Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KOR101 wrote: »
    What would be interesting to know is not just the number of premises 'passed' but also the number of premises where an order can actually be placed and fulfilled within the agreed 3 weeks. There is no milestone for that bit of data, but there is a reporting requirement on Eir under the contract for it. The reviews were originally going to be published and we could then have seen, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Eir are perfectly entitled to demonstrate their commitment to providing a service on a purely commercial basis by 'passing' fibre along the road. But the key metric for potential customers is being able to place an order.

and what I pointed out is that the silly question you quoted would not get any useful information even if it was answered.
    Why would anyone expect a company to make public commercially sensitive data?
    But then I expect little else from Mr. Dooley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The map was updated this morning. An extra 18120 premises were added since the last update at the end of June. There are also 17 exchanges listed as live that have no number of premises given so expect the total to increase somewhat when the visual map gets changed. As it stands the total is 63217 premises passed.

There were only four areas given an upcoming due date. They are:

New Ross (Wexford) - 23rd August

St Johnston (Donegal) - 6th September
    Kilconly (Galway) - 6th September
    Summerhill (Meath) -6th September

Foulksmills in Wexford has a date of 2nd August listed so I don't know what has happened there.

The tracker has been updated. I'll try to get the alternative map up to date later.

Its not looking good ...... at the present rate they will be well short by end of 2018.
    We can only hope that a lot of preparatory work is done to make the roll out speed up as it progresses ..... it doesn't look that way from the 'outside' :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Its not looking good ...... at the present rate they will be well short by end of 2018.
    We can only hope that a lot of preparatory work is done to make the roll out speed up as it progresses ..... it doesn't look that way from the 'outside' :(

they seem to be only averaging 5,000-6,000 premises passing per month, and even at that we're not sure if those are inflated, hence the amount of people here complaining about passing and no fibre sitting outside their homes.At the current rate it will take them till mid 2019 unless there really is something were not seeing.

Gonzo wrote: »
    they seem to be only averaging 5,000-6,000 premises passing per month, and even at that we're not sure if those are inflated, hence the amount of people here complaining about passing and no fibre sitting outside their homes.At the current rate it will take them till mid 2019 unless there really is something were not seeing.

I can well understand people not seeing work in one part of an exchange area. Particularly outside urban areas the exchanges take in areas that do not seem at all reasonable now ..... but probably were at the time they were built. So it would be easy not to notice work at the other side of the exchange limit.
    I am not saying that is what is happening .... only in some cases it is a possibility.

At the present rate I really cannot see how they can meet their targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

The map appears to have been updated again, my house was blue this afternoon and now it's turned yellow. Surely this time it really is 'live'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

So on the Open Eir rollout map which earlier stated my exchange was forecast to got live by winter 2018.
    is now showing - live with 150 premises passed I've contacted Open Eir to explain, but I'm not getting a response.
    BTW there has been NO visible activity on lines in the exchange area.
    Now this is either a complete mess of a map or they are lying? Anybody see anything equally as stupid in the last map update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

turbbo wrote: »
    So on the Open Eir rollout map which earlier stated my exchange was forecast to got live by winter 2018.
    is now showing - live with 150 premises passed I've contacted Open Eir to explain, but I'm not getting a response.
    Now this is either a complete mess of a map or they are lying? Anybody see anything equally as stupid in the last map update?
    I live in Summerhill it got a live date of 6 September but my area not going live until sometime in October going by open Eir.it possible that there is some area live in your area with the rest going live in different months.

rob808 wrote: »
    I live in Summerhill it got a live date of 6 September but my area not going live until sometime in October going by open Eir.it possible that there is some area live in your area with the rest going live in different months.

But a 18 month difference - really? I can get being a month or 2.

It's quite possible that the 150 number is an error. It would not be the first time it has happened. If there is no sign of fibre on the poles, splice boxes or work taking place in your exchange area it is probably safe to assume that it is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

But a 18 month difference - really? I can get being a month or 2.
    There story of neighbors getting FTTH only for next door neighbor waiting months or weeks before install and come down to so many factors.I have feeling that might happen me I hope not but I see come October.

It's quite possible that the 150 number is an error. It would not be the first time it has happened. If there is no sign of fibre on the poles, splice boxes or work taking place in your exchange area it is probably safe to assume that it is wrong.

I'd tend to go with that theory alright. But marking an exchange as live when before it was planned for winter 2018 - surely that update is glaringly wrong - I've contacted Open Eir but haven't heard back from them - could this be a BS update for reaching the 300K, surely it's not that easy for them just make up numbers. Also it's weird that 58 were forecast as part of the 300k now all of a sudden it's 150 - with no activity in the area? Something very suspect about it as in it's not an error more like deliberate lie.

I'd tend to go with that theory alright. But marking an exchange as live when before it was planned for winter 2018 - surely that update is glaringly wrong - I've contacted Open Eir but haven't heard back from them - could this be a BS update for reaching the 300K, surely it's not that easy for them just make up numbers. Also it's weird that 58 were forecast as part of the 300k now all of a sudden it's 150 - with no activity in the area? Something very suspect about it as in it's not an error more like deliberate lie.

The map is more for public information. I believe the contract with the Department specifies that Eircodes of passed premises be provided. I'd err more on the side of human error in the updating process.

The map is more for public information. I believe the contract with the Department specifies that Eircodes of passed premises be provided. I'd err more on the side of human error in the updating process.

hmm I've asked them 3 days ago - no response human error that they're in no rush to fix.

Most likely:

Whoever entered the data into the database made an error ...... updating the wrong exchange.

There is likely a corresponding exchange that is still showing outstanding, where people can connect to a live fibre.

Most likely:

Whoever entered the data into the database made an error ...... updating the wrong exchange.

There is likely a corresponding exchange that is still showing outstanding, where people can connect to a live fibre.

They've responded and they've given a very vague response that sort of denies an error:
    "I'm afraid I'm not in a position to explain the technical design rationale that governs that timeline, or why some areas in close proximity go live before others."
    So they are saying premises closer to the exchange are passing - which doesn't make sense either as FTTH isn't exchange distance dependent, if anything they start work on the areas further out from the exchange and work back in, but no such logic applied here - guess I'm dealing with a drone and getting a clear answer would be like digging for gold. That last map update is complete BS for my exchange area anyways.

They've responded and they've given a very vague response that sort of denies an error:
    "I'm afraid I'm not in a position to explain the technical design rationale that governs that timeline, or why some areas in close proximity go live before others."
    So they are saying premises closer to the exchange are passing - which doesn't make sense either as FTTH isn't exchange distance dependent, if anything they start work on the areas further out from the exchange and work back in, but no such logic applied here - guess I'm dealing with a drone and getting a clear answer would be like digging for gold. That last map update is complete BS for my exchange area anyways.

I do not read that from their response.
    All they are saying is that some houses pass and others in close proximity do not for technical reasons they are not able to provide.

We already knew that.

I do not read that from their response.
    All they are saying is that some houses pass and others in close proximity do not for technical reasons they are not able to provide.

We already knew that.

Yeah maybe you can interpret it that way - but proximity shouldn't be mentioned either way then?

They don't answer what I asked so it's pointless trying to get them to admit an error or explain where the mystery 150 premises are.

The alternative map is now up to date with the recent Openeir data.

Okay got a reply from Eir after taking a screenshot and marking the areas to make the question I was asking clear enough so that a 5 year old would understand! Lo and behold they understood with the picture and were able to answer - answer is comical though - be prepared:

"The map is correct. Smaller exchanges are occasionally fed from larger exchanges and that is the case with X - some smaller subsidiary exchanges are now live and premises in these exchanges are connected to X exchange. It does not affect the numbers we report on as passed or live and that is why the number on the map is 150."

• Advertisement

Okay got a reply from Eir after taking a screenshot and marking the areas to make the question I was asking clear enough so that a 5 year old would understand! Lo and behold they understood with the picture and were able to answer - answer is comical though - be prepared:

"The map is correct. Smaller exchanges are occasionally fed from larger exchanges and that is the case with X - some smaller subsidiary exchanges are now live and premises in these exchanges are connected to X exchange. It does not affect the numbers we report on as passed or live and that is why the number on the map is 150."

Was it eir retail or Openeir that responded to you?

Open Eir

I asked them what exchanges are fed from my local one now - awaiting a response or lack of.
    To me - the map is full of nonsense like this sure if an exchange is fed from another exchange the numbers associated with the feeding exchange should be associated with that exchange not with the feeder, that's why there are a bunch of exchanges exceeding their total forecast number.
    The map is unreadable at the moment as it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I asked them what exchanges are fed from my local one now - awaiting a response or lack of.
    To me - the map is full of nonsense like this sure if an exchange is fed from another exchange the numbers associated with the feeding exchange should be associated with that exchange not with the feeder, that's why there are a bunch of exchanges exceeding their total forecast number.

Subtended exchanges cease to be so once you go NGB/NGA and with number portability your PH num is irrelevant.

ED E wrote: »
    Subtended exchanges cease to be so once you go NGB/NGA and with number portability your PH num is irrelevant.

Sorry ED E by numbers I meant "number of premises passed" not the actual phone numbers. :D

Making the point that if they count a sub-exchange as part of the main exchange and then count again in that sub exchange - they could be doubling the numbers of premises passed - I don't know if they are doing that. But it's not clear how many premises are being passed as part of an exchange at the moment.
    It's a seriously misleading map.

There is another possibility. As Castletroy is a built up area it could be the case that the 150 premises are part of the urban project. It would explain why they don't show up on the map.

Openeir make no distinction between the urban and rural numbers on the map. It makes it extremely difficult to obtain numbers for those urban areas with outskirts included in the rural project.

There is another possibility. As Castletroy is a built up area it could be the case that the 150 premises are part of the urban project. It would explain why they don't show up on the map.

Openeir make no distinction between the urban and rural numbers on the map. It makes it extremely difficult to obtain numbers for those urban areas with outskirts included in the rural project.

No - because the 150 are connected through other exchanges not Castletroy according to the Open Eir rep. If they were local they would be connected directly plus I know there are no FTTH in the urban areas either via Open Eir.

No - because the 150 are connected through other exchanges not Castletroy according to the Open Eir rep. If they were local they would be connected directly plus I know there are no FTTH in the urban areas either via Open Eir.

How do you know? There are 40000 people in the area according to Wikipedia. They couldn't have cabled one estate without your knowledge. Most likely you are being fed misinformation by somebody who does not fully understand your query.

The exchanges rehomed to Castletroy are:
    • Annacotty
    • Castleconnell
    • Crossgalla
    • Murroe
    • O'Briens Bridge

Annacotty and Crossgalla mention FTTH from CTY in the document I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The exchanges rehomed to Castletroy are:
    • Annacotty
    • Castleconnell
    • Crossgalla
    • Murroe
    • O'Briens Bridge

Annacotty and Crossgalla mention FTTH from CTY in the document I've seen.
    My local exchange, Murroe, was wired for fibre from Castletoy in summer 2016. They had a problem with ducting under the railway line at the Annacotty Industrial Estate when running the core fibre, ducting was full I was told at the time.
    FTTC went live this month last year and the rollout of FTTH is underway as I post.

Advertisement