Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lissadell -end of the struggle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

tipptom wrote: »
    I would definatly agree with you about people going right up to the house,I just think it would have been good all round if they had went to mediation and compromised on areas like that and it could have been settled with goodwill all round.

Presumably some discourse took place between the parties before the Walsh - Cassidy family headed to the high court?
    Is anyone in a position to fill us in on this?
    The family may have decided, rightly in my opinion, that the level of law enforcement in Ireland is so piss poor that they had to take more effective action.
    A work colleague of mine used to come in bleary eyed every morning having been kept awake by go-karters until the early hours.
    When she rang the Garda the response was, "What do you want us to do about it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I think if they could have stopped access to the house and private family areas and kept traffic out of the other areas all together, with the council taking on the financial burden of securing it with was needed to achieve this and allowed the local people walking their dogs and whatever, who would be an added eyes and ears around the area would have been a good compromise and if the council wouldn't have agreed to that,well then they deserved what they got in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Presumably some discourse took place between the parties before the Walsh - Cassidy family headed to the high court?
    Is anyone in a position to fill us in on this?
    The family may have decided, rightly in my opinion, that the level of law enforcement in Ireland is so piss poor that they had to take more effective action.
    A work colleague of mine used to come in bleary eyed every morning having been kept awake by go-karters until the early hours.
    When she rang the Garda the response was, "What do you want us to do about it".
    As far as I'm aware, efforts at mediation were refused by the owners who instigated legal proceedings instead. I think most locals got annoyed as a result of this decision.
    The initial closure of part of the main avenue past the house was done overnight and this was brought to a local Councillor. He took the matter up with the CoCo for clarification, and it went from there.
    While that Councillor is now castigated by many keyboard warriors, I think that's what Councillors are elected to do. Represent people who contact them!
    The issue with 'boy racers' is a national one on all roads, both main carriageways and rural small lanes, and in fairness to the Gardai, it's impossible to be everywhere.
    I believe if they met with the Council, a decision to close to all but private traffic, the part of the avenue that leads right around the house would have been accepted by 99% of the locals. But there's always the 1%!
    Closing the whole operation and blaming the Council wasn't a very wise decision when they then opened for the prerequisite minimum time to claim tax breaks. This was seen as very hollow by the majority of locals.
    There were, without doubt, mistakes made by both sides but that's in the past now.
    Just to clarify one more point, I have never been involved with either side in this unfortunate episode! I merely put forward my opinions and the story as I know it. I asked one poster on here if he/she was a local, because in cases like this you need local knowledge rather than depend on media reports for 'facts'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

@red sean. No disrespect to your good self but you appear to be of the opinion that everybody living in North Sligo were backing this so called 'Lissadell Action Group', In fact nothing could be further from the truth! 39 people lost their jobs because of a couple of narrow minded 'locals' who resented a 'blow-in' coming into the area who was willing to invest millions of euros on their doorstep, and what did these handful of begrudgers do... kick him when he is down,

I remember the infamous Bona saying that the Irish guy feels more comfortable and happy when his neighbour hasn't an arse in his pants, and that our cousins in the states have a better outlook in life.. for instance.. Irish guy sees a rich guy driving down the road in a rolls Royce and says..some day I am going to get that basta*d, while his American cousin sees a rich guy drive down the road in a Rolls Royce and says.. some day I'm gonna be like him.

Narrow-minded begrudgery from narrow-minded people who have 'landlordism' still stuck in their throats, time to move on Sean and leave the past behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    @red sean. No disrespect to your good self but you appear to be of the opinion that everybody living in North Sligo were backing this so called 'Lissadell Action Group', In fact nothing could be further from the truth! 39 people lost their jobs because of a couple of narrow minded 'locals' who resented a 'blow-in' coming into the area who was willing to invest millions of euros on their doorstep, and what did these handful of begrudgers do... kick him when he is down,

I remember the infamous Bona saying that the Irish guy feels more comfortable and happy when his neighbour hasn't an arse in his pants, and that our cousins in the states have a better outlook in life.. for instance.. Irish guy sees a rich guy driving down the road in a rolls Royce and says..some day I am going to get that basta*d, while his American cousin sees a rich guy drive down the road in a Rolls Royce and says.. some day I'm gonna be like him.
    Narrow-minded begrudgery from narrow-minded people who have 'landlordism' still stuck in their throats, time to move on Sean and leave the past behind.
    Totally incorrect.Read again what I said in the last paragraph!
    I merely stated fact, which you apparently don't want to read.
    As I said, there was no need for anyone to lose their jobs seeing as the estate opened every Sept/Oct. It could have been kept open all the time and the objectors may then have been a whole lot less. I don't know how many were in the "action group", but a lot not involved in it had very strong opinions also.
    The new owners were warmly welcomed by everybody locally prior to this happening, so who they are or where they're from was irrelevent to everyone.

Read my post again to see I had no part whatsoever in supporting either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

red sean wrote: »
    As I said, there was no need for anyone to lose their jobs seeing as the estate opened every Sept/Oct.
    Keeping it open on a limited basis was probably a financial decision. I run a small business ( not in sligo! ) and the public liability insurance on my modest premises just about makes me cry. I can only imagine what the bill for an extensive property with vehicular traffic would be. I know there are tax implications as well butnot sure on details of that. I have the impression that once the tax exemption lapses its difficult to reclaim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Keeping it open on a limited basis was probably a financial decision. I run a small business ( not in sligo! ) and the public liability insurance on my modest premises just about makes me cry. I can only imagine what the bill for an extensive property with vehicular traffic would be. I know there are tax implications as well butnot sure on details of that. I have the impression that once the tax exemption lapses its difficult to reclaim?

This.

From Trinity News; "it would be virtually impossible for the estate to operate as a historic house or indeed as a private home if public rights of way were established. Insurance would not be granted for health and safety reasons"

I hope the house reopens to the public and it's a shame Sligo co co squandered so much tax payers € to try and make some sort of political point. I think part of the problem comes down to a nasty attitude "blow ins" and their money. Look at Tipptoms posts on the subject. Bonkers.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This.

From Trinity News; "it would be virtually impossible for the estate to operate as a historic house or indeed as a private home if public rights of way were established. Insurance would not be granted for health and safety reasons"

I hope the house reopens to the public and it's a shame Sligo co co squandered so much tax payers € to try and make some sort of political point. I think part of the problem comes down to a nasty attitude "blow ins" and their money. Look at Tipptoms posts on the subject. Bonkers.
    Where did I say blow ins,I said they came in knowing full well the situation at Lissadell and decided to ride roughshod over any rights that was there,refused to talk or to any compromise or mediation and when they lost their case they threw their toys out of the pram and put up barbed wire and fences across the area,now that is the actions of a nasty attitude towards the locals.

Please explain to me where the begrudgery and jealousy was towards the Walshe/Cassidys when they bought the house?

Just because somebody doesn't agree with your view of "jobs at any cost" does not mean your right,now that would be bonkers.

I said they came in knowing full well the situation at Lissadell and decided to ride roughshod over any rights that was there,refused to talk or to any compromise or mediation and when they lost their case they threw their toys out of the pram and put up barbed wire and fences across the area.

I presume you have evidence for all this?

I presume you have evidence for all this?
    So it said on the papers and I havnt heard the Walsh/cassidys contradicting it,if you heard something to the contrary let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

a lot of anecdotal bulls..t being bandied about in here and one or two posters in danger of stepping in their own mess as they backtrack.

I would suggest that anyone not familiar with the FACTS of the case read the judgement provided:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/court-rules-in-favour-of-lissadell-owners-in-right-of-way-case-1.1590985

in summary - in the run up to local elections in Dec 2008, things not progressing quickly enough for local councillor Lenonard on the issue of public rights of way, so motion put down and adopted at council meeting, declaring rights of way through Lissadell estate.
    the only way to have this extinguished is to go to court and get a declaration that the rights of way do not exist - which is what was done by the owners.

Please explain to me where the begrudgery and jealousy was towards the Walshe/Cassidys when they bought the house?

I'm talking about your rants, your new money references and your obvious hatred towards people you don't know and a situation you obviously know nothing about.
    Just because somebody doesn't agree with your view of "jobs at any cost" does not mean your right,now that would be bonkers.

Don't know what you're on about. Bonkers.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm talking about your rants, your new money references and your obvious hatred towards people you don't know and a situation you obviously know nothing about.

Don't know what you're on about. Bonkers.
    There is a cabal on this thread who just want to bully anyone from posting who do not agree with the Walshe/Cassidys and against the people who used their democractic elected officals and because of this the whole population of Sligo has been called begrudgers,jealous and hatred of the family.

Now show me where I have said I have hated the family,?
    I stand by everything I have said that they acted like vulgar new money in the way they tried to bully the local people in to submission and take advantage of laws that the government are afraid to bring in to line with every other civilised country because of fear of upsetting their core supporters,rich people,farmers and speculators and every cent was worth it in defending local people and that other groups may take some positivity from this that there is somebody to defend them from rich people trampling all over them.

Now show me where I have said I have hated the family,?

Well you display a very aggressive anomosity throughout the thread towards the people in question with your language and your tone. You're using words like vulgar new money, you're calling them bullies, you say they are taking advantage and you accuse them of trampling over people and you're ignoring the facts. It's fairly obvious to anyone reading how you feel about them.

You're posts on the subject are absolute classic keyboard warrior stuff. Anonymously posting up horrible things about people like you're some sort of ranting working class hero. It's easy to be a hero hidden behind your pc. ;)

I think if they could have stopped access to the house and private family areas and kept traffic out of the other areas all together, with the council taking on the financial burden of securing it with was needed to achieve this and allowed the local people walking their dogs and whatever, who would be an added eyes and ears around the area would have been a good compromise and if the council wouldn't have agreed to that,well then they deserved what they got in court.
    I'm outta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

And don't bother coming back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevkev56

Commendations to Sligo County Council for trying to retain access for Irish people to the Irish countryside! Its what our patriots fought for. But due to weak governance from our 'leaders' since then, our rights of access are being whittled away by - mostly - our own new wealthy classes (many of them from the legal profession). It was interesting to see the children of the family standing outside the Supreme Court, with the delight of having excluded us from 'their property' so evident - what an attitude for parents to promote in their children! They are all welcome to walk outside my home anytime.

kevkev56 wrote: »
    Commendations to Sligo County Council for trying to retain access for Irish people to the Irish countryside! Its what our patriots fought for. But due to weak governance from our 'leaders' since then, our rights of access are being whittled away by - mostly - our own new wealthy classes (many of them from the legal profession). It was interesting to see the children of the family standing outside the Supreme Court, with the delight of having excluded us from 'their property' so evident - what an attitude for parents to promote in their children! They are all welcome to walk outside my home anytime.

I thought they were wonderful.
    Well scrubbed.
    Well spoken.
    And not taking themselves too seriously.
    Just ....Kids.

kevkev56 wrote: »
    Commendations to Sligo County Council for

Refusing to spend 4 million on the property and then, in a fit of jealous pettiness, spends 10 million of tax payers money trying to ruin it for the new owners in doing so getting the whole place shut down to the public?

John B Keane would be fascinated to see life imitating his art at such an official level.

Great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

For an outsider reading this thread it must be astonishing, for a local it is profoundly saddening.

The bile directed towards the owners is sickening, drawing comparisons to 200 years ago in some narrow minds for planters read Dubliners, for English aristocracy read successful lawyers.

I am from Sligo and if this was my land and I got it for free, I would do exactly the same as the owners. All of our homes are built on land that used to be green fields, no way would I allow someone walk in the front gate of my house, pass the side of it and out the back garden just because people used to walk there a hundred years ago.

Some of the posts here remind me of a line from Blazing Saddles when Gene Wilder was describing some of the locals, "simple people, people of the land, morons"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

sligoblue wrote: »
    All of our homes are built on land that used to be green fields, no way would I allow someone walk in the front gate of my house, pass the side of it and out the back garden just because people used to walk there a hundred years ago.
    yea we own a farm in sligo & was having a rant in college to one of the lads in the course one day after some hillwalkers damaged fence & sheep got out. was saying a farm is private property (freehold/leasehold/etc) same as any house, doesnt matter if its scenic whatever excuse. without a right of way or consent you are trespassing same as if i went walking in your garden. he couldnt understand the premise! scary thing is i did architecture in college....

if people want to moan about consent then have a look at the america lawsuit culture that has been seeping in and the massive insurance costs. (kevkev) also didnt a lot of our patriots fight for us to have a right to own our own land and distribute it as we please... re the penal laws!

what boggles the mind is as rambo said 2 posts ago, sligo coco wouldnt pay for the house (so the public had their chance! this is where the anger should be) but would spend as much on a fools errand which someone in the planning department should have been able to tell them... and most likely did however counsellors & political footballs...

The courts have ruled that Sligo Co. Co. must pay all of their own costs and 75% of the owners costs.
    What's the betting on Sligo Co.Co. declaring bankruptcy?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/council-faces-multi-million-euro-bill-after-lissadell-court-ruling-1.1747093

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The courts have ruled that Sligo Co. Co. must pay all of their own costs and 75% of the owners costs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/council-faces-multi-million-euro-bill-after-lissadell-court-ruling-1.1747093

Cue local property tax skyrocketing in 2015 for us Sligonians. And all because of one gobshíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well that's the Councils debt tipped over the €100m mark after that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Well that's the Councils debt tipped over the €100m mark after that...

It's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement

Wonder what logic arrived at 75%? Four routes under dispute, council was vindicated (kind of) on one, so was 25% right or something?

Wonder what logic arrived at 75%? Four routes under dispute, council was vindicated (kind of) on one, so was 25% right or something?

Maybe the they didn't want to rub Sligo Co Co's nose too deeply in the doodah?.... in case they'd drown completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

there's a thread on this in after hours ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057181577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

What a waste of money. I hope heads will roll but I know they won't. I'm glad the owners won their case. Can't believe some heehaws still think its okay to trespass in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Both councillor's and council officials have to take the blame and the two biggest instigator's Joe Leonard and Hubert kearins were cute get out before the Dung hits the fan,but in saying that the other fools of councillor's that were there cannot be proud of themselves either it's a pure shambles that us the good people of sligo will be punished for not the elected officials or the civil service set of sligo co. Co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I'm from dublin but have followed this case in the news. I think lissadell is a wonderful place.

It is interesting to read the comments and opinions of people from Sligo about the situation. It seems the general consensus is that the council made a mess of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Yes big time they did I'm originally from the locality it was a personal crusade taken by one councilor who lost all sight of right it has cost jobs and damaged the tourism capability's of the county,the common person ends up been the looser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I wonder which Carribean island the sellers are sitting on right now laughing their bollix off...

I wonder which Carribean island the sellers are sitting on right now laughing their bollix off...

Sellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On a similar-sized one to the one the lawyers are sitting on I'd have thought......:D

I heard on the grapevine that there was a right old ding dong today at a meeting of Sligo Co. Co.
    If any of the local papers have a full report could someone post a link, please.
    Apparently Counsellor Leonard "defended himself robustly" against attacks from all sides.
    Wonder if it'll affect his pension?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

How can the Sligo council afford this?

I heard on the grapevine that there was a right old ding dong today at a meeting of Sligo Co. Co.
    If any of the local papers have a full report could someone post a link, please.
    Apparently Counsellor Leonard "defended himself robustly" against attacks from all sides.
    Are transcripts/minutes, made available publicly shortly after session do you know?
    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    How can the Sligo council afford this?

They can't. Central funds will have to be used to dig the coco out of the hole (which these costs are only a small portion of) eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Oh to be a fly on the wall!!! I wonder if the so called 'Lissadell Action Group' will hold a few ol church gate collections to pay for the mess they got the tax payer into!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Oh to be a fly on the wall!!!

I think it was an open meeting was it not? Sligo Today were tweeting all the "action" from within the meeting anyway.

Couple of reports:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lissadell-owners-say-council-report-is-a-whitewash-1.1775645

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=30885

I particularly liked this:
    In 2009, one thousand people in Maugherow petitioned Sligo County Council to stop the case. Not only were they ignored, the Council refused to accept the petition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

When the councillors come canvassing, just ask them what way they voted on the motion forwarded by Mr Leonard. Be sure and tell them how they have shafted us for many years to come. Here's to years of increasing property tax and plenty of potholes. :mad:

I think it was an open meeting was it not? Sligo Today were tweeting all the "action" from within the meeting anyway.

Couple of reports:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lissadell-owners-say-council-report-is-a-whitewash-1.1775645

I particularly liked this:

'nother article from todays IT that I missed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sligo-manager-says-door-open-to-lissadell-estate-owners-1.1776729?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    The Sligo county manager has said his door is open to the owners of the Lissadell estate
    Labour councillor Jim McGarry said the family deserved an apology from Sligo County Council.
    And some guff from leonard about any reasonable observer being mystified by the SC ruling

Good to see they're going to hold onto it and reopen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I see Perry is all over it like a rash, I'd be doubtful he had anything to do with the Walshes decision.

Delighted the councils complete cock-up hasn't ruined the chance of the house staying open after all.

Good to see they're going to hold onto it and reopen it.

I presume the best way to recover from this debacle is to reopen Lissadell to visitors.

If we assume the number of visitors quickly reaches the same level as prior to the closure (40,000) and that there will be a revenue of €5 per visitor, then in, say, five or six years they will have generated gross revenue of around €1 million. How far will that go to pay their legal costs?
    How was it in the public interest to make this claim which has resulted in Lissadell being closed, 40 thousand visitors and rising being lost, 34 jobs being lost and the people of Sligo having to pay 100% of Sligo County Councils legal costs, and 75% of our legal costs which we incurred in defending our family and our house?

Apparently Cllr Leonard recited this ditty at Sligo County Council's special meeting on Lissadell (original spelling and syntax):

The Ballad of Lissadell

Come all you rich young lawyers and invest in Lissadell,
    Just tramp on any protest, they're just locals what the hell,
    Bar up the gates and lock them tight, keep dirty yokels out,
    That noble senior council drink their port and use their clout.

The Sligo County Council dares declares was clearly true,
    Or local papers even cheap give notice that you'll sue,
    With expert litigation you can make the croppies crawl,
    Convince them that their ancient rights were never rights at all.

Oh poor Maud Gonne the cause you loved, the fights you fought is lost,
    And poor old Countess Markievicz who strove at such a cost,
    The proud Gore-Booths who sacrificed and doled out to the poor,
    Their ideals now in dust and Mother Ireland just a whore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

:rolleyes: I'd love to know what his attitude would be towards me if I decided his private property were mine to use as I wished.

He's just a begrudger towards the people he sees as the descendants of the Anglo-Irish ascendancy, except they didn't inherit this property they bought it and they invested a great deal of money in preserving it, which the council and the state refused to do.

The irony is a hundred years ago the likes of him were burning these houses.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I believe none other than an Taoiseach is appearing at the big event.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Apparently Cllr Leonard recited this ditty at Sligo County Council's special meeting on Lissadell (original spelling and syntax):

The Ballad of Lissadell

Come all you rich young lawyers and invest in Lissadell,
    Just tramp on any protest, they're just locals what the hell,
    Bar up the gates and lock them tight, keep dirty yokels out,
    That noble senior council drink their port and use their clout.

The Sligo County Council dares declares was clearly true,
    Or local papers even cheap give notice that you'll sue,
    With expert litigation you can make the croppies crawl,
    Convince them that their ancient rights were never rights at all.

Oh poor Maud Gonne the cause you loved, the fights you fought is lost,
    And poor old Countess Markievicz who strove at such a cost,
    The proud Gore-Booths who sacrificed and doled out to the poor,
    Their ideals now in dust and Mother Ireland just a whore.

His poetry is on a par with his political competency!

Advertisement