Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Lost For Words by Stephanie Butland.

This book will probably appeal to anyone who enjoyed “Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine”.
    THIS BOOKSHOP KEEPS MANY SECRETS . . .

Loveday Cardew prefers books to people. If you look carefully, you might glimpse the first lines of the novels she loves most tattooed on her skin. But there are some things Loveday will never show you.

Into her refuge - the York book emporium where she works - come a poet, a lover, a friend, and three mysterious deliveries, each of which stirs unsettling memories.

Everything is about to change for Loveday. Someone knows about her past and she can't hide any longer. She must decide who around her she can trust. Can she find the courage to right a heartbreaking wrong? And will she ever find the words to tell her own story?

It's time to turn the pages of her past . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Dead House by Billy O'Callaghan

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Alfie, The Doorstep Cat. Predictable and repetitive. Would have been ok when I was 10 (so far at least).

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Dead House by Billy O'Callaghan
    .... Superb, gripping read

No to make a start on the Xmas purchases ... Milkman by Anna Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Coming to the end of "You Let Me In" by Lucy Clarke. Addictive reading, I enjoyed it, will read more of hers.

• Advertisement

Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Herman Hesse , Siddartha... written in the 1920's , definitely the primary hippie .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Vittorio The Vampire by Anne Rice one of her new tales of the vampires books. Very much enjoyed this and anybody who likes her Vampire chronicles will like this one too.

I've started "The Second Child" by Caroline Bond, I'm liking it. A little bit reminiscent of Jodi Picoult, but much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Fatima Farheen Mirza's A Place for Us and loved it. A second generation Indian family from Hyderabad living in US, the parents are trying to maintain the Muslim ethic of the family while the children are trying to fit in with living in liberal America.

Thanks to all the posters on this thread, I've read many a book I wouldn't have discovered otherwise.

Happy Christmas and happy reading in 2019.

• Advertisement

Finished Milkman ... A rewarding but demanding read. Needs serious concentration.

Now it's on to Grace by Paul Lynch

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

I’m half way through and it’s a delightful read so far.
    January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she's never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb...

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society's members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Halfway through "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert. Cannot put it down, simply wonderful writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Past Tense, the latest Jack Reacher thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

The last book in the Passage trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.

I'm about half way through the book and I am really enjoying it. I love how he writes.

After the Peace by Fay Weldon

Baptism by Max Kinnings. I'm enjoying it, very addictive reading!

A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership by James Comey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I absolutely loved A Gentleman in Moscow. It was a book I couldn't wait to continue reading. It utterly sucked me in and it was like I was there in the story. That hasn't happened me for a very long time.

After that I read A House of Ghosts by W.C Ryan. It's a very easy read but so disappointing. It was like 'And Then There Were None' but with ghosts hanging around. It wasn't gripping or chilling as promised. The ending was quite obvious from early on.

I've just started 'Notes from Underground' by Dostoyevsky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Hemingway ,Fiesta ; the sun also rises...mmm, half way through , not so sure yet although its supposed to be a classic / must read .

Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished John Connolly's The Burning Soul. Not as action filled as most of his earlier books but another very good read all the same This one centers around a young girl who goes missing from a remote town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Reading 'Ancillary Sword' (sci-fi) by Ann Leckie, a sequel to 'Ancillary Justice' which I read a couple of months ago.

Listening to 'The Three Body Problem' by Cixin Liu, also sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes

I'm reading Midwives by Chris Bohjalian and I'm loving it! Never read anything of his before. Very well-written.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Becoming from Michelle Obama. Started it 3 days ago and 3/4 through it already

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Black Wings has my Angel by Elliott Chaze.

Really great tough and unsparing hardboiled stuff. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson..
    It really is laugh out loud at times, I like his sarcasm..

• Advertisement

Just finished Bridge of Clay ... terrific read but I feel like I've been emotionally wrung out.

Next it's the Costa Winner Normal People by Sally Rooney

Advertisement