Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

DakarVert wrote: »

This gentleman is a regular on DD, quite often oddball stuff and half finished projects like this , I recall a trike and an off-road buggy among other abandoned sh:te, em, I mean jobs..:). Still, I suppose he must get to move them as he keeps coming up with new ways to impress..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Not going to lie...I really like that. Or the idea rather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Class! Reminds me of the 100% electric Porsche 928 in the US :)

225Ah though, that's about 10kWh? Not an awful lot to go around. I'd be surprised if the range would be a lot more than about 20-30km

Still, the asking price seems very reasonable. Wonder would getting insurance be a nightmare?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

this sort of belongs to the I can't believe I didnt buy this thread - but I know there is the motherload of issues coming with this

ad doesn't say much which says a lot, but we do dream !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

RobAMerc wrote: »
    this sort of belongs to the I can't believe I didnt buy this thread - but I know there is the motherload of issues coming with this

ad doesn't say much which says a lot, but we do dream !

Bills worth £10k in 4 years, and only one is a service!! You would be budgeting about 250 euro a month into a fund to cover possible bills. Go into it with that mindset and you would be grand.

But you would need to pay bigger money for a better example. A tatty Bentley will look like any other tatty car. But a clean good one will be depreciation free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Quite a decent looking Super Minx for a reasonable sum of €2200
    MmM5MmIxMzZhNDVlZjZlYzU3ODA5ZGMwYWEyYTQwNjDOlxwDBhuIEyqXUiMVelD8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjI4MDAxM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1966-hillman-super-minx/12301379

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What kind of speeds could you expect in a motor like that? Looks in very good condition with very low mileage for the age.

cormie wrote: »
    What kind of speeds could you expect in a motor like that? Looks in very good condition with very low mileage for the age.

I've only ever driven the less powerful mkII with the 1.6l engine which is capable enough which can comfortably cruise at around 55-60mph, the speedometer read a little high though. They are a really nice starter classic though and parts are readily available at cheap prices from the UK still.
    A Humber Sceptre would be nicer still though.

• Advertisement

Maybe too good to be true at first glance, jap import NCT'd CRX in what seems to be good condition for a very reasonable price of €3,150. He has the mileage down as 65000kms but corrects himself in the man body.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1991-honda-crx-1-5cc-nct-tax/12000520
    ZWJlYTJjMDgwZjkwMWQyMjgwMmYwNzk1M2QyNDQ2ZDhVI8Ncxc8ta9Co8Nb6pjnGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDczNjc2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe too good to be true at first glance, jap import NCT'd CRX in what seems to be good condition for a very reasonable price of €3,150. He has the mileage down as 65000kms but corrects himself in the man body.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1991-honda-crx-1-5cc-nct-tax/12000520
    ZWJlYTJjMDgwZjkwMWQyMjgwMmYwNzk1M2QyNDQ2ZDhVI8Ncxc8ta9Co8Nb6pjnGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDczNjc2Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    65K miles is 104K km, not 137K or 134K (both mentioned in ad text). 137K km is 85+K miles...

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

these can hide the years and mileage extremely well and as an import unless it comes with the Japanese auction report/export documents then you can near guarantee the milage is "inventive". Not by the current owner or seller BTW, I mean at the first point of contact with the Irish Jap import industry back in the day. They were pretty much always rolled back.

That said, so long as the car looks good, these things are bulletproof and still pretty handy in standard spec. The big thing is rust. If it has the tin worm, brace yourself for bills. Large ones if done correctly. The usual HOnda of this era trouble spots; wheel arches, but particularly rear, were the engine bulkhead meets the floorpan, bottom of doors, sills, roof.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually when I looked at the Classic Honda section there were a couple of nice ones. This little 83 Civic caught my eye.

ZGFiODVmZjE5M2U1YzBiODc4NzExYTI2NTUzMzVhNmNuhW0fv1NxrdIIzlJNJtMOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjIwODA3N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

OK not nearly as glam or fast or any of that as the Rex, but cute as hell and in fantastic time capsule condition. The 93 Prelude with only 17,000 miles on the clock and an original Irish car to boot looked good too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The Hondas are great. There is another CRX in blue. Not sure if worth looking, but does not look bad and is probably original.

That Prelude is a lovely find. I saw this one advertised some time ago. Unfortunately our anti-car insurance and tax makes it a tough choice for heroes.
    They drive really nicely. I have the second generation one with a manual gearbox and like it a lot.

Seweryn wrote: »
    That Prelude is a lovely find. I saw this one advertised some time ago. Unfortunately our anti-car insurance and tax makes it a tough choice for heroes.
    They're a lovely car to drive alright. Very reliable too. Goes for many Japanese cars of that general era, real problems with rust and the lack of security built in their biggest issues.

The insurance on the Lude would likely make you wince. A lot. And then cry. What I have to pay for a 98 Honda makes me murderous and bloody angry. They really don't want those cars on the road. You can see that reflected in the different values between here and our neighbours in the UK. Such cars are nearly always noticeably cheaper here(and a fair number have made the trip across the Irish sea on the back of that).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

How about an 8 wheel drive truck that only has 6 wheels? Well, 7 including the steering wheel, maybe the spare counts as the 8th?!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hino-300-series-thorny-croft-truck/6131626

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would you need to get them through the DOE before being road legal? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

cormie wrote: »
    Would you need to get them through the DOE before being road legal? :eek:

All commercials need a DOE. Majority don't bother though.... One of those Irish things, Twill be grand sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Twill be grand sure.

...until they have a traffic accident :rolleyes:

Then...

stock-illustration-11852700-hits-the-fan.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

Why would you take photos of a black car in the dark??

I can think of a few reasons but could it be that the seller doesn't want you to actually see the car all that well! :D

OTRiN2M2NmVmNmM4NDllOWFlNzhmOGFjNjQzMzM2M2ThEeKY9pqIC-l6TjhUtTjnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjYzNzU2N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/pontiac-firebird/12370993

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/new-renault-19-only-96-miles/12441703

Here's a very unusual one. There must be a good story behind this!

Parked for 20 odd years and he drove it home 8 miles??

Brave man! I'd have pushed it onto a trailer and at least changed the oil first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/new-renault-19-only-96-miles/12441703

Here's a very unusual one. There must be a good story behind this!

Now I'm not 100% sure on this one, so don't shoot me down, but the fact that it's never been registered before - at all - could have serious repercussions for anybody who buys that car. There are E.U. regulations surrounding safety and emissions regarding deadlines on when vehicles can be registered. Vehicles which are manufactured after a specific date must meet those regulations or they're not allowed to be registered in the E.U. If this vehicle was never before registered in any E.U. jurisdiction then I seriously doubt it'll ever be allowed on the road now at all. If it had already been registered then that's fine but because its never been legally registered anywhere before its technically a new car and it sure as hell doesn't meet any of todays current legislation too allow it to be registered.

Not sure about here, But prove its age in the UK and it'll get an age related plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Not sure about here, But prove its age in the UK and it'll get an age related plate.

You see I don't think so because its not a used vehicle, its a new vehicle which has never been registered before. That's the problem, the year of manufacture is irrelevant. Its the date of first registration which determines the cars date of birth. This car for all intents and purposes is a brand new car. It wouldn't even meet Euro I regs nevermind todays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

There's something very peculiar about having a car in storage without it ever being registered. Only distributors or dealers (with TAN numbers in the south) are allowed to do this. The vehicle must have been sold by a dealer at some point. Was the car a training vehicle with no intention of ever being used on the public roads. Such cars do exist and never see out side of the mine shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If they cannot definitely 100 per cent prove what year it is it'll get a Q plate

Now I'm not 100% sure on this one, so don't shoot me down, but the fact that it's never been registered before - at all - could have serious repercussions for anybody who buys that car. There are E.U. regulations surrounding safety and emissions regarding deadlines on when vehicles can be registered. Vehicles which are manufactured after a specific date must meet those regulations or they're not allowed to be registered in the E.U. If this vehicle was never before registered in any E.U. jurisdiction then I seriously doubt it'll ever be allowed on the road now at all. If it had already been registered then that's fine but because its never been legally registered anywhere before its technically a new car and it sure as hell doesn't meet any of todays current legislation too allow it to be registered.

Log book 'restorations' were invented to deal with bureaucratic nonsense such as this. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

Log book 'restorations' were invented to deal with bureaucratic nonsense such as this. ;)

please explain what this mean, 'a Friend of mine' is in a very similiar situation with a 2000 reg car sat in a garage for last 16yrs unregistered. delivery milage & plastic on the seat (MG TF). it was never registered or duty paid. Long story. i see plenty of them for sale now for small money & think that this car will never really be a very desirable. classic. if it was an Mx5 would be a very different story

• Advertisement

^ Tongue in cheek reference to a common fraud here with classic cars. Not meant seriously.

I'd say your friends MG will be infinitely more valuable if it remains unregistered.

As for registering it, I'd say you would have no hassle - contact revenue and explain the situation and see what they say. I'm pretty certain that its original type approval is still valid. But I'd wager that you will be paying VRT based on the original list price - which might not be a good idea. :mad:

Wrap in a woolly blanket and park it in a dry shed.:) These will be more valuable in years to come - especially a factory fresh example.

Advertisement