Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Cush wrote: »
    My local exchange, Murroe, was wired for fibre from Castletoy in summer 2016. They had a problem with ducting under the railway line at the Annacotty Industrial Estate when running the core fibre, ducting was full I was told at the time.
    FTTC went live this month last year and the rollout of FTTH is underway as I post.

And when it goes live the numbers will be counted separate to Castletroy I'd imagine as Castleconnell is live and has figures of it's own. I think turboo has been misled and my explanation of the urban premises is the most likely answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

And when it goes live the numbers will be counted separate to Castletroy I'd imagine as Castleconnell is live and has figures of it's own. I think turboo has been misled and my explanation of the urban premises is the most likely answer.

Your explanation sounds far more plausible no doubt, but it is contrary to what the Open Eir rep told me.
    As for understanding the question - I think it's quite simple - where are the 150 premises passed?
    I asked that 3 times and eventually the told me that they(150) were premises connected to other exchanges. I really don't think they would give me that answer if they had 150 premises passed in Castletroy, why would they?

turbbo wrote: »
    Your explanation sounds far more plausible no doubt, but it is contrary to what the Open Eir rep told me.
    As for understanding the question - I think it's quite simple - where are the 150 premises passed?
    I asked that 3 times and eventually the told me they were premises connected to other exchanges. I really don't think they would give me that answer if they had 150 premises passed in Castletroy, why would they?

My guess is that you were dealing with someone who doesn't fully understand the situation. It smacks of an answer given in the hope that you would go away. But you're a tenacious sort!

Unless you get a list of Eircodes out of them I doubt you'll find out where the premises are if they even exist and I can't see them giving you those.

My guess is that you were dealing with someone who doesn't fully understand the situation. It smacks of an answer given in the hope that you would go away. But you're a tenacious sort!

Unless you get a list of Eircodes out of them I doubt you'll find out where the premises are if they even exist and I can't see them giving you those.

As tenacious as I am - it would wear you down, asking them anything that requires more than a generic answer that they copy and paste from some spreadsheet. The eircon of old are still alive and well and are lurking in that map and the responses I've been given.

The Department have posted their version of eir's Q2 performance. They make it 30137 premises passed in Q2 for a total of 70324. I had it at 25407 for Q2 but my numbers are pure FTTH, the Department's numbers include an unknown number of VDSL.

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/latest-news/Pages/Latest-News.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

The Department have posted their version of eir's Q2 performance. They make it 30137 premises passed in Q2 for a total of 70324. I had it at 25407 for Q2 but my numbers are pure FTTH, the Department's numbers include an unknown number of VDSL.

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/latest-news/Pages/Latest-News.aspx
    well 10% of 300k rollout is FTTC and 90% FTTH.

No replies off of Open Eir anymore. Delightful company to deal with. Clarity is the last thing it seems they want.

It has been highlighted to me that eir may be overstating their FTTH numbers to their shareholders in annual reports. For example in the 31st of March report to the Department they claimed 40,114 premises but investors were told 44,00 (page 2), a discrepancy of 10%.

Again in their most recent report on page 68 they state:
    "Continuing the evolution of our network, in September 2015, we rolled out our pilot FTTH program with broadband speeds of up to 1 Gb/s. Our FTTH program has since been launched commercially, and as of 30 June 2017 it passes approximately 120,000 premises across 168 regional communities. We have committed with the government to pass approximately 300,000 rural premises with FTTH by December 2018 with 80,000 of these already passed as at 30 June 2017. A"

This is in contradiction with their June report to the Department which claimed 70,324 premises passed.

It has been highlighted to me that eir may be overstating their FTTH numbers to their shareholders in annual reports. For example in the 31st of March report to the Department they claimed 40,114 premises but investors were told 44,00 (page 2), a discrepancy of 10%.

This is in contradiction with their June report to the Department which claimed 70,324 premises passed.

Yeah shareholders don't read too much into that crapola they tend to look at the accounts € is all that matters not numbers of premises passed. They do tend to BS at every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Repeated in this interview.

“We are now at just over 1.7m homes and businesses passed by fibre. And, just to clarify, we have 80,000 homes and firms passed as part of our rural roll-out. We will be at 101,000 by 30 September – more than a third of the way – moving to complete the 300,000 by December 2018."

“In addition to being on track, some 12,000 homes in rural Ireland are already using our fibre-to-the-home [FTTH] service.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-richard-moat

• Advertisement

The map has been updated. The following areas are due to go live on the 4th of October:

Cork Cloyne
    Dublin Ballyboughal
    Galway Monivea
    Kildare Celbridge
    Mayo Barnatra
    Waterford Ring

An extra 6920 premises were added bringing the total to 71724 although there are some areas listed as live with no numbers given so that total is liable to change somewhat.

The tracker has been updated.

Interesting to note turbbo that Castletroy has gone back to Winter 2018 so I guess your messages had some effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

KOR101 wrote: »
    Repeated in this interview.

“We are now at just over 1.7m homes and businesses passed by fibre. And, just to clarify, we have 80,000 homes and firms passed as part of our rural roll-out. We will be at 101,000 by 30 September – more than a third of the way – moving to complete the 300,000 by December 2018."

“In addition to being on track, some 12,000 homes in rural Ireland are already using our fibre-to-the-home [FTTH] service.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-richard-moat

Anyone have any idea of DENCR method of verifying the numbers on the rollout?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

The have ramping up to do if done in 2018 is the plan. Appears very back loaded going by these numbers.

Jim

The map has been updated. The following areas are due to go live on the 4th of October:

Cork Cloyne
    Dublin Ballyboughal
    Galway Monivea
    Kildare Celbridge
    Mayo Barnatra
    Waterford Ring

An extra 6920 premises were added bringing the total to 71724 although there are some areas listed as live with no numbers given so that total is liable to change somewhat.

The fibre area im in is the 4 of October Summerhill co meath even doh the live date 6 September.

westyIrl wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of DENCR method of verifying the numbers on the rollout?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

The have ramping up to do if done in 2018 is the plan. Appears very back loaded going by these numbers.

Jim

Take them at their word? I doubt they have the manpower to visit the four corners of Ireland checking for cable on poles. Perhaps they could do some spot checking in conjunction with Comreg.

I can't see them making the 2018 deadline myself. Some of the areas listed for the first 100K, originally March 2017 deadline, are still not live. Obviously this is going to have knock-on effects for the NBP.

rob808 wrote: »
    The fibre area im in is the 4 of October Summerhill co meath even doh the live date 6 September.

The initial live date can be any number of premises. Rathoath in Meath went live with 10 premises out of 460.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rob808 wrote: »

Is there not a one month time lapse to allow providers to sell their service before connections are made?

Is there not a one month time lapse to allow providers to sell their service before connections are made?
    That probably it because digiweb said that when there launching this service in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1 and 3 mo for eVDSL.

The alternative map has been updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Cork Cloyne
    Dublin Ballyboughal
    Galway Monivea
    Kildare Celbridge
    Mayo Barnatra
    Waterford Ring

That's good news for me, as they've made a lot of progress here in Oldtown as well. The splitter boxes are up on the poles and the cabling seems to be in place. I was away for a good while, so I missed it happening. I'm on a ducted section - so I guess that means the splitters are underground in that situation?

plodder wrote: »
    That's good news for me, as they've made a lot of progress here in Oldtown as well. The splitter boxes are up on the poles and the cabling seems to be in place. I was away for a good while, so I missed it happening. I'm on a ducted section - so I guess that means the splitters are underground in that situation?

Yes, I presume they are in all those manholes that they spent time renovating.

plodder wrote: »

Quick question that one of the more informed may be able to answer for me. Do Eir house the splitters in the exchange racks or are they mounted to poles/manholes? The majority of the pole mounted gear that I have seen appear to be just splice boxes. Makes me wonder where in fact the splitters are located? I've seen rack mounted optical splitters before but that wouldn't make greatest utilisation of the fiber network.

Jim

Quick question that one the more informed may be able to answer for me. Do Eir house the splitters in the exchange racks or are they mounted to poles/manholes? The majority of the pole mounted gear that I have seen appear to be just splice boxes. Makes me wonder where in fact the splitters are located? I've seen rack mounted optical splitters but that wouldn't appear to make much sense for such a dispersed network.

Jim

I assume they are on the poles and manholes most likely in the splice (distribution) boxes. They are apparently using a two level split design so it would not make sense to locate them in an exchange. I'm open to correction though.

They are apparently using a two level split design.

Interesting. Any ideas on the split ratios? I heard 32x splitters mentioned a few times but that wouldn't make sense on a two level/cascaded split. Such a design would certainly make more sense for rural areas.
    Jim

Interesting. Any ideas on the split ratios? I heard 32x splitters mentioned a few times but that wouldn't make sense on a two level/cascaded split.

Jim

1:32 using 1:8 then 1:4 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Do Eir house the splitters in the exchange racks or are they mounted to poles/manholes? The majority of the pole mounted gear that I have seen appear to be just splice boxes. Makes me wonder where in fact the splitters are located? I've seen rack mounted optical splitters before but that wouldn't make greatest utilisation of the fiber network.

The fibre splitters/splice boxes are mounted on the poles or located in the manholes. OLTs (Optical Line Terminals) located back in the exchange.

The split ratio according to an eir presentation last year, they chose a cascaded two stage splitter architecture, each fibre will have 1:32 split comprising a primary 1:8 split and a secondary 1:4 split for rural FTTH.

Rural_FTTH_split.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Quick question that one of the more informed may be able to answer for me. Do Eir house the splitters in the exchange racks or are they mounted to poles/manholes? The majority of the pole mounted gear that I have seen appear to be just splice boxes. Makes me wonder where in fact the splitters are located? I've seen rack mounted optical splitters before but that wouldn't make greatest utilisation of the fiber network.

Jim
    Right, I might have been using the wrong terminology, but what you see up on the poles (or would see in the man-holes) are boxes that house the splicing/splitting gear. As others pointed out, you essentially have up to 32 subscribers sharing the same strand of fibre all the way back to the exchange. All the equipment between customer and exchange is passive and solely there for splicing. And because fibre is actually made from glass, the boxes need to be a certain size to not damage the cable and maintain its optical properties when spliced. I'd guess that optical splitters that you see on a rack are active components which might be used in exchanges, but not out in the customer network.

Interesting to note turbbo that Castletroy has gone back to Winter 2018 so I guess your messages had some effect!

haha yeah, I emailed and annoyed them a few more times - so whatever nonsense response about other exchanges being fed from it counting as 150 was actually misleading and false - got an email from the top brass and all! But they never admitted that it was a mistake - the update admits it though.
    I just emailed them to thank them for updating the map as they didn't admit to anything. My tenacity has finally paid off. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Still puzzled by this.......

, 10% of the premises that have been passed by the Eir contract to date, which is approximately 100,000 properties, have connected to pure fibre and I am told approximately 20% of those 100,000 have connected with the SIRO roll-out. Between 10% and 20% is the rate of connection to pure fibre on foot of the commercial stimulus aspect of the national broadband plan.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-10-04a.339&s=national+broadband+plan#g346

Advertisement