Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

noodler wrote: »
    What will it take for this to ever become discounted!

Considering the free update is coming in the next week as well as a game of the year edition (which simply comes with the free update as there's been no other dlc), I don't think it'll be discounted again until maybe Xmas. It was down to 45 a few months ago on PS4 but I missed out on that myself and paid full price.

Its worth full price though. I was happy to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If theres any game to pay full price for, its Sekiro :pac:

Best dark souls game by miles imo

Down to 39 on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Best dark souls game by miles imo
    Definitely my favourite. I've finished it more times than any other souls game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The game was updated on the 29th of last month and added new content.

3 costumes, a new combat art ,Reflections/Gauntlets of Strength game mode and a feature called Remnants.

One of the costumes is unlocked by beating the game, the other two are rewards in the Gauntlet of Strength mode.

Gauntlets of Strength is basically a boss rush mode. There is 3 different gauntlet paths where you fight a certain number of select bosses. Each path ends with a fight against an enhanced version of one of 3 different bosses, known as the Inner version. These Inner bosses get new moves and are generally more aggressive.

Each has its own reward for winning. One of them unlocks a new combat art the the other two will unlock costumes. Beating all three path unlocks the a 4th Gauntlet where you have to beat ever boss in the game including the 3 new Inner bosses, a total of 17 bosses. There is no reward for that, its just there for the challenge.

Reflections of Strength allow you to fight any boss you have already beaten. You can use this mode to practice any bosses you find tough.

Remnants is basically a Dark Souls message system from other peoples games. You can leave or see 30 second recordings of the the game. You can also rate the replays. If someone positively rates your Remnant you can use it as a free heal up spot.

Anyway I've gone through the first 3 Gauntlets and unlocked everything. Took me a while to get the hang of it, as I haven't played in months. The new Inner Genichiro boss was by far the toughest but he's pretty much free to me now. Your able to rest between every fight, so its not bad as you will always go into a fight fully stocked. There is only one or two boss fights I will need to practice before I'll attempt to beat all the bosses in the final gauntlet.

Anyway its a free update, and a good excuse to go back to such a brilliant game. I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,827 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Azza wrote: »
    The game was updated on the 29th of last month and added new content.

3 costumes, a new combat art ,Reflections/Gauntlets of Strength game mode and a feature called Remnants.

One of the costumes is unlocked by beating the game, the other two are rewards in the Gauntlet of Strength mode.

Gauntlets of Strength is basically a boss rush mode. There is 3 different gauntlet paths where you fight a certain number of select bosses. Each path ends with a fight against an enhanced version of one of 3 different bosses, known as the Inner version. These Inner bosses get new moves and are generally more aggressive.

Each has its own reward for winning. One of them unlocks a new combat art the the other two will unlock costumes. Beating all three path unlocks the a 4th Gauntlet where you have to beat ever boss in the game including the 3 new Inner bosses, a total of 17 bosses. There is no reward for that, its just there for the challenge.

Reflections of Strength allow you to fight any boss you have already beaten. You can use this mode to practice any bosses you find tough.

Remnants is basically a Dark Souls message system from other peoples games. You can leave or see 30 second recordings of the the game. You can also rate the replays. If someone positively rates your Remnant you can use it as a free heal up spot.

Anyway I've gone through the first 3 Gauntlets and unlocked everything. Took me a while to get the hang of it, as I haven't played in months. The new Inner Genichiro boss was by far the toughest but he's pretty much free to me now. Your able to rest between every fight, so its not bad as you will always go into a fight fully stocked. There is only one or two boss fights I will need to practice before I'll attempt to beat all the bosses in the final gauntlet.

Anyway its a free update, and a good excuse to go back to such a brilliant game. I recommend it.

And now the game runs better on the new consoles so a perfect time to get into the game again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gotten back into this big time. I found the game quite difficult until I reached Genchiro who was a big hurdle to get over. However my struggle with Genchiro has made me learn how the game really works and understand it and I'm flying through the game now. All the bosses afterwards so far have been minor road blocks taking less than 10 tries to beat. I've since finished up the three side areas (sunken valley, Senpou and the depths) and making my way back to Ashina Castle where things are kicking off again.

From games really just put to shame triple A games. There's nothing like the exhilaration of overcoming a boss in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I have an xbox controller on order, so I can replay this without a keyboard and mouse :/

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gotten back into this big time. I found the game quite difficult until I reached Genchiro who was a big hurdle to get over. However my struggle with Genchiro has made me learn how the game really works and understand it and I'm flying through the game now. All the bosses afterwards so far have been minor road blocks taking less than 10 tries to beat. I've since finished up the three side areas (sunken valley, Senpou and the depths) and making my way back to Ashina Castle where things are kicking off again.

From games really just put to shame triple A games. There's nothing like the exhilaration of overcoming a boss in those games.

Yeah Genichiro was really when the combat completely clicked for me. The best boss fights are still yet to come though and they'll still push you to the limits. Enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I felt the same, felt Genchiro was the first truly difficult bit of the game, took me around 50 tries the first time and jesus the first time I reached the second stage didn't know what to do.

Great game though , beat it twice which is rare for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I saw a price drop alert for this yesterday (xbox) and I'm tempted - never played a souls game. I just don't have the time to put into it. Will it be wasted on a casual like me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

theteal wrote: »
    I saw a price drop alert for this yesterday (xbox) and I'm tempted - never played a souls game. I just don't have the time to put into it. Will it be wasted on a casual like me?

If you have 120 hours to waste on junk like Red Dead 2 or assassin's creed you have the 40 hours to sink into a Souls game. Give it a go at least. And if you feel you aren't good enough to finish it just remember we all felt like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I think Sekiro is the hardest of the games, so I’d not necessarily recommend it as the first one. Demon’s Souls is the most manageable if you can access that on PS3 or PS5. But I’d suggest Dark Souls is a little more forgiving than Sekiro if you’re taking your first steps.

Sekiro is definitely more action-y than the others, though, so there are fewer RPG elements if you want to dive straight in. It just doesn’t have lifelines such as co-op to help flatten the difficulty curve. Makes it purer and more rewarding in many ways, but there’s definitely a few big difficulty spikes for most players compared to the other Souls games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Personally I think Sekiro is the hardest of the games, so I’d not necessarily recommend it as the first one. Demon’s Souls is the most manageable if you can access that on PS3 or PS5. But I’d suggest Dark Souls is a little more forgiving than Sekiro if you’re taking your first steps.

Sekiro is definitely more action-y than the others, though, so there are fewer RPG elements if you want to dive straight in. It just doesn’t have lifelines such as co-op to help flatten the difficulty curve. Makes it purer and more rewarding in many ways, but there’s definitely a few big difficulty spikes for most players compared to the other Souls games.

Is there an option to drop down the difficulty level if it gets too tough? I've never played a souls game but nearly picked up this game when it was onsale at christmas.

Is there an option to drop down the difficulty level if it gets too tough? I've never played a souls game but nearly picked up this game when it was onsale at christmas.

Nope.

But there is a bell you can ring to make it harder! And there's a high level mini boos protecting it in the early game. Have fun with that if you want a challenge.

The game is perfectly manageable just it expects you to learn to overcome the obstacles and won't offer the player an easy way out.

Nope.

But there is a bell you can ring to make it harder! And there's a high level mini boos protecting it in the early game. Have fun with that if you want a challenge.

The game is perfectly manageable just it expects you to learn to overcome the obstacles and won't offer the player an easy way out.

That's what makes Genichiro such a tough fight. No matter how you've been getting through the game up to the point, whether it be cheesing bosses, stealth, or just taking potshots and retreating, that fight forces you to adapt to the posture system and won't let you past until you do. But once you do, no fight or group of enemies feels insurmountable. It'll still be tough and challenging with some bosses who'll punish any small mistake, but those instincts you develop by fighting Genichiro carry you through the majority of the rest of the game.

It was my first FromSoftware game, so it was definitely a shock to the senses, and the first few hours were tough as hell, especially when you come across one or two mini-bosses who smash you every time. But once it starts to click, the majority of the game can actually be quite easy. Some tough bosses and enemies, but like I said, none of it feels insurmountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Thats what I enjoy about Souls games, they have systems in the game and you absolutely have to use them or you will perish. Not a huge amount into Sekiro yet but I have played a decent amount of the other games and if you aren't taking advantage of the opportunities to get stronger or learn the mechanics that the game provides your gonna have a hard time.

In contrast, I'm playing a bit of AC Valhalla which is a series I usually avoid, just for some mindless wandering around a map. There are upgrade trees and other systems in there that all look nice but the game never forces you to use them. I can gain 20 or so upgrade points and not use them and still breeze through raids which makes a lot of it redundant if they game never forces you to use the systems.

Another game that does this well is Divinity 2, everytime I gain a level in that I level up immediately or else I'll struggle in next area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If you have 120 hours to waste on junk like Red Dead 2 or assassin's creed you have the 40 hours to sink into a Souls game. Give it a go at least. And if you feel you aren't good enough to finish it just remember we all felt like that.

Hard no.

Yeah I think I'll look out for it after I pick up the new xbox in a couple of months. I'm taking over the room out the back of the house so hopefully I'll be left alone to play some games (one can dream!)

• Advertisement

It's funny seeing just how far your skills have come in this game. The area I'm in now is filled with sub bosses from the early game that gave me hours of trouble. I'm totally decimating everything now and they can barely touch me. Got up to Owl before bed and while he did beat me I was saying thinking to myself, yeah I can take this guy pretty handily. That's a stark contrast to my fight with Genchiro!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm disappointed with myself that I haven't played this yet but I am looking forward to eventually giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I would say that the boss fights in this are among the toughest in the series in my opinion.

Very rewarding though.

Tempted to give this another shot. There was a whole area I missed due to making a particular choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Nope.

I'm playing a game at the moment which I'm almost finished and will be looking for a big game to take its place when I do. Don't think I'm ready to give cyberpunk another go just yet until it's patched. This might be the front runner.

Well it's one of the best games I've ever played.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Nah...not enough of plot is explained by Nano machines!

Azza wrote: »
    Nah...not enough of plot is explained by Nano machines!

If the last boss isn't the Vice President then it's only a 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sekiro or Cyberpunk?

• Advertisement

Sekiro. Not touched cyberpunk

Advertisement