Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Pimblett was pathetic. He looked bloated, as if he'd had a massive feed of carbs just before the fight - it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he had. He looked terrified from the opening bell and I can't recall him ever throwing a single combo. He also looked gassed after about two minutes. A poor fighter and would get absolutely smoked by pretty much anyone in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    The advertiser comment is weird. Nobody would force them to way more.
    Even if they did, why should Belator or MMA fans care?

It makes perfect sense. In order to increase revenue, as you alluded to, they'd need to up the advertising costs for those timeslots. I don't know about you, but at the minute i don't pay to watch Five or Dave or any of the other channels like that.

As for why should MMA fans care, that's just a complete straw man argument - nobody said anything about the interests of MMA fans, the only commentary was on whether there was any sense in it for Bellator as a business so I've no idea why you're barking up that tree at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,058 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It makes perfect sense. In order to increase revenue, as you alluded to, they'd need to up the advertising costs for those timeslots. I don't know about you, but at the minute i don't pay to watch Five or Dave or any of the other channels like that.
    They should be trying to build the Belator brand, a wider broadcast facilitates that. Whether it not the tv station also decide to increase the ad revenue is irrelevant. That decision doesn't effect Bellator.
    If the ad revenue remains the same Bellator still achieve their goal.
    As for why should MMA fans care, that's just a complete straw man argument - nobody said anything about the interests of MMA fans, the only commentary was on whether there was any sense in it for Bellator as a business so I've no idea why you're barking up that tree at all.
    Yeah, MMA fans talking about Bellator, and what makes sense for them.
    How is Ad revenue at Dave or Five relevant to that?

Yeah, MMA fans talking about Bellator, and what makes sense for them.
    How is Ad revenue at Dave or Five relevant to that?

Why are you continuing to persist with this? Nobody made any comment about ad revenue being relevant to fans. Fans are only interested in being able to see the fights they want to see. Obviously. The more MMA on TV, especially free to air TV, the better. Obviously. Nobody is suggesting anything otherwise.

Why are you continuing to persist with this? Nobody made any comment. about ad revenue being relevant to fans. Fans are only interested in being able to see the fights they want to see. Obviously. The more MMA on TV, especially free to air TV, the better. Obviously. Nobody is suggesting anything otherwise.
    I'm not not talking about it not being relevant to to fans. I'm asking how is it relevant to the discussion, or to anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were the one that brought up the cost for advertisers. I just don't get why that would happen, or why it affects Bellator's decision to air or not.

I just think it's crazy for them to focus only on America, especially when they already have the UK infrastructure, and are now putting on European cards. That's all I'm saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I just think it's crazy for them to focus only on America, especially when they already have the UK infrastructure, and are now putting on European cards. That's all I'm saying

That was my original point. Coker didn't seem to know or care about how Belator is viewed over here or the UK.Surely they should be trying to get their name out by putting it on live.

People will stay up and watch if you put it on. I know I would.If its a day or two later I end up just reading the results.

I'm not not talking about it not being relevant to to fans. I'm asking how is it relevant to the discussion, or to anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were the one that brought up the cost for advertisers. I just don't get why that would happen, or why it affects Bellator's decision to air or not.

You're the one who brought cost into it with sarky comments about the money to made:
    Yeah, minimal money to be made from MMA in the middle of the night.
    They should just continue to cash in the deaf imsomniacs with that person who does the sign language

The money comes from advertising. For there to be more money, the cost of the advertising has to go up. My arguement was that the audience for Bellator with its poor cards in the middle of the night on ****e TV channels wouldn't really appeal to any advertisers. It's not a difficult concept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jus caught the results, Bellator make great highlight/roundup videos to be fair

You're the one who brought cost into it with sarky comments about the money to made:
    You might want to check the post I was replying to there.:confused:
    By investing in more modern options like streaming? There's minimal money to be made for Bellator airing on Five or Dave or the like in the middle of the night.

You brought up money to be made for Belator. Then when how it was pointed out how it made little sense, you switched to advertiser money for some reason.
    The money comes from advertising. For there to be more money, the cost of the advertising has to go up. My arguement was that the audience for Bellator with its poor cards in the middle of the night on ****e TV channels wouldn't really appeal to any advertisers. It's not a difficult concept.
    As I said why does there need to be more money? Whats wrong with maintaining the same income from advertisers?
    Bellator cards might not be breaking viewership records, but there's hardly millions of deaf people getting up to watch the sign language currently. Which was the point. It's not a difficult concept. :rolleyes:

Anyway, going in circles so gonna leave it here. Either the penny drops or you keep digging. Eitherway not much point in continuing this, because its FIGHT WEEK! Whopp whoop whoop..

(awaits AKA injury announcement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

there's hardly millions of deaf people getting up to watch the sign language currently.

Welllllllllllllll... You're kinda right.

There isn't loads of deaf people staying up to watch reruns of topgear with a signer in the corner, but that's not why they air it so late anyway.

It's aired late so deaf people can record it on their DVR boxes and watch it back later. You'll often see 3 episodes of something back to back every night for a week or two so that the entire season can be recorded and watched at the leisure of deaf people who usually have to wait several months for the signed version of a show to be aired.

Either way, there'd be little harm in showing a Bellator card every few weeks and rearranging the schedule around it. Minor inconvenience for people who are using the service but a slight bump in viewership for Spike/Five of a random Friday/Saturday.

• Advertisement

It's aired late so deaf people can record it on their DVR boxes and watch it back later. You'll often see 3 episodes of something back to back every night for a week or two so that the entire season can be recorded and watched at the leisure of deaf people who usually have to wait several months for the signed version of a show to be aired.
    I was being slightly facetious, and I did consider that's why the service was there. Everyone one has record these days.
    However, I honestly feel like those programs have been around years, since before DVR. I suppose you could record in on VHS too.

Either way, there'd be little harm in showing a Bellator card every few weeks and rearranging the schedule around it. Minor inconvenience for people who are using the service but a slight bump in viewership for Spike/Five of a random Friday/Saturday.
    Exactly, the service can still run for the majority of the time. The occasional break for a fight card. Both markets catered to.
    Just feels incredibly lazy to not to even try get a UK/Ireland market going.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Does anyone know when the card for Bamma 30 in the 3 Arena is likely to be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RebelSoul wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the card for Bamma 30 in the 3 Arena is likely to be announced?

Will this be a sole Bamma show or will Bellator be joining them?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

It appears to me from their website that it's a sole event by Bamma. I could be wrong however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Better off that way imo, the bellator part dragged the card down last time around and a lot of the arena had left by the time the king Mo ended.

Anyone heading to the bellator London card? Doesnt seem to be many fights announced yet outside of the 3 on the main card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

qwabercd wrote: »
    Better off that way imo, the bellator part dragged the card down last time around and a lot of the arena had left by the time the king Mo ended.

Anyone heading to the bellator London card? Doesnt seem to be many fights announced yet outside of the 3 on the main card.

yeah, i was falling asleep 15mins before mo came in, and with an hours drive home i just left, production was very poor, lot of waiting around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What time will the bellator london card be on at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads...how da fook did i miss paddy the baddy lost...wtf was i at last weekend i missed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads...how da fook did i miss paddy the baddy lost...wtf was i at last weekend i missed this.

I'm gutted that he lost last weekend ........

.......... because I wanted to see him lose 2 or 3 on the trot in the UFC before he got cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Marcelo has told Danis to take time away from his gym.
    He's obviously not a fan of the act!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

http://www.flocombat.com/article/54704-dillon-danis-suspended-from-bjj-gym-marcelo-garcia-explains#.WPATQ_nyvIU

Full details, pair of them are morons acting like mcgregor when their 2 broke kids glad to see Marcelo ****ed them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamebred wrote: »
    http://www.flocombat.com/article/54704-dillon-danis-suspended-from-bjj-gym-marcelo-garcia-explains#.WPATQ_nyvIU

Full details, pair of them are morons acting like mcgregor when their 2 broke kids glad to see Marcelo ****ed them out.

Danis comes from money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow that's fairly big. I'm not a star wars fan but I see Danis going full dark side with this.

His twitter bio thingy now just says "icon" :(:(

Did everyone see AJ McKees headkick KO?

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/855590331500376064

He called out James Gallagher after it!

Would kick Gallaghers head off, not a hope they get matched even if he gets by Machida, 2 prospects no point in killing one off.

Very nice sub from MacFarlane there

Very nice sub from MacFarlane there

In case you missed it!

https://twitter.com/DavidLCarrion/status/855607554663206914

• Advertisement

Advertisement