Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Holsten wrote: »
    What do you do when you're geared up to the teeth?

Kill people?

If you want a really tense game, you can go around killing people.

If you want a really, really, REALLY tense game, you can go around trusting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

So, basically, it's still the KOS-fest the mod turned into? I was really hoping they'd do something to with the mechanics to give players reason not to turn it into a glorified deathmatch.

Well I've played for about an hour and a half, on a busy enough server. I didn't see anyone, but didn't get shot either.

I plan to give people the benefit of the doubt when I do see them. (Easy to say when you're armed with nothing but a roll of duct tape)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watched some streams lastnight and it was very definitely kill on sight.

Dcully wrote: »
    Watched some streams lastnight and it was very definitely kill on sight.

Were streamers killing on site or being killed on site?

That said, I wouldn't read too much into behaviour at this stage of the game. When there's a full complement of zombies, people may necessarily prefer teaming up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

So, basically, it's still the KOS-fest the mod turned into? I was really hoping they'd do something to with the mechanics to give players reason not to turn it into a glorified deathmatch.

Read what I wrote above, if you kill on sight you will most likely damage of the gear on the player you killed. Rendering it useless. The sooner players realize this fact the sooner it will change from kill on sight.

That being said, the pvp element of DayZ is what made the game. No game gives a rush like DayZ does once you are in a firefight with someone. The fact that the last 3 hours could be lost in a second is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

ktulu123 wrote: »
    It's not shoot on sight any more lads, well if you plan on looting the dead guy it's not. If you shoot a guy you actually damage & ruin all of his gear making it unusable for you. You are now better off robbing people

Stay away from my can opener you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The KOS mentality has been deeply engraved in the community. However the dev's implemented features to try reduce it such as Ktulu mentioned earlier like shooting people will damage equipment on the person shot. Also I think they've made blood bagging alot harder and you require transfusions from other players.

Until the game heavily implements other features and can in some way make the PvE more plausible then people mainly resort to PvP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Read what I wrote above, if you kill on sight you will most likely damage of the gear on the player you killed. Rendering it useless. The sooner players realize this fact the sooner it will change from kill on sight.

I read that but will remain sceptical for now. Either they'll whine until Rocket changes it or, for the short term at least, they won't learn. In either case it's best to wait and see.
    That being said, the pvp element of DayZ is what made the game. No game gives a rush like DayZ does once you are in a firefight with someone. The fact that the last 3 hours could be lost in a second is awesome!
    Having played mostly at the start, I would say it was cooperation that made it or at least what made it among the folks who started playing it. If I want PvP I'll go buy CoD and play deathmatch or some other game mode; I play games like DayZ to work with other people against a common threat where there's novel mechanics to make surviving interesting.

At least I would hope that is what I might do. Taking five steps and being one-shotted by some unseen enemy is not my idea of fun.
    The KOS mentality has been deeply engraved in the community. However the dev's implemented features to try reduce it such as Ktulu mentioned earlier like shooting people will damage equipment on the person shot. Also I think they've made blood bagging alot harder and you require transfusions from other players.

Until the game heavily implements other features and can in some way make the PvE more plausible then people mainly resort to PvP.

Part of the reason the mod went downhill in the latter days. I'll keep an eye to it but for now I'm going to keep waiting for a coop focused survival game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's not shoot on sight any more lads, well if you plan on looting the dead guy it's not. If you shoot a guy you actually damage & ruin all of his gear making it unusable for you. You are now better off robbing people

Just in case I'm missing a joke, is this real?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Yup, your gear gets damaged/ruined when you are shot/take damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

I read that but will remain sceptical for now. Either they'll whine until Rocket changes it or, for the short term at least, they won't learn. In either case it's best to wait and see.

Having played mostly at the start, I would say it was cooperation that made it or at least what made it among the folks who started playing it. If I want PvP I'll go buy CoD and play deathmatch or some other game mode; I play games like DayZ to work with other people against a common threat where there's novel mechanics to make surviving interesting.

At least I would hope that is what I might do. Taking five steps and being one-shotted by some unseen enemy is not my idea of fun.

Part of the reason the mod went downhill in the latter days. I'll keep an eye to it but for now I'm going to keep waiting for a coop focused survival game.

are you serious hahaha ? work like a team against a common goal hahaha . seriously man whats the common threat only other players . join a Teamspeak and work with the guys on it against everyone else , theres your teamwork . you cannot trust randoms , EVER

and PVP is what made the game. as its what 95% of people do , so its not the other 5% of people that made the game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yup, your gear gets damaged/ruined when you are shot/take damage

Awh... not sure I'm cool with that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

are you serious hahaha ? work like a team against a common goal hahaha . seriously man whats the common threat only other players . join a Teamspeak and work with the guys on it against everyone else , theres your teamwork . you cannot trust randoms , EVER

and PVP is what made the game. as its what 95% of people do , so its not the other 5% that made the game

So far on the standalone, I first died to starvation. Couldn't find a damn can opener. Glad you don't need one anymore. Then I died to sickness. Still not sure if it was the rotten orange or dirty water :o Met a lot of players during both them lifes and traded water, food, clothes and we went on our way. Was a nice change.

My third life I did die while unarmed to what sounded like an M4 at a military camp, but there's always gonna be people that spoil the game for people just looking to survive. I disagree that it needs to be kos and no one can be trusted. That's just something you tell yourself to feel better about killing people. Looking forward to more reasons not to kill people in future, it will be interesting to see what Rocket comes up with.

and PVP is what made the game. as its what 95% of people do , so its not the other 5% of people that made the game
    Yes teaming up with people is much better than co-operating with them.

Any style of play except hacking is perfectly fine of course, but my most interesting games have been those ones where you team up with other newly spawned players, join forces and build yourselves up.

I've also been helped out by heavily armed strangers on many occasions, and done the same.

It's good that there are out-and-out bandits too, keeps things interesting, but if you're playing in the shoot-on-sight way, you can't possibly know how other people are playing.

I've had great games in the mod using teamspeak and coordinating with others, but I always get a kick out of starting from scratch on a strange server where I know nobody, and seeing how things play out. Taking risks makes it more fun for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I dont think the KOS PVP will go away, regardless of the damaged gear issue. Once they add in the ability to repair of fix things you are back to square one? Either way I'm really enjoying it, the interface is good, once you get used to it, and the game looks beautiful. 3 patches already, sure they are ahead of BF4 now!

TheFairy wrote: »
    3 patches already, sure they are ahead of BF4 now!
    I know what you mean, I read the last patch notes and thought "flippin hell, they mean business this time!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

This made me smile from the last patch:
    New:
    you can measure whether is a battery fully charged, half charged or empty by licking it

Does this comment from the Steam forums ring true or is it not that bad?
    I agree that having to eat and drink every few minutes is a little much. I was thirsty so a drank a soda. Literally 1 minute later I needed a drink. So 10 minutes later I find a water. Drink that. Grab an orange, eat it. Before I finished the orange I was thirsty again. Put a soda in my pocket, for later. Ate a banana since it wouldn't let me store it. 35 minutes later I'm dying of starvation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looking forward to the mods of mods of mods of this standalone :pac:

Downloaded it last night but will give it a go tonight if I can. Got tired of the DayZ mod from playing it so much but looking forward to this and seeing how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the mods of mods of mods of this standalone :pac:

Downloaded it last night but will give it a go tonight if I can. Got tired of the DayZ mod from playing it so much but looking forward to this and seeing how it works.

Afaik no mod support yet, and it's last on the list of future updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Food and drink is now covered by the latter patch. Look at your character in the Tab screen, if you need food and drink its there. THey are going to patch in force feeding unconcious players, cant wait to forcefeed rotten fruit to my clan mates and laugh as they get even sicker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Quite impressed with the performance. It's a lot smoother than arma. Suppose that's with the cutting out of all the unnecessary dross.

TheFairy wrote: »
    THey are going to patch in force feeding unconcious players, cant wait to forcefeed rotten fruit to my clan mates and laugh as they get even sicker!!!

If it's going to be a proper simulation, you should be able to force feed them their ammo and shoes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Good loot on the server was just on, Khaki pants, body armor, ballistic helmet and.... a clown mask! :P

Managed to get hold of a .45 USP as well so no more fist punching for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Since my character was removed I have experienced a lot of fresh spawn killers at Balota and Cherno. Very frustrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

stannis wrote: »
    I got ARMA II a few days ago (to go with my shiny new laptop) and I'm greatly enjoying it. A definite improvement on the first ARMA and a worthy successor to the superb Operation Flashpoint. Haven't gotten around to playing the DayZ mod yet - why all the hype around it? Aren't zombies totally cliched by now? My eyes glaze over (rather like a zombie) when I see yet another "zombie-mode" added to a game. Or is there something special about which makes it worth playing?

No matter what way you play arma2 ,make sure you download the Jsrs sound mod.a must have, makes the game way more immersive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No matter what way you play arma2 ,make sure you download the Jsrs sound mod.a must have, makes the game way more immersive.

Does that work with wasteland?
    I love me some wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

If you have even slightly bad internet, this game is extremely frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

If you have even slightly bad internet, this game is extremely frustrating.

I've only got 3mb and have had no issues on this or arma2, what's going on with yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

With regards to eating and drinking, you need to eat and drink until it says I feel full or something along those lines. Just eating or drinking when it says I'm hungry/thirsty only puts you at just above hungry/thirsty. Also if you can get a saline bag and get someone to give it to you, you'll be able to keep going for ages without eating or drinking.

Advertisement