Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Does the Kona come with a granny charger cable? strange if it works and eNiro doesn't?

Mine did when I took delivery last January. I have used it on multiple occasions while visiting relatives. On those occasions, I'd let it charge as long as I could during the day (not leaving it plugged in overnight just as a precaution) so approx 10 to 12 hours typically during daytime. I have placed it inside a plastic bin liner when its been raining heavily (as the socket is a proper outside one and I did not want the actual charger unit to get wet in case it caused issues). Not had any problem at all with it & it has never even been hot or even warm anytime I have checked it during usage. Very strange that Kia would do this as I think the Kona & Kia are pretty similar in battery / drive train / charging ? I've not heard any reports so far on any of the Kona Owner Forums about problems with the Granny Charger..Hope that helps..If there really is a reliability or technical problem with the Granny Charger, Kia should get their finger out & sort it for customers & ensure they get a working / reliable set of cables with their new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

The e-niro I had from the dealer for an extended test drive did have a granny charger in the boot that was back in April. I wouldn't bother me if it didn't have it I don't think I'd get much use out of it. My parents have a one with their leaf and they have never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The granny cable is generally for emergencies. Its a bit like a spare tyre, you might never use it but when you need it you need it!

The manufacturers dont provide spare tyres now either!

Having said that, I'd rather have the granny charger than not.... and a spare wheel too, which is why I bought one of those afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

There's no spare wheel anymore??

budgemook wrote: »
    There's no spare wheel anymore??

Clarification... some cars have no spare wheel... I dont know if the eNiro does or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    Clarification... some cars have no spare wheel... I dont know if the eNiro does or not.

That would be does not. :P Neither does the Ioniq.

Obvious question - what happens if you get a flat?

If they dont provide a spare they provide a can of goo that you squirt into the tyre to seal the puncture and then they also provide a cigarette lighter powered compressor to pump the wheel to get you to the tyre centre for a proper fix.

I've never used the goo but apparently it only works some of the time (depends on the nature/location of the puncture and it can wreck the tyre. No first hand experience of it though.

Personally, I'd rather a spare wheel than the goo so I bought a compatible wheel.

KCross wrote: »
    If they dont provide a spare they provide a can of goo that you squirt into the tyre to seal the puncture and then they also provide a cigarette lighter powered compressor to pump the wheel to get you to the tyre centre for a proper fix.

I've never used the goo but apparently it only works some of the time (depends on the nature/location of the puncture and it can wreck the tyre. No first hand experience of it though.

Personally, I'd rather a spare wheel than the goo so I bought a compatible wheel.

I've already begun the process of sourcing a space saver for the e Niro. The standard Niro wheels are 16" but the E Niro are 17". The master tech in the dealership reckons there might be problems with the ABS wheel speed sensor, as the space savers are a little smaller (3-4%) than the wheels fitted. But that probably means the ABS wouldn't work, not that the brakes wouldn't work. Also, the tyre pressure monitor obviously won't work.

As the speed is limited to 80kmh and the wheel is only to get you to a repair place, the above probably wouldn't matter much.

Most new cars don't have a spare wheel now, My Leaf doesn't have one. I haven't used the goo yet, I bought a spray can puncture repair also as its easier than the goo and compressor. I think it was holts tyre weld, it doesn't damage the tyre apparently. €5.99 I think. if its a side wall puncture or a large hole then you will need a new Tyre and its a callout or take the wheel away and bring it back to the car. not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

My leaf has spare wheel under boot. Also I was told that once you use that goo tire repair isn’t possible?

Luckylow10 wrote: »
    My leaf has spare wheel under boot. Also I was told that once you use that goo tire repair isn’t possible?

I think the goo that is in the tub that comes with the compressor does damage the tyre, but the spray cans don't.

You can get spare wheels as an extra usually but they are seldom standard now.

Did any other e Niro buyers get a chance to call their dealer today to ask about the granny charger?

Thinking about Niro PHEV now. Seems to be around 8000 cheaper and 0% finance available.

What are the main cons? Does anyone know the range of these before they switch to petrol?

Thinking about Niro PHEV now. Seems to be around 8000 cheaper and 0% finance available.

What are the main cons? Does anyone know the range of these before they switch to petrol?

I had one for a few days and I manged 30-35km on Battery. The drive isn't as smooth as the full electric as there petrol engine interrupts every now and again in hybrid mode or when accelerating hard in EV mode and the CVT gearbox is ok similar to Prius. The PHEV isn't as good looking as the BEV wheels are smaller and grill isn't great. Still it was fine, I'm not a hybrid fan so Wouldn't buy one myself. I got 3.5l/100km average over 3 days around 400km, that was fully charging overnight, so it economical if you do charge up.

Ask over on the Niro PHEV thread. 50km is the norm but of course depends on driving style etc

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057855507/6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Called my local dealer this morning who I'll be collecting mine from. Won't come with one - no reason given or any indication if this will change in the future. Would a regular granny charger work with it?
    Did any other e Niro buyers get a chance to call their dealer today to ask about the granny charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Called my local dealer this morning who I'll be collecting mine from. Won't come with one - no reason given or any indication if this will change in the future. Would a regular granny charger work with it?

I was told the same thing. The dealer said it was because of the risk of fires/bad wiring in older Irish houses related to using the granny charger with the eNiro specifically :confused: Makes no sense to me why it'd be any different from any other electric car. I guess you can buy one aftermarket and use it at your own risk. They seem to go for €300 or more though. Some more information why there's a risk would be useful.

Alternative explanations are that this is a gimmicky way to save on cost by not shipping with one or that it's a mistake by someone in the distribution chain that's being fudged.

I wonder are they also not shipping these granny cables in the UK, for example? I would imagine the network/house wiring is very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

argolis wrote: »
    I was told the same thing. The dealer said it was because of the risk of fires/bad wiring in older Irish houses related to using the granny charger with the eNiro specifically :confused: Makes no sense to me why it'd be any different from any other electric car. I guess you can buy one aftermarket and use it at your own risk. They seem to go for €300 or more though. Some more information why there's a risk would be useful.

Alternative explanations are that this is a gimmicky way to save on cost by not shipping with one or that it's a mistake by someone in the distribution chain that's being fudged.

I wonder are they also not shipping these granny cables in the UK, for example? I would imagine the network/house wiring is very similar.

I consider that a pretty crappy reason by Kia Ireland / The Dealer. So if you live in a house that 'isn't old' with 'wiring that isn't bad' - you are penalized and don't get a cable ? How the hell do they measure / define what an old house is - what year is the cut off point & how do they define what standards the wiring should meet? I'd say its just a way for Kia &/or The Dealer to give less for the same money - IMHO.

People have been using Granny Cables with EVs for years & I'm not aware of any notable / specific issues that have happened 'en mass' related to their housing wiring (generalizing here as I do appreciate there can potentially be a risk if you try constantly pull 13A load for huge number of consecutive hours from a regular wall socket).

I really smell BS by Kia / the Dealer on this... (will they start a new trend in the industry where others manufactures see what they are doing & start to give less for same money in future....).

I have a dedicated Zappi charger at my home but I'd be lost & annoyed without the Granny Cable that came with my Kona as I use it all the time when visiting my parents house almost 250KMs away. I stay with them & we travel together in their locality over a number of days, so its very handy being able to 'top up' at their house using the Granny Cable. Id be rightly annoyed to spend so much on a new EV & then separately have to fork out several hundred more for 'an optional extra Granny Cable' or 3rd Party Granny Cable.

Granny Charger itself - Its never even gotten warm when I've used it for 12 hours straight (& had it wrapped in a bin liner to protect the unit from rain) & their wall socket has appeared fine, no external signs of heat / damage. Granted its an external wall socket but never been any issue that I can see - I'd need to put my x-ray specs on though to check the wiring :-)

I'd be more accepting of this stance if it was more transparent & published formally on Kia Ireland website. Its hard to take them seriously where its just verbal.

As recently as June 12th 2019- the driving electric website states for the e-Niro "The car comes with a Type 2 public charging cable and a three-pin plug for use with a domestic socket"....I know this is not Kia Official but its typical of what would be reasonable to expect to get with the car & what I got with my Kona in January.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/kia/niro/e-niro/720/kia-e-niro-range-battery-charging

Surely the implication by Kia is this is not an e-Niro car or charger issue - but an Ireland house building/ wiring standards issue. If that really is the case, I guess we can expect all the other manufacturers to follow what they see Kia getting away with or will the likes of Hyundai still continue to supply the Granny Cable with their cars & not worry about the house wiring....Hmmmmm I wonder if I'll get a safety recall note to return my existing Granny Cable - doubt it?

Just peed off at the way the motor industry here treats Irish car buyers - no disrespect intended towards you for sharing the info you did etc.. ;-)

My dealer didn't mention the house wiring at all. I was told it was the portable EVSE unit itself that was melting. If that's the case, it's a faulty design, and something that Kia should work to put right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I recall that first LEAFs in Ireland also were arriving without granny cable and with explanation that ESB thought that wiring in some houses would not be able to safely handle charging. In UK granny cable was included.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭proponent

My dealer didn't mention the house wiring at all. I was told it was the portable EVSE unit itself that was melting. If that's the case, it's a faulty design, and something that Kia should work to put right.

Folks this is all more tripe from the greedy selfish Naas road.. the same reason they strip out DAB radios on import, the same reason they strip out the heated seats, the paddy spec.. all of it attracts additional VRT that the car industry here are too stingy to absorb as they do in every other countries motor industry.
    The pretence that passing the icost onto the consumer won’t be absorbed/tolerated by the “discerning Irish consumer”, my hole.. folks buy in the UK where you get better spec, lower price and the bloody granny cable included..

Such crap.. as if there are no old houses in the UK.. no wonder Tesco refer to ireland as “honey land” because of the high prices for poor products and services we are spoofed into tolerating..

Import your cars folks.. don’t be mugs

I have a way around this. If I'm not getting theirs, they're not getting mine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Acceleration is always talked about in terms of a standing start. But what are they like accelerating at a higher speed? Like if you want to overtake someone who is doing 70 or 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

I got one with mine but I have the car a couple of months they haven't contacted me recalling the granny cable so definitely a strange one. The blind spot warning is also a very strange thing to strip out of the Irish model

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Having read through previous posts, it'd make more sense that there were problems with the granny cable unit going on fire and which they're having to suspend the supply of. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick or the dealer I spoke to was spoofing because he wasn't given all the info from headquarters. There's been several anecdotes on this thread of the lack of info handed down to Irish Kia dealers so that wouldn't surprise me.

In that case, I'm not sure why they couldn't source another model of granny cable. Also, it'd still be interesting to see if this also affects the UK. Will take delivery in a few weeks anyway and wait to see if more information is forthcoming from Kia/here/Bjorn Nyland/etc.

I'd very much like one to have the option of using it when visiting parents for the weekend, to top up at the house rather than having to find a public charger down the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

1qzZv9M.png

Response I got from Kia on Twitter

dmcg90 wrote: »

Response I got from Kia on Twitter

Yeah, sounding more and more like Kia Ireland saving a few bob. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Is a type2 cable for public charging supplied??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a very strange public (!) response. Badly put together, terrible grammar, full of inaccuracies too. Hyundai and Nissan do supply a free granny cable with all their EVs

Advertisement