Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭JKerova1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If thats not 90% rust then its definitely worth that money, great little cars. Somebody on here was looking for one last year if I remember correctly.

Thought it was steep enough until I looked on the UK sites and they are selling for double that. Half tempted to take a look at it...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup they are starting to get pricey in the UK. If I had the room i'd buy it myself.

At least the seller is upfront about the arches. Aside from rust, is there anything I should look for? I had a mk2 before but that's a different beast altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Thought it was steep enough until I looked on the UK sites and they are selling for double that.
    Issues with insurance here has meant that for the right buyer some serious bargains can be had alright.
    At least the seller is upfront about the arches. Aside from rust, is there anything I should look for?
    The rust will cost a pretty penny to sort out properly, but he includes all the bits and bobs for the main areas of concern, which is great. That it passed an NCT likely means what rot is there is limited enough as it doesn't tend to remain hidden for very long, particularly at the rear wheel arches/sill join. IIRC they put foam in that neck of the woods at the factory with all the issues that would cause. Engine overheating could be an issue with these, so ask about that. Check as much of the original interior parts are present as interior parts can be a nightmare to source. I see the interior has been redone, I presume recovered? Otherwise that's a very nice little car for the money and great craic to drive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

^ re the MR2, what is the bonnet badge, is it a tuner type akin to Honda/Mugen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is really nice. It needs a colour coded bonnet and a decent set of number plates though

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ re the MR2, what is the bonnet badge, is it a tuner type akin to Honda/Mugen?

Think the badge is an eagle, sort of an unofficial MR2 badge that they used on the Jap ones I think. Alot of MR2 owners would fit them themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Think the badge is an eagle, sort of an unofficial MR2 badge that they used on the Jap ones I think. Alot of MR2 owners would fit them themselves.

All the MK1 MR2's came with that badge - also known as the "screaming chicken" !!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

TigerTim wrote: »
    All the MK1 MR2's came with that badge - also known as the "screaming chicken" !!.

Didnt realise that thanks!

Anybody else enquire about this car? I have rang a few times now with no answer. Can't understand why people can't just take down their ads when the car is sold.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Any thoughts on this one?
    Price seems reasonable, as its only one year off vintage tax.
    I have seen some loud MK2 colours over the years but never a banana yellow one!
    Must have been resprayed though, as when one checks the UK reg it says its silver?
    I wonder if the inside of the bonnet and engine bay are still silver?

Sorry can't post link as I am a new user. Its ad number: 14464142 on Donedeal though.

MrRolex wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this one?
    Price seems reasonable, as its only one year off vintage tax.
    I have seen some loud MK2 colours over the years but never a banana yellow one!
    Must have been resprayed though, as when one checks the UK reg it says its silver?
    I wonder if the inside of the bonnet and engine bay are still silver?

Sorry can't post link as I am a new user. Its ad number: 14464142 on Donedeal though.

For reference

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-golf-yellow/14464142

ODhhYjQzOTdjNTViMmE2NDEzMjhmM2VkYTcwMmMyMzMEU9fVHzOmvX8Uv9XPPWLvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODA0ODE2OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I kind of like the colour. I'd live with it if the respray was decent; and as you say, have the door jambs etc been done too.

A 1.6 would be somewhat lively in comparison to the 1.3s in most Irish cars

Thanks for posting the picture up.
    I quite like it myself, something different.
    Agreed it would want to be a proper respray though.
    I saw a lovely 1987 16V, but sadly the owner had ruined it by respraying it from atlas grey to Mercedes almandine. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely colour; but the engine bay and door shuts weren't done so it looked a cheap job.
    I wish people would do it in the same colour to keep the car original.
    OK if its an engine out, glass out job though.
    Must be national yellow Golf week as there are also 2x MK1 Golf's in yellow on DD too.
    Don't like the air suspension though, I think it ruins it.
    The other original one is nice though.

Two yellow Mk1s

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mk1-golf/14371438

MDQ5YzI2ODdkMGQ2NzI2M2Y5YzViZWM1NjM0OGM4N2TTNmcec1yN1FClLCj5sgPMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzUwMDAzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

And

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-golf-gld-1500-diesel/14192318

ODkwZWVkMjZlZWIzNmZhZmRlYWZiMTYyM2FjMDc0ZTHhkRRFiqguXqAo09RN2tOkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODMwOTEyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The second one actually lives quite close to me. Mint is not quite the word for it. I've seen it parked up locally a few times and had a good look around, and it looks better than new.

Would love to know how much he wants for it

Yes those are the two..
    Many thanks for putting them up.
    I prefer the original one, looks mint indeed.
    I suppose no price means he wants top dollar for it.
    I don't blame him, as genuine buyers will call and ask questions.
    I would think its got to be over 6K?
    What do you reckon?
    Actually thinking about it, 57K on a 1979!
    He could probably ask 7-8K for it.
    That 1.5 diesel wouldn't even be run in yet..
    Shame the other lad fitted that air suspension and ruined it.
    If it had standard suspension it would be a lovely car for 5K.

I wouldn't be surprised by a figure like that tbh. It is really nice, would look the part in a VW showroom.

Heres a quick shot of it out and about locally during Summer last year.

IMG_2402_zpsavswfdsb.jpg

• Advertisement

A real stunner!
    I see what you mean about it being mint.
    He wasn't exaggerating when he said its a show car!
    Best Golf on DD at the moment in my opinion.
    Shame its way over my budget as I would love a mint MK1 like that.
    I suppose its back to looking for a MK2 needing work for me so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's the ad:

linky

Looks decent but you know you are taking some risks? First of all the car doesn't seem to have a current MOT? Even if it had, you will have to put it through the NCT here. And because the car is not yet 30 years old, the VRT you will owe on the car is a minimum of €720

On lower end value "youngtimers", it's usually a better idea to find cars already on Irish plates

Edit - missed the posts on this page, so see that Duke has already put this link up, sorry!

unkel wrote: »
    Here's the ad:

linky

Looks decent but you know you are taking some risks? First of all the car doesn't seem to have a current MOT? Even if it had, you will have to put it through the NCT here. And because the car is not yet 30 years old, the VRT you will owe on the car is a minimum of €720

On lower end value "youngtimers", it's usually a better idea to find cars already on Irish plates

Edit - missed the posts on this page, so see that Duke has already put this link up, sorry!

Agreed, I would want to see more than one picture on the ad before driving all the way to Antrim to view it. Its a risk indeed.
    Personally I get a good feeling if the seller puts the max 10 pictures allowed on Donedeal, and has an in-depth description of work the car has had done etc. Saves calling and travelling to be let down by something rotten. Its true what they say, a picture says a thousand words. Good cars always have loads of them. You make a good point on the VRT too. 720 Euro is a lot to add, and then another year of full fat tax at 636 Euro. Maybe its not the value I first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Not quite a classic, but just 2 years away. I think this is great value, but its been up a long time so....

NCT until august 2017

Y2Q2MWFkYjA4YmY3MjgxMWY5NTYxNWEwMjM1M2NjMWIIeW_uGgeVai2_GiH0xcVmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjA4OTg3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Clean looking car. Probably the time of year doesn't help. Convertibles seem to sell faster from Easter onward, and for more. I suppose more people fancy them in the hope of getting a summer. I had a MK1 Golf GTI convertible years ago and it was a really fun car to drive, great fun on summers evenings driving down country lanes to the pub for a pint. Not as noisy as you would think with the roof up either.

• Advertisement

Not quite a classic, but just 2 years away. I think this is great value

That is a nice find, wonder why it is so cheap, maybe he has been dropping the price? Not 2 years away from classic, more like nearly 4 years (car first registered Aug '90?)

Only a 1.8 so not the end of the world to tax it normally for a few more years before it hits classic tax though...

Not 2 years away from classic, more like nearly 4 years

D'oh! Of course. :) I've just written "2018" in a document about 10 times so I think I lost a year there...

Still, I'd only have it on the road 6 months of the year anyway so I wouldn't begrudge it the 1.8 tax.

As an entry level classic I reckon its a cracker. Reliable VW engineering ( when that meant something), comfortable enough for everyday use and parts are still pretty easy to come by.

You really need to have a garage for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

^ are the autoboxes good on this era VW?
    Would they be 4 speed?

I had a couple of Mk2's in the early/mid 90s but they were all manuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

They are 3 speed automatics. Not the nicest to drive...

Mod: There is a dedicated thread for posting your own ads.

This one?

Linky

Looks nice but it's a ridiculous asking price for the car with no NCT imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

That is a nice find, wonder why it is so cheap, maybe he has been dropping the price? Not 2 years away from classic, more like nearly 4 years (car first registered Aug '90?)

Only a 1.8 so not the end of the world to tax it normally for a few more years before it hits classic tax though...

Strange it hasn't sold. Ad has 2,364 views. Surely someone must have gone & seen the car at this stage.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

No, it is based on a terribly modified Porsche.

• Advertisement

DakarVert wrote: »

Looking at the engine in the boot it must be.
    In any case, with a 12K asking price the owner still thinks we are in the Celtic Tiger boom.
    For 12K I would be looking for a real 911, not a kit car.
    Mind you I have seen worse on Donedeal at the moment, the yellow Ferrari 355/MR2 wins that. Even the 9 digit reg is abhorrent, never mind the joke asking price.
    Some sellers are really deluded. They think bonding a load of fibre glass on a crap car suddenly makes it desirable and worth +10K. Yeah OK lads, you know best. Keep chasing those dreams..

Seweryn wrote: »

I wonder if he is mates with the yellow Ferrari 355/MR2 seller on Donedeal.
    Kindred spirits.
    The thing is, 12K would buy one a real 911; so why would anyone want a fake?
    It just screams, I am a dick. Yes, I spent 12K on this crap car.
    But its true what they say; a fool and his money are easily parted.

So its a beetle then... :)

TigerTim wrote: »
    Strange it hasn't sold. Ad has 2,364 views. Surely someone must have gone & seen the car at this stage.

T.

I think there are two main negative factors here; the fact its post '87 so full fast tax at 636 Euro per year. And its not a GTI. For even money one could buy a MK1 convertible, even on an '87 plate. So its more bang for buck really.
    The funny thing is, MK1's are very desirable, but the convertible always less so.
    I suppose the Irish weather is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

You won't get much of a 911 for 12 grand today, 7/8 years ago maybe but not today.

The one above is a 1973 Beetle

I wonder if he is mates with the yellow Ferrari 355/MR2 seller on Donedeal.
    Kindred spirits.
    The thing is, 12K would buy one a real 911; so why would anyone want a fake?
    It just screams, I am a dick. Yes, I spent 12K on this crap car.
    But its true what they say; a fool and his money are easily parted.

Its the fake car paradox.

Anyone who might care, knows its a fake. Those who don't, don't care.

hi5 wrote: »
    You won't get much of a 911 for 12 grand today, 7/8 years ago maybe but not today.

996's regularly come up on Ebay for under 12K. Carrera's from the late '70's to early '80's can be bought from 10K. Granted there aren't so many as 996's but they are available under 12K. Agree Porsche's went through a Celtic Tiger bubble, but that has now peaked. These days its W124 Mercedes, E30 BMW, and MK2 Golf's, that are peaking. '87 means many of those cars are now coming into vintage tax and VRT; and that means the market is hungry for them.

Its the fake car paradox.

Anyone who might care, knows its a fake. Those who don't, don't care.

You speak the truth here. Personally I would be ashamed to be seen or own a fake car/replica. Its like owning a Golf CL and sticking a GTI badge on it etc.
    Mind you, men are creatures of habit; and I have seen loads of M-badged BMW's and AMG badged Mercedes over the years.
    In Germany they tend to go the other way, with most AMG owners ordering the cars with no boot badges. No need to advertise one has an E55 etc, as its obvious its not an E200 etc.
    The other problem is this. When I owned a Sierra RS Cosworth I had every boyracer up my arse wanting to race me every single day. They saw the Cosworth badge and got a hard on, and wanted to overtake it at all costs to be able to tell all their mates down the pub they nailed a Cossie in their Clio etc.
    Young men, full balls that need emptying, and modified/fake cars.
    The funny thing is, the cycle repeats ad infinitum.

I like the look of this one. August '86 so vintage tax and VRT.
    I had an '88 500SEL years ago and they are a lovely smooth car to drive.
    Price seems reasonable enough for the mileage.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/500-sel/14004393

• Advertisement

So its a beetle then... :)

I am quite sure it is not based on a Beetle. But there are not enough details there to tell me for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I am quite sure it is not based on a Beetle. But there are not enough details there to tell me for sure...

Well the plates are off a 1967 Beetle..... That's why I asked. :)

Well the owner is quite sure it is.
    That is good enough for me.
    The engine in the boot makes it obvious anyway. Nothing unusual to see a Golf or Porsche engine in a Beetle really, its been done many times.

DakarVert wrote: »
    Well the plates are off a 1967 Beetle..... That's why I asked. :)
    Oh,... right. I did not go that route to check it. Interesting :).

The Beetle to 911 replicas are as common as MR2 to Ferrari 355 ones.
    They never look right. Bonding fibre glass to a crap car never does.
    I suppose these lads got their inspiration sticking the pages together of Max Power magazines project cars.
    http://www.carscoops.com/2007/08/porsche-911-replica-based-on-vw-beetle.html

On the subject of classics ruined by fibreglass bodykits, here is another one.
    I honestly think people that do this to a vintage E30 should be sterilised so they cannot breed.
    Had he kept it an original '87 325i convertible it would be worth more.
    Ironically he has now made it unsellable and cost himself thousands in the process.
    E30 M3's were left hand drive for starters. Who wants a 325i made into an M3 replica anyway?
    4805 views in 51 days and its still for sale. Wonder if the penny has dropped with him yet?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325-e30-manual-convertible-m3-body-1987/13507699

• Advertisement

The Beetle to 911 replicas are as common as MR2 to Ferrari 355 ones.
    They never look right. Bonding fibre glass to a crap car never does.

A Fake car is ****e for sure, but just to make things clear - Beetle is not a crap car. Unless you mean something else, you have a chance to clarify ;).

I like the look of this one. August '86 so vintage tax and VRT.
    I had an '88 500SEL years ago and they are a lovely smooth car to drive.
    Price seems reasonable enough for the mileage.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/500-sel/14004393

Cannot understand why people selling cars like that (eligible for classic VRT) don't just go and do it.

Cannot understand why people selling cars like that (eligible for classic VRT) don't just go and do it.

Agreed. 200 Euro VRT and 56 Euro tax. So for a total of 256 Euro one now has a more desirable car. Buyers like to see that taken care of by the owner, and will pay more for it. I mean say he had done this, he could be asking say 4500-5000 Euro for the same car. Its just laziness on the sellers part. Or of course the other reason is, he has been a naughty boy and imported the car before it turned 30 in August '86; and therefore trying to avoid the 720 Euro VRT he owes.

A Fake car is ****e for sure, but just to make things clear - Beetle is not a crap car. Unless you mean something else, you have a chance to clarify ;).

I will take you up on your generous offer of a chance for me to clarify.
    My point is probably obvious to most, but I will break it down to a level you might be able to understand.
    People that create replica cars don't start off with a decent example of the original. They always start off with a crap car. Something rotten, rusty, crashed, needing bodywork, etc. Reason being, no one is going to buy that classic in its current state of donor car or breaker. So they think, I will bond a fibreglass bodykit and no one will ever know how crap the car looked.
    We all know Beetles are a good classic. Its a mute point. But no one would ever convert a good one into a Porsche replica. But a crap one, yes they would.
    Hence me saying; bonding fibre glass to a crap car..
    Now do you get it crystal clear?
    Mind you, you were quite sure it wasn't based on a Beetle though weren't you..
    So now you stand corrected on 2 out of 2 points.
    Maybe 3 points and we will give you a prize eh?

Here is another 12K Celtic Tiger dreamer.
    In fairness to him, the car is one of the better MR2-355 replicas I have seen.
    The 9 digit reg doesn't do it any favours though.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ferrari-f355-berlinetta-replica/13695565

• Advertisement
Advertisement