Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

skoger wrote: »
    What did you do differently between the 2 fields? Extra N? Grazed earlier or tighter?

1st one was reseeded late September. Got too wet to graze it and the double whammy was it was too wet to graze till following April/ May. Then I needed to take silage off it. At that stage it needed 4 of 5 grazings in a row to thicken.

Lesson - reseed wet land in spring/ summer

So 15ac of rough grazing ground sprayed off. 3 days track machine needed, then disc and power harrow. Then roller and wagtail. Will be all done for July 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Whats yer opinion on sinclair mcgill matrix 70 70% with castlehill 30% in a reseed on light dry land?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

just do it wrote: »
    So 15ac of rough grazing ground sprayed off. 3 days track machine needed, then disc and power harrow. Then roller and wagtail. Will be all done for July 5th.

do you need the disc? I just used 2 runs of the power harrow and it did a savage job.

do you need the disc? I just used 2 runs of the power harrow and it did a savage job.

I'd go with chain harrow only if I could but it's very uneven. Currently you couldn't go in with a mower so I've left it with the contractor to decide. I'm assuming he'll go with the disc and power harrow. That's his usual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

No one around here will power harrow grass land.
    why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No one around here will power harrow grass land.
    why?

Is there much difference between power harrows and rotavators?

Saw http://www.donedeal.ie/view/9012279
    1.2M FORIGO ROTAVATOR
    And wondered would it do the job? Stones would prob make ****e of it though

ganmo wrote: »
    Is there much difference between power harrows and rotavators?

Saw http://www.donedeal.ie/view/9012279
    1.2M FORIGO ROTAVATOR
    And wondered would it do the job? Stones would prob make ****e of it though
    Never used any of those machines here so I can't answer that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

I'd go with chain harrow only if I could but it's very uneven. Currently you couldn't go in with a mower so I've left it with the contractor to decide. I'm assuming he'll go with the disc and power harrow. That's his usual

Were there rushes on it? Have a similar field that needs doing. Strong rushes on half then uneven ground from hooves and machinery. Would ploughing not be better for that type of ground? Break up the pan too or will u subsoil?

Just to add. Not only did parts need a disc, some parts required a track machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Just to add. Not only did parts need a disc, some parts required a track machine!

Neighbour did a bit like that last week, was a forest of rushes and had to dig some out and level with digger. Looks good now though!

Grazed the reseed 2 days ago.
    really burst out of it today.
    Would like to get 2 more fields done in august. We'll see how things pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I notice the sward looks very open. Can you only get away with this sort of grass mix in dry land? I normally add one diploid with high ground cover to my mixes because allot of the land can be wet right up to middle of June.

I'd say that grass you have is very palatable and ideal for short rotations?

Oh wait, just realized you said re-seed! oops

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Oh wait, just realized you said re-seed! oops

Yep reseed. Direct drilled so should fill in very well.your right thiugh ill not be able to muck around on it with tanker or muck spreader like we used to. It'll be a bit more sensitive

Yep reseed. Direct drilled so should fill in very well.your right thiugh ill not be able to muck around on it with tanker or muck spreader like we used to. It'll be a bit more sensitive

Is it a hybrid or what are the varieties if you don't mind me asking.

This is a glencar/Delphin/Glenveagh mix for high summer growth but I taking out of rotation. I walked it earlier and it gone past grazing

http://i.imgur.com/gX7XL28.jpg

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Is it a hybrid or what are the varieties if you don't mind me asking.

This is a glencar/Delphin/Glenveagh mix for high summer growth but I taking out of rotation. I walked it earlier and it gone past grazing

http://i.imgur.com/gX7XL28.jpg
    It's abergain. Know farmers with it getting 20t of grass off it
    great crop on that

great crop on that

Jesus that's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

great crop on that

I've used a lot of Abergain over the last few years. Super grass massive output, but would be worried that it's the Holstein of grasses. It's persistancy is very low.
    Doing a reseed soon on silage/grazing ground. Going to put in astonenergy into the mix instead of abergain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

what sprays are people using post emergence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

what sprays are people using post emergence?

Used to use Duplosan b4, but that's not allowed for grassland anymore. Depending on what weeds are there I guess, high load mircam maybe some lads think it's a tad strong for newly emerging grass tho. Clover safe ones are useless really. If you have clover eagle or one of those is what's used with something added in for chickweed can't remember the name of it, but this time of year a tight grazing or 2 would sort the chickweed for you if it's there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello lads,

I am doing a small bit of reseeding this year, and was planning on getting the grazing mix from the co-op.

I had a look at it, and it seems as good as anything else - but I will admit I don't know a whole pile about grass seed...

The mix is
    2kg Dunluce High Digestibility
    4kg Tyrella Spring Growth
    4kg Glenroyal Autumn Growth
    2.5kg AstonEnergy High Digestibility
    0.5kg White Clover
    13kg / acre

It will be used for grazing sheep only, no silage.

If ye had any views - am all ears. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

Milked out wrote: »
    Used to use Duplosan b4, but that's not allowed for grassland anymore. Depending on what weeds are there I guess, high load mircam maybe some lads think it's a tad strong for newly emerging grass tho. Clover safe ones are useless really. If you have clover eagle or one of those is what's used with something added in for chickweed can't remember the name of it, but this time of year a tight grazing or 2 would sort the chickweed for you if it's there

I bought Doplosan 2 weeks ago for spraying docks. Lad in coop recommended it to me.
    Why would it not be allowed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Sami23 wrote: »
    I bought Doplosan 2 weeks ago for spraying docks. Lad in coop recommended it to me.
    Why would it not be allowed ?

Someone didn't read the attached leaflet........tut tut!
    (Fourth last line on page 3)
    http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/media/pesticides/content/products/labels/02842%20-%20Duplosan%20KV%20-%202011%20to%20Mar%202014.pdf

Use master crop undersown here.
    It's a mix of mcpa and DB
    always does a good job and doesn't kill clover.
    If weeds are gone too far before I get to spray it we use mcpa and Hurler. Very cheap and does a great job

Hello lads,

I am doing a small bit of reseeding this year, and was planning on getting the grazing mix from the co-op.

I had a look at it, and it seems as good as anything else - but I will admit I don't know a whole pile about grass seed...

The mix is
    2kg Dunluce High Digestibility
    4kg Tyrella Spring Growth
    4kg Glenroyal Autumn Growth
    2.5kg AstonEnergy High Digestibility
    0.5kg White Clover
    13kg / acre

It will be used for grazing sheep only, no silage.

If ye had any views - am all ears. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Check the heading dates that they are in a narrow enough range. Google the dept of ag grass seed recommended list and you'll get all the data you need. For grazing you're recommended to go with late varieties and a high % of diploids, at least 70%. If it's wet ground push that to 80% and look at grasses that have good ground cover.

I'd leave the clover out so that you can go with a good post-emergence spray. YOu can always oversow with clover next year. Maybe not as important as you'll be grazing with sheep but I ain't an expert on grazing sheep!

Regardless of what you sow it will be a damn sight better than what's there already

Check the heading dates that they are in a narrow enough range. Google the dept of ag grass seed recommended list and you'll get all the data you need. For grazing you're recommended to go with late varieties and a high % of diploids, at least 70%. If it's wet ground push that to 80% and look at grasses that have good ground cover.

I'd leave the clover out so that you can go with a good post-emergence spray. YOu can always oversow with clover next year. Maybe not as important as you'll be grazing with sheep but I ain't an expert on grazing sheep!

Regardless of what you sow it will be a damn sight better than what's there already

Cheers JDI - just the info I wanted.

I was actually planning in going with more clover :)
    Post emergence isn't too much of an issue for me so far, maybe it's the sheep. Last autumn reseed I didn't do a post emergence spray at all.

Thanks again.

Cheers JDI - just the info I wanted.

I was actually planning in going with more clover :)
    Post emergence isn't too much of an issue for me so far, maybe it's the sheep. Last autumn reseed I didn't do a post emergence spray at all.

Thanks again.

Do you have a grazing rotation for the sheep? Mighty animals for grazing reseeds I hear, grass really thickens after them

Do you have a grazing rotation for the sheep? Mighty animals for grazing reseeds I hear, grass really thickens after them

I do - not as good as I should as they are too long in each field / paddock at the minute. But will be adding more as we go.

Good for reseeds all right, they can graze into the winter and go right tight if you let em.

• Advertisement

@JDI. Just wondering what was the thinking behind adding Aberchoice and Drumbo to your mix? Looking at the stats they are both very similar.

Advertisement