Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How is Roscommon a border county???

Tell a lie or an unproven fact enough and it just becomes the norm with people who don't want to know the truth or couldn't be bothered with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Can we stop with the "security company " nonsense. It's obvious they're a front for the UDA. Like the strike breakers for the mob years ago, goons for hire to launder UDA drug money. They love the chance of a bit of taig bashing. And get paid for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lads, its a Ben Gilroy gig.

The supposed 'problem with the court order' is going to be that it wasn't an original in blue ink, or didn't reference the 1905 constitution to his satisfaction.

We've been here before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It looks like the Loyalist thugs did not get enough of a beating the other night .

Who is continuing to send these thugs in to Evict in Ireland ? Agent Provocateurs ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So the sheriff, responsible for enforcing debt rulings made by the courts of the Irish state, hires private security goons to enforce them?

Yeah, that should clearly be illegal. It should be up to state employees, AKA Gardai, to perform these functions. At no point should any private individual be legally allowed to use this kind of physical violence, that should be the exclusive province of people employed by - and accountable to - the democratic republic, AKA the Irish state.

There are separate courts for civil and criminal matters for a reason. The Guards do not deal with civil issues for a reason.

This is the same all over the world. The police deal with crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The supposed 'problem with the court order' is going to be that it wasn't an original in blue ink, or didn't reference the 1905 constitution to his satisfaction.

We've been here before.

If it was, well and good, we'd have an answer. But for now all that is on show is a KBC letterhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

well then we should have another state force to do it. either way, no private companies.
    Not another state company that'll provide a service... At the cost of 4 times the private sector!

This is one incident. Don't change the system over one case.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

Flanagan needs to get his finger out if its true the security firm are back on the road tonight. Such a powder keg of a situation that has the real potential to blow big. Someone needs to restore calm and get dialogue going again without any imminent threats hanging around in the dark outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Everytime I hear hired goons...

3YkOcnF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tuxy wrote: »
    Massive overlap in IRA members and MI5 agents too. It's far too confusing.

The Provisional MIRA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/dissident-gang-behind-attack-at-roscommon-house-blocked-off-roads-and-planned-escape-across-fields-37635452.html
    It has emerged that the sole motive for the strike by a gang on security guards in the early hours of the morning was to cause serious injury and damage.

Gardaí said the incident could not be treated as an attempt to put a halt to the repossession of the farmhouse

Mr Flanagan condemned the violence that occurred at the house Falsk, Strokestown early on Sunday morning.

He said a Garda investigation is underway and it is important that this can take its course.

Are these people for real? The actions were not an attempt to oppose the repossession? What the hell else might they have been?
    He added: “While I do not wish to comment on any individual case, I wish to stress that violence is never justified.”

But it's totally justified when it's a bunch of private security goons who are going it? Literally no comment from anyone in government when the original violent eviction took place. Hypocrisy at its finest.
    He said that the Gardaí are the sole legitimate guardians of the peace in this State and are charged with upholding the law.

Mr Flanagan said they are required to do this in accordance with the law and if anyone has a complaint about Garda actions “they can and should go to the independent complaints body – GSOC.”

And this is exactly why they - and not private, unaccountable individuals - should be the ones to enforce court orders, civil or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

We've been here before.

The 1905 constitution? Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

awec wrote: »
    There are separate courts for civil and criminal matters for a reason. The Guards do not deal with civil issues for a reason.

This is the same all over the world. The police deal with crime.

Physical violence should be the sole province of accountable state bodies. If private security firms must be involved, force entry and physically assaulting individuals should be off limits to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Don't think I've seen this asked

Are Cabot (or whoever now has the kbc loan) trying to jump Revenue as a creditor.

Assuming they've yet to pay 430k to revenue. Then I assume revenue put a lein on the property.

So are they not first in line to be paid?

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/dissident-gang-behind-attack-at-roscommon-house-blocked-off-roads-and-planned-escape-across-fields-37635452.html

Are these people for real? The actions were not an attempt to oppose the repossession? What the hell else might they have been?

But it's totally justified when it's a bunch of private security goons who are going it? Literally no comment from anyone in government when the original violent eviction took place. Hypocrisy at its finest.

And this is exactly why they - and not private, unaccountable individuals - should be the ones to enforce court orders, civil or otherwise.

Meh. The Gardai, sure they're as bent as the other shower. Hence the march in Castlerea earlier that day with regard to another incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

klaaaz wrote: »
    The family are back in the house as there is no valid court order which means that the eviction last Tuesday was illegal. Rumours abound that the loyalist security company will come back to evict the pensioners once again, local people are gathering up that way to give their support to the vulnerable family.

What age do you become a pensioner in Roscommon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

Just to be clear, as a unionist from the north, but also a centrist democrat who believes above all in democracy is it only security work we who identity as British will be banned from in the United Ireland utopia or will other sectors be off limits? Granted I am only on page 25 of this thread and things may change by the time I have read it through to catch up with this post I make now but at this point people have called the bailiffs loyalist UVF members who should be sliced up and/or hanged simply because one identified as British?? Even if it has come out by page 125 off this thread they were actually all former members of the shankill butcher's the fact that so many bigots could assume so much and express so much hate from the limited information that one said he was British does not fill me with hope for what would happen to my community in the event of a United Ireland. No doubt a look in the mirror for a bit of self reflection could help some of you who see anyone who identifies as British as somthing that must swing by the neck for seeking employment enforcing Irish law. I just hope no Irish men working in the same sector in the UK suffer the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

RTE news reported it as a repossession on foot of a high court order. Such an order is carried out by the Sheriff and the presence of the Gardai would confirm that it was execution on foot of an order, by the Sheriff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

h2005 wrote: »
    The family are back in the house as there is no valid court order which means that the eviction last Tuesday was illegal. Rumours abound that the loyalist security company will come back to evict the pensioners once again, local people are gathering up that way to give their support to the vulnerable family.

Whenever the **** you feel like it. Sure you don't have to pay for anything down there, so why bother working?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If it is an illegal eviction could the Gardai be found complicit considering they oversaw it all?

If it was an illegal eviction then yes certain members of Ulster Defense Security Ltd. Or whatever they call themselves will be going to prison.

There is a criminal complaint gone in arising from the eviction. I imagine from the retired guard who had his teeth shattered.

Re the Gardai that were present "shure twas private property what could they do"?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

We've been here before.

Ben Gilroy, you mean Ben of the family Gilroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yikes83

Just to be clear, as a unionist from the north, but also a centrist democrat who believes above all in democracy is it only security work we who identity as British will be banned from in the United Ireland utopia or will other sectors be off limits? Granted I am only on page 25 of this thread and things may change by the time I have read it through to catch up with this post I make now but at this point people have called the bailiffs loyalist UVF members who should be sliced up and/or hanged simply because one identified as British?? Even if it has come out by page 125 off this thread they were actually all former members of the shankill butcher's the fact that so many bigots could assume so much and express so much hate from the limited information that one said he was British does not fill me with hope for what would happen to my community in the event of a United Ireland. No doubt a look in the mirror for a bit of self reflection could help some of you who see anyone who identifies as British as somthing that must swing by the neck for seeking employment enforcing Irish law. I just hope no Irish men working in the same sector in the UK suffer the same treatment.
    Absolutely spot on. Please take no notice to the people who throw the Loyalist tag around, they do not represent the majority. Any true Nationalist would have respect for both sides, as bigotry will never lead to a united Ireland.

RTE news reported it as a repossession on foot of a high court order. Such an order is carried out by the Sheriff and the presence of the Gardai would confirm that it was execution on foot of an order, by the Sheriff.

Grand RTE says so. I'll wait for further clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The Indo only puts forward the FFG version of events, they and RTE were forced to report what happened a long time after the event as it was all over social media over the weekend, one video of the eviction amassed 500k views.

Hired loyalist goons are now allowed a free hand to beat pensioners out of their homes, no wonder a large number of locals got upset and raced to the pensioners aid, but apparently the ordinary locals are now "dissidents" according to "sources" in the Indo and RTE! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The Indo only puts forward the FFG version of events, they and RTE were forced to report what happened a long time after the event as it was all over social media over the weekend, one video of the eviction amassed 500k views.

Hired loyalist goons are now allowed a free hand to beat pensioners out of their homes, no wonder a large number of locals got upset and raced to the pensioners aid, but apparently the ordinary locals are now "dissidents" according to "sources" in the Indo and RTE! :rolleyes:
    Oh ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

h2005 wrote: »

Depends how close you live to the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Talk about been paranoid.

Worries me people like you have a vote in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Is it about to kick off again?

https://m.facebook.com/anna.kavanagh.102?fref=nf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Talk about been paranoid.

Worries me people like you have a vote in this country.

Whereas people like you know it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Show us where RTE said there was a court order? There is nothing about it on their website

Advertisement