Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

patrickc wrote: »
    I don't know how recent this is, but was flicking through the stations today and I see Phil Cawley is the drive time presenter on South East Radio. When did that happen? It was nice to hear him in a prime time show

Start of the month I think. He said on Radio Today he was supposed to start before lockdown but it got pushed back with covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Good for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I don't know how recent this is, but was flicking through the stations today and I see Phil Cawley is the drive time presenter on South East Radio. When did that happen? It was nice to hear him in a prime time show
    Start of the month I think. He said on Radio Today he was supposed to start before lockdown but it got pushed back with covid

I see from the article that his contract with Today FM finished last year but that they offered him the Sunday slot which he took up, and that he will still continue with that slot after this move. It's also interesting, as the article reminds us, that he had previously been with South East Radio back in the '90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What did the caller say?

They were talking about fireworks. The caller says “one thing I’d like to strap a firework to is that bloody watermelon sugar song. Good god will it ever get off he radio” :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

They were talking about fireworks. The caller says “one thing I’d like to strap a firework to is that bloody watermelon sugar song. Good god will it ever get off he radio” :)

And D or D replied "It's like 2017's Desposito!", so I'd say they're as sick of it as the rest of us. Last year it was George Ezra's Shotgun. But every other mainstream station is the same - play two of the top five songs every show.

I'm a big fan of 7 o'clock arriving, midweek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I see from the article that his contract with Today FM finished last year but that they offered him the Sunday slot which he took up, and that he will still continue with that slot after this move. It's also interesting, as the article reminds us, that he had previously been with South East Radio back in the '90s.

Isn't he doing a slot on Nova, too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Isn't he doing a slot on Nova, too?

I think he (& most of the weekend djs) was laid off from Nova during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I always got the impression he was a Permanent staff member of Today FM/Communicorp?

It has been many years since Phil had a regular weekday radio slot (prob before Tony Fenton replaced him on late afternoons on Today FM way back in 2004/2005???)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I always got the impression he was a Permanent staff member of Today FM/Communicorp?

It has been many years since Phil had a regular weekday radio slot (prob before Tony Fenton replaced him on late afternoons on Today FM way back in 2004/2005???)

That may will be the case, but this is the private sector. And, besides, I would have thought most would be on contracts, which by their nature are not secure. People can be let go or have their hours reduced or given only one presenting spot as the market, or the company, dictates. I don't know to what extent Phil was doing anything behind the scenes, but I am guessing he was given only one option last year if he wanted to stay with them - even if he was a permanent member of staff. Today FM had already got rid of another long-termer a few years previously - Declan Meehan - and, of course, plenty have been let go along the way. When I say "let go", for most, if not all, it probably involves not renewing their contracts when they are nearly due to come up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Yes one time Tim Kelly, Donan Dineen & Phil were staff members of Radio Ireland Limited. Donan and Tim were made redundant at the same time in 2011, although Tim continued to get freelance work with them until 2014.

• Advertisement

Did Anna Geary get the boot from the pumped up kicks show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Just listening myself this afternoon and was wondering the same thing,had a look at their website and she's gone only Dec on his own now from the pics...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

is she doing a vogue williams whereby she's bouncing from venture to venture to make her "famous" or "relevant" , when she packed in the camogi, she was a news reader, then a sports reporter gig on a tv3 show, then a "life coach" influencer thing and then getting a reality show gig and lately a radio presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That show should just stick to music especially when you've off the ball on newstalk at the same time, I just listen to talksport on Saturdays for live games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I just noticed Jessica Maciel is doing Saturday 11-2 and Sunday 1-4 now. When Phil was moved on there was another woman doing it, can't think of her name. They seem to change presenters a lot at the moment.

now to get rid of Fergaaaalllll D'arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just noticed Jessica Maciel is doing Saturday 11-2 and Sunday 1-4 now. When Phil was moved on there was another woman doing it, can't think of her name. They seem to change presenters a lot at the moment.

now to get rid of Fergaaaalllll D'arcy

She is on in the morning now

Just listening myself this afternoon and was wondering the same thing,had a look at their website and she's gone only Dec on his own now from the pics...

Yeah noticed the pic too on the app. Just looked at her twitter and it still says she's a presenter on pumped up kicks. Dunno so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

D&D giving clue for ah sure look it before end of show. If anyone hears will they will let us know.
    Thanks
    PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The clue is:

This is sharp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

evil_seed wrote: »
    The clue is:

This is sharp

Thanks

good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Today FM have gone and shoehorned Dec Pierce into a show that doesn't suit him.

Block Rockin Beats is a great show and they should have left well enough alone.

But no - they have Dec on this stupid sports magazine show when he cant really interview and the Aston Villa supporter thing wears thin very fast. Add in the forced banter with Anna Geary and it really is a poor show.

Like another poster said, leave the sport to Newstalk and RTE 1 on a Saturday and play the same songs over and over again like they do anytime I tune in during weekdays.

By the way - that John Cladell (spelling?) fella that does the music slot on The Last Word - is he responsible for the music played on the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

All credit to Irish artists at the end of the day, but the lack of variety is wearing thin. Dermort Kennedy must get played every hour?

Good jesus this chap is brining me to the point of insanity - We have today fm piped in here in work, and I'm only back in the odd day, but I swear to god everytime I take off my headphones Dermot Kennedy is playing....

BPKS wrote: »

By the way - that John Cladell (spelling?) fella that does the music slot on The Last Word - is he responsible for the music played on the station.

I'd be very surprised if it was him. He was the main guy at TXFM so can't imagine he be responsible for the terrible selection played every hour on Today FM.

I'd be very surprised if it was him. He was the main guy at TXFM so can't imagine he be responsible for the terrible selection played every hour on Today FM.

Why would you be surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

John Cadell dates back to Phantom pirate days iirc, but I think he took charge of the mainstreaming into TXFM though. Now at the time I was very píssed off at the direction Phantom, and then Phantom to TXFM took, and kinda blamed Cadell, but obviously there wasn't the market there once they got the licence. Anyway, afaik only doing the Last Word slot radio wise (quite enjoy it) and doing a decent job with Rascals Brewery imo, and have enjoyed listening to him on virtual beer festivals much more than as a radio presenter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Macy0161 wrote: »
    John Cadell dates back to Phantom pirate days iirc, but I think he took charge of the mainstreaming into TXFM though. Now at the time I was very píssed off at the direction Phantom, and then Phantom to TXFM took, and kinda blamed Cadell, but obviously there wasn't the market there once they got the licence. Anyway, afaik only doing the Last Word slot radio wise (quite enjoy it) and doing a decent job with Rascals Brewery imo, and have enjoyed listening to him on virtual beer festivals much more than as a radio presenter!

He’s involved in rascals brewery? Isn’t that Joe Donnelly? Or both?

Why would you be surprised?

Because he typically has decent taste in music.

• Advertisement

Because he typically has decent taste in music.

That might be true for many of us, but if his bosses in Communicorp tell him he has a job to do - select and playlist chart/recent music on rotation for Today FM - he'll do it.

Advertisement