Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-10-2018, 11:18   #1
thomasj

Dublin Bus selling some of its VTs

Th older 2005 registered ones up for sale
http://www.dublinbus.distilledads.ie/

Disappointed that they're getting rid of them as they have the greater capacity, but to be fair, IMHO, for someone who has to stand on a full bus, the SG buses are better built for the crowds.

I hope the NTA/DB know what they're doing, to make up for the loss of capacity.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 12:16   #2
bk

What I've always wondered about the VT's is their on paper capacity versus real world capacity.

On paper they have great capacity, but in the real world I wonder if they often actually come close to it. Their long length and in particular single door and lack of standing space makes me think that the real world capacity is far less. I've often seen VT's fly by without stopping, with a couple of people standing by the driver, but clearly lots of standing room behind and empty seats upstairs.

I'd love to see the data on average peak time capacity of a VT versus SG. Obviously DB and the NTA most have it from the ticket machines. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't too much difference.

BTW There are now Euro 6 engineed tri-axles, so maybe they will replace them with those.
19-10-2018, 13:00   #3
StreetLight

They won't be replaced by similar large-capacity types. At least for the foreseeable.
19-10-2018, 13:03   #4
punisher5112

124 is the number it can carry and I know of numerous occasions there was way more then that on it.

They can carry alright.
Thanks from:
19-10-2018, 13:20   #5
_Kaiser_

I've seen things on YouTube before where people convert ex-city buses and coaches into campers. One of these would be kinda cool and certainly cheaper than rent in Dublin if you had the conversion costs.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 13:21   #6
punisher5112

Best thing to drive in the wet they are tail happy, great fun to drive.
19-10-2018, 13:27   #7
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Best thing to drive in the wet they are tail happy, great fun to drive.
Fun in the snow too...

(4) thanks from:
19-10-2018, 13:30   #8
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112
124 is the number it can carry and I know of numerous occasions there was way more then that on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112
They can carry alright.
There was an occasion on Wednesday evening around 7.30 of two full 39As together heading outbound at that time.

It's quite often VTs would be full on this route so i hope they get their plans for this route right.
19-10-2018, 13:32   #9
bk

If they are going to do big tri-axles though, it should be done properly. Triple door, dual stairs like Hong Kong are getting.

Problem is, I don't think there are any hybrid or biogas tri-axles on the market, so wouldn't go with the no more Diesel directive from next year.

Maybe BRT style bendy buses could deliver the capacity on some routes where suitable.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 13:59   #10
KD345

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
On paper they have great capacity, but in the real world I wonder if they often actually come close to it. Their long length and in particular single door and lack of standing space makes me think that the real world capacity is far less. I've often seen VT's fly by without stopping, with a couple of people standing by the driver, but clearly lots of standing room behind and empty seats upstairs.
Travel the N11 any morning and you’ll see how full they get.

It’s a strange decision not to replace them with similar capacity vehicles. Considering you need three SGs to meet the capacity of two VTs, it means an extra driver and fuel etc. At a time when passenger numbers are increasing rapidly it’s odd.
19-10-2018, 14:00   #11
punisher5112

These vt have plenty more life as the 1st few years of their service they weren't ran at weekends and were only on peak runs.

Mileage was extremely low.
Thanks from:
19-10-2018, 14:28   #12
dfx-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Th older 2005 registered ones up for sale
http://www.dublinbus.distilledads.ie/

Disappointed that they're getting rid of them as they have the greater capacity, but to be fair, IMHO, for someone who has to stand on a full bus, the SG buses are better built for the crowds.

I hope the NTA/DB know what they're doing, to make up for the loss of capacity.
Terrible decision, but inevitable. Great buses.
19-10-2018, 15:36   #13
bk

Interesting, Go Ahead in London are trailing a hybrid tri-axle bus for London Bus:

https://cbwmagazine.com/london-to-tr...i-axle-decker/

Looks nice, though only one stairs.

If it works out, perhaps their is hope for new tri-axles for us in a few years if GA bring across their experience.

Thing is London Bus don't currently operate any tri-axles, so clearly they aren't a most for a big city operator.

BTW, very interesting and cool, I wish all DB buses had this brilliant feature:

Quote:
The bus is also equipped with occupancy indicators, with displays in the cab and at the bottom of the staircase showing the number of free seats available.
(2) thanks from:
19-10-2018, 15:50   #14
bk

Reading a little more about this bus, it is even more impressive. It has a 29kwh battery, that is as much as many full EV cars have (e.g. Leaf 24 and 30, Ioniq), by comparison a typical London Bus hybrid has only 5kwh battery!

So this is more like a full EV bus, with a range extender engine, rather then a typical hybrid, nice.
Thanks from:
19-10-2018, 16:19   #15
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
There was an occasion on Wednesday evening around 7.30 of two full 39As together heading outbound at that time.

It's quite often VTs would be full on this route so i hope they get their plans for this route right.
The Phibsoboro ones on the 39a are all 07 and it's only the 05 ones in Donnybrook which are being withdrawn. The 07 ones will still be around for a few more years. Although it wouldn't surprise me if some of the 07 buses in Phibsboro were moved to Donnybrook in the meantime to replace the void being left from the 05 buses in Donnybrook which mostly work the 46a.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion