Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers including friends and family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I started following her on snapchat today to see how often shes plugging the boyfriends business, everytime the camera was on her she had the voices and animal ears for some reason so I actually couldn't understand what she was saying - is this a constant thing or a one off? If it's always like that I'll unfollow her!

I understand bloggers using a beauty filter but why use one where it's impossible to understand her?! I just want to see how much she's plugging his business after all the talk!!

Oh the voices are pretty much constant when she's by herself. One snap with it is grand but the constant filters are annoying. She's not the only offender on that front though, a few are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

who is the blogger with the boyfriend or are you aloud to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

noveltea wrote: »
    who is the blogger with the boyfriend or are you aloud to ask?

Joanne Larby aka The Makeup Fairy

Her Snapchat name is themakeupfairy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

misslt wrote: »
    See in a way I feel very sorry for those children, their entire lives are on the internet without their say so and who knows how they'll feel about it in years to come.

They actually live in the same town as me and a colleagues child is in the same class as one of them and was invited to a birthday party. I really wanted to ask if they'd asked the parents of the other children there permission to put their children on YouTube - I know if it was me and mine I wouldn't be happy.

Also getting a bit fed up of the blogger with the boyfriend - I don't mind the odd post on insta here and there but it's getting pretty constant now.

I think he has mentioned before that he does ask. He never vlogs in or around the school or when they are in their school uniforms. Although I'm not sure he realises just how easy he has made it to figure out what town he lives in. I figured it out easy enough anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

The thing with most bloggers is they start off with a blog on fashion/makeup/style etc but then they get loads of followers (and a few notions 🀣) and think the blog is all about them and the content changes to a lifestyle blog. .

This!! I unfollowed blogger with new boyfriend for exactly this reason across pretty much all platforms. Really liked her makeup posts, got a bit fed up of the fitness stuff when that's all she was doing but persevered for when she did do makeup the odd time but the new BF being in everything was the tipping point for me.
    I don't mind a blogger varying content if it naturally progresses from the original content but your social media being a completely different place now you're in a relationship is not quite what I would assume most followers want to see. Beautiful truth has introduced a new baby section on her blog but it still fits in with her overall vibe and we don't see the baby on her social media which is perfectly fine by me.
    Featuring family and friends is fine, once it's relevant and organic to what's on your blog/social media IMO. Overloading us with them, and being overly personal, not so fine IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Internet persona and real life are like church and state separate those mutha truckas at all costs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Sorry, I started this thread and then didn't post again!

It was MUF and also FacesByGrace that led me to start this. MUF has been well covered but I'm surprised that Grace hasn't been mentioned. Her Snapchat feels more like a daily diary of her daughter's life than anything else. She was at a wedding abroad last week with friends and I saw more of these friends that I'd never seen before than anything blog related. There was one particular video of the baby with her Dad that felt really intrusive to watch. I've seen more of her baby than I have of most of my own friends' children!

I totally understand that a good blog has a personal side and it's nice to see some of it but with some bloggers it feels like all personal and no content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry, I started this thread and then didn't post again!

It was MUF and also FacesByGrace that led me to start this. MUF has been well covered but I'm surprised that Grace hasn't been mentioned. Her Snapchat feels more like a daily diary of her daughter's life than anything else. She was at a wedding abroad last week with friends and I saw more of these friends that I'd never seen before than anything blog related. There was one particular video of the baby with her Dad that felt really intrusive to watch.

I totally understand that a good blog has a personal side and it's nice to see some of it but with some bloggers it feels like all personal and no content.

Grace won't take any criticism whatsoever and it doesn't matter what her followers aren't happy about; she'll ignore them and keep doing what she's doing.
    How many times have people complained about the constant Sienna vids?
    They haven't stopped have they?
    God help her followers when her sister has the baby,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

fussyonion wrote: »
    Grace won't take any criticism whatsoever and it doesn't matter what her followers aren't happy about; she'll ignore them and keep doing what she's doing.
    How many times have people complained about the constant Sienna vids?
    They haven't stopped have they?
    God help her followers when her sister has the baby,

She's already set up an Instagram for the baby, surely she could just set up a Snapchat too? Then everyone's happy!

I also do not get why any blogger would turn off their chat option.
    It's a real kick in the face to people who've supported you. You are saying you've no interest in people's opinions and you couldn't care less about what they might or might not like regarding your content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I think the MUF has totally got it wrong and the boyfriend posts are OTT. I actually like her and I think she seems like a nice person and she has worked v hard for her success which is admirable.
    I think her blog content is too young for her actual age. All the boyfriend pics cement this along with the unicorns and mermaid dust and other teenybopper items.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

See I think the main issue is that some of these bloggers don't seem to accept that they're doing anything that most would think is a bit much. We all seem to be on the same page here, but if you even tried to mention what we think to said bloggers, you're labelled as a "hater" which is beyond ridiculous. It's gotten to the stage where half of the bloggers I follow don't even blog, or post about anything related to why they gained such a following in the first place. It's also difficult because of the amount of "worshippers" who seem to think these women can do no wrong. Every time someone tries to share some constructive criticism, they are bashed by the legions of fans.

I used to love FBG and MUF because they showed some really great and interesting makeup snaps. Now it seems to be more of their day to day lives, which would be fine but I feel like the inclusion of their family is very excessive. There has to be a point where they might look and finally realise this.

Dizzy I completely agree with everything you said.
    Unfortunately they won't even accept constructive criticism and you'll be blocked.

I was following a guy on Snapchat who has closed his Snaps because he doesn't want to answer questions about the weightloss group he manages.

He had a tendency to come across quite rude at times, cold and a bit smug.

He blocked someone who messaged him telling him he didn't seem very friendly and they were new to this particular weightloss thing and they just wanted advice.

He proceeded to call them a SeeYouNextTuesday and blocked them.

Going back to the topic at hand, these bloggers who feature their friends & family: sometimes the family members clearly don't want to be on Snapchat but that doesn't seem to bother the blogger.

One particular blogger Snapped her date night with her fella, turning the camera on him every second saying 'We're just having drinks!' and 'Almost finished here, then we're going to a club'.

The fella looked so awkward and I was thinking 'Would you not enjoy your night without Snapping it?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Fairy is non stop using her blog to promote the new boyfriend's business. I'm sure this is not what her followers want to see the whole time now. Would she not be better working as hard as possible on het own blog and business now that she has relocated rather than trying to grow his?

ratmouse wrote: »
    Fairy is non stop using her blog to promote the new boyfriend's business. I'm sure this is not what her followers want to see the whole time now. Would she not be better working as hard as possible on het own blog and business now that she has relocated rather than trying to grow his?
    For someone who has worked very hard to get where she is, this shortsightedness about what interests her followers now is amazing! I doubt she's getting the same exposure from him. Unless she knows exactly what she is doing and the long game is some kind of permanent business venture in the long term.. Doubt that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Mekekka wrote: »
    For someone who has worked very hard to get where she is, this shortsightedness about what interests her followers now is amazing! I doubt she's getting the same exposure from him. Unless she knows exactly what she is doing and the long game is some kind of permanent business venture in the long term.. Doubt that though.

I doubt it too. I just can't understand how she has let her blog become all about him. We can all see it and potential damage she could do but can she not see this herself or can her family or friends not tell her to play it a bit more safely?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod note: Everyone, I've moved a load of posts over to a new separate thread for discussion on bloggers and mental health. The discussion completely derailed this thread. Please stick to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I see that MUF has put up a vlog of her trip to Croatia. I watched it and yet again Paul is the main person featured. Very strange. It's his video and she just pops in and out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

laylag wrote: »
    I see that MUF has put up a vlog of her trip to Croatia. I watched it and yet again Paul is the main person featured. Very strange. It's his video and she just pops in and out of it!

Yeah I noticed on Instagram she's referring to it as "our Croatia travel vlog" and "our in depth written guide" " we'll get better I promise"

Lord I follow her, not him and I'm losing all patience with it. She did have some interesting make up bits bit she doesn't seem to do much of it if any at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed on Instagram she's referring to it as "our Croatia travel vlog" and "our in depth written guide" " we'll get better I promise"

Lord I follow her, not him and I'm losing all patience with it. She did have some interesting make up bits bit she doesn't seem to do much of it if any at all.

I think she's now just Paul's girlfriend and a fitness blogger rather than a makeup blogger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Sorry guys had to share it when I spotted it!

https://instagram.com/p/BWvAB-TljuA/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I have followed Joanne since 2013 I think. Loved her make up posts and her style back then. She used to do those cool Halloween looks etc. They are all gone from YouTube now. So you can't even go back to certain tutorials you liked. I loved how she generally only showed snippets from her life, bits and bobs of family here and there but it was mostly good content..it changed somewhere along the way that now its just brand promo, holiday trips/packing tips the gym and Paul. She worked incredibly hard to get where she is and its nice to see her genuinely happy but at the same time it's a bit sad to see the guts of what you built and what you are about is now slipping away due to a relationship change.

I follow her for her, for make up beauty etc not to see himself and what holiday they are on this week.

I looked through her blog a few days ago and there's almost nothing new or exciting in the beauty section since christmas...instagram personal pic overload. If you see Paul's its kept professional as its his business page, she could take leap out of his book there.

You can't message and ask for more of the old and less of the personal as you will be seen as a hater or you shouldn't be tearing other women down. Defiantly miss the old make up fairy content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

I have followed Joanne since 2013 I think. Loved her make up posts and her style back then. She used to do those cool Halloween looks etc. They are all gone from YouTube now. So you can't even go back to certain tutorials you liked. I loved how she generally only showed snippets from her life, bits and bobs of family here and there but it was mostly good content..it changed somewhere along the way that now its just brand promo, holiday trips/packing tips the gym and Paul. She worked incredibly hard to get where she is and its nice to see her genuinely happy but at the same time it's a bit sad to see the guts of what you built and what you are about is now slipping away due to a relationship change.

I follow her for her, for make up beauty etc not to see himself and what holiday they are on this week.

I looked through her blog a few days ago and there's almost nothing new or exciting in the beauty section since christmas...instagram personal pic overload. If you see Paul's its kept professional as its his business page, she could take leap out of his book there.

You can't message and ask for more of the old and less of the personal as you will be seen as a hater or you shouldn't be tearing other women down. Defiantly miss the old make up fairy content.

This is why I love NikkieTutorials so much. She's totally changed her appearance, admitted to lip fillers etc and has left all her old dodgy videos up too, she has a great sense of humour about it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod Sorry Madam Oblong, you need 50 posts for this forum. Feel free to come back when you meet the criteria.

I couldn't have said it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Mekekka wrote: »
    I couldn't have said it better.

She used to be one of my favourites until all that threatening legal action and sending cease and desist letters to forums and platforms.. (this isn't speculation one group cannot mention her name it's in the rules due to this behaviour this information is up for public consumption)
    aside from that there has been a huge shift in her content especially Snapchat with the boyfriend i followed her on Snapchat not him if I want to watch him constantly or listen to him talk about fitness I
    Would follow him.
    I have to agree I feel he loves being on her Snapchat and knows full well she benefits his business ,,
    As for other bloggers like Rosie and grace the endless kid and boyfriend snaps make me unfollow
    I still follow Rosie but skip past the Paul stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Cria wrote: »
    She used to be one of my favourites until all that threatening legal action and sending cease and desist letters to forums and platforms.. (this isn't speculation one group cannot mention her name it's in the rules due to this behaviour this information is up for public consumption)
    aside from that there has been a huge shift in her content especially Snapchat with the boyfriend i followed her on Snapchat not him if I want to watch him constantly or listen to him talk about fitness I
    Would follow him.
    I have to agree I feel he loves being on her Snapchat and knows full well she benefits his business ,,
    As for other bloggers like Rosie and grace the endless kid and boyfriend snaps make me unfollow
    I still follow Rosie but skip past the Paul stuff

I think Muf is reading this thread as there's a distinct lack of Paul on snapchat and this morning she did a MAKE UP WALK THROUGH!!!!!!
    She actually said what we've been saying that she is the make up fairy and will be doing more of it in future.
    So if she has been reading and is taking it on board I think that's a fantastic way to listen to her followers and personally am delighted!!

I think Muf is reading this thread as there's a distinct lack of Paul on snapchat and this morning she did a MAKE UP WALK THROUGH!!!!!!
    She actually said what we've been saying that she is the make up fairy and will be doing more of it in future.

I might refollow so if that's the case! I really enjoy watching her talk about makeup and beauty and she's extremely good at it so if she's showing it again then super. I don't expect her to be doing makeup all of the time either, but a nice balance was what kept me following before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Yeah, seems a bit mad to be called 'themakeupfairy' and then not show much makeup.........and no, I don't want to just see products you've been sent, I want to see them in use, hear about how they work/wear. I'm not a fan of his, so if there are less snaps with him, I'd be more interested. That goes for anyone that continually shows their OH - I'm just not that interested! Let him/her set up their own account and allow people to follow if they want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Yeah, seems a bit mad to be called 'themakeupfairy' and then not show much makeup.........and no, I don't want to just see products you've been sent, I want to see them in use, hear about how they work/wear. I'm not a fan of his, so if there are less snaps with him, I'd be more interested. That goes for anyone that continually shows their OH - I'm just not that interested! Let him/her set up their own account and allow people to follow if they want!

Completely agree she's the make up fairy first and foremost. Fitness is what she added in later .. her partner and them joking together and sharing their life together is of no interest to me I'll follow him if I want to see him .. if she sticks to reviews and tutorials and follow ups of the products she received ..
    I'd find her more relatable if she stop the major filtering and was a bit more honest with her followers.

Advertisement