Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would wish this had been followed up on ........
    Éamon Ó Cuív (Galway West, Fianna Fail)
    Link to this: Individually | In context
    Can the Minister confirm that not one house in this country has been connected to fibre or anything else under his national broadband scheme?
    Denis Naughten (Roscommon-Galway, Independent)
    Link to this: Individually | In context
    That is not true.

How can Naughten say that when the NBP contracts are not even signed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KOR101 wrote: »
    Still puzzled by this.......

, 10% of the premises that have been passed by the Eir contract to date, which is approximately 100,000 properties, have connected to pure fibre and I am told approximately 20% of those 100,000 have connected with the SIRO roll-out. Between 10% and 20% is the rate of connection to pure fibre on foot of the commercial stimulus aspect of the national broadband plan.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-10-04a.339&s=national+broadband+plan#g346

My take on it is he's claiming 10000 properties connected under the eir 300K scheme, 20000 connections for SIRO which he is taking credit for shamelessly, making the average between 10 and 20%.

These figures are in stark contrast with the latest Comreg quarterly report which had a total of 19125 FTTP nationwide. Somebody's figures don't add up.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

My take on it is he's claiming 10000 properties connected under the eir 300K scheme, 20000 connections for SIRO which he is taking credit for shamelessly, making the average between 10 and 20%.

These figures are in stark contrast with the latest Comreg quarterly report which had a total of 19125 FTTP nationwide. Somebody's figures don't add up.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2017
    The problem here is that we know from reports on the other thread that there are certainly a fair few cases of people who are seeing themselves as live, but then finding out when they try to place an order that they are in fact not yet live.

But this could just be Eir incompetence. Chaos not conspiracy, to quote a phrase.

The difference between Eir and SIRO takeup rates and the difference with the Comreg figures at least raise the possibility that there are very sizeable problems with the figures being released by the companies..

The map was updated today. I don't know if they made a mistake but there was quite a small increase in numbers from the last update (~3500). Also some places are still listed as going live on the 4th of October despite having green icons on the new map. I'll give it a few days to see if they rectify the mistakes.

The following places were given due live dates:

1st Nov:

Donegal Greencastle
    Galway Ahascragh
    Galway Carraroe
    Limerick Murroe
    Offaly Edenderry
    Waterford Loskeran
    Wicklow Ashford

8th Nov:

Clare Killaloe
    Clare Scarriff
    Cork Cullen
    Donegal Bunbeg
    Donegal Carrigans
    Donegal Castlefin
    Donegal Fahan
    Donegal Kilmacrenan
    Donegal Narin
    Donegal Newtowncunningham
    Dublin Portmarnock
    Galway Craughwell
    Kerry Cahirciveen
    Kerry Glenbeigh
    Kerry Killorglin
    Kerry Portmagee
    Kildare Carbury
    Kildare Clane
    Kildare Kildangan
    Kildare Kildare
    Kildare Mageney
    Limerick Athea
    Longford Lanesboro
    Longford Longford
    Louth Castlebellingham
    Mayo Belmullet
    Meath Oldcastle
    Meath Tara
    Monaghan Carrickmacross
    Monaghan Emyvale
    Monaghan Glasslough
    Tipperary Dundrum
    Waterford Ferrybank
    Westmeath Athlone
    Wexford Blackwater
    Wexford Hollyfort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

Oldtown in Dublin had no firm date previously, but is now saying "Oct 4th" which is strange obviously, but great if true, and it tallies with Eir's own broadband checker, and their sales staff who have been selling it for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

The tracker has been updated to reflect every delay that an area has suffered since the start of this project in September 2016. Hopefully it is fairly self explanatory, each red cell indicates a delay from the previously stated deadline.

Worryingly in the most recent update on the 2nd of November many areas have been pushed back with a large amount now stating Q4 2018 as their deadline. I believe that this project is unlikely to be completed by December 2018 and this may have knock-on effects on the NBP.

As ever if anyone spots any errors let me know and I'll try to fix them.

Worryingly in the most recent update on the 2nd of November many areas have been pushed back with a large amount now stating Q4 2018 as their deadline. I believe that this project is unlikely to be completed by December 2018 and this may have knock-on effects on the NBP.
    Eir appear to be winning the arm wrestle with the government. But, I don't think it's in their interest that the NBP collapses. Siro are still a threat. Once they have their 500k 50 town project finished, they will have a base for expanding further into rural areas if no one else has got there first.

Eir appear to be winning the arm wrestle with the government. But, I don't think it's in their interest that the NBP collapses. Siro are still a threat. Once they have their 500k 50 town project finished, they will have a base for expanding further into rural areas if no one else has got there first.

I don't believe that it is an intentional stalling on their behalf, I simply believe that they have bitten off more than they can chew. I think it was ridiculously optimistic to have 300000 homes passed by the end of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

I don't believe that it is an intentional stalling on their behalf, I simply believe that they have bitten off more than they can chew. I think it was ridiculously optimistic to have 300000 homes passed by the end of 2018.

Just ridiculous. :D

There was another update to the map today. Most of the November 1st and 8th areas have gone live however a few were delayed. 18260 premises were added in today's numbers. Again there are several areas with pushed back deadlines mainly from the end of '17 into early '18. Only three areas were given (not very precise) due dates:

November:
    Monaghan|Glasslough

December:
    Clare|Ogonnelloe
    Kerry|Portmagee

The tracker has been updated.

• Advertisement

They seem to be running 20k-30k behind their target for premises passed in the Commitment Agreement, but the good news is that they are now very close to achieving the required target per quarter of 31k passed. It will be interesting to see whether they successfully make the jump to 44k in the first two quarters next year.

They seem to be running 20k-30k behind their target for premises passed in the Commitment Agreement, but the good news is that they are now very close to achieving the required target per quarter of 31k passed. It will be interesting to see whether they successfully make the jump to 44k in the first two quarters next year.

They see to be very much behind where they expected to be:

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Suppose the commitment agreement was a sham anyways.

The map was updated yesterday. An extra 2070 premises were added bringing the total to 93614 although this figure is likely on the low side as I am having difficulty obtaining numbers for those urban areas that are also included in the rural project. Also a few areas have been delayed from Q3'17 to Q1'18.

Areas give due dates were:

27th Dec:
    Clare Whitegate

3rd Jan:
    Mayo Kilmaine
    Meath Balrath

10th Jan:
    Clare Kilmihil
    Kildare Rathangan

The tracker has been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭MBSnr

turbbo wrote: »
    They see to be very much behind where they expected to be:

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Suppose the commitment agreement was a sham anyways.

Just looking at those figures it appears that my county, Mayo, has one of the lowest amounts passed ~ 12%. (Based on total passed against Grand Total).

Depressing really. It's not like we are in ADSL2 heaven.
    Donegal has over 55% done.

Poor Tipp though... ~ 4%

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just looking at those figures it appears that my county, Mayo, has one of the lowest amounts passed ~ 12%. (Based on total passed against Grand Total).

Poor Tipp though... ~ 4%

Yes Donegal leads the way currently for number of premises passed. Louth has the highest percentage of planned premises passed with nearly 70% done. What has prompted them to favour certain counties over others I don't know.

Yes Donegal leads the way currently for number of premises passed. Louth has the highest percentage of planned premises passed with nearly 70% done. What has prompted them to favour certain counties over others I don't know.

It more than frustrates me that a village (approx 60 houses) that already had FTTC (from the exchange ~ 70Mb+ speeds) was prioritised for FTTH over a village that has ADSL1 and 200+ houses.

Interestingly Éamon Ó Cuív has close ties to that village with FTTH I'm told. Probably purely coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The map is showing random houses as enabled in an area, guessing bad data?
    436855.jpg

It more than frustrates me that a village (approx 60 houses) that already had FTTC (from the exchange ~ 70Mb+ speeds) was prioritised for FTTH over a village that has ADSL1 and 200+ houses.

Interestingly mon Cuhas close ties to that village with FTTH I'm told. Probably purely coincidence.

Most likely a coincidence alright ;)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    The map is showing random houses as enabled in an area, guessing bad data?
    436855.jpg

Has to be. It makes no sense otherwise.

Poor Tipp though... ~ 4%

Yeah noticed that Tipp was way behind during the summer - Donegal as usual is well serviced - well squeaky wheel and all that.

• Advertisement

The map was updated yesterday. The following areas have been given due live dates:

24th Jan:

Cork Glengarriff
    Galway Costello
    Galway Rosmuc
    Meath Ashbourne

7th Feb:

Carlow Carlow
    Cavan Belturbet
    Clare Corofin
    Clare Kilmihil
    Clare Sixmilebridge
    Cork Allihies
    Cork Castlemartyr
    Cork Castletownbere
    Cork Cobh
    Cork Knocknagree
    Cork Mallow
    Galway Spiddal
    Kerry Ardfert
    Kerry Ballyferriter
    Kerry Caragh Lake
    Kerry Ventry
    Limerick Hospital
    Longford Clondra
    Louth Collon
    Meath Newtown
    Waterford Annestown
    Waterford Dunmore East
    Waterford Tallow
    Westmeath Multyfarnham
    Wexford Oulart
    Wicklow Aughrim
    Wicklow Avoca

14th Feb:

Cavan Blacklion
    Clare Mullagh
    Cork Ballycotton
    Cork Buttevant
    Donegal Muff
    Dublin Swords
    Kildare Coolcarrigan
    Meath Drumconrath
    Monaghan Castleblayney
    Monaghan Inniskeen
    Tipperary Carrick-On-Suir
    Wicklow Kiltegan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

According to the last post Hospital Co. Limerick is live on the 7th of February. But I saw a couple of connections on approach road from the Limerick direction last week. The main cables and splice boxes were installed during the final months of 17.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    According to the last post Hospital Co. Limerick is live on the 7th of February. But I saw a couple of connections on approach road from the Limerick direction last week. The main cables and splice boxes were installed during the final months of 17.

I only post what the map data says. There does seem to be some disconnect with what is on the map and what is happening on the ground.

I only post what the map data says. There does seem to be some disconnect with what is on the map and what is happening on the ground.

Unfortunately for me, the lack of Mayo map updates and there being virtually no physical Mayo updates on the ground is surprisingly accurate....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The map was updated yesterday. The following areas have been given due live dates:

http://www.fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ isn't showing this is it?

Waiting nervously to see the overall figure for the tracker update after last month's disappointment. It's probably too early to see any effect from the new owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Plenty of work going on in my area of Caragh Lake (Kerry) -- Fibre splice boxes were fitted/being fitted to poles in the area currently (splice box outside my house was fitted about 2 weeks ago) .. so the dates for my area would seem possible for sure ..

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    http://www.fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ isn't showing this is it?

No. That is done separately but the underlying data that it uses was changed yesterday. I expect they will do fibrerollout today sometime.

Waiting nervously to see the overall figure for the tracker update after last month's disappointment. It's probably too early to see any effect from the new owners.

Sorry I should have said. The tracker has been updated. An extra 5190 premises were passed with only one area delayed (Nenagh in Tipperary). The large amount of areas due in the next three weeks is also encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

24th Jan:

Galway Costello

That one has been live quite a while. There's plenty of FTTH connections from it installed already.

/M

Advertisement