Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    I think you need to play Sekiro. Oh the wonderful dreams you'll have then... :D

Finishing Life is Strange 2 today, then onto ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro will be after that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Finishing Life is Strange 2 today, then onto ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro will be after that :)

I'd prioritise Sekiro before Ghost. Sekiro is so good it just makes something as simplistic as ghost seem obsolete. Very different games but the combat in Sekiro is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd prioritise Sekiro before Ghost. Sekiro is so good it just makes something as simplistic as ghost seem obsolete. Very different games but the combat in Sekiro is so much better.

Sekiro is great
    Not enough fox petting though
    Or writing haikus

I'm playing GoT and enjoying it a lot, but I'm almost sure Sekiro would still be the better game by the end

I had a feeling it might so gonna blast through ghost first in case Sekiro ruins it and i can't go back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say Ghost is extremely basic compared to Sekiro but then again nearly every other game is.

Ghost has that mechanic where you have to change stance depending on the enemy you face which I find a very lazy unsatisfying mechanic. It's just arbitrary rather than adding any sort of complexity. It's still ahead of the likes of Assassin's creed and looks and feels nice initially even if you have that nagging feeling that the kills are never really earned like they are in Sekiro.

Then again it's probably a huge ask to transplant Sekiro's combat into an open world with much more variables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Do folk think we'll get a sequel?
    My head says no but my heart says 'please please please please please!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Do folk think we'll get a sequel?
    My head says no but my heart says 'please please please please please!'.

I'd definitely prefer a sequel to Sekiro over another Dark Souls but I need Elden Ring first!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I won’t object to a sequel, but would prefer them taking on original projects instead. They definitely exhausted Dark Souls over the course of the series, good games though they all are (DS2 included).

But honestly I think I’d prefer every developer to tackle original projects more often - From being one of the few studios that actually does it fairly regularly.

It's open for a sequel but also wouldn't want them to run the game into the ground. The gameplay systems are still open to a lot more interesting gameplay and bosses and they are far from tired.

However Sekiro was their first step away from the Dark Souls formula and it just showed how far ahead From Software are from everyone else in level design, game design and world building. I'm more open to them carrying that over and experimenting with it with new systems and worlds.

I definitely would prefer new games from FromSoftware as their world/character design is some of the best in the biz. That being said, as much as I love the souls games, Sekiro really resonated with me and it's definitely my favourite game FromSoftware have made to date. The combat is so frenetic and addictive. I guess I just greedily want more.

That being said, I respect that they don't want to just play it safe and churn out sequels the whole time. For example, as much as I loved Bloodborne I really don't think that game needs a sequel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

NIghtmare fuel here. Sekiro but every enemy is the Guardian Ape :pac:

NIghtmare fuel here. Sekiro but every enemy is the Guardian Ape :pac:

That's brilliant :D

Bollox, have my games going off to CEX tomorrow and was buying this as soon as i got the credit and they're now out of stock. Hard to get anywhere but now my credit is tied up with cex so just gonna wait for it to come back in. Disappointing.

Bollox, have my games going off to CEX tomorrow and was buying this as soon as i got the credit and they're now out of stock. Hard to get anywhere but now my credit is tied up with cex so just gonna wait for it to come back in. Disappointing.

Last year I missed getting it on sale price of about 15euro off by about 2 days. Ended up paying full price for it. Still worth it.

Penn wrote: »
    Last year I missed getting it on sale price of about 15euro off by about 2 days. Ended up paying full price for it. Still worth it.

You might have answered already but since we both cleared Ghost recently, which do you think is better? (I know they aren't similar games but similar settings)

You might have answered already but since we both cleared Ghost recently, which do you think is better? (I know they aren't similar games but similar settings)

Arguably the best of the From Software games versus standard Ubisoft open world shlock.

Do you need to ask?

Arguably the best of the From Software games versus standard Ubisoft open world shlock.

Do you need to ask?

Yes since he played both :) But really, I kinda know the answer.

Also, Ghost was far better any recent Assassins Creed, Ubisoft 'em up. Not very fair to lump it in with those.

Also, Ghost was far better any recent Assassins Creed, Ubisoft 'em up. Not very fair to lump it in with those.

It's one of the better ones like Spiderman. It's the ubisoft standard formula done well but it's still the Ubisoft standard fomula and no where near Breath of the Wild levels of greatness. Still has a huge amount of time wasting.

And even then I'd put Sekiro over BotW.

It's one of the better ones like Spiderman. It's the ubisoft standard formula done well but it's still the Ubisoft standard fomula and no where near Breath of the Wild levels of greatness. Still has a huge amount of time wasting.

And even then I'd put Sekiro over BotW.

Maybe one day I'll get a Nintendo and finally play BotW to see what the big deal is but probably not. My Ninty days died with the Snes :(

If I knew this would be out of stock, I'd change my choice to cash instead of credit and just buy it new somewhere. Actually my games are being collected today so maybe I can still change it...to the CEX site!

Sekiro. Harder to get into (or maybe more so for me as it was my first FromSoftware game, even though it's notably different in many ways to the others), but once you do get into it it's an absolute joy.

Ghost beats it in all the ways you'd imagine it would; story, presentation, graphics, etc. But gameplay, level design, enemy design, boss fights... Sekiro all the way. Hell I even enjoyed the stealth in Sekiro more than Ghost.

Obviously it comes with some of the usual small annoyances I have with some FromSoftware games, of "How the f*ck was I supposed to know that?", "Why am I getting so many of these consumables that seem to have either zero or very limited use unless in very particular circumstances?", and of course "Why am I having more trouble with this one normal base-level enemy than most of the bosses?!", but it never ruins your enjoyment. Whereas Ghost, as much as I enjoyed it a lot, is just very typical open-world stuff with a great combat system and great storytelling and presentation. It's nothing special though. Sekiro is.

• Advertisement

Sekiro has a weird learning progression as well. You'll bumble your way through the game getting killed a lot and and not really getting the game then get to the Genchiro boss fight and be forced to learn the game. And then when you finally beat Genchiro it's a 'I can see the Matrix!' moment and it's deflect, deflect, deflect stab all day long and it just feels so good going up against early sub bosses as regular enemies and absolutely destroying them :D

So basically don't give up when you try it. We've been there. We've gotten through it. It's more than manageable :)

This was a hard game to find but Adverts to the rescue, 30 quid, it's in the post, should be here tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Started playing this over a week ago. Loved the souls games but heard this was a bitch to play. Just defeated Genichiro Ashina. Bloody hell, what an intense and amazing fight. Shouted for joy when I took his second life and panicked when the cut scene ended. That third round was hard to figure out as the electricity attack kept getting me. Just killed him there. Need a break now, I'm drained.

**** this ****ing ogre!

edit: Ah wasn't so bad :pac:

**** this ****ing ogre!

edit: Ah wasn't so bad :pac:

Oh young Padawan. Greater horrors await.

Oh young Padawan. Greater horrors await.

Found the headless, yeah, might leave them alone for a while.

Found the headless, yeah, might leave them alone for a while.

Don't bother with them until later on. There's a very specific way you need to kill them as well involving consumables that are in short supply.

Don't bother with them until later on. There's a very specific way you need to kill them as well involving consumables that are in short supply.

Okay, taking a break now anyway, back to it later. It's as smooth as butter, nice and quick too. Some false sense of ease at the start as I was deflecting everything no problem. Multiple enemies are a bollox and i'm definitely trying to use dodge too much. I feel like I'm missing things by keeping to the rooftops but maybe it's like other Souls games where do everything once and then speed through after you die.

What's the bars at the top and bottom of the screen for, stamina/guard break?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

What's the bars at the top and bottom of the screen for, stamina/guard break?

Yeah its basically your energy bar for blocking/deflecting, when it fills your character is left open for a second or two and you cant block/deflect, so back away and reset it. Issue with doing that though is your enemies can go down to, so try do it when they do a big swing and a miss, i think if you hold your guard up yours goes down quickly, i cant remember that exactly could be not guarding at all if that doesnt work..

And yeah, yer a ninja, stick to the shadows as much as you can, get up behind as many enemies as you can, you can likely one shot mobs this way, or make the fight much easier, depends on how many circles are above their head..

• Advertisement

Multiple enemies won't ever stop being a ballocks.

Not sure about the UI. The pink circles are your resurrections. You will also have a stamina bar in fights that will stagger you. Blocking makes it go down faster which is the exact opposite of Dark Souls. And you need to get out of the habit of dodging. It's good in some situations and for grab attacks but you need to be deflecting more. It's a bad habit for souls players.

Advertisement