Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Blue skies, and a breeze here in west Galway. Made a good drop of rain last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Woke up at 5.30 to the worst wind since Darwin, all clear now apart from the odd gust. Some of the young bushes have been sent diagonal but no other damage I can see. I think we got away with it in NW Kerry

Whoever owns that Hyundai should do the lotto.

Sun and blue skies now. Could nearly go for a walk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Collins Avenue and Donnycarney National School flooded this morning

TUESKSg.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning flash right overheard this morning

7389-A184-9424-48-AE-8-B41-F7-CD308-FFF2-C.png

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Has turned out to be surprisingly nice now here in south Conamara. Still very windy but nowhere near enough to keep one inside. Lovely walking weather right now, bound to change I'm sure before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Fierce wind and rain early this morning, in south west Dublin, I thought the roof was going to come off! Good thing I lay the empty wheelie bins down last night too.

Brightened up for a little while but getting very dark overhead, raining again and the wind is picking up again... (11am)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wild windy wet and pondering when to go out in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hurrache wrote: »
    Maybe you were roofied? I too am in the same area and it was absolutely wild, noisiest night we've had in years, sky lights were sounding like we had drummers on our roof.

Nah not at all. Just being honest. I’ve no doubt the other poster who posted before me also in North Dublin who had terrible conditions was honest too.

Obviously some areas escaped the worst of it, even in relatively close proximity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Hope this doesn't hinder my evening plans to get an indian take-away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Whats the significance of that?

A spring low tide should be way out. 100 metres from the shore. Wind is pushing water into the bay. River at the end of the beach adding to it. Could be nasty at 4 o clock when its back near high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It’s funny how people can post weather reports in their sleep.

Just because you didn’t get woken up does not mean the weather wasn’t bad.

Maybe you had one whiskey too many last night

One study showed that About 7% of people slept through a highly damaging earthquake in California
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/3173597/earthquake-sleep/%3Famp%3Dtrue

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Akrasia wrote: »
    It’s funny how people can post weather reports in their sleep.

Just because you didn’t get woken up does not mean the weather wasn’t bad.

Maybe you had one whiskey too many last night

One study showed that About 7% of people slept through a highly damaging earthquake in California
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/3173597/earthquake-sleep/%3Famp%3Dtrue

Are you talking about my posts? I’ve been awake since 6.00am and woke up numerous times during the night as normal. Also I don’t drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sky News is a joke. Your one on the beach as Milford-on-Sea pretending to be unable to stand steady while a family with young children calmy walks walks behind her. Then she points at some tiny pebbles that got washed up on the beach. Vicious stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I am one of those people who could sleep through an earthquake.

The wind and rain woke me more then once last night, so I knew it was bad!

I didn't look out, though, I hid under my duvet, severe weather makes me anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Strongest wind I've felt in a while on the back edge of that shower that just passed dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sky News is a joke. Your one on the beach as Milford-on-Sea pretending to be unable to stand steady while a family with young children calmy walks walks behind her. Then she points at some tiny pebbles that got washed up on the beach. Vicious tuff...

The lad presenting on Sky news earlier pronounced Ciara as Keyaarrra :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seems calm here, yesterday evening was wild.

Should have posted here and not in the tech thread, sorry mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I am a bit confused about naming after Brexit ... like, this one, why didn't we call it Sabine same as Germans do ?!?

• Advertisement

mvl wrote: »
    I am a bit confused about naming after Brexit ... like, this one, why didn't we call it Sabine same as Germans do ?!?

Didn’t the UK name this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Looking at the projected wind speeds for the rest of today on Met.ie, we should remain under the orange warning until early tonight.

You could get play badminton here in north east at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Germans have a different system that's been in place for decades. Members of the public can pay for their name to go to a low or a high. The money raised is used by Berlin Free University.

http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/

Prognose_20200207.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Didn’t the UK name this one?

so my question is why are we following UK naming rather than EU naming ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

I'm a light sleeper, and houses dont get much more exposed than mine. Woke several times this morning thinking, when is this going to hit? Was getting blown away yesterday evening.

m17 wrote: »
    Ennis
    t82OYN4.jpg

Clare Fire & Rescue weren't long removing it, not one but three engines on the scene. Admittedly, some of the gusts between 7.30 & 8.30am were the most violent I've ever experienced. Not far short of storm Darwin levels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Clare Fire & Rescue weren't long removing it, not one but three engines on the scene. Admittedly, some of the gusts between 7.30 & 8.30am were the most violent I've ever experienced. Not far short of storm Darwin levels.

Why is that idiot standing under the tree....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,613 ✭✭✭✭zell12

d4FWnQP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think the rain is more of a feature here in the Northwest - flooding all over the place and we just had another wild sleety mix.

South Sligo
    90m asl

Advertisement