Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

After 17 years I will be going back to college to do a HDip Level 8. My Degree kind of limits me to what courses I can do on the SpringBoard list.

Covid has completely interrupted my work so I’ll be going back studying full time.

I’m nervous about studying again but I can’t pass up the opportunity as I wouldn’t have the money to pay the full amount.

Thanks OP and if this one goes well then I might do another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

After 17 years I will be going back to college to do a HDip Level 8. My Degree kind of limits me to what courses I can do on the SpringBoard list.

Covid has completely interrupted my work so I’ll be going back studying full time.

I’m nervous about studying again but I can’t pass up the opportunity as I wouldn’t have the money to pay the full amount.

The whole point of springboard is that you can Re-skill into a different field. Your not limited to doing something that relates to your initial degree.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    The whole point of springboard is that you can Re-skill into a different field. Your not limited to doing something that relates to your initial degree.

The other colleges I applied to didn’t seem to accept my degree and or work experience and letter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

I do think that there should be a review of the system. Something like a series of rounds with deadlines for offering/accepting courses. Having the deadlines on a course by course basis does neither the college or the potential student any favours when it comes to planning. Though perhaps with everyone in 3rd level working from home, it has altered the way it's usually handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

py wrote: »
    I do think that there should be a review of the system. Something like a series of rounds with deadlines for offering/accepting courses. Having the deadlines on a course by course basis does neither the college or the potential student any favours when it comes to planning. Though perhaps with everyone in 3rd level working from home, it has altered the way it's usually handled.

My understanding from talking to others is this is the way it has always been handled

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Your initial degree has NOTHING to do what you're doing on Springboard, you've a degree and 17 years experience, you'd be a MASSIVE addition to any course you apply for

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my experience what happens is loads of people apply for the courses when they are released, then applications are sorted and sent out to people. Then people get the applications and think "oh **** I don't have the time, didn't think I'd be accepted, I don't want to do that course", then they reject the application, then it goes to round 2, rinse and repeat for a few rounds.

Last course I did had 24 places accepted but only 8 people actually did the course.

Clareman wrote: »
    Your initial degree has NOTHING to do what you're doing on Springboard, you've a degree and 17 years experience, you'd be a MASSIVE addition to any course you apply for

Thank you but the other courses I applied for didn’t seem to think my degree suited. I applied for a Masters but because I was missing one particular area of skill level I wasn’t accepted.

I’m not mathematical so I didn’t apply for any of that type of course. I didn’t really have anyone to ask only the colleges and tutors who said that some specific skills/experience are needed for certain courses.

To be honest I’m happy enough as this course will kind of hopefully ease me back into study and I can look into other courses as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Vetch wrote: »
    I have two applications in with NUIG. They've both been downloaded a gazillion times. Would love to know what they're doing with them.

mine also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Kiith wrote: »
    I accepted the Post Grad in Cyber Security in Letterkenny yesterday. It's entirely online based, and i got some more info from the Springboard contact, so looking forward to starting that soon.

Congrats! Doing the same. Have you heard anything from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Burgo wrote: »
    Congrats! Doing the same. Have you heard anything from them?

Yeah I'm the same as well, haven't heard any more from them since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Thanks, did you chase them or was it a random email?

I emailed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

I went back to do a level 8 a few years ago, trust me, the fear is worse than the reality. What mature students dont seem to account for is how much life experience plays in learning. All our group were older, we all had the same fears initially. Got accepted for a masters through springboard this year and whilst im nervous, i know that it is doable. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭moneymaid

Can anyone tell me how long does it take to hear back from Springboard/ University regarding an application?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,172 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

moneymaid wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long does it take to hear back from Springboard/ University regarding an application?

Varies depending on course/college. Some received offers within days some have been waiting a month without any contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

onrail wrote: »
    Also weighing up the Data Analytics in Maynooth Vs NUI.

Any idea of the timetable specifics for the Maynooth course? I see that 15-30 hours per week is mentioned, but is this likely to be during evenings/Weekends?

I was looking at NUIG as well.

The fact that Maynooth are operating the HDip out of the Geocomputation Department meaning that a lot of the analytics will involve GIS is what sold me tbh.

It's definitely going to be a ballache of a course to get through because they are packing a lot in but tbh, I would rather that and improve my skill set than just grabbing a piece of paper which is what NCI feels like to me based on some testimonials.

Timetables have not been released yet, but to be fair to the faculty they have been great with the communication when I've asked any questions.

This is the last contact they sent out to all students last week:

523497.JPG

---

What I would suggest to you would be to go through the module listings for any courses you are interested in, to get a feel of what sort of academic demand is there.

kilburn wrote: »
    Anyone know the level of programming etc that would be expected for a Masters in Data Science

Pretty high I would say. Think about what the Masters is vs what a BSc or HDip are?

But you're best to check the college website and module listings for better guidance and email the department involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You’re wrong there. Some courses have specific entry requirements.

The other colleges I applied to didn’t seem to accept my degree and or work experience and letter of interest.

It really depends on the individual circumstance though. It's hard to know without knowing your full details.

Eg. I was not considered eligible for a Masters in Data Science in Carlow despite being "qualified" based on their criteria.

I inquired and essentially their were others ahead who were more qualified. C'est la vie. But now when I do this HDip and if I apply for the MSc next year, I will no doubt get accepted.

17 years experience in Retail Management for example and then going to MSc in Computer Science is doomed to failure in most cases. The colleges would encourage you to to do a level 8 HDip etc and work your way up.

You can't expect to just change career trajectory "just like that".

The system is set up to encourage us to change but that doesn't mean shortcuts should be taken.

I don't see how they could do that given the time sensitive nature of everyone's lives. I don;t want to be waiting around til September to be told I got my 4th choice and th colleges want to box off these places ASAP.

It's not like the CAO when EVERYONE is in the same generic boat more or less. There's a sense of responsibility on you to research and make sure you're choosing the right courses rather then the scattergun approach of applying for everything and anything. And with the fact that these are low-cost/free, it's doubly important that the drop out rate is miniscule.
    In my experience what happens is loads of people apply for the courses when they are released, then applications are sorted and sent out to people. Then people get the applications and think "oh **** I don't have the time, didn't think I'd be accepted, I don't want to do that course", then they reject the application, then it goes to round 2, rinse and repeat for a few rounds.

Last course I did had 24 places accepted but only 8 people actually did the course.

^^^EXACTLY THIS^^^

Is there a whiff off government funding the colleges here? 60 credit courses being done in a year by folk working full time? 90% government funded.......

• Advertisement

I went back to do a level 8 a few years ago, trust me, the fear is worse than the reality. What mature students dont seem to account for is how much life experience plays in learning. All our group were older, we all had the same fears initially. Got accepted for a masters through springboard this year and whilst im nervous, i know that it is doable. Best of luck with it!

Thanks Chicken Foot - that has definitely made me feel better about it.

I always wanted to study more and eventually get a Masters but I just needed the push as I got a bit to comfortable in life. Maybe there is life in the old dog yet ;-)

Congratulations on your studies and best of luck with the Masters.

Augeo wrote: »
    Is there a whiff off government funding the colleges here? 60 credit courses being done in a year by folk working full time? 90% government funded.......

Whiff?

Springboard is literally a scheme from the State to enable people to change the track of their career to do something else that is also in a field that we need people in. You'll note the lack of "Arts" courses.

It's quite easy to pack a course into a year though.

If you go on the very basic idea of contact time.

Tuesday 1800-2200, Thursday 1800-2200 and Saturday 0900-1700 would easily get you a solid 16hr bloc.

I don't understand why you think there's something nefarious going on. It's best you look at the module listings if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

Anyone on a reserve list? Just got an email that I'm reserve for a UL course. Have to say im so disappointed as I applied for two courses but this is the one I really wanted. Would there be any harm in replying to say I'm disappointed not to get it and am available to start asap.
    The course is due to start next Mon so unlikely to get a spot.
    Oh well.

.............. a solid 16hr bloc.

I don't understand why you think there's something nefarious going on. It's best you look at the module listings if I were you.

No need to get so p1ssy about it.
    There are courses described as full time that folk working full time are doing.

No need to get so p1ssy about it.
    There are courses described as full time that folk working full time are doing.

I'm not getting pissy. I'm giving you the facts.

You're the one who came into the thread with your "whiff" of conspiracy.

FT courses are so called because of contact hours. Whenever those hours happen is irrelevant.

I was talking to CCT for example and they have organised their FT courses in such a way that those in employment can do them without too much hassle.

I'm not getting pissy. I'm giving you the facts.

You're the one who came into the thread with your "whiff" of conspiracy.............

It was a query, and you resorted to a slight against other courses ..........
    ...You'll note the lack of "Arts" courses....

It's widely accepted there are bums on seat courses in many 3rd level colleges (Folk not up to mech eng can do a degree in manufacturing technology etc etc for example.)so to suspect that the Springboard options don't include some to get the cash in isn't a conspiracy theory IMO.

It was a query, and you resorted to a slight against other courses ..........

It's widely accepted there are bums on seat courses in many 3rd level colleges (Folk not up to mech eng can do a degree in manufacturing technology etc etc for example.)so to suspect that the Springboard options don't include some to get the cash in isn't a conspiracy theory IMO.

Right, so you're just gonna be miffed that I apparently slighted courses that are not part of a scheme that is solely concerned about upskilling people in areas that we need to have more expertise in?

I don't get why you have a "whiff" to "suspect" anything about Springboard.

The scheme literally has these logos on the header:

partner-logos-2.png

Right, so you're just gonna be miffed that I apparently slighted courses that are not part of a scheme that is solely concerned about upskilling people in areas that we need to have more expertise in?

I don't get why you have a "whiff" to "suspect" anything about Springboard.

The scheme literally has these logos on the header:

partner-logos-2.png

I'm not miffed at all, iirc it was you who was getting p1ssy. An Arts qualification is measured on the same ladder as these Springboards courses, presumably you know that :)

OMG at the logos........... it's 90 to 100% government funded so that's no surprise.

I'm not miffed at all, iirc it was you who was getting p1ssy. An Arts qualification is measured on the same ladder as these Springboards courses, presumably you know that :)

You literally don't seem to get at all what I'm getting at all. No more than you get what "whiff" is.

Best just to leave it if you think my initial response was a slight on someone who did Geography and Spanish in UCD.

Sheesh.

• Advertisement

Best just to leave it if you think my initial response was a slight on someone who did Geography and Spanish in UCD.

Sheesh.

Ah God love you, there's a bit of an inferiority complex going on also :pac:

Advertisement