Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a house in 2016/17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

My advice to anyone building a two storey house is to go with concrete first floor. People say it is more expensive. Its not. Joists, fixings, labour, plywood flooring, insulation between joists, partition walls upstairs are also more expensive to build than block walls.
    And I would definitely pay an extra couple of thousand for the sound proofing provided by concrete floors and walls.

Would love a rough guideline on what a 125m squared bungalow should cost to build. Getting prices of up to 300k. Also is it possible to self build now or is this all gone with the regulations now? We had a budget of 200k max. Have site already.
    My quotes were 1070euro to 1250 per sq metre...builders finish i.e. not even a jacks!

If it can be done cheaper its not up to current regs and BER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Carrickbeg wrote: »
    Dont go direct labour

Any particular reason or is this just a general statement that nobody should do direct labour ...ever?

368100 wrote: »
    Any particular reason or is this just a general statement that nobody should do direct labour ...ever?

Yes 23%vat on things like timber, slates and insulation...a builder can claim that back and pay 13%. You have to deal with about 15 different trades not 5 as I thought...windows, scaffolding, insulation etc. And it's very hard work. Trades men will not tidy up after themselves as there is no repeat business. It will take a toll on your home life.
    For me it cost the same as the builders tender.
    You will make mistakes that a builder wont. These mistakes will cost you. It takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Yes 23%vat on things like timber, slates and insulation...a builder can claim that back and pay 13%. You have to deal with about 15 different trades not 5 as I thought...windows, scaffolding, insulation etc. And it's very hard work. Trades men will not tidy up after themselves as there is no repeat business. It will take a toll on your home life.
    For me it cost the same as the builders tender.
    You will make mistakes that a builder wont. These mistakes will cost you. It takes longer.

There is a massive difference between a self build and just employing trades, you have to know what your doing i.e do your own foundations, radon, filling, floors, insulation air tightness, painting, spend every spare minute working on your house and you can save a fortune, however if you just spend your days Organizing trades and/or laborers to do all this work just hire a builder, a self build for me is getting on your dirty old clothes and working hard

€90/sq ft is well achievable if you do lots of work yourself

• Advertisement

stretchaq wrote: »
    There is a massive difference between a self build and just employing trades, you have to know what your doing i.e do your own foundations, radon, filling, floors, insulation air tightness, painting, spend every spare minute working on your house and you can save a fortune, however if you just spend your days Organizing trades and/or laborers to do all this work just hire a builder, a self build for me is getting on your dirty old clothes and working hard

€90/sq ft is well achievable if you do lots of work yourself
    Yeah your right...im doing a hell of a lot of donkey work myself but im not a trades man and therefore cannot do any of the main parts myself...I'm hopefully going to come in at around 90euro a square foot but I had a builders tender for 100euro a square foot and for all the extra work I would say to anyone thinking of it, that is direct labour, don't do it...unless your a carpenter or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Yeah your right...im doing a hell of a lot of donkey work myself but im not a trades man and therefore cannot do any of the main parts myself...I'm hopefully going to come in at around 90euro a square foot but I had a builders tender for 100euro a square foot and for all the extra work I would say to anyone thinking of it, that is direct labour, don't do it...unless your a carpenter or something.

you are correct also i think on a self build you have to want to do it to be honest (i did my brothers and sisters self build and loved it) at my own now and love it too, but i hate sitting around, and im saving myself a fortune

What are irish water charging for a waste water connection fee June 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

What are irish water charging for a waste water connection fee June 2018?

The same as the Local authority charged prior to Irish water taking over. It varied from one to the other.

Does anyone know the difference between w/mK and w/m2K when it comes to insulation? My loft roll insulation is the first one but the solid insulation uses the metre squared unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Does anyone know the difference between w/mK and w/m2K when it comes to insulation? My loft roll insulation is the first one but the solid insulation uses the metre squared unit?
    one is the u value other is a lamda value
    https://www.encon.co.uk/customer-centre/technical-centre/general/thermal-values-explained-quick-guide-u-values-r-values

Current building regs state that a new build must produce 10w/m2/year of renewable energy. Does anyone know the value of solar tubular panels for DEAP. One panel is ten tubes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Current building regs state that a new build must produce 10w/m2/year of renewable energy. Does anyone know the value of solar tubular panels for DEAP. One panel is ten tubes?

Your BER Assessor should be doing this. You cannot get a BER cert without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭u2fanatic

Hi folks,
    Myself and my wife have acquired a nice plot of land and we are hoping to build a 4 house on it. We have no clue how much the whole thing will cost though, and when in say whole thing I mean from the beginning (e.g land surveyors,architects etc) to the very end (turnkey finish)
    Can anyone give me a rough guide to these prices..? The house will hopefully be built in the Midlands and would be 4 bedroom, around 1800 sq ft..
    Also is there any websites/builders I could be pointed towards that might have all my answers in one place. thanks in advance

u2fanatic wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Myself and my wife have acquired a nice plot of land and we are hoping to build a 4 house on it. We have no clue how much the whole thing will cost though, and when in say whole thing I mean from the beginning (e.g land surveyors,architects etc) to the very end (turnkey finish)
    Can anyone give me a rough guide to these prices..? The house will hopefully be built in the Midlands and would be 4 bedroom, around 1800 sq ft..
    Also is there any websites/builders I could be pointed towards that might have all my answers in one place. thanks in advance

Have you got planning done?
    If not, engage an architect. Outline your budget. Design to the budget. Get QS to price up before lodging to planning. No point getting planning for something you cannot afford.

When happy with design/QS budget, lodge for planning.
    Please god, then go for tender

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Can anyone give me a rough guide to these prices..? The house will hopefully be built in the Midlands and would be 4 bedroom, around 1800 sq ft..

2. Also is there any websites/builders I could be pointed towards that might have all my answers in one place. thanks in advance

1. Have you read around the forum? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890259 there’s a thread a week on building costs

2. Hard to get a website with up to date average costs that’s not peddling something. Every house build is different. https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiOGu9Oq13AIVRbDtCh0EzArhEAAYAiAAEgJJDPD_BwE

Hi folks,

Builders finish between 110 and 120 euro per square foot. So many unknowns tho so its hard to know. With finishes then anythin up to 150euros e.g. kitchen 10k or 30k. Bathroom 1k or 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Builders finish between 110 and 120 euro per square foot. So many unknowns tho so its hard to know. With finishes then anythin up to 150euros e.g. kitchen 10k or 30k. Bathroom 1k or 10k.

The shell itself wont vary much once you price around. But as you say. there is 29 grand spent extra there on a Kitchen and Bathroom alone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NCounty

Hi new here first time posting - would anyone have a rough idea of cost of building a small/medium two storey detached house in
    North County Dublin - I have been told that it would be c. €250 per sq. ft?

NCounty wrote: »
    Hi new here first time posting - would anyone have a rough idea of cost of building a small/medium two storey detached house in
    North County Dublin - I have been told that it would be c. €250 per sq. ft?

U don't realise this now but what your asking is like how much is a new car?

What type of house? And finishes?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Your BER Assessor should be doing this. You cannot get a BER cert without one.

I have my BER assessor's head wrecked from asking him questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

When people get their costs back from a QS and you are working out cost per sq m etc do you include the total price including VAT etc or just the build costs themselves?

We just got a QS to do up a cost estimate report for us and it came in waaaaay over what we thought. €535,000 for a 240sqm bungalow in rural Kilkenny. Going in we did know that our architect asked for a "slightly higher spec" finish but jesus this was way over. And that excludes VAT. So excluding VAT its coming out at €2,230 per sq m. Adding VAT its comes out at €2530 per sqm!

homerjk wrote: »
    When people get their costs back from a QS and you are working out cost per sq m etc do you include the total price including VAT etc or just the build costs themselves?

We just got a QS to do up a cost estimate report for us and it came in waaaaay over what we thought. €535,000 for a 240sqm bungalow in rural Kilkenny. Going in we did know that our architect asked for a "slightly higher spec" finish but jesus this was way over. And that excludes VAT. So excluding VAT its coming out at €2,230 per sq m. Adding VAT its comes out at €2530 per sqm!

Send it out to tender and see what comes back?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭maude6868

Can anybody tell me if this is correct. I never drew down the final stage payment of 10000 on my self build. I was approved for 150000 and drew down 140000 yet my mortgage statements show decreasing amounts form 150000. Does that mean I'm paying interest on 150000 even though I only used 140000.

I have my BER assessor's head wrecked from asking him questions.

That's what you are paying him for to be fair, unless you are constantly changing items, and he constantly has to alter his DEAP data to ensure compliance.

maude6868 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if this is correct. I never drew down the final stage payment of 10000 on my self build. I was approved for 150000 and drew down 140000 yet my mortgage statements show decreasing amounts form 150000. Does that mean I'm paying interest on 150000 even though I only used 140000.

Best to ask your bank directly as your terms and conditions are done by them, we wouldn't know to be honest.

kceire wrote: »
    That's what you are paying him for to be fair, unless you are constantly changing items, and he constantly has to alter his DEAP data to ensure compliance.

Yes to both. But my problem was trying to find the best fit A-rated home for me.
    Heat recovery ventilation?
    Natural ventilation?
    Heat pump?
    Wood burning stove with back boiler?
    Pv panels?
    Evacuated tubes?
    Flat solar thermal panels?
    Air tigthness?
    Natural gas?
    Solar gain?...etc...

Yes to both. But my problem was trying to find the best fit A-rated home for me.
    Heat recovery ventilation?
    Natural ventilation?
    Heat pump?
    Wood burning stove with back boiler?
    Pv panels?
    Evacuated tubes?
    Flat solar thermal panels?
    Air tigthness?
    Natural gas?
    Solar gain?...etc...

This is where your budget comes in.
    You can sit with the assessor and input all the data for each choice and see what comes out. Then go and price each scenario to see if it comes within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GraceKav

homerjk wrote: »

That is insanity. We are going to tender next week for a 221sq m house also in rural Kilkenny and have budgeted €1400-1500 per sq m which we are hoping will be sufficient for builders finish. €2,500 is crazy.

We are excluding the following from our builders finish budget. We may be excluding too much but would prefer to be overly conservative re budget than the other way around:
    -Kitchen - Sanitaryware -Floors -Appliances -Paint -Well -Sewage -Landscaping -Paths and Pavings -Professional fees -Planning Contributions -Initial siteworks and some leftover for any additional siteworks separate to the build - ESB Connection

Hope that helps. Would welcome any feedback on the above also if there's anything anyone thinks we're overlooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

Anyone willing to share a good spreadsheet to follow/keep track of the expenditure during a new house project.

Advertisement