Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toddler stabbed to death in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

January wrote: »
    Loads of people here at the time and recently again when news of his grave being exhumed came about defended him and claimed only someone who was mentally ill could do such a thing. Fact is the majority of women who do kill their children are mentally ill. Postpartum psychosis is a very real illness that can go untreated for years.

Anyone I spoke to and the majority of things I read pertaining to him described him as a beast. As for postpartum psychosis, I didn't once challenge that or say it's not a cause. I gave an opinion that I thought the reporting could go one of two ways. An observation, which is what forums are all about. Wasn't points scoring or using the death of a child to further an agenda (I'm fcuking disgusted at that accusation by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

it is a discussion forum, and i didnt go into this expecting merely an endless stream of condolences. other angles of course will be looked at whether we like it or not, the nature of the crime etc. thats what happens when you start a thread, unless its specified as a tribute. posters will draw discussion from some aspect.

horrific, unthinkable, what can be said.... you'd despair. it helps me a little to think the majority of people are not at all inclined to do anything like this, and we cherish children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Omackeral wrote: »
    Get a grip. How exactly am I scoring points? Explain that to me. Disgusting accusation.

It's exactly what you're doing.
    You're acting as though all killers of their family are acting from the same motives, when there are actually two very different groups, the ones that are genuinely insane, and those who want to punish the other partner.

Overall, more fathers kill than mothers, but the numbers killed by parents suffering mental illness is probably about the same. Those parents - male or female - hopefully get treatment rather than prison. And when a man kills his family due to severe mental illness that's take into account, as it should be. One near us in Carndonagh not long ago where the man killed his elderly parents with an axe. Wasn't found guilty of murder.

The difference is that more men kill their children without suffering from mental illness. Some women do too, but far fewer. Male or female, those people should get the book thrown at them, and they do.

But your assumption that the profiles of male and female killers are the same is wrong. That's why more mothers who kill their children are portrayed as mentally ill - because a higher proportion of them, in fact nearly all, of them are.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

volchitsa wrote: »
    It's exactly what you're doing.
    I assure you, it's not.
    That's why more mothers who kill their children are portrayed as mentally ill - because a higher proportion of them, in fact nearly all, of them are.

And show me where I disagreed with that? I didn't dispute that. I said if it's a man he'll likely be described as evil and if it's a woman she'll likely be described as mentally ill. You're saying there's truth to that based off statistics. That's fine and I take you at your word there. All I did was say that's how saw it going yet people are getting themselves in a frenzy saying I'm points scoring and using a child's death to do so. Utter rubbish and a lack of simple comprehension regarding a point being made. Also, I said it was a horrific occurrence and so very sad but that didn't register because it doesn't fit in with winning internet points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Robsweezie wrote: »
    it is a discussion forum, and i didnt go into this expecting merely an endless stream of condolences. other angles of course will be looked at whether we like it or not, the nature of the crime etc. thats what happens when you start a thread, unless its specified as a tribute. posters will draw discussion from some aspect.

horrific, unthinkable, what can be said.... you'd despair. it helps me a little to think the majority of people are not at all inclined to do anything like this, and we cherish children.

I agree with you that its pointless having threads on a discussion site where you can only post condolences (and I argued the same years back) but I don't think there is much good to be done by having threads very recent very personal tragedies involving non public figures.

Realistically we know nothing about it at this stage, most likely its something like severe post-natal depression but thats literally all that can be said at this point and even thats just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

I can see it going one of two ways.

If the perp was a male he'll be pilloried and called evil and subhuman. If it was a female, it'll be mental illness that's at fault.

RIP to the little boy. Horrifying news, so fcuking sad.

I... just despair. It's depressing that a few posts in to a thread on such fresh tragic news, you feel the need for agenda-pushing. Have some decency.

I assure you, it's not.

And show me where I disagreed with that? I didn't dispute that. I said if it's a man he'll likely be described as evil and if it's a woman she'll likely be described as mentally ill. You're saying there's truth to that based off statistics. That's fine and I take you at your word there. All I did was say that's how saw it going yet people are getting themselves in a frenzy saying I'm points scoring and using a child's death to do so. Utter rubbish and a lack of simple comprehension regarding a point being made. Also, I said it was a horrific occurrence and so very sad but that didn't register because it doesn't fit in with winning internet points.

It's point scoring because you're presenting it as though people "described" men as evil (and let women off for the same actions). That could only be true if as many women as men killed their own children, so that the profiles of the killers was comparable.

People don't "describe" men as evil for something they would excuse women for, they describe people who kill their children as evil unless they are mentally ill and not responsible for their actions. That includes the vast majority of mothers who kill, and some of the fathers.

When you remove those who show signs of severe mental illness from the total, the vast majority who are left are men. So to use your own words, the majority of men who kill are evil, the majority of women who kill are mentally ill. That's not just people's assumptions though, that's a fact.

Why more fathers are killing children: Top criminologist reveals research into a sickening trend

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

RIP

The individual thanking the OP needs to have a look at themselves, by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

RIP

The individual thanking the OP needs to have a look at themselves, by the way

I went back and thanked it aswell. Cheers for reminding me. Thanks to the OP for sharing the story, starting the thread and for their expression of sympathy? Whats wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Jesus christ, poor sod. No kid deserves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

very sad news indeed. RIP to you child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I went back and thanked it aswell. Cheers for reminding me. Thanks to the OP for sharing the story, starting the thread and for their expression of sympathy? Whats wrong with that?

Nigerian Baby Stabber

I think he means this wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

Nigerian Baby Stabber

I think he means this wanker

It looks like someone set up that account deliberately. Disgusting, can the mod's remove the thanks ?

I... just despair. It's depressing that a few posts in to a thread on such fresh tragic news, you feel the need for agenda-pushing. Have some decency.

I despair that some people don't have simple comprehension skills. I've explained myself at least three times on this matter. I don't have an agenda. I'm going off previous cases that I've come across. In my experience of reading about cases of infanticide or children dying at the hands of thier parents, public opinion can be drastically different based on whether it was the mother or the father responsible. That's literally what I said.

Compare the reaction of society to the murder-suicide case of Alan Hawe to the case of Irish woman Sinead Higgins, who killed herself and her 7 year old son Oisin in London last year. As a poster said in reaction to this, there's probably reasons why this is the case e.g. postpartum depression and I didn't and don't dispute that but nope, points scoring, gender bashing, using a child's death despite the fact I didn't bash any gender and I said the child's death is an absolutely sad tragedy. But go on by all means, get offended at an observation and assume away and question my decency.

It's point scoring because you're presenting it as though people "described" men as evil (and let women off for the same actions). That could only be true if as many women as men killed their own children, so that the profiles of the killers was comparable.

That last contention doesn't hold up in any way.
    People don't "describe" men as evil for something they would excuse women for, they describe people who kill their children as evil unless they are mentally ill and not responsible for their actions. That includes the vast majority of mothers who kill, and some of the fathers.

When mothers do it, it's practically a predetermined given that it will end up being put down to mental health reasons and case closed. That's worth questioning.

• Advertisement

When mothers do it, it's practically a predetermined given that it will end up being put down to mental health reasons and case closed. That's worth questioning.

No you're gender bashing and agenda pushing for even suggesting questioning it or looking into it. You should be ashamed. I despair. Have some decency.

You missed my point. Look at the name of the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This happened 200 meters from my house. I stood by watching the news reporters go about their work. There was a very sad atmosphere around the area.

They are private apartments with respectable people coming and going anytime I walk past. I'm not sure why a previous poster just assumed it was a junkie mother?

No you're gender bashing and agenda pushing for even suggesting questioning it or looking into it. You should be ashamed. I despair. Have some decency.

But you're not "looking into it", you're making unfounded and simplistic assertions based on your pre existing beliefs about gender.

I provided a link about an actual scientific study into the phenomenon - that's looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

MarkY91 wrote: »
    This happened 200 meters from my house. I stood by watching the news reporters go about their work. There was a very sad atmosphere around the area.

They are private apartments with respectable people coming and going anytime I walk past. I'm not sure why a previous poster just assumed it was a junkie mother?

How do you know if someone is respectable or not? Do they wear a badge?

• Advertisement

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    How do you know if someone is respectable or not? Do they wear a badge?

FFS. This thread has turned into an embarrassment of nit-picking, grandstanding and one-upmanship.

But you're not "looking into it", you're making unfounded and simplistic assertions based on your pre existing beliefs about gender.

I provided a link about an actual scientific study into the phenomenon - that's looking into it.

I give up. For the last time, I said if it's a woman it'll probably go the mental illness route. That's what i literally said. I didn't state any pre existing beliefs about gender, I based that on previous cases. Cases that I have looked into and read up on, ergo not unfounded. I didn't say one way or the other whether I agreed with society's take on it or not. I didn't run any gender down. I took on board what a poster said about post partum depression. I saw and see the legitimacy in that, as well as other factors. So yes, I have looked into it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FFS. This thread has turned into an embarrassment of nit-picking, grandstanding and one-upmanship.

There's no hyphen in 'nitpicking'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Actually your research is somewhat flawed-unsurprising if your source is the daily mail. If youd looked a bit deeper you'd find its a much more complex question than the one you've tried to answer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2174580/
    https://news.brown.edu/articles/2014/02/filicide
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/findings-from-most-in-depth-study-into-uk-parents-who-kill-their-children/
    http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20150613/parents-killing-their-children-is-surprisingly-common-but-difficult-to-understand

Notably the incidence is very much dependent on factors such as age of child. It also ignores the fact that there are psychiatric factors for a significant number of both the men and women who commit such an awful crime, albeit society is somewhat less compassionate to the idea that family breakup can be a devastating trigger for some. That said I'm not surprised that a daily mail article pushing the concept of 'family annihilators' isnt so keen on steering a compassionate course.

As an aside i recall we had a poster on AH banging on with that annihilator nonsense a few months back too, it got short shift from most posters on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Parents who murder their children should get the heaviest sentences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I can see it going one of two ways.

If the perp was a male he'll be pilloried and called evil and subhuman. If it was a female, it'll be mental illness that's at fault.

RIP to the little boy. Horrifying news, so fcuking sad.

Sorry, we can only offer condolences now can we? Oh please, this is a discussion forum.

I despair that some people don't have simple comprehension skills. I've explained myself at least three times on this matter.

I saw your subsequent posts, they didn't help your case. You used a very fresh, tragic news story to bring in a gender slant. This is what you did. Stop acting like a victim and own it, at the very least.
    Sorry, we can only offer condolences now can we? Oh please, this is a discussion forum.

You go, girlfrien'! *snaps fingers* So much sass!

You missed my point. Look at the name of the individual.

My bad. Apologies.

Parents who murder their children should get the heaviest sentences

That woman in England got away scott free after strangling her newbord with her knickers. I doubt the woman in this case will get the proper justice handed to her either

tritium wrote: »
    Actually your research is somewhat flawed-unsurprising if your source is the daily mail. If youd looked a bit deeper you'd find its a much more complex question than the one you've tried to answer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2174580/
    https://news.brown.edu/articles/2014/02/filicide
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/findings-from-most-in-depth-study-into-uk-parents-who-kill-their-children/
    http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20150613/parents-killing-their-children-is-surprisingly-common-but-difficult-to-understand

Notably the incidence is very much dependent on factors such as age of child. It also ignores the fact that there are psychiatric factors for a significant number of both the men and women who commit such an awful crime, albeit society is somewhat less compassionate to the idea that family breakup can be a devastating trigger for some. That said I'm not surprised that a daily mail article pushing the concept of 'family annihilators' isnt so keen on steering a compassionate course.

As an aside i recall we had a poster on AH banging on with that annihilator nonsense a few months back too, it got short shift from most posters on here.

Way to go, nothing to say about someone making totally unfounded claims, but complaints about the "wrong" articles being linked to pointing out flaws in that claim. Of course.

Look, I didn't say it wasn't complicated, I said it wasn't a simplistic "men are described as evil, women get the benefit of the assumption that it's not their fault because mental illness". Do your links prove that poster's assertion? If not, you're off topic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know I'll be castigated for this but I don't believe that people with a mental illness who commit a crime should be treated much differently from anybody else.

If someone with a mental illness kills someone, then I believe they should be tried in court, and if convicted receive the same sentence that everybody else would get for committing that crime. The only difference I would have is that instead of serving their sentence in a prison, that they serve their sentence in a secure hospital where they receive treatment for their illness. And, if at the end of their sentence, if the doctors don't pass them fit to be released, they get kept there until they are either better or else they are never released.

People shouldn't get light sentences based on them having a mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That woman in England got away scott free after strangling her newbord with her knickers. I doubt the woman in this case will get the proper justice handed to her either

Didn't read all the thread! How do you know that a woman did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Supposition. They have a dead child and a critically injured woman, no arrests, and they're not looking for anyone.

So you join the dots and the Gardai strongly believe the mother did it.

Anyway, this is a different matter. A woman who kills a newborn can claim infanticide, which is a lesser charge than murder. That's for a different thread.

You can't claim infanticide for a 3 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Gebgbegb wrote: »

They are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know I'll be castigated for this but I don't believe that people with a mental illness who commit a crime should be treated much differently from anybody else.

People shouldn't get light sentences based on them having a mental illness.
    It's a conversation for a different thread, but at the base of it you need to examine what it is you're trying to achieve with sentencing at all.

If it's revenge, then sure, punish them just the same.

But otherwise if your aim is to deter others and/or rehabilitate offenders, then treating mentally ill offenders the same as everyone else, won't achieve those aims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Heartbreaking.

RIP little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Omackeral wrote:

If there IS a link between mental health and infanticide by mothers, wouldn't THAT be worth looking into? Y'know, to try and prevent/limit reoccurrences?
    I don't see how it's "...gender bashing..." if it actually HELPS mothers and children in the future and as for "...agenda pushing..."??? Personally I think that YOU should be ashamed and have some decency for any possible future victims who could be helped to avoid such tragedies, for both the child AND the mother.

Way to go, nothing to say about someone making totally unfounded claims, but complaints about the "wrong" articles being linked to pointing out flaws in that claim. Of course.

Look, I didn't say it wasn't complicated, I said it wasn't a simplistic "men are described as evil, women get the benefit of the assumption that it's not their fault because mental illness". Do your links prove that poster's assertion? If not, you're off topic here.

Youre getting a wee bit too defensive there i think. I tried to add a bit of balance to your link to a daily mail article that frankly plays the same rather simplistic men vs women agenda that you slammed the other poster for, albeit from another perspective. If you looked at any of the links you'd see they hardly endorse either the original point made or indeed your rebuttal posts.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0711/889269-kimmage-dublin/

Gardaí are treating it as a 'personal tragedy' and are waiting to question the mother. Weird wording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0711/889269-kimmage-dublin/

Gardaí are treating it as a 'personal tragedy' and are waiting to question the mother. Weird wording.

its murder

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    If there IS a link between mental health and infanticide by mothers, wouldn't THAT be worth looking into? Y'know, to try and prevent/limit reoccurrences?
    I don't see how it's "...gender bashing..." if it actually HELPS mothers and children in the future and as for "...agenda pushing..."??? Personally I think that YOU should be ashamed and have some decency for any possible future victims who could be helped to avoid such tragedies, for both the child AND the mother.

I think while commendable your point doesn't go far enough. In many cases of child murder by either parent there seems to be something else going on- this isnt simply a crime of revenge or cruelty in many cases as far as i can tell. Whether its long term mental illness or shorter term issues brought on by some change in circumstances we should probably be looking at how to provide support to prevent this happening, including more open conversations about mental health and coping for both men and women.

One of the saddest points in the articles i linked is that many of the perpetrators felt it was done for the childrens own good, and thats not a natural mindset.

its murder

Maybe. Could be manslaughter either. I'm keeping an open mind but what I find strange is that the guards seem to have already made up theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Maybe. Could be manslaughter either. I'm keeping an open mind but what I find strange is that the guards seem to have already made up theirs.

They might know more then you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

its murder

Nobody is saying it isn't murder, in fact, Gardai have launched a murder probe and are waiting to question the mother in relation to what happened, but she's undergoing surgery for her injuries at this moment in time. So let's just wait and see what happens with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Model reads private messages about her being fat. It get 224 replies on boards.

Toddler stabbed to death, gets 78 replies.

Both posted around the same time. Boards going to ****s

• Advertisement

They might know more then you?

That's obvious. I'm just going by the article that says she hasn't been questioned yet. It seems prudent to reserve judgement until that happens. A toddler has been stabbed to death and they are calling it a personal tragedy. That is odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Nabber wrote: »
    Model reads private messages about her being fat. It get 224 replies on boards.

Toddler stabbed to death, gets 78 replies.

Not post around the same time. Boards going to ****s

Why? Its a tragic event, not much to discuss ia there?

tritium wrote: »
    Whether its long term mental illness or shorter term issues brought on by some change in circumstances we should probably be looking at how to provide support to prevent this happening, including more open conversations about mental health and coping for both men and women.

One of the saddest points in the articles i linked is that many of the perpetrators felt it was done for the childrens own good, and thats not a natural mindset.

We need to look at any factors in these cases that may point towards cause or indicators of risk.

We need a serious conversation about the State's responsibilities towards the children of people with mental health issues.

Genuinely, 'support' for such individuals should be a secondary concern. Of course, it may not be possible to identify at-risk cases before the fact, but I'm convinced that our current routine of diagnosing the parent/killer afterwards and closing the case as an unavoidable tragedy is a serious dereliction of duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That's obvious. I'm just going by the article that says she hasn't been questioned yet. It seems prudent to reserve judgement until that happens. A toddler has been stabbed to death and they are calling it a personal tragedy. That is odd.

Personal tragedy is probably garda speak for no one else involved but given a child is dead its a massive understatement and quite disrespectful imho to the deceased.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Personal tragedy is probably garda speak for no one else involved but given a child is dead its a massive understatement and quite disrespectful imho to the deceased.

Agreed, very poor choice of words.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement