Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a future for public service broadcasting I'm interested in.

I don't see much comparison to an abusive personal relationship.

Maybe your sensibilities aren't offended as easily as the rest of ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They get a block grant and trim the operation to fit the amount allocated, if 2FM vanished tomorrow would anyone notice? Same for that Lyric rubbish

Yes, that's a possibility but I would prefer to decide what we want the operation to do first and then provide the funding for that.

Why do you want to do away with ads?

I'm not much of a 2FM person myself but place a high value on Lyric especially when driving.

Maybe, but then sometimes I think I might have had a sensibilities by-pass.

Often useful around here 🙂

From a place where that Lyric drivel wouldn't be considered music,shyte is broadcast on 2 wavelenghs just short of the local radio wavelength so the funeral dirge kicks in while driving out the mountain, nobody North of Navan wants it,

I hate adverts, they are pointless, the pet hate is charity ads, spending hundreds of thousands that would be better used for actual charity

OK.

I get it, you don't like Lyric but I do so let's park that for now.

I really don't mind ads myself especially if they are helping to finance programmes I like.

I'm pretty sure that the ads must work for those who place them or they wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Seeing as Moya is sticking her oar in the water again...

Jan 2015

SPONSORSHIP MONEY WILL “more than cover” the salary RTÉ is paying Ray D’Arcy, the incoming chair of the national broadcaster has said.

Moya Doherty made the comments before the Oireachtas Communications today where she came in for strong questioning from TDs over what RTÉ pays some of its star presenters.

How's all that working out for ya now Moya? He hasn't had a sponsor for large periods (about 3 years) of his time there since you got him in - In 2018 1yr sponsorship was 270k and can now be bought for 210k and still no takers.

Claire Byrne and Brendan O'Connor also struggling for sponsors. So the contractors - Ray, CB, and BOC getting huge fees and no sponsors. I think the three of them may have something in common outside of RTE but I just can't put my finger on it :pac:

Perhaps a kitchen de-cluttering company will pay the 350k pa it costs to sponsor Today with CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

The presenter of Droichid Na hEireann on RTÉ 1said that The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Bridge spans the River Barrow between Waterford and Wexford.The bridge is 16 Kilometres by road from Waterford. Surely someone should have copped that error.

Post edited by jelutong on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dee only has to look at her flagship show tonight, with one of her huge earners.

It is absolute muck, with terrible guests and even finishing earlier than it used to because they can't fill the time any more. Each episode is as bad as the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's terrible tonight - can't even call it an entertainment show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tommy Tiernan had Roger Daltrey from 'the Who' on last week, Gabriel Byrne the week before.

Tubridy has... Dancing with the Staff (former) contestants, and someone who was on the show a month ago. (The Toy Show, but I refuse to watch that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭downtheroad

As well as avoiding tax by contracting their services from their companies, a number of RTE 'stars' are availing of tax free income from the Artists Exemption provided by Revenue.

Revenue can make a determination that certain artistic works are original and creative works generally recognised as having cultural or artistic merit. 

Examples of this cultural or artistic merit includes "JFK in Ireland" by Ryan Tubridy, "Children of the Rising" by Joe Duffy, "In America: Tales from Trump Country" and "The Tribe" by Caitriona Perry.

No income tax paid on earnings up to €50,000 on these works is a tax saving of up to €20,000 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A new organisation. A blank sheet of paper. A mandate to provide balanced public service broadcasting with no agenda or bias...

But if you did this you'd surely be bringing back some, probably a lot, of the same people, infrastructure, even programmes (under tweaked formats and different programmes), given how limited a pool Irish broadcasting operates in.

I'm not sure making a big show of 'scrapping RTE and making a fresh start' would be much more than gesture politics...

• Advertisement

As long as the hiring managers are not part of the old boys network the old staff will not be rehired.

Your shiny new public service broadcaster would literally not employ a single ex-RTE person? I find that hard to believe. Plus it would be a massive challenge for the new organisation to build a rapport with the public if it doesn't feature any familiar faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's been a particularly bad & astonishingly dreadful week in output from RTE , I suppose we should allow a little time for presenters to settle back in after their extended Christmas/January break and perhaps they are at a loss on what to do, given the lack of Covid Fillers but mother of God, RTE's programming is dreadful.

Just look at the awful Gik on last night's Late Late, 5 FEMALE nurses herded up onto the stage whilst Tubs essentially takes the PEE, Joe Duffy on a four day Diatribe on matters he's clearly clueless about and then the utterly Bizzare 75 minute tribute to Noel V Ginnity on Friday, even he seemed completely bewildered by it all.

I beginning to think there's a Case for RTE to be actually paying people to watch and listen to the garbage they broadcast.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

As with any open position the candidates should be judged on their abilities. This is not a revolutionary approach to talent acquisition.

Just for clarity are you talking about making all the staff of RTE redundant or just presenters?

• Advertisement

I'd allow them interview for their positions. If not now then when would you put people on notice.

Yes but are you talking about everyone in RTE or just some?

What’s the point of even trying to argue a point if you’re just going to talk rubbish?

“adverts are pointless”

yes, definitely, they’re absolutely useless and that’s why companies spend a fortune advertising, just because. And this coming from the authority on what is or isn’t music. 🙄

It wouldn't be RTE. It would be a new organisation. Why is this so hard for you to understand. Do you not remember all the pirate radio stations switching off on New Year's Eve then applying for licences. Some were successful, some were not. There is no need for continuity with RTE.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/pirate-radio-closedown-30-years-ago-ended-buccaneering-chapter-1.3744560

I listened to the local pirate station as they signed off and the air went silent.

Again, I ask you, why is this so hard for you to understand?

Do you literally think that it is feasible to close down our Public Broadcasting Service and have the staff all made redundant?

What happens then, have them all queue around the block to be interviewed by who?

Yes. you aren't cut out for management if you can't make hard decisions.

The public do not "owe" them a living. You seem to think the public should keep them in the standard of living to which they have become accustomed.

Okay I took this to mean if the recruiters for the new broadcaster are competent and properly independent they will not rehire a single ex-RTE person.

But this implies you would accept some former RTE heads if their abilities are of the requisite level. I'm assuming this is your actual position.

You just fired all the management and paid them all big redundancy along with everyone else including the guy who cuts the grass.

There's nobody left to make hard decisions🙂.

Any Hiring Manager who overlooks competent candidates for an open position should be dismissed. Any Hiring Manager who allows preferred candidates should be dismissed.

You are obviously not familiar with labour law if you think making people redundant in Ireland need be expensive.

Are you also suggesting that the Footsoldiers in RTE are exclusively responsible the company's inability to deliver quality programming and that the Managers should be given a free pass and protection.

• Advertisement

The Gardai are better in the last number of years for not having hired internally for the top job.

There's a piece in the SUN today about rte looking for a sponsor to come on/ board & carry the load€€ for ray Darcy radio show.....tyeyre looking for €210K a year.............i doubt there'll be many queing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

A true miracle took place in D.4 today.

Just a few short hours after the post here regarding Brendan O'Connor's (and others) show not having a sponsor, suddenly there's a two hour show this morning with the RTE lady shouting 'Allcare Pharmacy' every few minutes. She forgot to shout that in yesterdays promo and for the last few months. Allcare were the previous sponsors so there was that handy recording lying about for emergency use.

The RTE page where the show was looking for a sponsor (prices etc) yesterday, today returns a 404 error

God moves in a mysterious way.

A more cynical person than I might think that Allcare Pharm are getting a few freebies or massive discounts just for the optics while they wait for another sucker sponsor to appear - but I couldn't possibly comment on that.

RTE, I'll ask you a question here and I'll try to keep it simple and give you a pointer because you do come across as being quite thick :- You are having problems getting sponsors for 3 shows that have presenters on very high fees and they come from the same agent. Where do you think the problem might lie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And yet when he was poached from TodayFM we were told he would pay for himself due to big sponsorship.

Potential sponsors probably read this...

Ray takes over at 3pm for 90 minutes of music, ground-breaking one-to-one interviews, regular advice slots, comedy and entertainment

...and thought what else are they lying about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ground-breaking one to one interviews? Who is taking the piss?

Aren't his 'listenership' numbers always heading South????

Got to admit one of my favourite interviews of all time was Pamela Anderson on Darcys ill-fated Sath night tv show......oh, that was pure comedy gold....you actually felt sorry for the guy

Yup, something like 150k turn off when his program starts (I manage about 2 mins of him) and like 15% drop in listeners since last year but "He's worth it" (not)

Is Dee Forbes sole remit/ job hussling/ drumming up more €€€ to keep the gravy train on/ track?????

Sometimes I picture her coming out of the lift on dragons den......

Ok, so I want MORE money.......fot this investment you get,,,,

A biased media company that's top heavy with grossly overpaid talentless hangers-on.

Nepotism on a grand scale

Radio shows with way too many producers/ presenters.

Antiquated IT systems

A government that's beholden to us......afraid to upset the apple-cart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

This clip did the rounds on twitter... Alan Partridge would be ashamed to pull this kind of crud. But for Tubridy, it's another Friday fail.

It's cringetastic... and note they couldn't even get the tricolour, nor did they play the IRish national anthem. T'would upset the woke folk.

LMAO - the comments are less than complimentary but Ryan thinks he was amazing and that's all that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

I see that Paddy Cosgrave has sent out a tweet, suggesting a possible boycott of the licence fee.

He's got a massive following on twitter, so things have just gotten a little bit more interesting!

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1487885287510487042?t=vmCbvM2z8dtTnai_zt2N7g&s=09

Thanks,

G.

Oh wow he tweeted? I bet the government are drafting new legislation as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm all for kicking RTE for their failure at everything, but if its putting me on the same side as that spanner, I would start to second-guess myself...

Altogether now -

"We want Paddy for our leader, Paddy is a man of class...."

Gone a bit quiet there 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Paddy may not be the person... but RTÉ does need reform. There performance at the PAC and the Media Committee was the lowest point ever. I still don't know what they plan to do with the 65m they say they are missing. And were is An Post the people who are supposed to collect this fee, they don't even collect 1m licence fees each year.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I was only being a bit lighthearted.

I don't think for a minute that PC really cares anyway.

My own position is that like PC I support Public Service Broadcasting.

I think we need to decide what sort of PSB we want and then decide how to pay for it.

I favour direct exchequer funding which means no chasing after people, no evasion and no collection costs.

PSB TV free at point of use just like radio is today.

Dublin is only 10% of the population yet most of the programming is Dublin Centric, either shift 90% of the programming outside of Dublin, sell the big site in Donnybrook and operate from an Industrial estate like VM123 or charge for RTE by area, areass which aren't getting local news or programming pay nothing and those who are constantly featured pay the most, Tallaght, Longford and Limerick may have issues with this

Dublin Region actually accounts for 28.5% of the population and of course it is our capital city.

Some of the infrastructure in Montrose is showing it's age anyway but a move would be vey expensive and there would be little point in it unless you were prepared to fund a complex with the best of modern technology. I'd be open to the idea but would like to see the figures.

More regional coverage would be worth considering including some more decentralisation.

Direct funding would remove the need for regional payment differentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Should RTÉ not try to provide PSBing, after all we currently pay for it through the license fee.

Exchequer funding has it problems. 1. Political influence and 2. During a downturn the easy at which a government may decided to cut funding to public service broadcasting.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
Advertisement