Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I finished George RR Martin's game of Thrones Book 3 A Storm of Swords. Absolutely loved it. Great read from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman

This is Sally Beauman's companion to Daphne de Maurier's classic tale, Rebecca and is officially approved by the Du Maurier estate.

I'm halfway through this book and I'm don't want it to end.
    April 1951...It's 20 years since the death of Rebecca, the beautiful first wife of Maxim de Winter...

Twenty years since the inquest, which famously and controversially passed a verdict of suicide.....

Twenty years since Manderley, the de Winters' ancient family seat was razed to the ground.

But Rebecca's tale is just beginning.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Four Soldiers by Hubert Mingarelli

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just started this, found it at a second-hand sale, the Irish setting intrigued me: Haunted Ground by Erin Hart

Bitter Orange by Claire Fuller

• Advertisement

Black Diamonds : The Rise and Fall of an English Dynasty by Catherine Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Naked at the Albert Hall, Tracey Thorn. An excellent book about music and specifically, singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71wA7xXvvVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Tastes Like Fear by Sarah Hilary

Thriller set in London about cops chasing a killer who is abducting and killing teenage girls

Entertaining and engaging

Beautiful Pictures of the Lost Homeland by Mia Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

On my wishlist , tombland by CJ Sansom, the new Jack Reacher and Conan Doyle for the defence.
    I don't want them for the kindle as I have to take turn in buying paperbacks.
    I can't recall who is online apart from Amazon, the book depository?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Jack Kerouac, Lonesome Traveller , his ' spontaneous prose' style is so rich and evocative but needs concentration to enjoy his genius and not really for bed- time reading, Pity he was another early loss from that generation.

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier

I always thought “Rebecca” was a great book but this is a cracking read too.
    Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in making Philip his heir, knowing he will treasure his beautiful Cornish estate. But Philip's world is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and then dies suddenly in suspicious circumstances.

Jealous of his marriage and grief-stricken by his death, Philip prepares to meet his cousin's widow with hatred in his heart.

Finished Jo Nesbo's The Bat. An enjoyable crime drama set in Australia although the lead character is Norwegian as is the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. I'm about 5 chapters in. Very good.

Paprika by Frank McGuinness

End of the Affair by Graham Greene
    The love affair between Maurice Bendrix and Sarah, flourishing in the turbulent times of the London Blitz, ends when she suddenly and without explanation breaks it off.

After a chance meeting rekindles his love and jealousy two years later, Bendrix hires a private detective to follow Sarah, and slowly his love for her turns into an obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

was reading a book this week called Straight to hell by John Lefevre. Absolute rubbish. Ex over paid banker boasting about going on the piss doing drugs and picking up prostitutes in Asia. Started a new one last night Who says elephants cant dance by Louis Gerstner about IBM in the 90s. Think it will be a lot better read

The Ghost Tree by Barbara Erskine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Auntie's War - the BBC during the Second World War - by Edward Stourton

French Exit by Patrick deWitt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje.

The Paris Wife by Pauline McLain
    A deeply evocative story of ambition and betrayal, The Paris Wife captures a remarkable period of time—Paris in the twenties—and an extraordinary love affair between two unforgettable people: Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley.

In Chicago in 1920, Hadley Richardson is a quiet twenty-eight-year-old who has all but given up on love and happiness—until she meets Ernest Hemingway and finds herself captivated by his good looks, intensity, and passionate desire to write.

Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for Paris, where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group of expatriates that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.

But the hard-drinking and fast-living café life does not celebrate traditional notions of family and monogamy. As Hadley struggles with jealousy and self-doubt and Ernest wrestles with his burgeoning writing career, they must confront a deception that could prove the undoing of one of the great romances in literary history.

I finished Jo Nesbo's Cockroaches. Another enjoyable crime thriller from the Norwegian author who this time sets the action in Bangkok as his main character arrives to investigate the murder of the Norwegian ambassador to Thailand.

Finished French Exit by Patrick deWitt ..... mad but really enjoyable quirky read

Next is Malmoth by Sarah Perry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just starting 'Blackout' by Connie Willis; a time-travel WWII novel that's split over two volumes.

Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier

Having read Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel recently, I thought I’d try this one. I didn’t expect to like it at all but I quite enjoyed it!
    After the death of her mother, Mary Yellan crosses the windswept Cornish moors to Jamaica Inn, the home of her Aunt Patience. There she finds Patience a changed woman, downtrodden by her domineering, vicious husband Joss Merlyn. The inn is a front for a lawless gang of criminals, and Mary is unwillingly dragged into their dangerous world of smuggling and murder. Before long she will be forced to cross her own moral line to save herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Currently reading The Driver, a fast paced, cleverly plotted and very funny LA set thriller by US tv script writer Hart Hanson.

I bought Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson at lunchtime and couldn't resist reading the first (very short) story in it. Typically brutal but beautiful and poetic writing from him. I've read most of Johnson's books at this stage and for some reason have left his most famous work till almost last.

• Advertisement

Naming the Stars by Jennfer Johnston

Advertisement