Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

FrDougal wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

In December 2018, I was advised by a course provider that Springboard will only pay your fee for an additional course if the NFQ level of that course is greater than that of the course that you previously attended.

If you wish to do multiple courses for free, you will need to complete them in ascending order of NFQ level.

(The NFQ level is listed in the bottom left hand corner of course description. Advise is as of December 2018. I am late to join this thread. Apologies if already covered)

The course provider who told you that was mistaken.

https://springboardcourses.ie/pdfs/Guidelines%20on%20applications%20from%20previous%20Springboard%20participants%202020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

It may have changed since 2014 but it was the case back then that you must be moving up a level, not completing the same or a lower level on the NFQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

I agree, best thing I have every done, hard work for 1 year, Higher Diploma, great job at the the end because of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

manor wrote: »
    I agree, best thing I have every done, hard work for 1 year, Higher Diploma, great job at the the end because of it

What did you do it in? Was it a new field to you?

Part time or full time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Anyone competed -

L9 Postgraduate Certificate in BIM and Lean Construction Management through IT Sligo (1 year)
    https://www.itsligo.ie/courses/certificate-bim-lean-construction-management-online/

OR

L9 Postgraduate Certificate in BIM Technologies through TU Dublin (1 year)
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8270

??

I've applied for the L8 BIM in AIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭sugarman20

Does anyone know if your are on the Covid-19 emergency payment what proof can you provide? They are asking for proof of eligibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

sugarman20 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if your are on the Covid-19 emergency payment what proof can you provide? They are asking for proof of eligibility.

This is what I'm stuck on.

I should be getting my first payment tomorrow and I can order a payment statement online on the mywelfare website. Another poster has said nothing showed up on their payment statement for a month though, so not sure what to use if nothing shows up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is it wrote: »
    It may have changed since 2014 but it was the case back then that you must be moving up a level, not completing the same or a lower level on the NFQ.

Am I reading that right in that if I did a masters previously through springboard for example, I can't do a lower level diploma through it now but it's fine if I did a masters outside of springboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I don't think that is the case anymore.

If you get a major award at level 8, you are supposed to leave a year gap before you do a level 9 course.

I don't see anything in the current rules about not being able to go down a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Am I reading that right in that if I did a masters previously through springboard for example, I can't do a lower level diploma through it now but it's fine if I did a masters outside of springboard?

It was the case in 2014, not sure about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

do you reckon its too late to apply for any of these courses? i was hit with this mysterious virus last week. affected my lungs and made me feel weak. freaky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

do you reckon its too late to apply for any of these courses? i was hit with this mysterious virus last week. affected my lungs and made me feel weak. freaky.

You're not too late. Different colleges have different closing dates for applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

I got offered a place on one course I applied to but it wouldn't be my first choice. I have to accept within 7 days. If I accept that course do my other applications just get cancelled? I'm worried I could miss out altogether now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The private colleges are always fast to offer so that they soak up all the demand. I'd hold off if I were you for the course you want. Accepting a course will cancel all your other applications I think. IIRC that's what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Illium wrote: »
    Has anybody done a course with Innopharma education? Just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

im doing a lvl 8 with them at the moment. Highly recommend . They are very good to deal with and the course is good and relevant to the industry.

Are you new to the industry doing this level 8?

I’m worried about taking on one as I have no pharma background, I’m in construction.

Have they guaranteed or indicated what sort of role you will be in or able to apply to at the end of it Spanner Monkey?

I don’t really want to go and do a degree to just become an operator or a shift worker in a pharma lab / factory to be part of the production line / process at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uvex

I’m worried about taking on one as I have no pharma background, I’m in construction.

Have they guaranteed or indicated what sort of role you will be in or able to apply to at the end of it Spanner Monkey?

I don’t really want to go and do a degree to just become an operator or a shift worker in a pharma lab / factory to be part of the production line / process at the end of it.

If you get into the right factory you will be on 100k plus on the production line. But if its job satisfaction you are looking for then that's fair enough if you don't want to go that route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

im doing a lvl 8 with them at the moment. Highly recommend . They are very good to deal with and the course is good and relevant to the industry.

Which course are you doing if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

The degree doesn't rubber stamp where you end up, it guarantees you nothing, after getting a degree of any sort it's entirely down to the individual where they go and what they do with it after that.

Colleges are not responsible for what a person does on completion of a degree, they have done their bit in providing and teaching the course material.

Esse85 wrote: »
    The degree doesn't rubber stamp where you end up, it guarantees you nothing, after getting a degree of any sort it's entirely down to the individual where they go and what they do with it after that.

Colleges are not responsible for what a person does on completion of a degree, they have done their bit in providing and teaching the course material.

Yeah they are supposed to state career options though and provide examples of typical entry routes after completion, that’s all I’m saying.

Anybody wants a job they have to go get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yeah they are supposed to state career options though and provide examples of typical entry routes after completion, that’s all I’m saying.

Anybody wants a job they have to go get it

Can't you research the course yourself and see what route people go down? If you were interested enough you would, but it seems you don't know what you want to do and your hoping something will fall in your lap and you'll hit the jackpot.
    That's what your recent posts suggest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Tbh I don't think many of these courses being ran by springboard are going to get you into any jobs that aren't entry level.

Is your undergrad in Science? If not you will struggle in my opinion. Another thing I've seen is people that have never done some type of work placement really struggle to get into roles within the Biopharma sector.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Can't you research the course yourself and see what route people go down? If you were interested enough you would, but it seems you don't know what you want to do and your hoping something will fall in your lap and you'll hit the jackpot.
    That's what your recent posts suggest to me.

I have, and I will continue to do so. I exhaust all resources when I am trying to find out about something, which I am doing now, is that ok with you, thread police? Hope you enjoyed your snoop through my posts :)

This thread was full of very helpful, positive people with good stories to tell, in fact a lot have been helpful through DM, a younger lad turned to me for advice in construction and going abroad.

I don’t see any helpfulness from your input, bring it onto another thread, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Ive worked for 3 pharma companies over the last 20 years so im not new to the industry, but i came from a trade backround too. Its not easy but if you put in a bit of effort its not bad

The course im doing is level 8 Higher diploma in Biopharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing.
    Main reason im doing it is to gain knowledge about biopharma and med device as ive never worked in these industries

No course or company will guarantee you a job purely based on a course . All it gives you is an edge. And i wouldnt knock shift operator roles they can be on 100k a year and most these days that i have worked with have honours degrees or masters.

Overall though Innopharma have been good to deal with. We had a few minor issues when covid hit but so did every college. They adapted well and things continued as normal. Id have no hesitation doing another course with them . Its all done through TUD ( formally DIT) now the tests are set by them and the labs are there.

Hi,

I'm currently looking at doing a course in IT through springboard but I'm unsure what I should be looking for with regards modules and skills within the courses. I suppose I'm an open book with regards what route to take but obviously good career prospects is a positive.

I have tried looking up what differing jobs entail but I haven't found any great resource to help me on that front.
    I do realise I am being very vague but any information or guidance would be appreciated. PM's welcomed also if preferred.

Current position - Work in pharma industry, shift work, great remuneration and benefits, no job satisfaction. Always had a strong aptitude for computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

Uvex wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently looking at doing a course in IT through springboard but I'm unsure what I should be looking for with regards modules and skills within the courses. I suppose I'm an open book with regards what route to take but obviously good career prospects is a positive.

I have tried looking up what differing jobs entail but I haven't found any great resource to help me on that front.
    I do realise I am being very vague but any information or guidance would be appreciated. PM's welcomed also if preferred.

Current position - Work in pharma industry, shift work, great remuneration and benefits, no job satisfaction. Always had a strong aptitude for computers.

There are plent of different careers within IT. Here's 20 of them and there are many more. Really depends on what sort of work you want to do.

py wrote: »
    There are plent of different careers within IT. Here's 20 of them and there are many more. Really depends on what sort of work you want to do.

Thanks. I have looked deeper at the roles that interest me and I think software development is what interests me the most and there seems to be a lot more working with people in that role.

So now to try find the best springboard course for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

Thanks. I have looked deeper at the roles that interest me and I think software development is what interests me the most and there seems to be a lot more working with people in that role.

So now to try find the best springboard course for that.

Apply for them all that are suitable, no guarantee that you will be accepted to any of them. Might be the case that you pick the one that picks you.

The first year that I applied to Springboard I only applied to one of the courses and didn't get it, the next year I applied to 3 and got all 3.

Kamu wrote: »
    Apply for them all that are suitable, no guarantee that you will be accepted to any of them. Might be the case that you pick the one that picks you.

The first year that I applied to Springboard I only applied to one of the courses and didn't get it, the next year I applied to 3 and got all 3.

Thanks for that advice as I was only going to apply for this one.

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8099

Will have another look and will apply to others that may be suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

Thanks for that advice as I was only going to apply for this one.

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8099

Will have another look and will apply to others that may be suitable.

Are you currently working? if you are, then some of those Full-time courses will not accept you and most (if not all) the full time courses will have some aspect of work placement.

If you are not working, then definitely do the full-time.

I heard great things from the Maynooth and the UCD full-time courses, but I believe they are both classroom based.

Advertisement