Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

30-40 years
    The demographics might be there soon but attempting reunification too early would be a mistake imho. Better to wait a few years after a nationalist majority in Stormont and see how the loyalists take to being the minority. Could be nasty for a while.

The upside is that the demographic change is very quick, so there is a possibility that if the nationalist vote goes around 60%, no amount of tactical voting, gerrymandering etc will be able to make a loyalist majority possible. And maybe then both sides might elect adult politicians instead of the polarised dregs of society on both sides now and help make the eventual transition to a UI easier. Maybe. We live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Geuze wrote: »
    Would people be happy to pay the much higher property taxes that people in the UK pay to fund the councils?

For example, 1,200 euro pa LPT instead of the 225 that many people pay.

Also, many people in the UK pay 500 euro pa for water charges.
    No way, we wont pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

30-40 years
    I'd be surprised if it happened in less than 20 years. Ireland is gradually unifying economically/socially anyway which explains why a lot of the more bitter unionists are pro-Brexit.

I'd be surprised if there hasn't been a further shift in the constitution status of Northern Ireland by 2050, but I'm still unsure as to whether it'll be full re-unification, or more baby steps towards it.

IMO working in baby steps to make it seem a natural, inevitable next step instead of a big bang change would be more likely to succeed, but I'm not convinced we have the political leadership (in Govt or opposition parties) to think that strategically about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

30-40 years
    The government has a clear constitutional imperative to work towards a UI but but there's an enormous amount of preparation to do including wooing the NI unionists before putting it to the people. What's not wanted is a Brexit style mess where implementing the will of the people is virtually impossible or detrimental. I'd say 20 to 30 years is realistic.
    Extract from article 3 of the constitution:

It is the firm will of the Irish nation, in harmony
    and friendship, to unite all the people who share
    the territory of the Island of Ireland, in all the
    diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only
    by peaceful means with the consent of a majority
    of the people, democratically expressed, in both
    jurisdictions in the island....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If there was a vote on it does the south of Ireland get to vote? How could the vote lose if that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,861 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Vita nova wrote: »
    The government has a clear constitutional imperative to work towards a UI but but there's an enormous amount of preparation to do including wooing the NI unionists before putting it to the people. What's not wanted is a Brexit style mess where implementing the will of the people is virtually impossible or detrimental. I'd say 20 to 30 years is realistic.

There has been work done on it. Quite a bit. More to be done though.

https://webarchive.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/committees/implementationofthegoodfridayagreement/jcigfa2016/brexit-and-the-future-of-ireland.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

20-30 years
    If there was a vote on it does the south of Ireland get to vote? How could the vote lose if that was the case.

Because right now most of the south would vote no. It would mean higher taxes, has the potential of unionist terrorism in the south plus a myriad of other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

30-40 years

Yes, there would be referendums in both jurisdictions but both would need to have a majority in favour of unity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's too hard to judge till after Brexit. With a bad economic Brexit followed by a loss of Scotland it's doubtful the remainder of the Union will be willing to keep pumping money into NI indefinitely, a NI that will also be badly hit by Brexit. In a recent poll only 30% (iirc) of people said they cared about keeping NI in the Union, not to mention the awful backwards stance of DUP run NI. Independence or reunification will need to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

10-15 years
    The truth is Brexit is the wild card in all of this, if the UK crashes out Unification is likely within a decade if not it could be 2 and if it doesn't happen at all it'll likely be longer than that even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Once people here about a solidarity surcharge, then you can be pretty sure the majority will vote against any form of a unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

20-30 years
    Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Hopefully it will never happen. The Brits don't want it, and the majority of Ireland don't want it either.

I wouldn't say the majority don't want it to happen, but they certainly do not want it to happen with some arbitrary idea of what might or might not happen once it starts being implemented.

Brexit has both made it more likely that it will happen and ensured that it will not for at least a generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

15-20 years
    jester77 wrote: »
    Once people here about a solidarity surcharge, then you can be pretty sure the majority will vote against any form of a unification.

Again, you are just making this up!

Once the British and EU agree to pump millions into the Irish economy, the majority will vote for reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Maybe it's time to go back.

The Act of Union 2020.

15-20 years

The Act of Union 2020.

If they beg then I'm sure we can accept the Brits into the Irish isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

15-20 years
    I pay a large amount of my income in taxes (net tax rate approx 30%). I would be happy to pay additional tax in order to fund a united ireland.

I am a republican - and I believe we can achieve reunification through peaceful means within 10 years. Especially in case of a hard brexit.

Part of me would prefer a return to Stormont with SF in majority beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd say it'll be by Friday week at best

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The Act of Union 2020.

I'm sure that's tongue in cheek but there's an element of truth in it. Reading many of the comments on this thread and others like it, shows the complete lack of readiness in this Republic for a change like this. There's a sense of arrogance, assumption and inevitability that such a change will happen.

To effect this peacefully and amicably, which would be a bottom line for the majority, really requires a considerable rethink of many green sacred cows. In some ways, we need to move back to 1914, when we had a united island with a Home Rule bill promised. We need to undo the last century, go back figuratively in our heads to that time and then move forward as one.

We shouldn't forget the history of blood sacrifice, but it needs to be put to one side, realign and then move on together.

15-20 years
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    I'm sure that's tongue in cheek but there's an element of truth in it. Reading many of the comments on this thread and others like it, shows the complete lack of readiness in this Republic for a change like this. There's a sense of arrogance, assumption and inevitability that such a change will happen.

To effect this peacefully and amicably, which would be a bottom line for the majority, really requires a considerable rethink of many green sacred cows. In some ways, we need to move back to 1914, when we had a united island with a Home Rule bill promised. We need to undo the last century, go back figuratively in our heads to that time and then move forward as one.

We shouldn't forget the history of blood sacrifice, but it needs to be put to one side, realign and then move on together.

Was that when unionists first threatened to arm themselves to the teeth and set up a violent militia?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Was that when unionists first threatened to arm themselves to the teeth and set up a violent militia?

Not just a threat. they smuggled 10's of thousands of rifles into Ulster to arm themselves. It was only the outbreak of WW1 that stopped them kicking off.

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    Not just a threat. they smuggled 10's of thousands of rifles into Ulster to arm themselves. It was only the outbreak of WW1 that stopped them kicking off.

It shows what violent extremists existed amongst Irish unionists. That they abused the power handed to them in their 'protestant state' came as no surprise. The only surprise was that it took 50 years for full out war to commence.

See what I mean? The standard 'Christian Brothers' view of Irish history. But sure carry on.

The alternative view is that the unionists of NI have been here hundreds of years and are as Irish as the rest of us. It's up to us to find a way to integrate them and throwing insults don't work.

See what I mean? The standard 'Christian Brothers' view of Irish history. But sure carry on.

Can you clarify what was incorrect in what i posted? Did they not form the UVF in 1913 and smuggle 10s of thousands of rifles into Ulster? If you are going to discuss you need to do it as a slightly higher level than that retort.

15-20 years

What was said that was incorrect? Uncomfortable with the facts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can you clarify what was incorrect in what i posted? Did they not form the UVF in 1913 and smuggle 10s of thousands of rifles into Ulster? If you are going to discuss you need to do it as a slightly higher level than that retort.

We've a long history of nationalist rebel forces, why are you surprised by the advent of unionist militias?

We've a long history of nationalist rebel forces, why are you surprised by the advent of unionist militias?

Where are you getting surprised from? I was simply stating facts.

What was said that was incorrect? Uncomfortable with the facts?

It's not about the 'facts' per se. The agendas are set by which facts are emphasised, accepted and used to reinforce certain viewpoints. And other facts that are ignored. It's the classic glass half full, half empty type of problem. Self justification.

You can approach the facts in various ways and mindsets - you can choose to use selected facts to reinforce division and negativity or you can choose other ways that find points of agreement and consensus.

As regards the OP, I just see, hear and read very little that demonstrates that citizens of our Republic are prepared to follow the latter route. Maybe in time we will?

15-20 years

The alternative view is that the unionists of NI have been here hundreds of years and are as Irish as the rest of us. It's up to us to find a way to integrate them and throwing insults don't work.

Who's throwing insults? Did unionists not arm themselves in opposition to the Home Rule bill?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where are you getting surprised from? I was simply stating facts.

You are making it sound like the militia came first, as opposed to them being a response, to a known issue with nationalist rebellions.

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    It's not about the 'facts' per se. The agendas are set by which facts are emphasised, accepted and used to reinforce certain viewpoints. And other facts that are ignored. It's the classic glass half full, half empty type of problem. Self justification.

You can approach the facts in various ways and mindsets - you can choose to use selected facts to reinforce division and negativity or you can choose other ways that find points of agreement and consensus.

As regards the OP, I just see, hear and read very little that demonstrates that citizens of our Republic are prepared to follow the latter route.

How is aiming to recruit 100,000 men to violently oppose something amount to finding points of agreement and consensus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement