Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

OSI wrote: »
    His Quali lap was nearly 2 seconds down on Russel and his fastest race lap more than half a second slower. Not a promising start to his return season.
    Let us not forget, he appeared to be up on his Q1 time when he clipped the wall, so we will never know if he could have out qualified Russell. One race doesn't define a season.
    Joeface wrote: »
    I have this feeling Kubica will not last the season and thats even taking into account how crap the car is .
    I think too much time has passed for him and his Injury will hamper his performace if the get the car working some bit . The Testing and FP laps are one thing . Qual and Race are something else . Pity really.

He is contracted for 2 seasons, Orlen have or will pay Williams by installments for the seat, i have no doubt he could lose it but it will result in money changing hands somewhere and that is something Williams are lacking to a certain extent.

Would it be feasible to assume that there is a clause in his contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

recyclebin wrote: »
    He clipped the wall and got a puncture in qualifying. Car was damaged in race. Both were self inflicted wounds but I wouldn't write him off yet. The car is terrible to drive.

it was the clipping the wall that was strange , The route cause he said him self was the car was suddenly working right and he was way faster coming out of the turn that cause him to clip the wall . Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

All this talk of damage to the cars, has someone posted the World Destructors Championship from Reddit? Sorry if posted, haven't seen it yet on here.

It's really quite brilliant and I definitely will be following it haha!

dq1tsq3t9wm21.jpg

Credit goes to user basspro24chevy on Reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/b2jxne/world_destructors_championship_race_1_update/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

OSI wrote: »
    His Quali lap was nearly 2 seconds down on Russel and his fastest race lap more than half a second slower. Not a promising start to his return season.

On the lap he crashed, he was apparently seven tenths up on Russel by the second sector, he was about to absolutely destroy his team mate. He blamed the crash on the car actually working properly that one and only lap, with him carrying too much speed into the corner. I wouldn't right him off just yet.

Killinator wrote: »
    I'm.not saying he was driving poorly himself but his new teammate was about to breeze past him for whatever reason and Ferrari as a team aren't always the most level headed group and may blame him for the results rather than admitting they've messed up the car

Different tires too by that stage. It's all speculation at this stage, there's rumours of the aero design being flawed, the PU being flawed. I still have a feeling they'll be out all guns blazing by the next race, as they were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It was also said that Williams are still lacking spare parts so they couldn't afford to replace any parts that suffered minor damage and both drivers had to essentially make do with what they got.

So it seems Kubica's car was still damaged from qualy even before the race even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Adamocovic wrote: »
    All this talk of damage to the cars, has someone posted the World Destructors Championship from Reddit? Sorry if posted, haven't seen it yet on here.

It's really quite brilliant and I definitely will be following it haha!

dq1tsq3t9wm21.jpg

Credit goes to user basspro24chevy on Reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/b2jxne/world_destructors_championship_race_1_update/

That list would have been interesting when Pastor Maldonado was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

antodeco wrote: »
    LeClerc did say in an interview he understood that the team setup was a no1 and no2 driver. He seems like an intelligent chap, and knows that he has a shot for no1 when vettel fails (maybe a season or 2), but he knows he can be golden boy.

Exactly, LeClerc can play the long game and benefit from this 1 & 2 policy from Ferrari in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    That list would have been interesting when Pastor Maldonado was around.

Or just for the 98 Belgian Grand Prix!

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Or just for the 98 Belgian Grand Prix!

We'll never see races like that again, F1 is gone too nanny state. I'd love to see a race being started like that without a safety car, definitely makes it more interesting.

• Advertisement

As for Kubica, if he can work wonders with that Williams there is a slim chance someone else might come back in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Inviere wrote: »
    On the lap he crashed, he was apparently seven tenths up on Russel by the second sector, he was about to absolutely destroy his team mate. He blamed the crash on the car actually working properly that one and only lap, with him carrying too much speed into the corner. I wouldn't right him off just yet.

Yeah, heard that - it's really funny, but in F1 this is a thing. Years ago, Fisichella had a curious incident during the Monaco GP while driving for Benetton - he clipped the inside of the ARMCO at La Rascasse with his right rear wheel and spun. After the race, his explanation was similar - he said he took the corner as usual, counting on the fact the rear of the car slid about a little bit due to instability. On that one lap, it gripped perfectly, causing the collision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We'll never see races like that again, F1 is gone too nanny state. I'd love to see a race being started like that without a safety car, definitely makes it more interesting.
    Had something like that happened these days, the whole race would probably have to be called off for 24 hours as there aren't any T cars anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

flazio wrote: »
    Had something like that happened these days, the whole race would probably have to be called off for 24 hours as there aren't any T cars anymore.

That's probably why they don't let races start in rain like that anymore. Depending on the track they would have to postpone the race for a day or maybe till the next weekend if possible depending on the race calendar and the track too I suppose.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

So far Teds new show is incredibly boring....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

seamusk84 wrote: »
    So far Teds new show is incredibly boring....

I for one am glad he wasn't on the race coverage this week. He's so tabloidy it hurts to watch. Him and Croft acting like a pair of buffoons having the #BANTZ and stinking up the show with their presence. No thanks

skipper_G wrote: »
    I for one am glad he wasn't on the race coverage this week. He's so tabloidy it hurts to watch. Him and Croft acting like a pair of buffoons having the #BANTZ and stinking up the show with their presence. No thanks

Ted, Crofty, and Herbert....fook me what a pack of absolute knobs. Lazenby gets some flak but I honestly don't mind him too much. Herbert prob the worst of all three though, objectively, he adds absolutely nothing to the production.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah. Down with the nanny state! Bet you enjoyed Likes Bianchi's last performance. Are you not entertained?

I dont need the drivers to die to enjoy the sport. Calling it nanny state is really out of order. They should expect to arrive home alive and uninjured after the race weekend. We should support them in expecting that too.

There are only two possibilities obviously.

They are far too quick to throw the safety car out for rain and far too slow to bring it back in. The Bianchi thing had 2 causes. 1 is the stupidity of the machinery being anywhere near a track with open-cockpit cars and the other being one that I don't anyone likes to admit.

• Advertisement

Did that mad Brazil race (02 or 03) Fisichella eventually win not start behind a Safety Car?

Guess F1 has been "nanny state" for the last 16 years.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Did that mad Brazil race (02 or 03) Fisichella eventually win not start behind a Safety Car?

Guess F1 has been "nanny state" for the last 16 years.

Although in 07 we had that mad German Grand Prix where about half the grid got stuck in a gravel trap, Liuzzi going backwards nearly took out the safety car and Spyker's reserve driver led a lap of the Grand Prix.

Yeah. Down with the nanny state! Bet you enjoyed Likes Bianchi's last performance. Are you not entertained?

I dont need the drivers to die to enjoy the sport. Calling it nanny state is really out of order. They should expect to arrive home alive and uninjured after the race weekend. We should support them in expecting that too.

Bianchi's accident was due to the recovery vehicle, had that vehicle been adequately kitted out or the race under a full safety car it could have been different, we will never know. Since Senna's death in 1994 Bianchi's has been the only one since. From what i remember the FIA or someone in authority said that the halo wouldn't have saved Bianchi either, it was diffuse axonal.

Serious accidents post Senna, of these one was career ending:

Panis 2 broken legs 1997
    Schumacher 1 broken leg 1999
    Burti crashed in Begium 2001, F1 career over even though he later tested for Ferrari.
    Ralf Schumacher USA 2004 spinal injury

There were 2 marshal fatalities in Monza 2000 & Australia 2001 from debris.

None of us can speculate as to what may have happened if the recovery vehicle wasn't present.

None of us can speculate as to what may have happened if the recovery vehicle wasn't present.

While that's true, I can say having seen the phone footage of the accident itself, is that Bianchi was carrying a lot of speed, far more than I feel he should have been carrying. Yes the conditions were bad, but the speed he went under that crane at was shocking (and I don't use that word lightly). It seems to me, that the tragedy was a 'perfect storm' of mistakes, not just from the marshals/stewards side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bianchi's accident was due to the recovery vehicle, had that vehicle been adequately kitted out or the race under a full safety car it could have been different, we will never know. Since Senna's death in 1994 Bianchi's has been the only one since. From what i remember the FIA or someone in authority said that the halo wouldn't have saved Bianchi either, it was diffuse axonal.

Serious accidents post Senna, of these one was career ending:

Panis 2 broken legs 1997
    Schumacher 1 broken leg 1999
    Burti crashed in Begium 2001, F1 career over even though he later tested for Ferrari.
    Ralf Schumacher USA 2004 spinal injury

There were 2 marshal fatalities in Monza 2000 & Australia 2001 from debris.

Don't forget Maria De Villota. She crashed testing the Marussia, and though she survived the crash she died a year later of cardiac arrest, as a result of the injuries from the crash. So indirectly she was the first F1 death since Senna.

And of course, Massa's concussion.
    Thanks for mentioning the marshals deaths. It always bugs me when people say no one died in F1 between Senna and Bianchi.
    Motor sport is dangerous and always will be, however the push for safer racing shouldn't be diminished because advances in this can then filter down into the road cars we drive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Mick Schumacher to test in Bahrain. Is he that good or has his father's name helped?

recyclebin wrote: »
    Mick Schumacher to test in Bahrain. Is he that good or has his father's name helped?

I just hope it doesn't turn out the same way as Ayrton Senna/Bruno Senna (Lalli).

Sour grapes here from Villeneuve, i guess it is nothing to do with what occurred after Germany 2006.

https://f1i.com/news/334164-unsupportive-villeneuve-says-kubica-return-sends-the-wrong-message.html

Jacques Villeneuve admits that Robert Kubica's miraculous return to the F1 grid is an amazing feat, but also one that sends the wrong message according to the Canadian.

• Advertisement

Don't forget Maria De Villota. She crashed testing the Marussia, and though she survived the crash she died a year later of cardiac arrest, as a result of the injuries from the crash. So indirectly she was the first F1 death since Senna.

Completely forgot about that poor lady.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement