Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

You are being very generous to her with that interpretation- no one else sees that! Even her FG colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

You're replying to somebody there who's just looking for a reaction. Just wasting your time, stick him on ignore like half of the people on here have done.

i only see the odd bit of what they write when people quote it. Pity that can't be blocked too. Must be a sad life sitting down all day trying to think of ways to get reactions out of strangers on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They are. People are raising a question of why she says that's for a judge to decide when she has also said she has dropped the case. See multiple earlier posts from others. Which would be a fair question if she said that. But as you correctly, she says would have been. Which while still evasive, is not an illogical answer.
    This is an example of, contrary to some suggestions, she is being very articulate, and exact with her choice of words. And she wins this exchange with SOR. Had he been better, he would have pressed with various tactics : you must remember as you had only had one drink, surely one of your friends remembers clearly even if you don't, is it in your affidavit, why are you refusing to answer a simple factual question, is it because you may yet take a legal action despite saying you have dropped it, etc. But he doesn't. He let's her off. Well played Maria on that one.

Except for

MB:We purchased a drink each at the bar, which we didn’t consume, we went up in the lift, we saw the swings. Nobody was drunk, nobody was messing, they’re like polished wood, these seats. I sat on them, I did have a bottle of beer in my hand and next thing I knew I was on the floor.

SOR: Ok, one bottle of beer in one hand ...

MB: I had my beer in my hand, and then I was reaching for my friend’s, I had a bottle of wine, she was taking her camera out of her jacket, I then found myself on the floor.

Which she then backtracked on by refusing to answer the question directly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

lawred2 wrote: »
    her retelling of the events are hilarious

Wouldn't it be even more hilarious if one of the two friends who were with her that night was Josepha herself?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

2smiggy wrote: »
    i only see the odd bit of what they write when people quote it. Pity that can't be blocked too. Must be a sad life sitting down all day trying to think of ways to get reactions out of strangers on the internet

He's trying to get his next Young Fine Gael achievement badge: Shameless Internet Propagandizing. His grammar and syntax are a bit poor, but they don't mark you down for that kind of thing anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

sabat wrote: »
    Am I the only one who visualises a certain image everytime they hear the phrase "something in each hand?"

This is the image I get......

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-man-two-pints-2026386-Apr2015/%3Famp%3D1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Shes in the playground now in Dun Laoighre ffs

Solicitors salivating looking at that . Where are the Supervisors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yurt! wrote: »
    He's trying to get his next Young Fine Gael achievement badge: Shameless Internet Propagandizing. His grammar and syntax are a bit poor, but they don't mark you down for that kind of thing anymore.

Nah they are a well known contrarian, check out the initials of their username, sometimes I interact cus im bored

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In the interview she was asked if Joespha Madigan gave her legal advice. She refused to answer this simple question.
    To be fair, if she's being represented by Madigan's husband's firm, then that may become a complicated question that she's better off saying nothing about.

It doesn't imply that Madigan advised her.

That said, there's clearly an issue here for Madigan if she was in any way involved in advising Bailey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

By her own words she essentially hadn't a case. Her interview with Sean O'Rourke is every political party's PR nightmare. IF she had had the backbone to say she made a catastrophic error of judgment in taking the case she would have garnered some empathy for a serious misjudgment. Instead she's still waffling on like she had a genuine case. She was injured someone is hence to blame.
    Nobody will take FG seriously about tackling compo culture. But this does need to be tackled or businesses will continue to close due to a combination of spurious claims and rising premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ah ffs, there's already youtube skits! No coming back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

No, it's incompetence from the construction industry, architects, engineers, project managers,plumbers, planners, decorators, lawyers, the HSE, doctors, elecricians, quantity surveyors. If they all did their job honestly, professionally, efficiently, and with moral backbone, the costs would not be the runaway embarrassment of Ireland that they are.
    Nothing to do with a political party. Does anyone (other than blind fan boys of whatever party) seriously believe that the costs would be any different whatever party we're in govt.?

I would lay responsibility with the senior Civil Service negotiators. They’re probably not even properly trained in how to negotiate or evaluate tenders with any knowledge of the industry. They’re like minnows swimming in shark infested waters.

And I’m not even implying corruption, favouritism or backhanders - just good old-fashioned incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Fine Gael wanted diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    My god just as you had thought that this story had died in walks Maria with a can of petrol to throw onto the embers.

She was asked did Joesepha Madigan advise her in relation to the case and she refused to answer so now we know that Madigan was advising her

She refused to answer what was in her second hand but also blurted out about a bottle of wine

And the story of how much drink she had sounds like a crock of sh1te too, one glass of wine in Sandyford at pre-drinks in a friends house, yeah right :rolleyes:
    Then in the hotel she buys a drink "which I didn't consume" but upstairs she is hanging out of a swing with a bottle of beer in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other whilst trying to lurch over to her friend who was taking a selfie If that doesnt conjure up an image of someone who was absolutely locked I dont know what would.

Brilliant!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I would lay responsibility with the senior Civil Service negotiators. They’re probably not even properly trained in how to negotiate or evaluate tenders with any knowledge of the industry. They’re like minnows swimming in shark infested waters.

And I’m not even implying corruption, favouritism or backhanders - just good old-fashioned incompetence.

They engage other consultants to evaluate the tenders!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

vriesmays wrote: »

Very original...

If anything it shows that humans male or female are capable of being dishonest and thick. Nobody ever said diversity removes behavioural traits common to both genders.

BTW we don't know if she was elected based on quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

holyhead wrote: »
    By her own words she essentially hadn't a case. Her interview with Sean O'Rourke is every political party's PR nightmare. IF she had had the backbone to say she made a catastrophic error of judgment in taking the case she would have garnered some empathy for a serious misjudgment. Instead she's still waffling on like she had a genuine case. She was injured someone is hence to blame.
    Nobody will take FG seriously about tackling compo culture. But this does need to be tackled or businesses will continue to close due to a combination of spurious claims and rising premiums.

No this is wrong, she is a mother and a strong female politician and people in Ireland *shakes fist in the sky* don't like that. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

No, it's incompetence from the construction industry, architects, engineers, project managers,plumbers, planners, decorators, lawyers, the HSE, doctors, elecricians, quantity surveyors. If they all did their job honestly, professionally, efficiently, and with moral backbone, the costs would not be the runaway embarrassment of Ireland that they are.
    Nothing to do with a political party. Does anyone (other than blind fan boys of whatever party) seriously believe that the costs would be any different whatever party we're in govt.?

What about the office of Government Procurement and the current tendering process?

Cervical checks?
    School Buildings?
    County Council projects (Irishtown and Lucan tracks to name 2 off top of my head)

vriesmays wrote: »
    They got Stupid . Maybe they got so much stupid that they don’t know the difference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Bleedin Scarla’ for her ma for havin her ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

KSU wrote: »
    What about the office of Government Procurement and the current tendering process?

Cervical checks?
    School Buildings?
    County Council projects (Irishtown and Lucan tracks to name 2 off top of my head)

Yes, all of the above as well. Blaming politicians, let alone a particular party for that fiasco.
    These types of projects cost us way above similar ones in other countries because Ireland Inc is unable to deliver the same value for money.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Very original...

If anything it shows that humans male or female are capable of being dishonest. Nobody ever said diversity removes behavioural traits common to both genders.

BTW we don't know if she was elected based on quotas.

Agreed on this one, sex has nothing to do with this. She tried to be a cute hoor and got caught but rather than fess up she has put her foot in it.

She herself would love for this to be about her sex as it takes the heat off. So people need to stop being so ****ing gullible because if you fall into the sexist trap you are giving her an out and validating what she is saying about this is because she is a woman.

Luckily most of Ireland can look past sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

How many times in the interview did she say "You know me, Sean..." before going on to assert her honesty, integrity and work ethic as well as her love of running?

All to personalise the interview and deter any hard questioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Calhoun wrote: »
    No this is wrong, she is a mother and a strong female politician and people in Ireland *shakes fist in the sky* don't like that.

Are you trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No this is wrong, she is a mother and a strong female politician and people in Ireland *shakes fist in the sky* don't like that.

:rolleyes:

holyhead wrote: »
    Are you trolling?

of course. Taking the piss out of the last part of her interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

of course. Taking the piss out of the last part of her interview.

ah ooops

She obviously expected this case to be settled before it came to court and the Public would never get to hear about it and she would have a nice little earner .

Other people must have had other ideas and luckily for the Irish public we have seen this Fine Gael TD for what she is .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Matt Cooper putting the boot in now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The simple question that wasn’t asked.......Maria, why was this the hotels fault?
    Why was she not asked this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement