Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a really great Pro Sony LCD monitor, there's been an LMD 232W on adverts for an age now. Currently going for €70.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/sony-professional-monitor-pvm-grade/14285745

It has BNC inputs. Exactly the same as the LMD I have connected to my PVM CRTs.

Comes with the stand too (I had to pay €50 or so alone for that)

Soooo tempted.....

But I've got too many displays as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

LOL have it in my watch list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Doge wrote: »
    Sonic Mania and Borderlands the Handsome Collection are June's PS plus games, available on Tuesday

That's some pretty solid content right there.
    Im going to wait to play Borderlands 2 VR with the aim controller though, haven't played it yet but finished Borderlands 1.

Played Borderlands 2 for 30 minutes wasn't terribly entertained. After Dusk I find every single player FPS hopelessly slow paced.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If anyone is looking for a really great Pro Sony LCD monitor, there's been an LMD 232W on adverts for an age now. Currently going for €70.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/sony-professional-monitor-pvm-grade/14285745

It has BNC inputs. Exactly the same as the LMD I have connected to my PVM CRTs.

Comes with the stand too (I had to pay €50 or so alone for that)

Does the stand have any vertical adjustment and maybe allow it to be rotated? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does the stand have any vertical adjustment and maybe allow it to be rotated? :)

Unfortunately not, hori only I'm afraid. :( you can mount the panel on a standard rotating stand though.

Main draw to it is the BNC inputs. Means you can have all of your consoles displaying on a CRT and LCD simultaneously if you have that kind of a setup.

So your PS2/Dreamcast/Wii era consoles can be connected up to both and can play on an LCD if you want a bigger screen or can switch that off and just go with the CRT instead for lightgun games.

It's also a great way of showing sceptical (!) people the real time difference between CRTs and LCDs for 240p content. (the amount of times I get that 'but why??' look when people walk into my living room and see a big square CRT!)

On top of that, it also has SDI input boards so you can run modern consoles into it too.

Building a new gaming PC soon and am almost tempted to buy it and have a dual monitor setup with two of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played Borderlands 2 for 30 minutes wasn't terribly entertained. After Dusk I find every single player FPS hopelessly slow paced.

Did not grab me at all either. It feels like a game you play with friends that's on in the background while you chat. And the humour is just regurgitated internet means that have aged like a carton of strawberry milk left behind a school radiator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Steam sale stuff
    The Wonderboy III : Dragons Trap remake is 1/2 price at the moment on PC
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/543260/Wonder_Boy_The_Dragons_Trap/
    The original was one of the best 8 bit games of the era , and the new music and graphics are really really good
    (Also being able to switch back and forth on the fly to see what the original enemies looked like or the 8 bit music was is great)
    I cant get over how good the orchestral rerecordings of the soundtrack are on this by the way.

Also the unrelated but excellent (and 'man of this parish' Ollie containing I believe ) Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom is out in a few weeks on PC as well

https://store.steampowered.com/app/449610/Monster_Boy_and_the_Cursed_Kingdom/
    http://www.monsterboy.com/

Also not really A&R but Barony , the brick hard Co-op Voxel Rogue A Like is cheap at the moment and worth a look
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/371970/Barony/

(bad trailer but good idea of whats in it)

Master of the Universe

Nice little 14 inch Trini in Ballinteer for a tenner

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-trinitron-14-tv/18325947

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

'Capcom module' and 'fan' in the description - CPS2 board I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Well that went quick. Advertised 1 hour ago, requested 1 hour ago, and a few "second dibs" to boot :P

Arcade stuff is getting harder to find, and it seems like the audience is getting bigger for retro stuff all the time.

Put something up and "theyre coming outta the goddamn walls!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

'Capcom module' and 'fan' in the description - CPS2 board I'd say?

Sounds like it alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice little 14 inch Trini in Ballinteer for a tenner

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-trinitron-14-tv/18325947

I stuck a RPi into one of those a few years ago, it was a perfect little cab, coupled with a usb pad.

Anybody want a jamma cab?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

:D now you have to tell us what were the mystery games?

:D now you have to tell us what were the mystery games?

Only one,
    A good one to be fair.Super Street Fighter 2 the new challengers,working.
    The cab is a fairly rough to be honest.
    I wouldn't personally spend the time/money on it.
    Monitor tube is good,chassis is dead but I'll get to it.Sticks and buttons need replacing.The best part of it was the bezel but someone has scraped away the top corner to display the "tax discs".

I have a plan for the SSF2,It involves a nice 29" monitor I got off a member here :cool:
    Maybe a darksoft mod but time will tell.

If anyone wants it (not for flipping) let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Only one,
    Monitor tube is good,chassis is dead but I'll get to it.Sticks and buttons need replacing.The best part of it was the bezel but someone has scraped away the top corner to display the "taxes discs".

I have a plan for the SSF2,It involves a nice 29" monitor I got off a member here :cool:

The SSF2? Yeah sure ill take it off your hands:pac:

Master of the Universe

Next in line for free SSF2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I like em rough :D
    if you're parting with it I'll be happy to give it a new life. I've rtype 1 & 2 and a major title waiting to be converted to r-type leo I was hoping to find a cab for at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I want to get an N64 with Goldeneye, theres a good few for sale, just waiting on a bargain.
    Its an itch I have to scratch!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I want to get an N64 with Goldeneye, theres a good few for sale, just waiting on a bargain.
    Its an itch I have to scratch!!

Prepare for disappointed. Time has not been kind to that game, particularly the slower European version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Prepare for disappointed. Time has not been kind to that game, particularly the slower European version.

Yep. Dug my N64 out last year to play it and was very disappointed. It's a great game but it's glitchy and the frame rate at times is awful.

Nostalgia only goes so far

Master of the Universe

I always feel sorry for older console FPS games, they rarely play any good in this day and age and you can't do anything to improve them like you can with their PC counterparts.

Some still hold up. Turok is actually more fun than you would expect, especially in the recent PC ports from night dive. I'd avoid a PAL N64 due to the slower games and lack of moddability. They can be gotten so cheap from the US and Japan that it's more than worth it. Plenty of N64 games still hold up. Must get mine from the parents place and play some more Sin and Punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Dissapointed to hear that :(

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Dissapointed to hear that :(

Sure give it a go if you can find it cheap. You can always get some better games like Mario 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

mario kart on the n64!! amazing

Everyone needs to play Waverace 64 at NTSC speeds, the game is transformed from Jetskiing on golden syrup to a far more dynamic and exciting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Only one,
    Monitor tube is good,chassis is dead but I'll get to it.Sticks and buttons need replacing.The best part of it was the bezel but someone has scraped away the top corner to display the "tax discs".

I think somebody asked for help fixing that same cabinet on Boards years ago, but the thread has been deleted. It had the same game (grey board, I think?). The OP only showed photos of the inside, but referred to the machine as a Trojan Midi. The monitor should be an MTC9000.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence that the same game happened to be in there. Nice machines though, and worth doing up I think.

Advertisement