Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas during Covid times

Options
  • 01-10-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Christmas is not that far away and things seem to be getting worse with the Virus.

What is realistic to expect?

Christmas Day itself won't be that different for us and I really want to make it special for the Kids.
    We have been doing our own Christmas for years just the 4 of us.
    Sometimes we have had friends over for Dinner on the day which won't happen this year.

But apart from the 25th, it is everything else that usually happens over the Holiday.
    Meeting up with friends for dinner/drinks, going to a concert, shopping etc.
    And visiting family. We usually spend NYE with my Mum. Highly unlikely to happen this year we feel. She is elderly with underlying conditions. She lives hours away.

Want to prepare for a different Christmas and manage the Kids' expectations really.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not doing anything different, probably in the pub less other than that business as normal, can't see me starting to avoid family and friends.

Tbh this superbug in the hospitals that's actively killing makes covid look like Mary Poppins. Hospitals are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Hadn't heard about Superbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Staying home ourselves. Which we started last year. Im not sure if we will visit family. We usually stroll around town on xmas eve with the kids and go for some food but have booked somewhere local this year.

I work alot of the Christmas anyway so I suppose we have always had a regular low key xmas period anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Gettign pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Since the government doesn't make a firm stance, either go with the Chinese or Swedish approach, and instead elects for endless quasi lockdowns and restrictions with no plan and no end in sight, say goodbye to a normal Christmas and many other things after it.

It's not simply the virus to blame, it's the actions of this failed government. Never ever forget this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

niallo27 wrote: »
    Getting pissed Spreading the virus.

FYP and your spelling mistake for good measure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don't really know, we'd usually do breakfast in a local restaurant with friends and their kids Christmas Eve, can't see that happening. We usually have both families over to us for dinner (too many households and people even at level 2), can't see that happening. Due to be away with another family for NYE in a hired house, can't see that happening. I know people will say just do it etc etc etc, but our parents are elderly so would be vulnerable I wouldn't want to put them at risk. I might see can we do one side Christmas day for dinner (well ventilated etc), the other side Stephens Day. Will just have to see what the next few weeks bring, we are all based in Dublin, kids are in school/creche so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They’d probably be more people spending Christmas at home this year instead of going out to families/restaurants. So, they’d probably be more of a demand for people buying turkeys, supplies, etc in the supermarkets. So, unless the supermarkets carter for this. Things may sell out of stock and people will put it down to people panic buying.
    I think people will get sorted early and won’t be leaving things go to the last minute.
    They’ll also be less people going on casual shopping trips.
    Christmas markets, Santa’s, etc will be different.
    Christmas parties, twelve pubs, etc will probably be cancelled or they’d be run on a small scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Only thing thats guaranteed is panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

There's a superbug?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Christmas is crap unless you are a child or have children. I wonder will be zoom work christmas parties and the like this year mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I imagine NPHET are dreading Christmas.
    Packed shops in the weeks leading up. People travelling home from all parts of the country. Pubs. Multiple households meeting up on the day itself.

Unless we can somehow get a handle on the virus over the next month or so, I reckon NPHET will have to make a really tough call and ask us all to pretty much give Christmas a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

pc7 wrote: »
    I don't really know, we'd usually do breakfast in a local restaurant with friends and their kids Christmas Eve, can't see that happening. We usually have both families over to us for dinner (too many households and people even at level 2), can't see that happening. Due to be away with another family for NYE in a hired house, can't see that happening. I know people will say just do it etc etc etc, but our parents are elderly so would be vulnerable I wouldn't want to put them at risk. I might see can we do one side Christmas day for dinner (well ventilated etc), the other side Stephens Day. Will just have to see what the next few weeks bring, we are all based in Dublin, kids are in school/creche so far so good.

Yeah, we have talked about it and just can't see us going to Mum's. She is vulnerable and lives with my sister who has special needs and multiple underlying conditions too.
    Usually another of my sisters spends Christmas with them and we do New Years. I worry that it will be just the 2 of them Christmas Day. One of my sisters lives abroad and won't be coming home and I don't know the plans of the sister who usually stays for Christmas.

Likely limiting contacts to close family members, no meeting friends in pubs etc, possibly no pub at all rather than every second day that is the norm at Christmas. No big deal for one year, still see family, can do all the drinking I want at home, less expectations to be going places so can relax more etc better than going around spreading the virus like some will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I wouldn't be leaving out any cookies, milk, carrots or alcohol anyway. Don't want some bastard traipsing through my house touching everything
    after visiting a bunch of plague monkeys before me. I'll leave the porch open and he can leave the good **** in there.

If you have Santa, I’d get it done now. Same with any presents you intend to buy.

Non perishable foodstuff could also be done now if the best before date allows.

I’m actually looking at outdoor Christmas decorations right now. Usually have a wreath on the door and that’s about it. As we’ll all have time on our hands not going out, we could go full on American and light the country up. What was the name of that film with Danny Devito where he wanted his lights to be seen from space?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Won't be going around the houses as we usually do around Xmas. Won't be the same no doubt about it but it's a small price to pay for safety tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

There'll be advert after advert of Grandparents at home playing boardgames over skype with grandkids played to a soppy backing track with some puke worthy tag line such as "even apart, we're all closer than ever this Christmas"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think we will be at a very important cross-roads at Christmas and the two weeks after it will be crucial and NPHET will be very concerned.

My Christmas will be very near normal. Visit Wifes family, visit my own family, few nights in the pub etc.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    There'll be advert after advert of Grandparents at home playing boardgames over skype with grandkids played to a soppy backing track with some puke worthy tag line such as "even apart, we're all closer than ever this Christmas"

Copyright that before John Lewis do :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’m actually looking at outdoor Christmas decorations right now. Usually have a wreath on the door and that’s about it. As we’ll all have time on our hands not going out, we could go full on American and light the country up. What was the name of that film with Danny Devito where he wanted his lights to be seen from space?

Ha ha same here, also have picked up a load of Halloween stuff to decorate the house and a few bits for the garden. Will try make it spooky for the smallies at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Hadn't heard about Superbug.

Yea was well buried in the news for the last few weeks..

CPE superbug being detected at record levels, says HSE
    Ten hospitals currently have CPE outbreaks; superbug said to pose ‘existential threat’ to health service

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cpe-superbug-being-detected-at-record-levels-says-hse-1.4368298

That's mental about that bug, you'd think with all the hand washing, etc. etc. it shouldn't be spreading. Bloody hell, feck off 2020!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think we will be at a very important cross-roads at Christmas and the two weeks after it will be crucial and NPHET will be very concerned.

My Christmas will be very near normal. Visit Wifes family, visit my own family, few nights in the pub etc.

They have been literally saying the next two weeks are critical since mid March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I'm all for level 5 restrictions during Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I always travel home (the original home) to Greece and spend Christmas with my parents and sister.
    I reckon it will depend on whether there will be any flights happening that would allow me to get home.
    I will just have to wait until early December before making any plans but we all prepare for the possibility that we might have to spend Christmas separately this year. . .

Will that leave you on your lonesome, Aris?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Christmas is basically written off this year. Probably do family lunch with extended family but that'll be about it. Parties with open bars won't be happening.

The loss of the xmas trade is going to finish off a lot of businesses.

Not doing anything different, probably in the pub less other than that business as normal, can't see me starting to avoid family and friends.

Tbh this superbug in the hospitals that's actively killing makes covid look like Mary Poppins. Hospitals are in trouble.

Are you satisfied that the test they are using to detect the superbug is accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Will that leave you on your lonesome, Aris?

Yes Strawbs.
    I'm not thinking so much about myself - more about my parents, not sure how easily they would cope not having me there.

I'm hopeful that flights will be available, it will be mostly whether I would find a combination of flights to get me there and back.
    I'm actually in Greece at the moment visiting my family in case we don't meet for Christmas. I flew direct and paid extra for business class so I wouldn't have anyone sitting near me (and I thought the whole experience was quiet safe) and I don't mind paying extra again to have the same safe flight.

We'll see anyway, thank you for asking!! :)

Advertisement