Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Options
  • 14-05-2017 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

I have redesigned the rural FTTH spreadsheet that is used for tracking premises passed. It is now possible to track the number of premises passed by month from the beginning of the project. Hopefully this will give a clearer view of the project's progression.

The new spreadsheet contains six sheets. The first contains the Overall detail for the country. Each subsequent sheet contains the counties divided alphabetically.

They are:
    • C
    • D - G
    • K - L
    • M - S
    • T - W

If anyone has any questions or suggestions post them here and I will try to answer. I will post the monthly updates in this thread as things can get lost among the discussion in the other large one. I hope people find this useful.

Openeir rural FTTH project tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭John mac

Great job. very clear and concise..

would it be possible to make the county manes on the overall tab, hyperlink to the corresponding tab. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

John mac wrote: »
    Great job. very clear and concise..

would it be possible to make the county manes on the overall tab, hyperlink to the corresponding tab. ?

Yes I'll do that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Nicely done Navi.

It is a pity that some exchanges that are known to be at least partially done have no figures available for them.

I believe that Ennis is likely completed (420 rural out of 1,880) and there are large numbers in Tralee (750) and Kilkenny (640) for which figures are not available.

The lack of figures for such exchanges (there are a few) must be affecting the overall accuracy of the document.

Unfortunately I have no idea from where one might get correct figures to help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭plodder

Very useful spreadsheet. I notice also that while the official Openeir map was updated recently, the Eircode lookup does not seem to have been updated with the same information. For example, I was moved from Spring/Summer to Summer/Autumn of this year on the map, but the Eircode lookup still says first half of the year. I suppose it's possible that could actually be right, but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't find the eircode information much uptodate, still says first half of 2017 for me, even tho I have FTTH since April 8th!.

• Advertisement

The map was updated today. Here are the areas that have been given scheduled due dates:

Donegal|Ardara|28th Jun
    Donegal |Burtonport| 5th Jul
    Donegal |Carrick| 28th Jun
    Donegal |Clonmany| 28th Jun
    Donegal |Kilcar| 21st Jun
    Donegal |Kincasslagh| 28th Jun
    Dublin |Shankill| 5th Jul
    Dublin |Skerries| 14th Jun
    Galway |Ballyconneely| 28th Jun
    Galway |Castleblakney| 5th Jul
    Kildare |Maynooth| 5th Jul
    Louth| Louth| 28th Jun
    Louth| Omeath| 5th Jul
    Meath |Julianstown| 5th Jul
    Waterford |Bonmahon| 28th Jun
    Westmeath |Collinstown| 5th Jul
    Wexford |Killurin| 5th Jul

The tracker has been updated also. It was a disappointing month with only 3040 extra premises being passed. Lots of areas actually had the number of homes reduced from previous months.

As it stands, by my calculations, there are 37570 premises passed. This is excluding urban areas that are part of the rural project.

There are also 11 areas listed as live that do not have a number of premises given. I will try to find a way to obtain these numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

3040 - wow! My predictions that the 300k don't have a chance to be finished by eoy 2018, may come true. Not exactly delighted about it either.

damienirel wrote: »
    3040 - wow! My predictions that the 300k don't have a chance to be finished by eoy 2018, may come true. Not exactly delighted about it either.

As it stands I'd tend to agree with you. The pickup in pace doesn't seem to have materialised. The fact that the penalty clause, which eir will face if they miss the deadline, was never published makes me suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

The map was updated today. Here are the areas that have been given scheduled due dates:

Donegal|Ardara|28th Jun
    Donegal |Burtonport| 5th Jul
    Donegal |Carrick| 28th Jun
    Donegal |Clonmany| 28th Jun
    Donegal |Kilcar| 21st Jun
    Donegal |Kincasslagh| 28th Jun
    Dublin |Shankill| 5th Jul
    Dublin |Skerries| 14th Jun
    Galway |Ballyconneely| 28th Jun
    Galway |Castleblakney| 5th Jul
    Kildare |Maynooth| 5th Jul
    Louth| Louth| 28th Jun
    Louth| Omeath| 5th Jul
    Meath |Julianstown| 5th Jul
    Waterford |Bonmahon| 28th Jun
    Westmeath |Collinstown| 5th Jul
    Wexford |Killurin| 5th Jul

The tracker has been updated also. It was a disappointing month with only 3040 extra premises being passed. Lots of areas actually had the number of homes reduced from previous months.

As it stands, by my calculations, there are 37570 premises passed. This is excluding urban areas that are part of the rural project.

There are also 11 areas listed as live that do not have a number of premises given. I will try to find a way to obtain these numbers.
    http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

This link says there's 50,000+ yellow line live?!

Danny Boy wrote: »

It says "fibre broadband" not FTTH which leads me to believe that they may be including premises passed by FTTC in this number. As I said above my figures are not complete but I am unsure if I am​ out by 12500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I'm disappointed there is no definite live dates for 2 Limerick exchanges. Crossagalla has Fibre lines up since the last days of April and early May. I don't think the rollout is completed yet. Fibre lines are being rolled out in the Inch St. Lawernce area and this is about the third week of work. Both exchanges are still stuck on the Summer/Autumn on OpenEir rollout maps. Keep up the good work navi.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I'm disappointed there is no definite live dates for 2 Limerick exchanges. Crossagalla has Fibre lines up since the last days of April and early May. I don't think the rollout is completed yet. Fibre lines are being rolled out in the Inch St. Lawernce area and this is about the third week of work. Both exchanges are still stuck on the Summer/Autumn on OpenEir rollout maps. Keep up the good work navi.

if you check ->
    https://c12ad0aaddf547e7aa52-04361240f0fcddabb02028a259afe028.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/Rural-Exchange-Timeline-24-April-2017.pdf

Both those exchanges are down for the first half 2017 - so it looks as if there is a lot more work to be done to finish those areas, hence the sort of disclaimer at the top of that doc. "Please note for operational reasons the timings may change."

There was another update to the map today. The following areas got a due live date of the 19th of July:

Donegal Lifford
    Kerry Dingle
    Kerry Lixnaw
    Wexford Duncormick

There were also another ~3600 extra premises passed taking the total for the month to 6658.

The tracker has been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Danny Boy wrote: »

It says "fibre broadband" not FTTH which leads me to believe that they may be including premises passed by FTTC in this number.  As I said above my figures are not complete but I am unsure if I am out by 12500.
    Hi Navi, well done on the tracker...Isn't there so many percent of the 300,000 only getting fttc as they would still be getting 30/6 and above speedwise, and making the 50k figure?
    had a look at the new map..can't work out if its better or worse than te old one..only the completed areas are coming up on it re the colour code..

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Hi Navi, well done on the tracker...Isn't there so many percent of the 300,000 only getting fttc as they would still be getting 30/6 and above speedwise, and making the 50k figure?
    had a look at the new map..can't work out if its better or worse than te old one..only the completed areas are coming up on it re the colour code..

Thanks. There is provision for a certain percentage of premises to get FTTC as you say. However it is unclear whether these homes have been connected yet. As far as I know they were never publicly identified so it is hard to say if the 50000 number includes them.

My numbers don't include urban areas in the project and also 11 areas that Openeir have not published numbers for. It is conceivable that they could be close to 50000 taking these into consideration.

I've managed to get numbers for the urban areas that are currently live and also for the 11 areas that are live but have no numbers published. In total it comes to about 4000 extra premises. I've updated the tracker. The total now stands at 45097.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fair play Navi.

Aye savage job Navi.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

Sorry the other tracker has been consuming most of my time. I'll try to get the map up to date soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Apparently according to OpenEir rollout map Inch St Lawernce exchange area has some live premises north of Ballyneety village.

Self congratulations again...would be fine if it was true...

https://twitter.com/carolan_lennon/status/882630106719584259

..... and SIRO are claiming 85,000, most of which apparently have FTTC or other similar product available to them.

Regardless delays or inflated figures, I think openeir are the more likely to reach those of us 'in the sticks'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-07-13a.2728&s=national+broadband+plan#g2731.r

My Department has concluded that eir has met its target to pass 40,000 premises by the end of Quarter 1 of this year. My Department understands that approximately 3,350 of these premises will be served by an eVDSL connection. Initial indications are that eir has also met its Quarter 2 target. A formal evaluation of eir's Quarter 2 performance will be conducted by my Department shortly.

KOR101 wrote: »
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-07-13a.2728&s=national+broadband+plan#g2731.r

My Department has concluded that eir has met its target to pass 40,000 premises by the end of Quarter 1 of this year. My Department understands that approximately 3,350 of these premises will be served by an eVDSL connection. Initial indications are that eir has also met its Quarter 2 target. A formal evaluation of eir's Quarter 2 performance will be conducted by my Department shortly.

Interesting. I wonder how many VDSL connections are included in the Quarter 2 target. I would not have been counting them so it would explain the discrepancy between my numbers and eir's claims.

It's also noteworthy that the Minister completely ignored the first question.

To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the number of houses that have been connected by a company (details supplied) under its commercial agreement with the Government; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

I think Timothy Dooley should keep asking the same question until answered.

KOR101 wrote: »
    It's also noteworthy that the Minister completely ignored the first question.

To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the number of houses that have been connected by a company (details supplied) under its commercial agreement with the Government; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

I think Timothy Dooley should keep asking the same question until answered.

Why? A direct answer to that would be useless except for their competitors.

What would be good to know is how many connections have been made from the total of those who have requested a connection.

What would be good to know is how many connections have been made from the total of those who have requested a connection.

Not sure what you mean there by "request a connection" - there is nothing to stop people requesting connections that aren't available to them and they how does that get recorded? Surely that would be at Eirs discretion. And as far as I can see Eir's numbers are always grossly exaggerated to make them look good.
    Naughten might get his fingers burnt on this rollout, I'm hoping Eir pick up pace but it's really hard to see those deadlines being met. The inclusion of the eVDSL homes is a bit of stunt.

• Advertisement

What would be interesting to know is not just the number of premises 'passed' but also the number of premises where an order can actually be placed and fulfilled within the agreed 3 weeks. There is no milestone for that bit of data, but there is a reporting requirement on Eir under the contract for it. The reviews were originally going to be published and we could then have seen, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Eir are perfectly entitled to demonstrate their commitment to providing a service on a purely commercial basis by 'passing' fibre along the road. But the key metric for potential customers is being able to place an order.

Advertisement