Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a house in 2016/17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

Finished a 2300sq ft 1.5 storey house just under a year ago. Came in roughly at €190000. That included doing a few bits and pieces ourselves painting etc but nothing major as neither of us had much experience in building. All in all we probably saved €5000 - €7000 in doing work ourselves.

Spec is relatively good..A2 BER. Spent a good lot on insulation, air tightness etc. However a good many of the rooms are not finished..5 rooms in all are literally just concrete floors, skirting and whitewashed walls. No landscaping done either and the site was free aside from solicitor costs.

When we went in we of course thought we could do it for cheaper but it never works out like that unless you have a trade yourself. Still think getting in at €82 per square ft is decent going for the spec we got at the end despite the unfinished rooms/outside. If anyone wants any other particular costs or any more info feel free to ask!

What part of the country did you build in?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Just after finishing a 258sqm house (2 storey dormer) in North Kildare. House is A2 rated, has 4kW of solar panels, air to water heat pump. Garden is landscaped (granite patio, lawns sewed, kerbing in, pebble driveway etc) as part of the contractor's price. Worked out at €1240 per sq m for all this in the tender price given by contractor for all the above and for a good quality finish.

This did not include for kitchen or appliaances. It also allowed 25Euro per sqm for flooring/tiles, which is not a huge budget but we managed to find very nice laminate floors for this price and also our tiles came in under budget.

When we take in extras like architects fees, council fees, solicitor fees, irish water connection, ESB connection, kitchen and appliances etc it drove the price up to €1451 per sq m. This is for a fully finished house and garden. Nothing left to do except furnish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Do you mean a 2,400sqft house rather than 2,400Sqm?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Sorry-not sure where I got that figure from. It is actually 258sqm. Have edited the post now and adjusted the amounts to correct values per sqm.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Are the estimate prices mentioned for building per sq m ex VAT or inc VAT?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

pump wrote: »
    What part of the country did you build in?

the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Kellzer wrote: »
    Just after finishing a 258sqm house (2 storey dormer) in North Kildare. House is A2 rated, has 4kW of solar panels, air to water heat pump. Garden is landscaped (granite patio, lawns sewed, kerbing in, pebble driveway etc) as part of the contractor's price. Worked out at €1240 per sq m for all this in the tender price given by contractor for all the above and for a good quality finish.

This did not include for kitchen or appliaances. It also allowed 25Euro per sqm for flooring/tiles, which is not a huge budget but we managed to find very nice laminate floors for this price and also our tiles came in under budget.

When we take in extras like architects fees, council fees, solicitor fees, irish water connection, ESB connection, kitchen and appliances etc it drove the price up to €1451 per sq m. This is for a fully finished house and garden. Nothing left to do except furnish it.

Would say you did well there in terms of pricing, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Hi Kellzer, do those figures include Vat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Hi can anyone tell me what is approximately the cost per sq m or sq ft to build to Kerry (Tralee) at the moment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭mrxireland

We have been getting quotes of one or two builders for a bathroom/wet room 3.2x3.5m and a back hall/room 3.2mx4.5m just on the border of sligo/mayo. Block built with tieing into the existing roof. Bathroom all tiled, bath/ wetroom floor, hall tiled. One builder has came in at 17.5k for labour and the other at a staggering 19k labor. To us, this seems like boom time prices. We know the rates have been going up and builders have more outlays than they did in the boom but for labor for this extention seems outrageous to us. We were thinking maybe 10-13kmax and the rest for materials. We would expect these prices in dubllin and not here in the west. Would you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mrxireland wrote: »
    We have been getting quotes of one or two builders for a bathroom/wet room 3.2x3.5m and a back hall/room 3.2mx4.5m just on the border of sligo/mayo. Block built with tieing into the existing roof. Bathroom all tiled, bath/ wetroom floor, hall tiled. One builder has came in at 17.5k for labour and the other at a staggering 19k labor. To us, this seems like boom time prices. We know the rates have been going up and builders have more outlays than they did in the boom but for labor for this extention seems outrageous to us. We were thinking maybe 10-13kmax and the rest for materials. We would expect these prices in dubllin and not here in the west. Would you agree?

Get more quotes. If they all come back similar, then that's the market rate.
    Make sure they are quoting like for like.

Labour rates are increasing week by week, trades are starting to select what job they want to carry out.

kceire wrote: »
    Get more quotes. If they all come back similar, then that's the market rate.
    Make sure they are quoting like for like.

Labour rates are increasing week by week, trades are starting to select what job they want to carry out.

I got 2 thinking they will be very close to each other and in around what i was thinking. 17.5k and 19k for labor . Im afraid now though, if i do get someone in for 10k, it wont be as good as what we want. Is there any threads here where theres a break down or price of similar extensions to compare?

I got 2 thinking they will be very close to each other and in around what i was thinking. 17.5k and 19k for labor . Im afraid now though, if i do get someone in for 10k, it wont be as good as what we want. Is there any threads here where theres a break down or price of similar extensions to compare?

Nope, all ball park guesses.
    You wont get an exact breakdown unless you have prepared a BoQ and gave that to the individual contractors to price against.

Not much difference in the 2 quotes to be fairs, its a couple of trades for an extra day or 2.

Ya from looking at your prices I wouldn't call that a huge difference to be honest. If it was 10k difference then I would be worried.

I have gotten 3 quotes to build a house recently, two are very close and one is €20,000 dearer. Have the BOQ so was very easy to compare.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya from looking at your prices I wouldn't call that a huge difference to be honest. If it was 10k difference then I would be worried.

I have gotten 3 quotes to build a house recently, two are very close and one is €20,000 dearer. Have the BOQ so was very easy to compare.

What is BOQ?

What is BOQ?

It's a Bill Of Quantities. A Quantity surveyor makes it up. The builders then can use it as a guide to give you prices and then you can compare the different prices with each other much easier.

This thread should give you an idea what I mean.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101296226

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StoneyRiver

Well ware on the new house Kellzer.
    I'm beginning a new build now and in quotation stage. BER advises 4KW solar with oil boiler. Can i ask who you dealt with for solar panels and did they fully install and commission?

The options are far as i can see are
    1. Shipping a kit in from europe approx. €5.75K and getting the roofer and electrician to mount and commission adding another €1000 approx or
    2. Paying approx €8K for a local supplier to do the job.

Option 1 saves €1000 approx. but is higher risk of damaging the panels and a more hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinkprincessy

I would echo previous posters as someone who has recently been pricing up my own new build.
    If your going contractor route your looking at €1400 to €1600 per sm depending on size spec. etc.
    For direct labour €1000 to €1200.
    I'm afraid the days of building a house for half nothing (ie. €75 per sqft) are over.

Hi, what would 1600 per share be per sqft ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lauralenny

that seems like a really good price
    we are in galway and just looking at a site in salthill and trying to work out how much it might cost us to build a 3000 sq ft home (thats what planning has been applied for)
    no clue where to start really
    do you mind me asking what builders you used? can you send on the name in private message?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StoneyRiver

Getting quotes myself in the Galway area for a 3000 sqft house. Coming in around €90/ft^2. Builders finish. Does not include kitchen or stairs. so say an extra 20K for that to bring it up to €98/ft^2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 smccart6

Just wondering what would it cost roughly to build a 2700sqft 2 storey simple rectangle shape house in louth area. Contractor build. A2 rating, double glazing pvc, geothermal, underfloor heating and ventilation system. Concrete first floor. Site will be cleared and ready for building.
    Excluding kitchen, painting and flooring
    We are just in process of sending out stuff for tendering but just wanna get rough idea to prepare me for quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liloldme

Hi All,

Sale agreed a site in Sligo with an existing house on same. The house is only a 2 bed that has been left vacant for a number of years so will need to be gutted but exterior walls are good.

We plan to extend the house by about 1000-1200 sq feet and upgrade existing structure. We have been given indications of about €100 to €105 per square foot to builders finish which would include electrics, plumbing, plastered walls and our floors.

We want to finish up with a 3 bed house to include underfloor heating, some type of ventilation system and water recycling system.

Has anyone done anything similar in Sligo recently?

Also we are currently getting quotes from architects. One has come in at €24000 excluding VAT and excluding external contractors such as QS, engineer, site surveyor etc. We are quite shocked!!!

All advice appreciated!

Shop around for the Architect anyway. Prices can vary massively so if you can find one that you like their work and they are reasonable then I'd say go for that one. €24,000 ex Vat is a serious chunk of change when you consider that would more than likely pay for your whole heating system.

When it came to he QS I also got massively varying prices. One wanted €2,500 just for BOQ, another wanted €1,000 and the third wanted €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liloldme

Jofspring wrote: »
    Shop around for the Architect anyway. Prices can vary massively so if you can find one that you like their work and they are reasonable then I'd say go for that one. €24,000 ex Vat is a serious chunk of change when you consider that would more than likely pay for your whole heating system.

When it came to he QS I also got massively varying prices. One wanted €2,500 just for BOQ, another wanted €1,000 and the third wanted €600.

Yip we have met with two other architects since so we hope to have their quotes in next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

€212,000 for a bungalow in Tipperary to builders finish. Footprint is 2030sq ft with 700sq ft in converted attic space. Includes a high insulation spec delivering a provisional BER of A3.

Not sure how people would look at that cost on € per sq foot basis i.e. is it €212,000 / 2030 sq ft = €105 sq ft or is divided by 2730 sq ft which would give €77 sq ft

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

merryberry wrote: »
    ?212,000 for a bungalow in Tipperary to builders finish. Footprint is 2030sq ft with 700sq ft in converted attic space. Includes a high insulation spec delivering a provisional BER of A3.

Not sure how people would look at that cost on ? per sq foot basis i.e. is it ?212,000 / 2030 sq ft = ?105 sq ft or is divided by 2730 sq ft which would give ?77 sq ft

Are you finished?

Or is this just a quotation..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Its my experience in the Munster/Midlands region that the actual builders finish of housing has dropped back to €100-€105 a square foot.

There are alot of contractors coming back into the market.

I have priced about 10 houses in the last 3 weeks and i was 2nd/3rd in them all out of 5/6 tendering and i was at the €105 region per sq m.

merryberry wrote: »
    €212,000 for a bungalow in Tipperary to builders finish. Footprint is 2030sq ft with 700sq ft in converted attic space. Includes a high insulation spec delivering a provisional BER of A3.

Not sure how people would look at that cost on € per sq foot basis i.e. is it €212,000 / 2030 sq ft = €105 sq ft or is divided by 2730 sq ft which would give €77 sq ft

And just to confirm that the A3 is the minimum requirement under the building regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What price are you looking at for South Dublin - approx 1200-1400 square feet (112-130 square meters)?

And what price are you looking at for a site with PP to house such a build, with room left over for a good size garden?

Wouldn't be Blackrock/Foxrock or anything as that's way, way out of budget, but anywhere from Sandyford as far down as Bray/Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

Are you allowed to self build now. I am a plumber and my father inlaw wants to come from abroad and do the block work.
    I was told yeaterday that you are not allowed to self build any more.

Advertisement