Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah as weird and uninspiring a year as it has been for Men's tennis we still had 3 new Masters Champions and a new WTF Champion, so there's a large positive there

Dimitrov's issues will always be with playing the top players though but at least this should be a major confidence boost indeed

I thought Goffin played by far the better tennis though, and I honestly think he's more likely a slam winner than GD.

Beating Nadal and Federer might be more beneficial than winning it the way GD did too

Super! Not at all before time. 16 seeds is more than enough and should ensure much more competitive early round matches as well as less tanks all round on tour

Can't see that shot clock lasting if implemented tbh, so wouldn't overly worry about that

Warm-ups are a farce though and badly need reviewing so good to see. The best ever is a rain delay lasting a couple of minutes and they come out to do a lengthy warm-up again with more showers imminent. Laughable

I know it'll probably never happen in my lifetime but the AO badly needs to be moved in the calendar also

Docking prize money is fine but is completely ignoring the elephant in the room. The major issue in first round slam matches are retirements mid-match as well as blatant tanks. Very few actually withdraw completely.

When would you move AO to? I quite like it in January. I lived in Melbourne for a few years and it was the perfect time for it. Great weather, just after Christmas, around the time of Australia Day. The city is in party mode that time of year. Great buzz about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Chivito550 wrote:
    When would you move AO to? I quite like it in January. I lived in Melbourne for a few years and it was the perfect time for it. Great weather, just after Christmas, around the time of Australia Day. The city is in party mode that time of year. Great buzz about the place.

I think it used to be in December.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think it used to be in December.

It was moved because most players didn't bother coming to play it when it was in December. January is also summer holidays in Australia so it means better crowd numbers. Moving to February could mean reduced crowds, but you never know.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Azarenka has separated from both her coach and fitness coach, meaning it's looking likely the Australian Open is off the table and this custody battle is going to rage on.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Overseas ballot for Wimbledon 2018 open now, don't forget!

• Advertisement

Marion Bartoli has bizarrely announced a comeback, will return for Miami next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Didn't she retire really randomly at the time? Like mid tournament in a US open warm up?

I'm trying my best to not to be cynical here..!

She retired in Cincinnati after losing in the second round to Halep. It didn't seem suspicious to me, her career looked like it was starting to wind down anyway. She had been in terrible form throughout most of 2013, with Wimbledon the obvious exception. Whilst I'd be reluctant to call any grand slam win a fluke, she was extraordinarily lucky with her draw, Sloane Stephens was the highest seed she faced. She was never going to come anywhere near close to emulating Wimbledon again, she claimed that she was in pain every day, so why not go out on a high. Obviously I can't say whether or not she was actually doping, but nothing about her abrupt retirement seemed suspicious to me.

Yeah I'll fully admit I wouldn't be as clued in to the wta so wasn't fully sure as to the circumstances at the time

Obviously we'll never know either way though, so I didn't really mean to open a can of worms!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She retired in Cincinnati after losing in the second round to Halep. It didn't seem suspicious to me, her career looked like it was starting to wind down anyway. She had been in terrible form throughout most of 2013, with Wimbledon the obvious exception. Whilst I'd be reluctant to call any grand slam win a fluke, she was extraordinarily lucky with her draw, Sloane Stephens was the highest seed she faced. She was never going to come anywhere near close to emulating Wimbledon again, she claimed that she was in pain every day, so why not go out on a high. Obviously I can't say whether or not she was actually doping, but nothing about her abrupt retirement seemed suspicious to me.

I don't recall the run that well to her Wimbledon title, but I recall Flipkens been absolutely hopeless in the semi final, occasion got to her would be an understatement.

People think Ryb bottled it against Gabby at Wimbledon this year....she was Federer at his peak compared to Flipkens.:pac:

• Advertisement

Bartoli was very sick for a while there too. I remember people speculating she had an eating disorder for a while and then she posted pictures of herself in hospital hooked up to machines and drips. Not sure what it was in the end but it was pretty serious for a while. She looks much healthier of late.

Lisicki had an absolute meltdown in the final too

As grand slams go it was the softest you could ever imagine.

Not that she'll give a toss and fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Her Wimbly was a cakewalk and I'm sure she'll never see a GS final again (the field has improved) but it'll be interesting to see how she does with her comeback. I was really rooting for Lisicki in that final but Sabine was having one of her non red lining days.

New look Irish Davis Cup team to face Denmark in February. James McGee isn't on it, this article mentions he hasn't played since losing in the US Open qualies and he's apparently taking a break from tennis, which I didn't know.

New season begins a week from next Monday!

Her retirement was as abrupt as Flojos after the Seoul 1988 Olympics. I'd be suspicious of her, but this is tennis, and most journalists and supporters of the sport prefer to keep their heads in the sand rather than ask the difficult questions.

She could very well be clean, and I hope she is, but if this happened in cycling, people would be asking questions straight away. Why do tennis followers not seem to care about the elephant in the room?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Her retirement was as abrupt as Flojos after the Seoul 1988 Olympics. I'd be suspicious of her, but this is tennis, and most journalists and supporters of the sport prefer to keep their heads in the sand rather than ask the difficult questions.

She could very well be clean, and I hope she is, but if this happened in cycling, people would be asking questions straight away. Why do tennis followers not seem to care about the elephant in the room?

Because their favourite players would have a lot less grand slam titles, that's why.

Again, Bartoli's retirement just didn't seem that surprising to me. She had nothing really to play on for, imo? Also Flavia Pennetta retired in more or less the same fashion and nobody said a word about that.

Because their favourite players would have a lot less grand slam titles, that's why.

Again, Bartoli's retirement just didn't seem that surprising to me. She had nothing really to play on for, imo? Also Flavia Pennetta retired in more or less the same fashion and nobody said a word about that.

Yeh, Pennetta is another example of tennis journalists not asking questions. Journeywoman singles tennis player, reaches the top at mature age after years of not really being a serious contender, then swiftly retires when she eventually wins a major.

Again, could well be clean, but in sports like athletics and cycling, when such a thing happens, journalists and fans question it.

A question is not an accusation.

But you do not see questions in tennis.

From what I remember the suspicion came from the fact she retired so abruptly during a masters event a fortnight out from a major. I mean why travel to north America in the first place?

Agree with chivito though, and there's about as much chance of dan evans winning the calendar slam next year than bartoli ever actually being outed if she did serve a silent ban

Tennis media does tend to have a head in sand and "snowflake" element to at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Chivito550 wrote: »

The only thing really surprising about Bartolli's retirement at the time was that she didn't do it after Wimbledon. She had been struggling with injuries for a while, and everything just aligned for her in Wimbledon. There was nothing suspicious about it, she had one good tournament and reverted back to normal. That's not how PEDs work. Same with Pennetta. She was always a dangerous player, and a former top 10 player. Everything just aligned for her in that US Open. Why wouldn't she retire? She hadn't suddenly become a dominant player, it was a one-off tournament (again, not how PEDs work). Why not retire at the top, especially when you know there's not much chance of you ever getting there again!

Yes, everything aligned for Pennetta at the US Open and it was already by far her strongest slam. She'd got to the QF's three times and the SF's once as well. Nothing suspicious, and a bit of a lazy accusation.

I'd be more inclined to look at players who had struggled for years with their fitness and suddenly became unstoppable, tireless forces, as well as those who take months out of the game for alleged injuries and then come back stronger than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

This year has soured me on the sport and it’s current state, have hardly watched all year. I’m not buying any of it.

Hard to believe it's less than a month to the next slam

Nadal pulled out of Brisbane, given he generally overplays this has to be a concern for his AO chances.

The noises coming from Murray haven't exactly been encouraging either

Unless Djokovic can immediately regain his form, Federer could well have a procession in Melbourne!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Federer could well have a procession in Melbourne!
    Except the last time we saw him he was losing to Goffin... agreed it doesn't look good for Nadal but if Djoker bounces back to top form it won't surprise me at all.

Except the last time we saw him he was losing to Goffin... agreed it doesn't look good for Nadal but if Djoker bounces back to top form it won't surprise me at all.

Very true actually, Goffin completely outplayed him that day. You'd have to imagine Fed will be a lot fresher now though

Either way I'll probably throw a few quid on an Outsider when I see the draw. Given Murray and Djokovic have slipped down the seedings now it's tricky to speculate at the minute, as any dark horses could just end up drawing these in 3rd/4th round

I really hope Murray doesn't rush him comeback, and return just for the sake of the new season. He's not going to win the Australian Open, highly unlikely the French, so in reality Wimbledon should be the long term target. Maybe he's now at the stage where he can start trimming the schedule, and start to focus more on the bigger tournaments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Very true actually, Goffin completely outplayed him that day. You'd have to imagine Fed will be a lot fresher now though

Either way I'll probably throw a few quid on an Outsider when I see the draw. Given Murray and Djokovic have slipped down the seedings now it's tricky to speculate at the minute, as any dark horses could just end up drawing these in 3rd/4th round
    No he didn't outplay him. Federer was missing the lines but a inch or two time and time again, it just wasn't his day. Goffin didn't and deserved to win because of it but Federer wasn't 'completely outplayed'.

In retrospect I think that loss was the most painful one this year as a Fed fan. It would've cast aside any doubt who was the best player of 2017 between himself and Rafa.

Started a 2018 thread as we're not far off and thoughts have clearly already turned towards the new season. ....

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057823858/1/#post105666043

Advertisement