Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herd of cattle stolen- IFA €10,000 REWARD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Thanks so much to everyone who has supported us at this awful time. On top of losing our herd,many years of work and our livelihood,we have been the recipients of some incredible hate mail. Insurance fraud,karma,tax evasion,stolen cattle being stolen back and several fake profiles set up on FB specifically to verbally abuse us and accuse us of all sorts.
    I just want to make it clear. We have been totally transparent. We are normal farming folk trying to live a quiet life and the loss of our herd is devastating emotionally and financially.
    The reason why there have been no updates on the case is because it is actively on going. We are very pleased with the massive,massive amount of work being done by the police and departments both sides of the border. We feel hopeful that something will come to light very soon. Please be patient and let's hope you can celebrate good news with us very soon.
    We have a FB page 'Find our Livestock' and a Twitter account '@findourstock'
    We would love as many new followers as possible.
    Please help us win this fight-it could be you next. These crooks need to be stopped.

Well done on a composed and dignified response.
    If I was in your your shoes I'd say I would have callasped in a pile on the ground and never risen.
    Please god your stock are alive and well and will be returned to ye before to long.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Well done on a composed and dignified response.
    If I was in your your shoes I'd say I would have callasped in a pile on the ground and never risen.
    Please god your stock are alive and well and will be returned to ye before to long.
    Best of luck.

If i was in your shoes i would be in custody, because by this stage I would have some of the local "wide boys" chained to a wall somewhere and a cordless drill ready, to encourage their cooperation........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If i was in your shoes i would be in custody, because by this stage I would have some of the local "wide boys" chained to a wall somewhere and a cordless drill ready, to encourage their cooperation........

The film unthinkable comes to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'd also like to add that whilst we are overwhelmingly grateful for the very generous offers of replacement stock,we are not accepting anything from anyone. Our primary focus is on finding our stock. For those of you who are casting suspicions in our direction and growing elaborate conspiracy theories that we are somehow involved/owe money/insert other, I applaud your active imaginations.
    I think you will just have to accept that when you go on social media as widespread as you have to highlight this incident that there will be keyboard warriors out there who will come up with all sorts of scenarios to doubt your claims. "The lady doth protest too much" is a phrase that jumps to mind. I think the message is out there that this incident has occurred but unless Gardai release photos etc that there is not a lot anybody can do to help retrieve these animals, its not as if someone is going to drive into my yard and try and sell me a few. So why bring further stress constantly defending yourself, maybe step back a bit from all the media/Facebook stuff and let the Gardai do their investigations. I wish you a successful outcome and hope the people involved face the the repercussions they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

testicle wrote: »
    Evidence for that nonsense statement is required please.

Convicted rapist in the news today got his entire sentence suspended. So not such a nonsense statement now, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Convicted rapist in the news today got his entire sentence suspended. So not such a nonsense statement now, is it?

At least 3 have got away with less than 2 years over the last while.

So out in less than 1 most likely.

Another 1 couple years back got suspended sentence aswell, prosecution had to appeal, think it was 3 years on take 2. Out in 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

At least 3 have got away with less than 2 years over the last while.

So out in less than 1 most likely.

Another 1 couple years back got suspended sentence aswell, prosecution had to appeal, think it was 3 years on take 2. Out in 18 months.

Dafuq??? Lads have ye noticed the thread title?? Keep on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

any update, its nearly a months since they disappeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    any update, its nearly a months since they disappeared

Yea.. Surely there's little hope now of them being recovered, and you'd worry about their trail gone well cold.. At this stage they could be slaughtered - hung for 15-20 days, been butchered and eaten :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.. Surely there's little hope now of them being recovered, and you'd worry about their trail gone well cold.. At this stage they could be slaughtered - hung for 15-20 days, been butchered and eaten :(:(

Im surprised there hasn't been some news on the truck considering they had pictures . Whether they get the animals back now or not it would be good to see someone caught for the crime

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DaveWalsh2020

Any news on this robbery...

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Any news on this robbery...

Nothing lately and still no pic of the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

It is 11 days since the last comment ,I am just giving the thread a poke to keep it alive we need a result

valtraman wrote: »
    It is 11 days since the last comment ,I am just giving the thread a poke to keep it alive we need a result
    just saw an update on fb. they seem to be giving up on the search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

just saw an update on fb. they seem to be giving up on the search

I'm very surprised that there has been nothing found . Did they even arrest anyone over it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm very surprised that there has been nothing found . Did they even arrest anyone over it ?

Silence speaks louder than words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

If this case goes unsolved it's a very poor indictment of our Gardaí.

I'm beginning to think this was a blacks ops operation and there was actually no cattle stolen at all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Any up date? It's not like a paintings or jewelery robbery where they are waiting for the thieves to move on the goods at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A few years ago there was a case of a woman's herd being stolen somewhere in Africa - read the news about it. The thief was shruggy when she turned up with the cops, local headman or whatever. "It's your word against mine. I say they're my cows."
    So she stood outside the field and one by one called her cows by name, and they trotted over, mooing happily, and re-formed as a herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Link to that here on the BBC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2796633.stm

Nice find. I'll post it up on the facebook page, as the owners aren't regulars here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,365 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I still find it very unbelievable that 100 animals could go missing without trace.
    Something fishy going on here.

I still find it very unbelievable that 100 animals could go missing without trace.

Is there, though? How stringent is the evidence chain between slaughterhouses and shops?

It's like the thefts of copper piping and wiring and lead from rooves and bronze and steel sculptures - stopped dead in its tracks in Britain when they changed the rules for scrapyards so that all transactions were through cards and banks, no cash deals.

It's like the way bike thefts are a huge, huge industry - it's possible to steal a bike worth €500 and sell it for €200 because its an unregulated industry. If all bike frame numbers were registered and checked on every sale, and if all sales had to be through cards, this immense underground criminal network would simply fade away within weeks.

Edit: What's the story with the stolen lambs with "poisonous meat"? http://www.thejournal.ie/tyrone-farm-lambs-2287694-Aug2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Probably injected for fluke or a long acting wormer. They carry serious warnings re accidental injection and keeping away from dogs due to side effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have the photographs of the trucks ever been released ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,365 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

_Brian wrote: »
    Have the photographs of the trucks ever been released ??

I haven't seen any pictures as yet and also wonder why.
    You would think that this would have been done at the earliest opportunity but it was not seemingly.
    Leaves me thinking that all is not as reported.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Post #191 was a while ago so I'll repeat it again........
    greysides wrote: »
    [mod]There is to be no more speculation like this post and, to a lesser degree, the one above it. We do not know the circumstances. Simple as! The people involved are entitled not to have their reputations impugned by smear and innuendo on a national billboard. Future posts along a similar line will face infraction![/mod]

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Post #191 was a while ago so I'll repeat it again........
    would it not be better to close this thread so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Pictures can't be shared as there is an ongoing investigation.

It's pointless sitting around here on boards speculating.

The Dillons aren't boardsies, and just popped in to thank people for support on the thread when it happened.

If you want some more recent updates, look at the Find Our Livestock facebook page.
    There's a very disillusioned post from the 11th August.
    You can read it in full on Facebook, but some here:
    August 11

I'm not getting in to it but today it became clear that those involved in the theft can indeed live without fear of repercussion...
    For now we will be suspending our media campaign. I am so sorry that my huge efforts to at least implement change for all of our future stock security have been a waste of time. My only advice is go hard on security-electric fatwas,cctv,house/yard alarms and security lights,dogs,freeze bearding-do whatever you can. Because of the size of our theft,not one of you is safe. I expect to see a serious increase in rustling now...
    I hope at some stage I will be able to post here that something good has come from the situation,but today is not that day.
    Again,huge thanks to all of you...
    You are amazing people in an amazing industry in the best country in the world.
    I pray that this never happens to you.

Sincerest thanks,
    The Dillon family

What on earth is freeze bearding?

I'm very sorry for these people - what a terrible thing to happen, to have your whole livelihood stolen in a night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What on earth is freeze bearding?

Most likely a typo... freeze-branding.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Until there is more news..
    Posted by Find our Livestock on Facebook
    August 11

I'm not getting in to it but today it became clear that those involved in the theft can indeed live without fear of repercussion...
    For now we will be suspending our media campaign.
    I hope at some stage I will be able to post here that something good has come from the situation,but today is not that day.
    Again,huge thanks to all of you...

Sincerest thanks,
    The Dillon family

Thread closed.

Adam Grant

Thread opened in light of new developments.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Bit on cattle theft on prime time atm, they might say something.

Edit: nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Delighted they finally made an arrest. I hope something comes of it now.

Disappointing that prime time didn't cover it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Prime time has become more of a tabloid programme than "Ireland's flagship investigative programme"
    Flagship podium for a few presenters, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Prime time has become more of a tabloid programme than "Ireland's flagship investigative programme"
    Flagship podium for a few presenters, in my opinion.

I have to agree, I rarely watch it anymore.

Any update on this has he been released/charged or how long can he be questioned for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Kamili wrote: »
    I have to agree, I rarely watch it anymore.

Even when it covered something important, nothing came of it so its worse than useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Kamili wrote: »
    Delighted they finally made an arrest. I hope something comes of it now.

Disappointing that prime time didn't cover it though.

May have come too late to include it properly; the existing item was probably filmed a few days ago and the program also had 2 other reports to air. Also, the Donegal thing may still be sub judice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

I imagine that there's a limit to what they can show in a case where someone has just been arrested. We wouldn't want his solicitor to be able to argue that a jury were influenced by what was shown on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Released with file sent to dpp

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Any update on this has he been released/charged or how long can he be questioned for?

Released without charge today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Five months was a nothing sentence on that Cranston guy with the stolen cattle. And he didn't plead guilty or give evidence. If he cooperated it might be something in his favour.

How come the Traditional Meat Co didn't notice the card was for a 10 month old animal or the vet/Agricultural Officer in the plant? Almost 400 kg deadweight ffs!

My factory returns have the age of all animals printed - down to the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Good loser wrote: »
    ..........How come the Traditional Meat Co didn't notice the card was for a 10 month old animal or the vet/Agricultural Officer in the plant? Almost 400 kg deadweight ffs!........

You'd imagine that something like this should automatically get flagged by a computer, either in the factory or the department rather than depending on a random visit by an inspector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Good loser wrote: »
    Five months was a nothing sentence on that Cranston guy with the stolen cattle. And he didn't plead guilty or give evidence. If he cooperated it might be something in his favour.

How come the Traditional Meat Co didn't notice the card was for a 10 month old animal or the vet/Agricultural Officer in the plant? Almost 400 kg deadweight ffs!

My factory returns have the age of all animals printed - down to the day.

A lot of people don't take the cards seriously especially with regard to DOB etc. They are just a piece of card and could very easily be forged or tampered with, by even the most basic PC printer system.
    The card should have a photo of the animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,916 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

20silkcut wrote: »
    A lot of people don't take the cards seriously especially with regard to DOB etc. They are just a piece of card and could very easily be forged or tampered with, by even the most basic PC printer system.

I'd say half the photos would be like the Donedeal ones. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

20silkcut wrote: »
    How would that work? All angus look the same

• Advertisement
Advertisement