Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centerfire semi auto

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

If you want to get an M1 Garand in 30 06, let me know. I have one and they are cool.
    Sent you a PM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

NO political discussion in the target forum. That includes actual politics as well as club/association stuff.

This forum is a strictly No Politics forum. no exceptions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Sorry i missed this before and i know it's probably a little late.
    solarwinds wrote: »
    Thats all good and well but what happens when you have a situation like i did where i was told my application would not pass the supers desk unless i met him and answered all his questions................ Again i explained and was told i meet and answer questions or it goes no further.
    Then ask for the refusal, from the Super, in writing.

Applying for a firearm is a right. It's one of the few rights we actually have. You have the right, unless disqualified, to apply and cannot be refused this right simply because the Super says so.

The Super may vet an application before it goes to the Chief Super to make sure it's actually a "Chief Super" application, but that is where the Super's involvement ends.

As i said above ask for the refusal to process the application in writing. Either he'll [the Super] give it, refuse it, or process the application.
    • If he gives the refusal you then use this to further the application.
    • If he refuses to give the refusal to contact whatever association, club or group you're with
    • If he processes/sends it to the Chief Super then all is good in the world.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    As i said above ask for the refusal to process the application in writing. Either he'll [the Super] give it, refuse it, or process the application.

I doubt the Super would be able to issue a refusal for a restricted firearm seeing as they can't give the authorisation for one.

Surely it would have to be the Chief Super who issues the refusal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It's their administrative chain of command.
    Your local Sgt has to clear you as being the man on the ground, he is supposed to know the local citizens and heads. Then it ends up on the super's desk for whatever reason,and then it goes to the Cheif for final yea or nay. Between that, there are of course numerous secretaries and whatnot who push the file from one IN Tray to their OUT tray as the process evolves, with plenty of chances of it being "lost".So quite frankly, it's not surprising they need 90 days with such an inefficient system.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I didn't say to ask for a refusal for the firearm. In the quote of mine it even says what i was asking for. A refusal to process the application. Above that i said:
    The Super may vet an application before it goes to the Chief Super to make sure it's actually a "Chief Super" application, but that is where the Super's involvement ends.

You have a right to apply so to refuse that right is grounds for appeal/reconsideration.

However you can do nothing if it's all over the phone. You need a refusal letter from the Super saying he won't process the application and forward it to the Chief Super's office unless conditions he [the Super] sets out are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Would historical significance count as a good reason for applying for an FAL seeing as it was in service with the army? Or would the Chief Superintendent laugh at you? Or would depend on the individual Chief Superintendent?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't think historical significance comes into it unless you are looking for a permit to keep a deactivated firearm.

The usual reasons are target shooting, hunting and vermin control.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭CplCurley

I was pushing for the same logic, especially since my father used the fn with the PDF in 60s.

With all the requirements I decided to get bolt acton smle in 303

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Would historical significance count as a good reason for applying for an FAL seeing as it was in service with the army? Or would the Chief Superintendent laugh at you? Or would depend on the individual Chief Superintendent?

I live a spit and a f*rt away from the East Coast of England, and I'm betting I could hear the laffin' from my open window.

If the acquisition of firearms of historical significance had any measure of relevance, many of you would have an old 11mm Mauser Mod.84, a mainstay rifle of the 1916 Rising. Or even the not-quite-so-old Steyr M95.

IF you were to join a group that shot vintage firearms in competition, then there is a very slim chance that you might win that argument, but frankly I'm of the opinion that you are on to a solid loser with that argument.

No doubt a few here will give you the real skinny on the ownership of so-called historical firearms.

• Advertisement

It has been done!
    A broom handle Mauser C96 aka "Peter the painter" pistol was licensed to a gun dealer in Kerry to him as an individual and his private collection,on its historical significance and value.BUT,he can only use it about three times a year on an approved range.[Which is of no big deal to him],and he was going up an ultra-hostile to private gun ownership chief in a district court case, back in the bad old days of the Oughties.

In this case, unless you could find the gun that was issued to your dad in the army during his service,you might have a chance. Or that the gun was used on some significant historical event. Like maybe JFK inspected it and handled it when he came to visit?Or it was in Jadotville in the Congo? But otherwise...No

You have plenty of good reason as it stands. Historical rifle shooting of an Irish service rifle. Sign up for bullseye 360 as well or I believe even the Fclass section now has a discipline for semi-autos? Ignore any nonsense of the claims that any post-Sept 08 cant be licensed as they "might be" revoked at some future date. Keep a ten round mag in it and you are good to go under EU directives if that is thrown at you.All he can say is no, and in that case have a word with your local Firearms United Network rep, about appealing and covering your costs,if you are a signed up member.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

I believe any of the firearms in the collins barracks museum in dublin, from the historic periods of our countries past have been butchered, i mean deactivated. Zero respect shown to the very tools used to achieve a republic in the first place.

True thing. A few years back somebody found and donated Michael Collins' own revolver. The first thing they did to it in the museum was to hack it in half and weld it back again.

I knew up to about a decade ago where one of Daniel O Connell's duelling pistols was in Austrailia.it is a Nock, that he sent out to his brother after one of the Monster rallies in Clare complete with a little miniature of himself. Was very reasonable too to buy.

But FECK if I would or let anyone else have that info here in Ireland, for exactly that reason of what would happen to it in our museums!:mad: I dont care how historically valuable it is, or that it should be back here in reland.It would be like putting the Mona Lisa in a pig sty.:mad:

gunny123 wrote: »
    I believe any of the firearms in the collins barracks museum in dublin, from the historic periods of our countries past have been butchered, i mean deactivated. Zero respect shown to the very tools used to achieve a republic in the first place.

I wonder are they deacted to conform in respect to the new EU directive of 2017?? IOW welded up to be an awkward high tech metal club??:mad:

Very doubtful, Grizzly. Those rules have only just come into effect, and the Collins revolver must have been ruined about ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

Can you imagine how much some wealthy irish american would spend on a revolver in good condition owned by Collins ? Blank cheque time.

I remember similarly JRR Tolkiens revolver was handed into the police in Oxford during an amnesty, and an ordinary plod instantly knew it was something worth preserving. Its in the museum in Leeds on display, i doubt its been butchered though.

tac foley wrote: »
    Very doubtful, Grizzly. Those rules have only just come into effect, and the Collins revolver must have been ruined about ten years ago.

Was SARCASM Tac.:P

You can be assured if it is in UK land it has been chopped.:mad: Even Winston Churchills guns have been chopped by those barbarians! I saw Stanley Kubrick's HKP7 for sale at silly money in a deactivated state in the UK a few years ago.It would have fetched even sillier money in the USA if it was in a firing condition.:(

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Was SARCASM Tac.:P

I know. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 1349

You can be assured if it is in UK land it has been chopped.:mad: Even Winston Churchills guns have been chopped by those barbarians! I saw Stanley Kubrick's HKP7 for sale at silly money in a deactivated state in the UK a few years ago.It would have fetched even sillier money in the USA if it was in a firing condition.:(

Isn't destroying cultural artifacts and monuments a crime against humanity?

The ICC certainly recognize it as a war crime under the Rome Statute 1998.

Proably is, but in the good tradition of dealing with firearms, those with forked tounges will say they havent actually "destroyed" the firearm, just made it impossible to be used,or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've seen rifles and smaller sold at auction in this country as 'obsolete calibre' and I've been told by one that it was perfectly legal to own them without a licence. I'm sure many a Snider has found its way over the border from an antiques shop up north.
    You only get fked by the long dong of the law if you try to do things properly.

(This is not me telling people to break the law, more a rant about how little sense it makes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I knew up to about a decade ago where one of Daniel O Connell's duelling pistols was in Austrailia.it is a Nock, that he sent out to his brother after one of the Monster rallies in Clare complete with a little miniature of himself. Was very reasonable too to buy.

But FECK if I would or let anyone else have that info here in Ireland, for exactly that reason of what would happen to it in our museums!:mad: I dont care how historically valuable it is, or that it should be back here in reland.It would be like putting the Mona Lisa in a pig sty.:mad:

Did he not kill another man duelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Back on topic , what competitions are there for a S/A .223 in this country ive been eyeing up a CZ527 in 223 but i joined a range would like a S/A .223 for shooting competitions and for hunting(foxes+goats)
    Would there be any second hand R-15s or ARs about im planning on upgrading bits and pieces on a rifle so it doesn't matter if its second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

Mike Duggan in Killarney has new AR type rifle 223 in stock in woodland camo print. Nice bit of kit. I believe it’s a Remington. Pm me if you can’t find his number

Back on topic , what competitions are there for a S/A .223 in this country ive been eyeing up a CZ527 in 223 but i joined a range would like a S/A .223 for shooting competitions and for hunting(foxes+goats)
    Would there be any second hand R-15s or ARs about im planning on upgrading bits and pieces on a rifle so it doesn't matter if its second hand

Bullseye 360,[Midlands] Target rifle [An Riocht] F Class open Semi auto[Midlands?]As the design is now well over 60 years old,if you configured one into an AR15/M16 Mk 1 lookalike or got one of Brownells retro /repro models,you could probably enter classic rifle with it as well?:p

These rifles are kind of a special order item here, due to what they are, and most folks will be holding onto them no matter what.So 2nd hand units are rare enough out there.

Advertisement