Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Your Face wrote: »
    Buying rounds should be stopped. Bloody messy business.
    Just get your round in will you.

There is always the same fecker who disappears conveniently... :D
    The worst thing about it besides that, is people cannot drink at thier own pace.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

For all those reasons I bolded, I think he has played the game well and won.
    I don't believe it is simply because of money he has an innate intelligence for knowing his audience, and seeming like he is talking to his followers not 'at' them.

Hillary Clinton tried to copy him by trying to paint herself as the common man's President by starting to mention her great-grandfather a miner. Or she mentioned an ancestor cobbler as well which did not seem to work.
    It feel flat because the message did not seem authentic, and it seemed forced, unnatural.
    That has nothing to do with money it is knowing how to debate naturally.
    As a trained lawyer Clinton seemed robotic and calculated.
    Meanwhile she made Trump appear even more natural and relaxed.

As I said I admire the way Trump played the game, not bad for a multi-millionaire fella who was supposed to be just a joke.
    If it was that easy to become President of America every person with money would try it, and win.

Trump is just a clown who fits in well in the circus of American Politics. Anybody but Clinton might it actually beaten him but it doesn’t matter anyways. I think South Park summarised the American elections better then anybody. The choice of president is always between a turd sandwich or a giant douche.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Drumpot wrote: »
    Trump is just a clown who fits in well in the circus of American Politics. Anybody but Clinton might it actually beaten him but it doesn’t matter anyways. I think South Park summarised the American elections better then anybody. The choice of president is always between a turd sandwich or a giant douche.:cool:

Which one was Obama? The turd sandwich or the giant douche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

This is just turning into another Trump thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

If H. Clinton was a republican she'd be considered an absolute legend by her most ardent detractors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What's more worrying is that Hillary Clinton had a significant amount of experience in public life, her husband was a two term president and she had the whole democrat party behind her and she couldn't beat Donald Trump in two horse race.

Why is this country still the centre of the universe?

She lost (technically anyway) because a significant amount of Democrat voters simply couldn't bring themselves to vote for her and can't blame them either.

As for the US being "the centre of the universe", I think you'll find that the vast majority of people around the world wouldn't make that distinction.American may think they are the only country on the planet. But that certainly doesn't travel.
    What does it say abut American politics when this is the best they have to offer.

American politics has been a quagmire of filth since 1776 and I wouldn't be expecting it to change any time soon.

I watched a series and programme on Netflix about him he was very calculating. Not like the buffoon he is made out to be by his ardent detractors.

He's also not the second coming like a lot of the Trump cult would have you believe either.
    If it was simply a case of someone 'coming from money' he would not have gotten as far as he did.

I wouldn't be so sure. His wealth buffer has rescued him on numerous occasions. Money may not be a cure all but it talks. In all likelihood, nobody would have heard of the name Donald Trump is his father hadn't tossed him a business and a load of cash.
    He actually took a lot of his presentation style from Jesse 'The Ace' Ventura who became Governor of Minnesota. Be loud, be heard, get noticed.

I fail to see why this is a good thing.

Empty vessels can make a lot of noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If the Democrats didn't shaft Bernie Saunders, we won't have to listen to all the whinging about the Orange lad with the bad hair.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    If H. Clinton was a republican she'd be considered an absolute legend by her most ardent detractors.

This is the hilarious reality of the farce that US politics is. The fact is that Clinton would be conservative ticket in most other nations around the world. If she pledged allegiance to the Republicans, the only thing that would change would people voting for her.

The actual differences between the parties is quite minimal. They're both wedded to wealth, big business and Wall Street, so the idea that one is "left" and the other is "right" is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

What happens if your circumstances change significantly after having children?

Amendments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The homeless 5 year old eating dinner on the street - i dont care.

I also think the whole thing is a cynical charade by and for people who dont give a toss about homelessness either

retalivity wrote: »
    The homeless 5 year old eating dinner on the street - i dont care.

I also think the whole thing is a cynical charade by and for people who dont give a toss about homelessness either

Okay...…………….

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 youknowitstrue

Women are less happy now than the time before modern feminism began

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

less of them getting married too which means more happy men :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah The good old days....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The biggest contradiction going is the current stance that binge drinking has gone to epedemic levels but the acceptance of LGBT people is better than ever before.

Estimated guess but 90% of that community are fully fledged alcos (I actually don't know any gay that isn't a heavy drinker). Yet to criticise them would be seen as homophobic. Its easier to pick on young fellas whose only crime is the fact they are new to the drinking scene and generally smarten up as they get older. Or GAA lads who might go a bit wild after winning a county title after a drinking ban.

Its dangerous to conflate the figures and skirt over a large proportion of the data.

EDIT: and actually. This fella who was beat up midweek after thinking he was going to meet another man in a carpark. So Grindr is essentially seen as liberating for gay men, but if a straight man was admitting to hooking up with random women on Tindr, he'd be regarded as something of a tool.

The biggest contradiction going is the current stance that binge drinking has gone to epedemic levels but the acceptance of LGBT people is better than ever before.

Estimated guess but 90% of that community are fully fledged alcos (I actually don't know any gay that isn't a heavy drinker). Yet to criticise them would be seen as homophobic. Its easier to pick on young fellas whose only crime is the fact they are new to the drinking scene and generally smarten up as they get older. Or GAA lads who might go a bit wild after winning a county title after a drinking ban.

Its dangerous to conflate the figures and skirt over a large proportion of the data.

EDIT: and actually. This fella who was beat up midweek after thinking he was going to meet another man in a carpark. So Grindr is essentially seen as liberating for gay men, but if a straight man was admitting to hooking up with random women on Tindr, he'd be regarded as something of a tool.

WTAF???????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Women should stay away from men . Women are unhappy enough in themselves . No need to go spreading it about .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

blinding wrote: »
    Women should stay away from men . Women are unhappy enough in themselves . No need to go spreading it about .

Send them to me - Ill make them happy.
    I f*********************king love women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Scotland and Wales have produced better rock and indie bands than Ireland has.

• Advertisement

Crikey what's with the woman hating? Do these people hate all their female relatives too?

They complain about the idiotic women who hate all men, yet then do the same themselves in reverse...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If the Democrats didn't shaft Bernie Saunders, we won't have to listen to all the whinging about the Orange lad with the bad hair.

bernie would never have beaten trump

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Okay...…………….
    Obviously plenty of people genuinely care about the homeless, and only someone trying to look edgy would say they don't care about a little kid having to eat his dinner off the ground.

But, there is a lot of misinformed bullsh1t regarding homelessness, and a failure to grasp nuance. Homeless children though, that's always sad - but it's not always the fault of the government or "society".
    vriesmays wrote: »
    Scotland and Wales have produced better rock and indie bands than Ireland has.
    Why would that be unpopular? Although I dunno about Wales. But Scotland definitely. Remarkable musical record.

It's only you who is conflating acceptance of the LGBT community with acceptance of heavy drinking among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

England will win the Rugby world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So are you making the point that because the majority of LGBT people do not have kids they have more disposable income? The Pink Pound they used to call it.
    Then as they get older they keep the student 'lets have some craic' lifestyle. And as this is Ireland this means lots of drinking?

Because the LGBT community is more accepted this gives the chance of more drinking and more going out, that they would not have had in the past etc.
    Plus because of this liberation and acceptance it leads to more promiscuity as this is tied in with thier expression/celebration of 'identity' as an LGBT person.

I can see the point you are trying to make if this is the case.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So are you making the point that because the majority of LGBT people do not have kids they have more disposable income? The Pink Pound they used to call it.
    Then as they get older they keep the student 'lets have some craic' lifestyle. And as this is Ireland this means lots of drinking?

Because the LGBT community is more accepted this gives the chance of more drinking and more going out, that they would not have had in the past etc.
    Plus because of this liberation and acceptance it leads to more promiscuity as this is tied in with thier expression/celebration of 'identity' as an LGBT person.

I can see the point you are trying to make if this is the case.

Yeah you phrased it a lot better than I did (ironically had drink in me at the time). Essentially, its very easy for anti-drink lobbyists to target teens in binge drinking campaigns when it seems to be a lot more rampant in the gay community but brushed under the carpet so to speak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

doughef wrote: »
    Self pity ?? I couldn’t give a Fu**
    I’m neither working class or a north sider.

I hate the whole set up .. can’t wait until the Irish team are hammered by NZ and we don’t have to listen to anymore of this shi**

your wait is nearly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

vriesmays wrote: »
    England will win the Rugby world cup.

Better than the insufferable all blacks winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Following Ireland in sport is a waste of time - I cant identify with the rugby or soccer teams so why should I follow them?

The rugby team has just become one large marketing exercise while the game is constantly just being aimed at day trippers and corporate jollies.
    I played for years but can barely get a ticket as most of the club tickets are given out to officials and current players while all the other avenues have dried up as more and more tickets are given to people with no clue but who are there to be seen or fancy getting dressed up.

The soccer team? I always struggled to get behind a team of imports and cloggers - the fact that our 'hero' for a while was John Walters - a journeyman Liverpudlian who ran around a lot and kicked people more than the ball sums up Irish soccer. Plus the FAI is corrupt to the core.

Advertisement