Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

amacca wrote: »
    200 kg charolais 715?????

what, seriously

Yep, WTF is going on???

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Not that I've seen but then I don't see that much forward stores sold being honest, it's more weanlings/runners and cows. I'm told the bullock trade is worsening by the day, there's 700 odd heifers for Elphin tomorrow so may call in for a look in the evening. The cow trade is about the steadiest market atm, there's good demand for fleshed and store cows of all types and there starting to become plentiful.

Did you get to Elphin? If so what was it like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Did you get to Elphin? If so what was it like?

No sadly everything conspired against me today, I had intended on going up this evening but I got a last minute phone call from a friend in need and by the time he was sorted I was too tired tbh. There's a special bullock sale next Wednesday so I will try and get to that, there was a time I was in Elphin every week but life gets in the way lately. There's a special sale of hogget's and breeding ewe's in Drumshanbo tomorrow so getting ready for that, it'll be another long day but it's all good craic.

No sadly everything conspired against me today, I had intended on going up this evening but I got a last minute phone call from a friend in need and by the time he was sorted I was too tired tbh. There's a special bullock sale next Wednesday so I will try and get to that, there was a time I was in Elphin every week but life gets in the way lately. There's a special sale of hogget's and breeding ewe's in Drumshanbo tomorrow so getting ready for that, it'll be another long day but it's all good craic.

I heard anything 500 - 600kg was consistently getting €700 with the weight which is better than the €2 per kg going the rounds lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

I heard anything 500 - 600kg was consistently getting €700 with the weight which is better than the €2 per kg going the rounds lately.

Most cattle there would be top quality and would be well above €2 / kg

I didn't hear any reports tbh be they good or bad. Taking 550kg and €700 over is €1250 or roughly €2.25-2.30 a kg by my calculations. It's on the higher side of the prices I've heard in recent times but not unrealistic imo, granted there's always great cattle at those special sale's so maybe not totally representative of the average trade for average types. I wonder was there any northern customers considering sterling isn't that strong atm, there's usually a few men for anything with bulling potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Saw some char weanlings selling today in Ennis
    Qty WEight Price DOB
    2 478kg 850 ....aug 18
    2 410 880 ....dec 18
    1 320 890 ....feb 19
    1 360 980 ....feb 19

Explain those prices.........

But there was plenty poor prices as well. Especially in the heifer ring.
    I bought a lovely pair lim heifers. Feb born. Bit of Charolais breeding in them as well. 275kg. €790.
    AI bred and €128 replacement index. I’d be sick if I was the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought a lovely pair lim heifers. Feb born. Bit of Charolais breeding in them as well. 275kg. €790.

I don't think he'd be sick to be honest. He's not loosing money at those prices, for the year that's in it and when you compare to others in different sectors of the beef trade.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

You'd buy a cracking year and a half heifer for 900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Are any factories taking full bull beef at 16 months anymore ?

The CH bulls born in Feb/Mar don’t be long touching 500kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I don't think he'd be sick to be honest. He's not loosing money at those prices, for the year that's in it and when you compare to others in different sectors of the beef trade.

ask him does he want more i would take hand and all

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

I was passing Mount bellew mart this evening and called in. No cattle showed up to be sold. So it was cancelled.

I was passing Mount bellew mart this evening and called in. No cattle showed up to be sold. So it was cancelled.

I wouldn't be familiar with mountbellew mart but I don't think it does much of a cattle trade from talking to friends that frequent it. I'm open to correction on that statement but there's plenty of marts in the West that are struggling for numbers every week, a sale being cancelled due to poor turnout isn't unheard of. If the likes of Balla, Dowra or Castlerea start cancelling sales due to no stock then I'd take more notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Regularly happens
    Im local and i stoped going due to small numbers.
    Its very close to tuam Ballinasloe and Roscommon that all have large weekly sales nearly year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

You would think marts in the west would be getting plenty of cattle with the time of year and wet weather where are people heading with cattle instead? Are people finding that weanling prices are holding up fairly well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

epfff wrote: »
    Regularly happens
    Im local and i stoped going due to small numbers.
    Its very close to tuam Ballinasloe and Roscommon that all have large weekly sales nearly year round.
    Add in Athenry and Loughrea and castlerea that's 6 other marts within a 20 mile radius of it

You would think marts in the west would be getting plenty of cattle with the time of year and wet weather where are people heading with cattle instead? Are people finding that weanling prices are holding up fairly well?

It's still relatively early in the trading season imo, the sales will get bigger every week especially if the weather stays broken but it's usually mid October before numbers peak locally. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of cattle on offer in certain marts and plenty more to come. In my opinion there's too many marts in the West and there won't be sufficient throughput for them all moving forward, for every mart doing well there's another just surviving.

As for the weanling trade the divide between good and bad quality stock is ever widening. Good weanlings are as dear as ever and average to plain types are taking a beating, the export market is propping up the trade for the average bull calf but the equivalent heifer calf isn't in any great demand. Without trying to be pessimistic I think the current trade could be, should be and quite possibly will be worse before it gets better unless something​ akin to a miracle occurs regarding the beef trade.

I know roscommon has heavy charolais. But from the point of view of AA or FRX which mart is best.

I know roscommon has heavy charolais. But from the point of view of AA or FRX which mart is best.

Definitely stay away from Roscommon with plain stock, it's not a town for anything only quality cattle. Have you heifers or bullocks/bulls? I'd recommend Castlerea if your wanting to stay in that geographical area, there's always lots of average type stock and corresponding buyers in it any week I'm there. If your prepared to go further north then Drumshanbo or Dowra would both have clients for those sort of stock.

I tend to go with aax bullocks.

• Advertisement

I tend to go with aax bullocks.

Castlerea is probably as good as any so, I think the bullocks are changing to the Monday sales from this coming Monday but I'm not sure. Anyone see goodish 18 month old continental store bullocks circa 500-550kg sold lately? A man asked me what there worth tonight but I didn't see the like selling in any great numbers lately. Would €2.10-2.30 a kilo be a fair guess?

Mental, was it Einstein that said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Jaysus Patsy if you come over for the ploughing bring back some of my weanlings and sell them in Ennis for me!!!

Must be heading for the boat lads. Doubt if local guys are buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

obviously the usual very good class of weanlings in Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Mental, was it Einstein that said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Those prices are the exception and not typical of what is going on in marts at the moment. A neighbour of mine sold a Jan born Lim bull off THZ yesterday, as nice an animal as you could hope to see, 450kgs for €895, a brutal price.
    Basically gave him away.

I don't think the shipper's would be at the races at any of the prices quoted in that article Patsy but perhaps I'm wrong. The two outfits I see buying for the export job are buying a mixed bag of very average to goodish type weanlings 200-350kg circa €2-2.50 a kg. The farmers locally are well able to outbid them for anything fancy so I'd imagine that's where all those high priced stock are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

shippers were in Ennis , mostly light bulls from the runner ring,

a couple of marts have sent out texts looking for same.

tanko wrote: »

Those prices are the exception and not typical of what is going on in marts at the moment. A neighbour of mine sold a Jan born Lim bull off THZ yesterday, as nice an animal as you could hope to see, 450kgs for €895, a brutal price.
    Basically gave him away.

Roscommon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Roscommon?

Ballyjamesduff.

tanko wrote: »
    Basically gave him away.
    thats for sure saw a smasher of a black limo 330 kgs sold for 730 in Kilmallock last night,would have made at least 830 last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

3 shippers in Carrigallen on Saturday
    A good calf went a good price
    Saw a few 320kg Charolais make €900-950

There was a few nice calves with good weights but hadn’t great ends (probably due to loss of power in milk & grass) not do as good

Get the feeder / troughs out

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

My dad was in skibb mart today. We have conclusive proif that farmer are fecking mad. 450kg bullocks making €1150

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

My dad was in skibb mart today. We have conclusive proif that farmer are fecking mad. 450kg bullocks making €1150

What breed were they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I don't see much of a twist from an animal heading to the factory within 36months (now) , if it costs much more than 2euro/kg as young stock.
    Sorry to weanling producers but that's how I see it:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

In ballina today for a look. Weanling heifer ring hadn't started when I left. Some Weanling bull prices below.

360 kgs 830 euro golden ch
    360 kgs 865 euro white ch
    270 kgs 850 euro golden ch
    292 kgs 795 euro white ch
    332 kgs 840 euro golden ch
    372 kgs 765 euro lim
    290 kgs 770 euro white ch
    312 kgs 840 euro white ch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

In ballina today for a look. Weanling heifer ring hadn't started when I left. Some Weanling bull prices below.

360 kgs 830 euro golden ch
    360 kgs 865 euro white ch
    270 kgs 850 euro golden ch
    292 kgs 795 euro white ch
    332 kgs 840 euro golden ch
    372 kgs 765 euro lim
    290 kgs 770 euro white ch
    312 kgs 840 euro white ch
    Those prices are loss making and at best break even for the suckler cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Was there anyone in gortatlea last Wednesday night? I heard of outrageous prices being paid.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Those prices are loss making and at best break even for the suckler cows.
    ur right there break even at best and that's for top class weanlings no doubt,
    Take 150 to 200 off for plainer calves and where does that leave u

I called into Ballina as I was passing, the bull weanling seemed a good enough trade for anything quality and not to heavy. There were a lot of light calves (sub 250kg) which I thought unusual compared to other years. They were a solid trade and made mostly from €2.50-3 euro a kilo and up to €3.50 a kilo for the best of them. The general run of weanlings were in the 280-400kg bracket and we're making from €2-2.50 a kilo with exceptional types clinching €2.80 a kilo, the further over 350kg the closer to €2 a kilo they seemed to be going.

240kg March born LMx @ €700
    180kg May born CHx @ €580
    250kg April born AAx @€;550
    315kg February born LMx @ €700 (very average and thought it a good price tbh)
    385kg December born LMx @ €830 (he was a miller of a calf but black LMx not a good seller).
    375kg December born CHx @ 975
    505kg January born CHx @ €1125 (super bull)
    605kg June 18 born SIMx @ €1050 (beefy gutty type bull.)
    540kg SIMx same as above @ €860.
    I didn't venture over near the heifers so I can't comment on what they were like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,972 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I called into Ballina as I was passing, the bull weanling seemed a good enough trade for anything quality and not to heavy. There were a lot of light calves (sub 250kg) which I thought unusual compared to other years. They were a solid trade and made mostly from €2.50-3 euro a kilo and up to €3.50 a kilo for the best of them. The general run of weanlings were in the 280-400kg bracket and we're making from €2-2.50 a kilo with exceptional types clinching €2.80 a kilo, the further over 350kg the closer to €2 a kilo they seemed to be going.

385kg December born LMx @ €830 (he was a miller of a calf but black LMx not a good seller).
    I didn't venture over near the heifers so I can't comment on what they were like.
    There will be a touch in that 540kg SIM bull

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Are they still looking for bulls u16 months or what’s the story with bulls now

I suppose there probably will be Bass but it's not exactly a sustainable setup either, sadly the only way to make a profit on beef cattle atm requires someone else to get a serious burning. Granted the lad that held onto them bulls up till now without some mitigating circumstances needs his head examined imo. Bar the very tops of bulls it's not paying to feed above 350kg at the current time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

First of the bulls gone tonight. Adv 600kg Sept 18, 1200, not the best but ok for the year that's in it.

• Advertisement

valtra2 wrote: »
    First of the bulls gone tonight. Adv 600kg Sept 18, 1200, not the best but ok for the year that's in it.

I'd agree that it's about the price of them atm, €2 a kg seems to be the run of it for goodish stores of any type at those weight's. I keep telling lads that bar the very tops of calves it's not paying to feed above 350kg at the present time. That's not much addition to anyone with heavy bulls currently but lighter weanlings should be offloaded as they come fit. The bull weanling trade is being underpinned by the export market and hopefully this will continue for the rest of the trading season. Heifer's are a lesser trade especially plainer types and I can't see much more of a bite coming into the market for them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd agree that it's about the price of them atm, €2 a kg seems to be the run of it for goodish stores of any type at those weight's.

That's what l'd be thinking. Will be out hopefully in a few weeks buying in and not going above this no matter how sweet she is!!

Muckit wrote: »
    I'd agree that it's about the price of them atm, €2 a kg seems to be the run of it for goodish stores of any type at those weight's.

That's what l'd be thinking. Will be out hopefully in a few weeks buying in and not going above this no matter how sweet she is!!

There isn't that much cattle being showed locally atm. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the glut of weanlings and stores start to appear, the live trade is staying artificially high especially in the heifer ring imo given the current beef trade. Certain types of stock are as dear as ever atm while more are a bad trade, it's very dependent on what you have imo. I saw a bundle of AAx stores that were sold last week, circa 500kg @ €1.88, they were average suckler bred stores and I'd have thought that in or around €2 a kg would have been there price in good times. Similarly another bundle of nice CHx weanlings 220-250kg that were bought last week are standing €690 apiece which is €30 more than last year this is despite there 2017 born comrades killing €240 less. It's hard to weigh it all up atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Muckit wrote: »

You'd have an empty box going home if you were in kilfenora tonight so muckit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd have an empty box going home if you were in kilfenora tonight so muckit!

Better an empty box than a dear one!! ;) l don't usially stray outside of Ballinasloe anyways!

• Advertisement
Advertisement