Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-06-2020, 10:57   #196
Darragh James

Thank you
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 10:58   #197
Darragh James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Giggles View Post
Very few of the courses are solely online, part time courses will still have in person sessions, obviously with Covid 19, going online will be utilised that bit more but each college will be making their own call on that so it's impossible to know how each course will be managed

The entry requirements for each course are different, they are set out in the "more details" tab for each course on the website
Thank you
29-06-2020, 11:02   #198
Darragh James

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibtrix View Post
I did a Springboard course with DCU, a PostGrad Diploma in Mgmt of Operations. They also did Pg Diplomas in Information System Strategy, Mgmt of Clean Technologies, Mgmt for Sustainable Development, Mgmt of Internet Enterprise Systems.
All run completely online except for 1 day at the beginning which was on-site in DCU (a Saturday). There are online tutorials some evenings but they are recorded, so you can watch them in your own time - or ignore them completely if you're happy with the other material.

I found it a very worthwhile course, but it was intensive. 60 credits in a single year is essentially a full-time course, so if you are also working full-time it's a lot of time needed. That said, there were several people on the course who successfully juggled a full-time job, study, and family responsibilities.
Thanks a mill, this is very helpful
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 11:54   #199
Dante7

I was just offered and accepted a place on the online BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management course at Letterkenny Institute of Technology.
(4) thanks from:
29-06-2020, 11:57   #200
CBear1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante7 View Post
I was just offered and accepted a place on the online BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management course at Letterkenny Institute of Technology.
This one caught my eye as well Dante, especially with all the data centres going up around the place, hopefully they last into the future!! I'm in construction so it could tie in well, have you any IT/Computing background? I don't.
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 12:02   #201
Dante7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBear1993 View Post
This one caught my eye as well Dante, especially with all the data centres going up around the place, hopefully they last into the future!! I'm in construction so it could tie in well, have you any IT/Computing background? I don't.
I've worked in IT at a high enough level for 20 years, but never received a thrid level qualification - just industry certs. I'e been out of the workforce for the last few years as I'm a single parent and carer and I'm gearing up to return to work and this course could have been custom made for me.
(3) thanks from:
29-06-2020, 12:05   #202
This is it

Quote:
I've also applied for this, haven't heard anything back yet. 6 years in IT and plenty of hands on experience in datacentres, hoping to hear back soon so I know what's happening.
29-06-2020, 12:07   #203
This is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is it View Post
I've also applied for this, haven't heard anything back yet. 6 years in IT and plenty of hands on experience in datacentres, hoping to hear back soon so I know what's happening.
Scratch that, didn't see the email. I was also accepted
(4) thanks from:
29-06-2020, 12:32   #204
CBear1993

Do you both think you'd need some prior IT/Computing background yeah?

I'm handy enough on technology, QS in construction but never done IT in any shape or form which would put me off being on a course alongside the likes of yourselves!!
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 12:36   #205
py

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBear1993 View Post
Do you both think you'd need some prior IT/Computing background yeah?

I'm handy enough on technology, QS in construction but never done IT in any shape or form which would put me off being on a course alongside the likes of yourselves!!
It depends on the level of the course. If it's going to be a Level 6/7/8 then I'd imagine no prior experience is required. For Level 9, whilst you wouldn't need a Level 6/7/8 behind you, you would definitely need a good chunk of work experience.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 13:35   #206
This is it

I think you'll need some basic understanding of computing and data centres for the specific course we were talking about. From the LYIT page

"The objective of the course is to guide learners who have general experience in and knowledge of technical computing and augment their skills and knowledge in readiness to begin a career in Data Centre Management."

I don't think you need to be in any way an expert, but as I said, basic understanding.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 14:03   #207
zweton

Quote:
What sort of job would be inline with a qualification like this?

Is it the first year its being run?
29-06-2020, 15:15   #208
the whole year inn

Quote:
Have you a link to this please.
29-06-2020, 15:26   #209
This is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by the whole year inn View Post
Have you a link to this please.
https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8177
29-06-2020, 15:53   #210
the whole year inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is it View Post
Thanks.

I'd be interested in this, I have a level 8 in IT and currently working .

Any one have an idea of the modules being taught?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion