Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭digiman

I know this is a rural focused tracker but is there anyway to track their urban rollout?

My house in an urban area is recently passed and I’ve just ordered!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

digiman wrote: »
    I know this is a rural focused tracker but is there anyway to track their urban rollout?

My house in an urban area is recently passed and I’ve just ordered!!

Not directly. You would have to subtract the planned rural number from the published live number so for example Letterkenny, which seems to be the largest deployment, has 6530 premises passed with 748 rural. Even this though is not foolproof as they seem to be mopping up premises that had <30Mb, which may or may not be urban, as well as extending the rural parts in certain areas.

I have it on good authority that as of 27/3/2018 there were 168454 premises passed by FTTH in total nationwide. The difficulty is that there is no way of knowing how many are urban and how many rural.

I know you are in the industry so would be aware of builds taking place but did eir communicate with you at all about the FTTH availability? Were there any letters or salespersons sent?

I don't know why they don't promote the service more. I believe they only made the rural map because the Department made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭digiman

I know you are in the industry so would be aware of builds taking place but did eir communicate with you at all about the FTTH availability? Were there any letters or salespersons sent?

I don't know why they don't promote the service more. I believe they only made the rural map because the Department made them.

No advertising of any kind so far that I have seen anyway, it is surprising. I had contacts that were able to advise me when it was ready to order but then again it only went eligible for order this week so plenty of time for the sales people to come knocking to drop some flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

The map was updated on Friday. The following areas have been given due dates:

21st March:

Clare Doonbeg
    Donegal Glencolumbkille

4th April:

Donegal Killygordon
    Galway Ardrahan
    Tipperary Nenagh

11th April:

Dublin Rush
    Kilkenny Thomastown
    Mayo Knockmore
    Wexford Killanne

Unfortunately several areas were pushed back. Look for the red cells under March 2018 to see them.

The tracker has been updated.

There is a new sheet entitled "Extra Premises" added to the tracker. It contains areas where Openeir have passed more premises than were due in their exchange timeline. The Extra Premises total is not included in the overall total as I don't believe these premises are part of the agreement with the government.

As ever if you spot any errors let me know.

Just called Eir today. While FTTH is showing as available in Ardrahan from April 4th, the date on their system is May 2nd. No problem at all with this, but just letting people know the kind of time differences between one and the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hespy wrote: »
    Just called Eir today. While FTTH is showing as available in Ardrahan from April 4th, the date on their system is May 2nd. No problem at all with this, but just letting people know the kind of time differences between one and the other.

Not all segments get enabled at the same time. 4. April would be the date for the first cluster and people get enabled in stages from there then.

Airwire has a line checker at https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail that will give you out the actual date, it's available at, if OpenEIR has provided the providers with that information.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyone have Airwire.ie as their FTTH provider? I like the option of being able to buy a package with a larger data cap instead of having the Eir's 1TB limit worry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Anyone have Airwire.ie as their FTTH provider? I like the option of being able to buy a package with a larger data cap instead of having the Eir's 1TB limit worry

I think Airwire is only available to Eir/Siro FTTH premises in select western counties. Not sure about Dublin, Meath and Kildare etc.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think Airwire is only available to Eir/Siro FTTH premises in select western counties. Not sure about Dublin, Meath and Kildare etc.

Not correct.

SIRO: Athlone, Ennis, Limerick and Portlaoise.
    Soon going live: Carrick-On-Shannon, Celbridge, Galway, Kilcock, Leixlip, Longford, Maynooth, Roscommon, Shannon and Sligo.

Matter of fact, Sligo is only 4-6 weeks away for SIRO.

OpenEIR: nationwide, but can be selective. We have OpenEIR interconnects in Galway, Ennis, Athlone, Dublin and soon Sligo and Fermoy. We do have customers as far south as Dungarvan and Fermoy and as far north as Sligo currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not correct.

SIRO: Athlone, Ennis, Limerick and Portlaoise.
    Soon going live: Carrick-On-Shannon, Celbridge, Galway, Kilcock, Leixlip, Longford, Maynooth, Roscommon, Shannon and Sligo.

Matter of fact, Sligo is only 4-6 weeks away for SIRO.

OpenEIR: nationwide, but can be selective. We have OpenEIR interconnects in Galway, Ennis, Athlone, Dublin and soon Sligo and Fermoy. We do have customers as far south as Dungarvan and Fermoy and as far north as Sligo currently.

sounds great, good to see expansion taking place all over the country.

I checked the availability checker for myself on Airwires website and I am not passing, but the reason it is not passing is because my Eircode still does not pass due to some OpenEir database error. I have Eir FTTH over a year now as it passes using phone number. All my neighbours are passing however on Airwire's website.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I checked the availability checker for myself on Airwires website and I am not passing, but the reason it is not passing is because my Eircode still does not pass due to some OpenEir database error. I have Eir FTTH over a year now as it passes using phone number. All my neighbours are passing however on Airwire's website.

The underlying data is based on what OpenEIR provide us with. So yes, if they never fixed the mismatch between your address key and the eircode, then there's very little we can do.

We actually manually rectify known culprits and are working hard on optimizing the data for VDSL more accurately.

You're not the only one though. The Eircode in OpenEIRs database for our support office is 2 streets off. They wouldn't be able to find us either, if we were able to get FTTH. And our registered address doesn't even have an Eircode, plus was left out, as it's 100m of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

How frequently does the map update I wonder?

It used to be every month or so. It now seems to take at least 2 months.

/M

The map data was updated today. 18960 premises were added since the last update bringing the total to 132671.

Only two areas were give due dates:

30th May: Ballyheigue (Kerry)

13th June: Kilbride (Meath)

Unfortunately there were lots of areas whose deadlines got pushed back. These can be seen on the tracker in red under the May '18 column.

Bugger, seems my eircode wasn’t included after all.

Seems I’m stuck in the NBP despite what Airwire were told. :(
    The map data was updated today. 18960 premises were added since the last update bringing the total to 132671.

Unfortunately there were lots of areas whose deadlines got pushed back. These can be seen on the tracker in red under the May '18 column.

AidenL wrote: »

Where are you getting that idea from? This is only listing areas that are currently live or due live in the next few weeks. Ballyshannon is still due in Q3 - Q4 2018.

I put my eircode in the checker? I think Martin said my eircode would show as available on the next map update?
    Where are you getting that idea from? This is only listing areas that are currently live or due live in the next few weeks. Ballyshannon is still due in Q3 - Q4 2018.

I put my eircode in the checker? I think Martin said my eircode would show as available on the next map update?

This is separate to the file that is sent to ISPs which is what the Airwire checker uses. Martin will post when he updates his own sites checker. I have nothing to do with that.

My effort is really about tracking total numbers and delays.

Have they put the fibre on poles with distribution boxes in your area?

Confusion on my part then!

Nope, no fibre installed on the poles as yet, just more civil in the past week.
    This is separate to the file that is sent to ISPs which is what the Airwire checker uses. Martin will post when he updates his own sites checker. I have nothing to do with that.

My effort is really about tracking total numbers and delays.

Have they put the fibre on poles with distribution boxes in your area?

Confusion on my part then!

Nope, no fibre installed on the poles as yet, just more civil in the past week.

As far as I know the ISP file is updated weekly. It sounds highly unlikely that your Eircode would appear in the next update with so much work still to do.

You're being impatient. The map data does not necessarily change to include your home until the last second, when the roll-out goes live. It might not be listed at all in the map.

The list we get from OpenEIR can differ quite a bit, especially when it's cases that are outside of the original plan.

• Advertisement

Thanks Martin. I’m not impatient, just confused! :D

I thought I’d appear in the map this time around, my mistake.

I’ll stay quiet till I at least see fibre on poles.
    You're being impatient. The map data does not necessarily change to include your home until the last second, when the roll-out goes live. It might not be listed at all in the map.

The list we get from OpenEIR can differ quite a bit, especially when it's cases that are outside of the original plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Tipperary could really go with some love :(

Tipperary could really go with some love :(

Yes, the discrepancy between the haves and have-nots is quite stark. Tipperary, Laois, Leitrim and Mayo all lagging. The East coast is definitely getting preferential treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Hi MartinL Im think off getting Airwire in october have Eir FTTH at moment.I still have my dsl line active for my phone will I be able to port my phone number over to FTTH line and keep my phone number thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

I'm also thinking of Airwire. Any one with them for FTTH? All I can find online are reviews about their wireless service.... mostly negative....

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi MartinL Im think off getting Airwire in october have Eir FTTH at moment.I still have my dsl line active for my phone will I be able to port my phone number over to FTTH line and keep my phone number thanks.

Yes, that should not be a problem.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^

I'm also thinking of Airwire. Any one with them for FTTH? All I can find online are reviews about their wireless service.... mostly negative....

When you look at reviews online, please check how old they are and how many you actually find compared to how much coverage the business has.

You will find, that the amount of bad reviews are fairly minimal compared to our customer base. Good reviews are generally far and few about, because customers, that have no problems, don't need to go out chatting about it on forums etc.

I'll leave it to others to tell you about their experience with our service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

When you look at reviews online, please check how old they are and how many you actually find compared to how much coverage the business has.

You will find, that the amount of bad reviews are fairly minimal compared to our customer base. Good reviews are generally far and few about, because customers, that have no problems, don't need to go out chatting about it on forums etc.

I'll leave it to others to tell you about their experience with our service.

Thanks, I realise that positive reviews are not normally on online forums. It'll be nice to get someone coming back with their experience of FTTH with yourselves. Digiweb use Trustpilot so potential customers can evaluate their support and satisfaction levels. Perhaps having some review method like that would help your future customers?

Mostly the advice I've read is avoid Eir, as if it goes wrong, it's a nightmare to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Galway	Moycullen	Fully Live	Q1'17		Early/Mid 17			Q1/Q2'17	240		470	80

OE are up to date on this, Eir are still on an old APQ. Address I'm working with will go from 4Mb to 150Mb - wont know what hit em.

ED E wrote: »
    OE are up to date on this, Eir are still on an old APQ. Address I'm working with will go from 4Mb to 150Mb - wont know what hit em.

There are a few in that area, that have been oddball ones. Listed as no ports available or long delays with licenses from CoCo.

But Eir retail being out of date on the APQ is quite common. They only seem to update once or twice a month now.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Good news for those worried about the new owners and the pace of the rural rollout. Looks like the urban investment will only happen after the rural one.

Eir, which announced plans last week to invest a further €1bn in its network infrastructure, has only a 20% share of Dublin’s retail broadband market.

The investment plan was sanctioned by Eir’s new majority owner, the French investment group NJJ Capital, and will include a significant upgrade of its fibre network in the city.

Carolan Lennon, Eir’s new chief executive, has told The Sunday Times that the upgrade of the urban network is likely to start later next year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/eir-scrums-down-to-boost-its-broadband-across-dublin-kh83v85v0

Advertisement