Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah you phrased it a lot better than I did (ironically had drink in me at the time). Essentially, its very easy for anti-drink lobbyists to target teens in binge drinking campaigns when it seems to be a lot more rampant in the gay community but brushed under the carpet so to speak.

They do mention other groups the odd time, in fairness like housewives at home bored with the bottle of wine.
    But you are right it is normally teens in general that are targeted. However, there would be uproar if any particular minority group was pointed out as being prone to drinking to excess. I can understand how they keep it general in today's climate.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

But it's only ye (gormdubhgorm and castletownman) who have made up your minds that drink awareness campaigns are only aimed at heterosexual people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Following Ireland in sport is a waste of time - I cant identify with the rugby or soccer teams so why should I follow them?

The rugby team has just become one large marketing exercise while the game is constantly just being aimed at day trippers and corporate jollies.
    I played for years but can barely get a ticket as most of the club tickets are given out to officials and current players while all the other avenues have dried up as more and more tickets are given to people with no clue but who are there to be seen or fancy getting dressed up.

The soccer team? I always struggled to get behind a team of imports and cloggers - the fact that our 'hero' for a while was John Walters - a journeyman Liverpudlian who ran around a lot and kicked people more than the ball sums up Irish soccer. Plus the FAI is corrupt to the core.

It isn't a waste of time.

Quite the opposite in fact. If you are realistic about what you are looking at then supporting a sports team can be a fantastic thing. Falling for hype and expecting unrealistic things from sports teams is the problem.

Jonathan Walters didn't kick his opponents more than the ball and this very suggestion makes me think that you don't know what you are talking about.
    I've been supporting the Ireland football team for over thirty years and I can think of very few players that have tried harder in a green shirt than Jonathan Walters did. I believe that your criticism of him is entirely unmerited and without foundation. He may not have been the most skilful of players but his commitment and effort levels were second to none.

As for the inclusion of British Born Players, it is an attempt at using the rules to our advantage and it was this very use of players that led to the most successful period in Irish soccer history. Whether you like it or not they are the rules and they are the same for everyone. If we had to rely on Irish born players solely then Irish football and Rugby wouldnt be as strong as they are.

The corruption issue has been a blight on Irish soccer for decades (also the IOC). They've finally started to address this. WE'LL SEE HOW THAT DEVELOPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But it's only ye (gormdubhgorm and castletownman) who have made up your minds that drink awareness campaigns are only aimed at heterosexual people.

Well it definitely appears to be the case.

Actually another thing springs to mind. This time of year is county final season in GAA. You always hear of a story where a team go a bit mad after winning, and the usual condemnation follows (prostitute hired for a Kilkenny team a few years ago, Galway team breaking up the trophy this year). Yet, rugby's relationship with drink is a lot more pronounced but seemingly that's okay because Guinness and Heineken are still official sponsors. Extraordinary double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well it definitely appears to be the case.

Actually another thing springs to mind. This time of year is county final season in GAA. You always hear of a story where a team go a bit mad after winning, and the usual condemnation follows (prostitute hired for a Kilkenny team a few years ago, Galway team breaking up the trophy this year). Yet, rugby's relationship with drink is a lot more pronounced but seemingly that's okay because Guinness and Heineken are still official sponsors. Extraordinary double standards.

The rugby teams are just better at keeping this stuff on the quiet. They just have the cop on to keep it to themselves. If people don’t know then they don’t care. The English rugby team was bad for letting stories out - throwing the dwarf or whatever they did at the last World Cup.

I don’t care what these people do in their free time. If they can have their own craic without harming anyone and keep it to themselves, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The rugby teams are just better at keeping this stuff on the quiet. They just have the cop on to keep it to themselves. If people don’t know then they don’t care. The English rugby team was bad for letting stories out - throwing the dwarf or whatever they did at the last World Cup.

I don’t care what these people do in their free time. If they can have their own craic without harming anyone and keep it to themselves, no problem.

Worked well for Paddy Jackson. There is never any issue with alcohol as long as the lawyers and bankers that follow the rugby are involved. Indisputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Worked well for Paddy Jackson. There is never any issue with alcohol as long as the lawyers and bankers that follow the rugby are involved. Indisputable.

If you’re refereeing to the WhatsApp messages, it was made public. If you’re referring to the rape charge, then it was potentially a crime. Both of which were covered in the post you quoted.

I think you need to reread my posts, that was never said.
    It was said that they are predominately aimed at the demographic of young lads in general - regardless of orientation and so forth.

You're either male or female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I'm in my early 20s and I think nightclubs are ****, might not be too unpopular here but to my college friends, it's sacrilegious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

I wish I was as proud of my country as our Polish counterparts. Given they'd be more home affiliated because they're here but spend an evening in one of their company it's hard not to admire. We used be like that.

Being Irish isn't a big deal any more, we've overtaken ourselves trying to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

I don’t hate Boris Johnson, I think he’s portrayed as a buffoon in the media and it’s one of those things that everyone says by default ‘’he’s a right gob****e isn’t he etc, I actually think he’s done a good job to get a deal agreed in the midst of the chaos and hope they pass the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It isn't a waste of time.

Quite the opposite in fact. If you are realistic about what you are looking at then supporting a sports team can be a fantastic thing. Falling for hype and expecting unrealistic things from sports teams is the problem.

Jonathan Walters didn't kick his opponents more than the ball and this very suggestion makes me think that you don't know what you are talking about.
    I've been supporting the Ireland football team for over thirty years and I can think of very few players that have tried harder in a green shirt than Jonathan Walters did. I believe that your criticism of him is entirely unmerited and without foundation. He may not have been the most skilful of players but his commitment and effort levels were second to none.

As for the inclusion of British Born Players, it is an attempt at using the rules to our advantage and it was this very use of players that led to the most successful period in Irish soccer history. Whether you like it or not they are the rules and they are the same for everyone. If we had to rely on Irish born players solely then Irish football and Rugby wouldnt be as strong as they are.

The corruption issue has been a blight on Irish soccer for decades (also the IOC). They've finally started to address this. WE'LL SEE HOW THAT DEVELOPS.

I don’t know see why you are disagreeing with me- you like to watch a team full of British rejects who play rubbish football and are backed by a corrupt organisation just because they play in green as it satisfies some misplaced sense of patriotism - and I don’t.

Your point is that you’ve gotten enjoyment out of it but the only difference between following the British B 11 and Sunderland is the former wears green.

My point is that international sport is becoming more and more of a farce and in a lot of cases is not representative of the nation that it is representing.
    Do you not feel like a bit of a fraud cheering on Collins & Robinson (among others) - 2 lads none of us knew existed until about 5 min before they were suddenly 'Irish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The biggest contradiction going is the current stance that binge drinking has gone to epedemic levels but the acceptance of LGBT people is better than ever before.

Estimated guess but 90% of that community are fully fledged alcos (I actually don't know any gay that isn't a heavy drinker). Yet to criticise them would be seen as homophobic. Its easier to pick on young fellas whose only crime is the fact they are new to the drinking scene and generally smarten up as they get older. Or GAA lads who might go a bit wild after winning a county title after a drinking ban.

Its dangerous to conflate the figures and skirt over a large proportion of the data.

EDIT: and actually. This fella who was beat up midweek after thinking he was going to meet another man in a carpark. So Grindr is essentially seen as liberating for gay men, but if a straight man was admitting to hooking up with random women on Tindr, he'd be regarded as something of a tool.
    This is one bizarre all over the shop post.

You say at one stage figures and skirting over data...but before that admit that your 90% figure is plucked out of thin air.
    I could as easily say 100% of the gay community are not alcoholics, as I don't know any...can you not see how stupid that sounds?
    Then you mention "gaa lads" and "young fellas".
    I'm not sure I get the link?
    There are people in all walks of life that drink too much.

I am totally lost on the Grindr thing what is your point, the lad had the crap beaten out of him by a group, I dont think it's a bad thing that he went public it can raise awareness that this kind of thing still happens. I am not aware of similar happening to lads who meet woman on tinder? Tinder and Grindr a chunk of the people are just after hooking up with people what's your point?

I am a gay man I don't think anyone considers it liberating...it's a means to an end (whatever that might be-i met my partner on it 7 years ago and am getting married in a few weeks) the same as tinder and the majority of those apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Tina Turner ruined Creedence Clearwater Revivals 'Rolling on the River'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

AC/DC became a better band after their original singer Bon Scott died and Brian Johnson took over the vocals.

I don’t hate Boris Johnson, I think he’s portrayed as a buffoon in the media and it’s one of those things that everyone says by default ‘’he’s a right gob****e isn’t he etc, I actually think he’s done a good job to get a deal agreed in the midst of the chaos and hope they pass the deal

He is a pure political opportunistic who is adept at changing his tune/views if it suits his personal ambition within the political arena. He is very good at that aspect and has reached the pinnacle of British politics by doing so.
    Again like Trump it can be galling for others that the 'joke' has played the game better than they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That deal is on life support

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Estimated guess but 90% of that community are fully fledged alcos (I actually don't know any gay that isn't a heavy drinker)
    Plus because of this liberation and acceptance it leads to more promiscuity as this is tied in with thier expression/celebration of 'identity' as an LGBT person.

jiFfM.jpg

They should have stopped making any form of star treks after the film with the whale in it...

Edit - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

That was the pinnacle to me after that they were never as good - and just like watered down Guinness or a Guinness off shoot with a fancy name.

• Advertisement

I wish I was as proud of my country as our Polish counterparts. Given they'd be more home affiliated because they're here but spend an evening in one of their company it's hard not to admire. We used be like that.

Being Irish isn't a big deal any more, we've overtaken ourselves trying to fit in.

Why don't they live there then?

If a person is so proud of their homeland why don't they want to stay there?

Why don't they live there then?

If a person is so proud of their homeland why don't they want to stay there?

When you think of it is just the ex-pat factor. Any Irish person living abroad suddenly gets an increased level of pride being Irish.

jiFfM.jpg

It is supposed to be unpopular by the very nature of the thread in fairness!
    If it was popular surely that would mean it would deserve a face-palm or two?

There is definitely a gay identity/culture and in the past there were even organisations which frowned upon 'straight acting homosexuals' within the gay community themselves. As they felt they were being assimilated by 'straight culture'.

https://read.dukeupress.edu/glq/article/3/4/437-465/9940

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

He is a pure political opportunistic who is adept at changing his tune/views if it suits his personal ambition within the political arena. He is very good at that aspect and has reached the pinnacle of British politics by doing so.
    Again like Trump it can be galling for others that the 'joke' has played the game better than they did.

I agree with your description of Johnson but I don’t hate him and that was my point in making my post in that it’s unpopular to not hate him or think he’s a moron, I actually think the vast majority of politicians are out for their personal ambition however most aren’t as brazen about showing that like Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Most old songs from 60’s and 70’s aren’t that good, they only have significance and longevity because they were lucky to be part of the first wave of popular music.

Fleet wood Mac are absolutely boring

The Brexit discussion The Marion Finucane Show and This Week could be generated by a Transition Year student group project, based on what they researched.

2. "Callan's Kicks" is COMPLETE SURPLUS on RTE Radio and is COMPLETELY REDUNDANT. Sample reason: Todtay on "This Week"

RTE reporter interviewing British MP, with shouts from RedCoat Soldiers in the background, synced at the same time that the MP is trying to make an important point - I REPEAT , there is no requirement for "Callan's Kicks" RTE, please replace this program.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Is your view of Polish pride based on what you have observed in ireland as your post suggests or have you observed this "pride" in Poland?

Whatever the case i hope it is nothing like the "pride"many irish people in irish clubs in the UK display when they get maudlin when half pissed on a saturday night screeching out Wolf Tone songs and incoherent versions of Sean South of Garryowen.

I hope their "pride"manifests itself in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They should have stopped making any form of star treks after the film with the dolphin in it...

Edit - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

It was a whale, and Star Trek VI was one of the best in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I think you need to reread my posts, that was never said.
    It was said that they are predominately aimed at the demographic of young lads in general - regardless of orientation and so forth.
    But then what's the problem? Castletownman said originally that the drink awareness campaign was only aimed at young lads starting to drink, and after a big Gaelic game following a ban on alcohol, but that people celebrate alcoholism among gay people (men specifically, let's face it) by celebrating gay culture, and if someone says binge drinking is a bad thing to gay people it's homophobic. Absolutely all over the place.

Celebration of gay/pride culture does not mean also being ok with binge drinking. I mean people totally laugh at/react complacently to the excessive drinking among students.

Drink awareness campaigns are aimed at anyone who drinks too much. Concern about drinking too much is in relation to anyone who drinks too much.

Are alcoholics over represented in the gay community? Perhaps, but there is likely a myriad of other factors for that rather than just lots of partying because they're gay. Anyone I know with a drink problem (gay or straight) is not seen positively, and there is empathy and pity for them only. And worry about them.

I think the poster is just irritated by very OTT camp guys - and that's just his opinion (I am irritated by anyone OTT too) but why not say it instead of couching it in this weird narrative.

• Advertisement

But then what's the problem? Castletownman said originally that the drink awareness campaign was only aimed at young lads starting to drink, and after a big Gaelic game following a ban on alcohol, but that people celebrate alcoholism among gay people (men specifically, let's face it) by celebrating gay culture, and if someone says binge drinking is a bad thing to gay people it's homophobic. Absolutely all over the place.

Celebration of gay/pride culture does not mean also being ok with binge drinking. I mean people totally laugh at/react complacently to the excessive drinking among students.

Drink awareness campaigns are aimed at anyone who drinks too much. Concern about drinking too much is in relation to anyone who drinks too much.

Are alcoholics over represented in the gay community? Perhaps, but there is likely a myriad of other factors for that rather than just lots of partying because they're gay. Anyone I know with a drink problem (gay or straight) is not seen positively, and there is empathy and pity for them only. And worry about them.

I think the poster is just irritated by very OTT camp guys - and that's just his opinion (I am irritated by anyone OTT too) but why not say it instead of couching it in this weird narrative.

I think over representation of alcoholics in the Gay community were were the poster meant.
    And most of the narrative is aimed towards young lads in general being the problem
    It was clumsy phrased though, plus ironically the poster admitted they were drunk at the time they posted it! :D

As for the campness thing the poster did not mention it. But I can only speak for myself that it irritates me as it is a put on OTT act. I can understand though as it as a form of expression of culture and identity.

Plus it indicates to others that they are of that group. There is a whole language, custom, culture, mannerism and even speech to the community of different shades. They are proud of it. And rightly so it is thier identity.

Advertisement