Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

tc20 wrote: »
    that was for sale not too long ago, it used to belong to Quenching, who posts here occasionally. IIRC he spent sometime sourcing it from the UK and brought it in from the UK

Actually, I kinda remember it.
    I might pm him as I am considering it.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

cormie wrote: »
    No opinions on that range rover folks? What would be a decent price to pay on it. Just thinking classic tax and no NCT requirement, it could something I'd be interested in, I just have absolutely no clue what it'd be worth.

If I had the space it would interest me too. It would be (relatively!) easy to replace the original parts. Looks like a decent bodyshell...though a closer inspection would be essential. Worth €2500-€3000 as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fivesixtwo

Think it had a price of 20k on it , that was in a previous add,
    However if it was original it would probably be worth a lot more than that in the UK ,

You cant even buy a rusty wreck in the Uk for 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

20K for the rangerover? :eek: Even 2.5-3K was sounding high to me, but I guess it would be wasted on me, I don't care about original anything and just looking for a pre 1980 run around that has the cheap tax and no need for nct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

ah but for that sort of money you can get an 'early Model' 1977 Discovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

cormie wrote: »
    20K for the rangerover? :eek: Even 2.5-3K was sounding high to me, but I guess it would be wasted on me, I don't care about original anything and just looking for a pre 1980 run around that has the cheap tax and no need for nct :pac:

Its like when you go drinking in the park with mates, and you can't decide between bringing the '82 Margeux or the flagon of Frosty Jack. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

There was this brown woody Mercedes benz pick up on donedeal this morning, but it's gone now. 1300 euro, 3 litre petrol automatic.

If I would have few extra grand I would make it look like this:

918849d1398866524-12k-w123-pickup-wazzock-pick-up.jpg

And I would go further... I would raise the rear of the car, put on some proper wide wheels + wide wheel arches, loud side pipes... tinted lights, smoked rear lights. No chrome trim, just all black tyre slaying machine. Manual gearbox and zillion horsepower engine.

Chain steering wheel with pentagram... just a crazy one off hot rod :)

51b6afda7fe4f13a1ea8bc4aa1cffc05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I was with you right up to the steering wheel, that upsidedown pentagram would just bug me everytime i looked at it.

I presume you would have one of those chrome skull gearknobs with the LED eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

No LEDs definitely and I wouldn't want too many skulls...

I would go for a grenade of some sort...

41%2BmsFfSjsL.jpg

or bottle of Jack Daniels

a5fe5900410473e3630e31d47a0345eb.jpg

1972 Staaaaag with proper triumph v8. Looks smart. Asking €10k

YTM1MzI3YmQzNGYyMmVmYjVmNjA5MWY2Y2ZkZDY1ZTaWsMgehylfioB4c5u4AE6-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDkyODI3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

They have the hard top as well. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Diabhalta wrote: »
    No LEDs definitely and I wouldn't want too many skulls...

I would go for a grenade of some sort...

41%2BmsFfSjsL.jpg

or bottle of Jack Daniels

a5fe5900410473e3630e31d47a0345eb.jpg

Best I ever saw was a VW Derby with a Harp Lager beer tap as the gear knob. Genuinely came close to buying the car simply down to how cool it was :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e250-diesel-w124/12049176

W124 manual 250D, NCT'd 'til April 17, leather.
    Seems to be well minded.
    €2500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e250-diesel-w124/12049176

W124 manual 250D, NCT'd 'til April 17, leather.
    Seems to be well minded.
    €2500

Indian assembled, manual 250 diesel. Great cars and good value if they have been looked after in the early years. They can be terrible rust buckets if not! I have seen a few with broken springs and rotten subframes

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

If I was going to pay £15k for a mini pick-up I'd want the door to close properly....http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C731984

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

w124man wrote: »
    Indian assembled, manual 250 diesel. Great cars and good value if they have been looked after in the early years. They can be terrible rust buckets if not! I have seen a few with broken springs and rotten subframes

how can you tell that it was Indian assembled? I think I read somewhere before that the Indian built one were ever so slightly narrower, but I find that hard to believe, so I'm doubting myself already :o
    Also, I'm not too up on the minutiae of W124, but I thought it was the TD models only that had the grill in the wing for cooling?? Perhaps you can enlighten me ;)

looking into that I see they added about 60Kg of reinforcement into the chassis and heavy duty, longer springs to deal with Indian roads. Which means it had at least a fighting chance of dealing with Irish roads.... ;)

Down side was about 20% extra fuel consumption ( weight combined with low compression engine)

A reinforced W124 :confused: It must be unstoppable.

Seller sounds reasonable, and has a set of alloys included in the deal, so dont let hubcaps put you off.

how can you tell that it was Indian assembled?

Simple. The Indian assembled cars went on as kits to mid 1999 although I have seen a few with a 00 reg! They have a raised ride height, aircon and manual, came with an M111 2.2 or am M605 2.5 diesel. Most had no arm rests in the front and some had a sumpguard. An awful lot of them came in Azurite Blue

I think I read somewhere before that the Indian built one were ever so slightly narrower, but I find that hard to believe, so I'm doubting myself already :o

They might be referring to the track but I doubt it.

Also, I'm not too up on the minutiae of W124, but I thought it was the TD models only that had the grill in the wing for cooling?? Perhaps you can enlighten me ;)

No normally aspirated diesel cars came with the wing vents towards the end of the W124's life. The vents on the wing were for the air intake, not cooling. See pic of another E250D

7218601.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

No normally aspirated diesel cars came with the wing vents towards the end of the W124's life. The vents on the wing were for the air intake, not cooling. See pic of another E250D
    Yes and no :).

The grille on the right front wing was in the W124 models with the following engines:
    - OM 602.962 (2.5 Turbodiesel),
    - OM 603.960 (3.0 Turbodiesel),
    - OM 605.911 (2.5 20V Diesel) - as on the photo,
    - OM 606.910 (3.0 24V Diesel).

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yes and no :).

The grille on the right front wing was in the W124 models with the following engines:
    - OM 602.962 (2.5 Turbodiesel),
    - OM 603.960 (3.0 Turbodiesel),
    - OM 605.911 (2.5 20V Diesel) - as on the photo,
    - OM 606.910 (3.0 24V Diesel).

Perhaps I should have said normally aspirated cars also came with the wing vents towards the end of the W124's life. Its what I meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Perhaps I should have said normally aspirated cars also came with the wing vents towards the end of the W124's life. Its what I meant!
    Sure. Sadly, no Turbodiesels were made in RHD. They are nice, and the 2.5 motor was also available with manual box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Are the vents functional?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Are the vents functional?

The air intake is behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Less than 600 miles a year :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The size of the clock they used to put into cars there slap back in front of the driver. Because giving you a more useful tev counter was an extra. There is a 1979 fiat strada review on you tube with noel edmonds for top gear, where this comes up. 'I'm not sure I need to constantly know the time that much!'

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

DakarVert wrote: »

"insure it as a minor" :confused:

"or get it sorted out whatever way they feel happy with themselves", whatever way they feel happy with themselves?? Hah, if only it were so easy! You're at the mercy of the insurance agencies! The hassle I had trying to get cover on my Spitfire that had a Toyota engine replacement (of the same HP and CC!!) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DakarVert wrote: »

I dont think that engineering is that lads strong point.

Advertisement