Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Has anyone done the Aware Life Skills course? I'm starting it tonight, not sure what to expect. I've only ever been to one Aware meeting before and didn't find it great, mainly due to poor facilitation, hopefully this will be different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Had a panic attack before I could fall asleep last night. Don't know what time I eventually got to sleep but I prpbably slept four hours tops. Now I'm anxious and exhausted, a great way to start the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Has anyone done the Aware Life Skills course? I'm starting it tonight, not sure what to expect. I've only ever been to one Aware meeting before and didn't find it great, mainly due to poor facilitation, hopefully this will be different though.

I did it 7 years ago so not sure if it’s changed or not but I thought it was really helpful. There was a professor from Trinity college doing it when I did it which really surprised me at the time. It sort of gave me some confidence because it’s easy to presume that anxiety and depression is a mental weakness that defines you and means you are a weak person.

I committed to the then 6 week program and even when I had some doubts I pushed to finish the course. I went to a private CBT afterwards but worked with my doctor to get off all sorts of meds at the time. (I’ve shared my story here and on “let’s all laugh at depression” thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Just wanted to say hi and how is everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Just wanted to say hi and how is everyone?

Long day today. Had app with Irish life doc and had to travel across the city but felt good afterwards as the sun was shining and O Connell st looked great.

Simple things like that can make you have a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I see in the news they are talking about restricting the use of benzos and lyrica. Two drugs I'm on that I need daily - fcuk. Going to be an interesting next visit to the psychiatrist. Hopefully I won't have to beg for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Long day today. Had app with Irish life doc and had to travel across the city but felt good afterwards as the sun was shining and O Connell st looked great.

Simple things like that can make you have a good day.

Truer words were never spoken. I'm a real loner, as much a lone wolf as you can get. There are a couple of people at work I chat with, that's about it. There's one girl I work with, and I'm quite friendly with her although we're not actually friends. Was having a bad day there last week. My body language must have been speaking volumes cos no one came near me all day. Towards the end of work, she comes on over and asks me am I alright. I just say that I'm having one of those days. Out of nowhere, she puts her arms around me and gives me a hug, telling me not to worry about things. All day I felt as frozen as a rock (mentally speaking), but after she hugged me it was like all that cold just immediately melted. Such a simple thing, but it brought so much joy. Nothing sexual, or anything of the sort, just made me feel so warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Drumpot wrote: »
    I did it 7 years ago so not sure if it’s changed or not but I thought it was really helpful. There was a professor from Trinity college doing it when I did it which really surprised me at the time. It sort of gave me some confidence because it’s easy to presume that anxiety and depression is a mental weakness that defines you and means you are a weak person.

I committed to the then 6 week program and even when I had some doubts I pushed to finish the course. I went to a private CBT afterwards but worked with my doctor to get off all sorts of meds at the time. (I’ve shared my story here and on “let’s all laugh at depression” thread).

Thanks! :) I'm two weeks in and finding it brilliant so far, would definitely recommend it to anyone ... I've met a couple of lovely people in the group too, it's really good to be around people with similar struggles in life.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Truer words were never spoken. I'm a real loner, as much a lone wolf as you can get. There are a couple of people at work I chat with, that's about it. There's one girl I work with, and I'm quite friendly with her although we're not actually friends. Was having a bad day there last week. My body language must have been speaking volumes cos no one came near me all day. Towards the end of work, she comes on over and asks me am I alright. I just say that I'm having one of those days. Out of nowhere, she puts her arms around me and gives me a hug, telling me not to worry about things. All day I felt as frozen as a rock (mentally speaking), but after she hugged me it was like all that cold just immediately melted. Such a simple thing, but it brought so much joy. Nothing sexual, or anything of the sort, just made me feel so warm.

Nice story. There is good people out there. And something like you mention can make a big difference to someone feeling low. For me i always say hello to an elderly person and the smile they give me back makes my mood feel better.

I wouldn't consider myself a lone wolfe. I'm lucky to have good family and friends. I've just text my Sister there to say if she want's to bring my Nephews up to my home i will take care so she can do her shopping.

I need to keep busy, i find if i have something to do then it will stop me overthinking. But small steps, for example yesterday i made breakfast for my Mother then cut the grass. Simple things but my Mother was happy with it which in turn made me feel good.

It's just about finding the right balance. Maybe i will win the Euromillions tonight lol. I can only hope, but at least i feel i still have some hope and fight left in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

A friend gave me some magnesium supplements and I took x1 each day and i got a great energy and mood boost. Coffee affects the absorption of it and other minerals and vitamins, that can’t be good

I suspect coffee is having s negative effect on me
    https://home.bt.com/lifestyle/health/wellness/are-you-allergic-to-coffee-11363979651862

Everyone is different, consider staying off it for at least two weeks

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    A friend gave me some magnesium supplements and I took x1 each day and i got a great energy and mood boost. Coffee affects the absorption of it and other minerals and vitamins, that can’t be good

I suspect coffee is having s negative effect on me
    https://home.bt.com/lifestyle/health/wellness/are-you-allergic-to-coffee-11363979651862

Everyone is different, consider staying off it for at least two weeks

I only drink decaff coffee. When i used to drink normal coffee i used to get a twitch in my eye so gave it up. It's expensive in most shops but i found one in dealz for just €2 and it tastes good.

I found normal coffee increased my anxiety too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nice story. There is good people out there. And something like you mention can make a big difference to someone feeling low. For me i always say hello to an elderly person and the smile they give me back makes my mood feel better.

I wouldn't consider myself a lone wolfe. I'm lucky to have good family and friends. I've just text my Sister there to say if she want's to bring my Nephews up to my home i will take care so she can do her shopping.

Reminds me of when I could still go to mass during the week. After communion I would sit near the back on the aisle and smile at all the old ones as they came down with glum faces. Radiant smiles and often resulted in a short chat.

I am the archetypal loner. Always was. From childhood onwards Love folk but happy alone. Partly the illness now which makes social contact a total drain. Happy in my skin and working on for others at the knitting.

In the winter down place now and nothing I can do except survive. Supply lines are all set up etc and good stocks in. CFS/ME.... implacable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Has anyone here used valium for public speaking? Would you say it works for you or not?

Has anyone here used valium for public speaking? Would you say it works for you or not?

No. But i was prescribed it before and i had a job interview and my GP advised me not to take it before i went. Glad i did, it makes me a little bit spaced out so not good but everyone is different.
    Best you talk to your GP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

No. But i was prescribed it before and i had a job interview and my GP advised me not to take it before i went. Glad i did, it makes me a little bit spaced out so not good but everyone is different.
    Best you talk to your GP.

Spaced out in what sense?

Well it is in a way like "alcohol in a pill".

Spaced out in what sense?

Well it is in a way like "alcohol in a pill".

Probably worded it wrong. Made me tired and my brain seemed slower. My GP gave me xanax before and that worked without making me feel sleepy.

Does hoping for something bad to happen to you make you a bad person? Considering all the people out there that are homeless, trapped, enslaved, suffering etc in the world, and then here's me with an amazing opportunity at life hoping that a mystery bus will come out of nowhere and knock me into a coma? Maybe not bad, but a right selfish one anyway. Oh well, I've resigned myself to the idea that if there is a heaven and hell (which I very much doubt, but if there is), then I've guaranteed myself a first class one way ticket there.

A pleasant smidgeon of available energy came in unexpectedly y;day… maybe the wind took the humidity … deeply thankful for it and the dry mild day as I was able for a little of the long neglected gardening that has been a distress to me. Planted out kale seedlings.... tidied around.... Back to exhaustion today but the rain has set "in" as they say here " down for the day" so back abed, fire lit etc etc. feeling all the better for y;day.. yawn!

Does hoping for something bad to happen to you make you a bad person? Considering all the people out there that are homeless, trapped, enslaved, suffering etc in the world, and then here's me with an amazing opportunity at life hoping that a mystery bus will come out of nowhere and knock me into a coma? Maybe not bad, but a right selfish one anyway. Oh well, I've resigned myself to the idea that if there is a heaven and hell (which I very much doubt, but if there is), then I've guaranteed myself a first class one way ticket there.

(((HUGS)))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Talk to your doctor. A drug called a beta-blocker might be a better option. It slows the heart rate and stops palms from sweating without any drowsiness or spaced out feeling.
    Not everyone can take them but they are effective for performance anxiety.

• Advertisement

I think you have the "I WANNA HIDE UNDER THE BED" syndrome. ;) Just that something is or seems huge and too much. A little OTT in your ideas re evasion but perfectly normal... Deep breath! No punishment for being ill. Else I would be obliterated by now! Multiple times !

Graces7 wrote: »
    I think you have the "I WANNA HIDE UNDER THE BED" syndrome. ;) Just that something is or seems huge and too much. A little OTT in your ideas re evasion but perfectly normal... Deep breath! No punishment for being ill. Else I would be obliterated by now! Multiple times !

Hi graces how are you ?

Hi graces how are you ?[/QUOTE

Oh dear; not good sadly but will cope. Dratted CFS/ME is in full winter spate and migraines etc. Maybe old age doing this?

Last night slept over 11 hours with one brief waking for the bathroom. This is the norm now. Low blood sugar then chimed in with a migraine.

The difference now is that before I was correctly diagnosed I was told this was all in the mind etc. although we found one entry in my old medical records. " She has several genuine symptoms that we cannot explain. "

Now I KNOW this is CFS/ME so it does not drag me down as it used to then. I do what little I can and leave the rest.

So used to it all after FIFTY YEARS! :D I am alive and can still enjoy the air and flowers, my cats, knitting etc. Safe here. Every day is Sunday now after all....

But I still wish it would go fly! Just.. VANISH!

MY message and plea today. PLEASE if you have symptoms that are being put down to AITM< get it fully checked? The father of someone I knew was told he had agoraphobia, put on meds,, it rang a bell with me and I urged them to get a very full physical done. It transpired he had mild Parkinsons which needed little treatment.

OK: coffee calls and a slow plod round the estate... happy weekend all..

Just heard the chopper coming in. Please God all are OK; Rescue Medical bird

I know what your saying graces I have had lots of symptoms that were being in a round about way told they were all in my head and it was ptsd but I know my body and I know there was something else going on
    So recently I have my diagnosis and have proper meds but would have been better started a year ago but now I know what disease it is and I’m coming to terms with that
    Head wise I’m just a big mess this week really tough week

I know what your saying graces I have had lots of symptoms that were being in a round about way told they were all in my head and it was ptsd but I know my body and I know there was something else going on
    So recently I have my diagnosis and have proper meds but would have been better started a year ago but now I know what disease it is and I’m coming to terms with that
    Head wise I’m just a big mess this week really tough week

((HUGS)) We did not "have" ptsd in those far off days... I had reason enough for tht and most of it caused by drs!

Oh I always knew but they always said no, and more and more meds. But there we are; there is still so much joy in life and I know my moods and when to lie really low and rest. Let time pass... living out here is a great blessing. Body and mind are interwoven.

My current GP has no idea re M.E. That is fine. It really is. I know this illness through and through.

Just rest when and as you can. Do something you enjoy. Spoil yourself,

You can have this small cat if you want! She is clinging to my hand, purring, eyes goggled with fighting sleep and small pink tongue sticking out.... rescued street cat!

No, I just wanna.. .. .. well.

Ugh. Tried counselling again. Needless to say it was a waste of time. I've come to the realisation that my problem is that I'm not prepared to do what I need to do to help myself. If that makes any sort of sense?

How's everyone anyway? Enjoy the weekend?

Btw Grace, call me normal again and I'll.. .. .. beat up this tissue! {proceeds to pick up a tissue}

:D

No, I just wanna.. .. .. well.

Ugh. Tried counselling again. Needless to say it was a waste of time. I've come to the realisation that my problem is that I'm not prepared to do what I need to do to help myself. If that makes any sort of sense?

How's everyone anyway? Enjoy the weekend?

Btw Grace, call me normal again and I'll.. .. .. beat up this tissue! {proceeds to pick up a tissue}

:D

(((HUGS)))

Yes it makes sense. I used to do that and friends told me gently that sooner or later I would decide to do what was needed. That sooner was better than later.they were of course right.. But we each need to reach that stage ourselves. No one can do it for us.

If a tissue is all you beat up.. ;)

Every day is Sunday for me now. No difference, except that I do have a couple of hard phone calls to make today .. then, peace. too weary for anything else...

I also never go near counselling. Do not believe in it. But I have a wise and kind faith-family leader. Talking to a stranger? Nah!

How's everyone doing ? Been quiet lately.

Got a letter from Illness benefit to review my claim. Some of the questions are ridiculous. Can i use shampoo or brush my teeth. Who thinks these things up.

I was half thinking of saying no because i can't afford shampoo or toothpaste because you fuc*ers keep messing up my payment, ha ha.

zombified here. worst this has been for years, the CFS/ME I mean.

And Lorenzo will be calling out here tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

zombified here. worst this has been for years, the CFS/ME I mean.

And Lorenzo will be calling out here tomorrow..

Sorry to hear that graces, not looking forward to tomorrow either, I've to head to my psychiatrist just as the storm hits

Advertisement