Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

otnomart wrote: »
    Saw it in a bookshop yesterday, was tempted, might pick it up next time !

I'm almost finished & its a brilliant read ... highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just started French Exit by Patrick deWitt. Loved his previous books so really looking forward to this.

The Missing Ones by Patricia Gibney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Albert Camus , The fall.....yet another one I'll need to read again ...have had a run of these making me fell a bit thick at the moment .

Almost Love by Louise O'Neill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Just finished The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker. Quite enjoyed it, but found it had a weird tone, at times funny verging on satirical, and pretty outlandish throughout.

The Stolen Girls by Patricia Gibney

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Stolen Girls by Patricia Gibney

Love that series.

adox wrote: »
    Love that series.

Yea, quick easy Bank Holiday reading .... if somewhat farfetched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Halfway through The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Fantasy, but not of the dwarves-elves-wizard variety. Pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The novelization of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The Life and Loves of a He Devil by Graham Norton

Halfway through The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Fantasy, but not of the dwarves-elves-wizard variety. Pretty good.

I'd be interested to hear your take on that. Some good reports but I'm not sure I'm on for signing up for the whole fantasy trilogy thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Xofpod wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear your take on that. Some good reports but I'm not sure I'm on for signing up for the whole fantasy trilogy thing...

I mean you can always stop reading if you get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bad Blood - secrets & lies in a Silicon Valley startup by John Carreyrou.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

'Breathing lessons' by Anne Tyler and 'How to be both' by Ali Smith. Also this memoir called 'Heart herries' about a pregnant American Indian lady in a mental institution and all the people who abused her.

The Tide Between Us by Olive Collins

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Force of Nature by Jane Harper. Enjoyed her debut novel The Dry, and this is as good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,651 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've just finished The Black Eyed Blonde by Benjamin Black. I'm not a particular fan of the genre, but it was generally entertaining and engaging. The finale was a bit of a let down for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Currently reading Normal People, not sure if it will live up to the hype. After that it's From a Low and Quite Sea.

Finished reading Normal People. Found it tedious and self indulgent. Can't understand how it made it onto the Booker long list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

This House is Haunted by John Boyne. Great Hallowe'en read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Finished reading Normal People. Found it tedious and self indulgent. Can't understand how it made it onto the Booker long list.

I saw the author described as “the Salinger of the snapchat generation” in a newspaper review a while back. No offence to her but I think, culturally, it might have been the most depressing sentence I’ve ever read.

Lethal White by Robert Galbraith

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Hi All.
    Didnt want to start a fresh thread
    Im lookin for a recommendation for what to read next

So far ive read all the
    Harry bosch books
    Jack reacher book
    Elvis cole books
    Tracy crosswhite books
    So im looking for something along these lines.
    Thanks
    Zebrano

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Zebrano wrote: »
    Hi All.
    Didnt want to start a fresh thread
    Im lookin for a recommendation for what to read next

So far ive read all the
    Harry bosch books
    Jack reacher book
    Elvis cole books
    Tracy crosswhite books
    So im looking for something along these lines.
    Thanks
    Zebrano

Angela Marsons - Kim Stone series
    Patricia Gibney - Lottie Parker series
    Robert Bryndza - Erika Foster series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Xofpod wrote: »

Finished the Broken Earth trilogy. The world-building was very inventive. I didn't really fall in love with any of the characters. It was ok. Not that good that I'll be buying people copies for Christmas.

Am almost finished 'Ancillary Justice' by Ann Leckie. Sci-fi. I don't know if the main premise is totally original but the execution is very good and there are a couple of other interesting features.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

Rose Gold, Walter Mosley. Picked it up immediately after reading my first "Easy Rawlins" book. I'm enjoying this but not to the same extent as the previous one. I'm going to continue to dip into the series - and there are a good few to read prior to my jumping-in point - but maybe not with quite the same level of anticipation.

• Advertisement

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Advertisement