Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If I could just get as fas as Ireland and be with my family (Also must hope my sister will get back to Ireland) then I'll be more than thankful. Nothing under the tree please. I just want to see it with my own eyes and hug the family!

I reckon a lot less pub for us. Mam is a barperson but they are a "wet pub" so not likely they'll be open? I'll miss the footy with my friends on Stephen's Day and the following day. It's usually just the 4 of us and Dad often works some hours on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My boss asked me to book a Christmas party for our team (about 10 people), nothing fancy but a meal and drinks.... it's 100% not going to happen. I've tried explaining but I think like a lot of people, he's hanging on the hope that things will be normal by Christmas :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My boss asked me to book a Christmas party for our team (about 10 people), nothing fancy but a meal and drinks.... it's 100% not going to happen. I've tried explaining but I think like a lot of people, he's hanging on the hope that things will be normal by Christmas :(

Yeah even under level two I think it’s 6 max is it?

Christmas is cancelled in my house this year, due to my mother's passing from Covid19.

Its tradition in my family that christmas cards etc, are not sent the year of the death of an immediate family member as a mark of respect.

No small children, so just another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Yea was well buried in the news for the last few weeks..

CPE superbug being detected at record levels, says HSE
    Ten hospitals currently have CPE outbreaks; superbug said to pose ‘existential threat’ to health service

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cpe-superbug-being-detected-at-record-levels-says-hse-1.4368298

Ah jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Christmas is cancelled in my house this year, due to my mother's passing from Covid19.

Its tradition in my family that christmas cards etc, are not sent the year of the death of an immediate family member as a mark of respect.

Condolences Loueze on the death of your Mum. Will be a difficult Christmas.

pc7 wrote: »
    Yeah even under level two I think it’s 6 max is it?

Yeah and at that, it's 6 people from 3 households. So it's not going to happen. I saw some venues are taking bookings anyway, but I'm sort of "forgetting" to do it because I know most of the team don't want to do it this year anyway. I've suggested an alternative plan, but sure we will see how the next few weeks pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

GT89 wrote: »
    They have been literally saying the next two weeks are critical since mid March

Yep and they wonder why people aren't really getting the message now.

I'm really sorry for your loss, that's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Once I became an adult and worked in retail I came to hate Christmas. Now I've got little ones and have spent the year buying as much hot wheels tracks as possible. Something I always wanted at their age but never got so hopefully we'll have a few days of planning and building a massive racetrack together.

Would love to head north to see my ma but will have to see how things are closer to the time. I think we'd be alright anyway since we're all staying home as much as possible and generally avoiding other people 99% of the time. Any time we've visited its been discussed about the risks and if a visit is worth it, none of this "sure it'll be grand" lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Could be a year to be thankful of the smaller things in life. Not to get caught up in the pressures of what Christmas has become. Might be a good opportunity to spend time with close family enjoying our health and what we have.

Thank you to those who expressed condolences.

I don't mean to be downer, but maybe this christmas will be a little less commercial, a little less centered around the pubs and drinking culture, and a lot more family orientated. No harm, in my view, to get back to a few basics.

Forgo the work and house parties and go see your elderly family members, is my view. Appreciate them while you have them because you never know the day or the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

niallo27 wrote: »
    Gettign pissed.

Enjoy, have a merry one.
    FYP and your spelling mistake for good measure.

It's very possible to do that without spreading the virus btw.

For us I can't really see our celebrations being much affected really, kids are (just) still santa age but not really interested in going to see him anymore etc, we'd normally do a night out with close friends for dinner and drinks, probably will again this year as it's not a huge group and we're in regular contact anyway, we don't do a lot of visiting other than the grandparents.

Shopping wise, we try to get it done early anyway, already started, hopefully Black Friday will see that done.

Hate the work parties so normally find an excuse, good one this year lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Thank you to those who expressed condolences.

I don't mean to be downer, but maybe this christmas will be a little less commercial, a little less centered around the pubs and drinking culture, and a lot more family orientated.

This our plan, told the kids already that Christmas will be about enjoying our own close family, nice food, group activities rather than the loads of presents they usually get. In our area lots of family’s are on PUP payments so most of our community have agreed to to focus in other areas so children who cant get much do not feel left out.

I have not seen my mum, dad, brother & sister in over a year now, we had center Parcs in the UK booked for Christmas for all of us to get together but that has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some will go all out about family but visits may be difficult.
    However people will use it as an excuse to get out of visiting people they don’t want to see as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hopefully have the elderly folks over for dinner. Avoiding them altogether now. Too risky.

Ha ha same here, also have picked up a load of Halloween stuff to decorate the house and a few bits for the garden. Will try make it spooky for the smallies at least.

I’m gonna invest in a few of these bucks as a defence against Covid.

4-D4594-C9-DD37-45-C5-9-FF6-9091-BF5-BDB4-B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Very near normal for me I expect.

Those that want to hide behind their Christmas tree can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

prunudo wrote: »
    Could be a year to be thankful of the smaller things in life. Not to get caught up in the pressures of what Christmas has become. Might be a good opportunity to spend time with close family enjoying our health and what we have.

Good sentiment, we will certainly be doing that with those we live not too far from & will never leave my Mum alone again that cocooners thing is just cruel. We & our kids really missing their GPs in UK & I swear if I see an ad about grandparents & zoom 'together but apart' for Christmas I will literally go mental. While people say 'Christmas is just another day' its not really, it can be a really really tough time for people esp. those alone &/or those who have lost someone & they need the comfort of people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you satisfied that the test they are using to detect the superbug is accurate?

I don't care they never restrict our freedoms because of one. I'll take my chances with Covid over a Superbug any day.
    Anyways as you were it's not the thread for it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

funnydoggy wrote: »
    There's a superbug?

It's the superest of them all.

I think we should postpone Christmas until next year and re-use this year's calendars. Those born on 29 February will be able to celebrate an extra birthday. The millenium bug will re-emerge as the decade bug as computers struggle to make the transition from 31/12/2020 to 01/01/2020. In fact it will become known as the superest decade bug ever

I know this is something the Donald is secretly planning for. This year's Presidential election will either be the superest election of all time, or the one that gets reinstated in November 2020 part II with the Donald staying in power until the end of 2020 part II. He will be a little confused by that and will start his campaign with the slogan "11 more years"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

A lot of Irish peoples Xmas revolves around getting pissed and spending outrageous amounts of money on stuff they or other people don't need. Will be no harm to dial it back a bit this year.

A lot of Irish peoples Xmas revolves around getting pissed and spending outrageous amounts of money on stuff they or other people don't need. Will be no harm to dial it back a bit this year.

Pretty much sums up Christmas in many other countries too, put that whip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i will carry on as normal -

i'm guessing the only difference will be less pub and more house parties which will be a pain cos at my age most people have kids that need to be shipped off for a house party so the childless friends will be very popular in December.

Traditionally I'd have had an all dayer on new year day with the lads . not sure if possible this year but we'll manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People will still get drunk at home and those who want house parties still will.
    I can also see people spending a good bit on presents this year. Some will say they are doing it for the economy but others will say we need something nice after they year we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I cant wait for Christmas and the Christmas forum is hopping on boards! Have smallies in the house and we are generally stay at home family so it won’t be too different. We aren’t pub people generally these days

Currently hoping to host my siblings and parents at the start of December but if the numbers are bad then I’ll do them all separately one family at a time. My in laws usually come Christmas Day for dinner and the night, hopefully that can still go ahead.

We’ll find new traditions if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Christmas will be a problem. It tends to bring extended families together.

Even my immediate family is made up of 14 people from 4 households. That’s just parents, siblings, a grandparent and aunts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

FYP and your spelling mistake for good measure.

This may come as a shock to you but its possible to get pissed without going to a pub
    People will still get drunk at home and those who want house parties still will.
    I can also see people spending a good bit on presents this year. Some will say they are doing it for the economy but others will say we need something nice after they year we had.

I bought myself an early christmas present, star trek pizza cutter in the shape of the enterprise 1701-D, I had money refunded from a transformers convention that had been due to take place in august but was cancelled, one of the guests was Peter Cullen aka Optimus Prime

We (me, parents and sister) usually go for a day's shopping in dublin a few days before christmas, a few days ago my parents informed me that we were booked to go for a weekend at center parcs instead

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

A lot of Irish peoples Xmas revolves around being with their small kids and grandparents, enjoying that short lived magical time together. Its not about drink or money or mad gifts, its the excitement of it all. I'll really miss that if I can't have our parents over. My smallies are at the perfect age for it all, it really is amazing to enjoy it with them. I don't want to risk our parents getting sick though, it sucks balls. :(

• Advertisement

My smallies are at the perfect age for it all, it really is amazing to enjoy it with them.

Enjoy, it's a time to cherish, mine are fast approaching the age where the magic fades (a little), really determined nothing will get in the way of one last big one.

Advertisement