit to how much you could lose

Really should not be done unless you very much know what you are doing (even then, I'm not sure!)

I think you are thinking of underwriting options. It is possible to take a long or short position if cfds and spread betting without the kind of exposure you are talking about

Advertisement