Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bandridge automatic three way Scart switchers in on Amazon for a decent price, £13.71, probably €15 a pop.
    If I didn't already own four of the manual five-way switch boxes I'd probably get them all!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0015YSKD4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_hmOvDb4CAS9RD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Please tell me someone here grabbed this free Nintendo cab !

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22722538

Please tell me someone here grabbed this free Nintendo cab !

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22722538

Didn't see it.
    What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Mario Bros, you'll probably see it on adverts soon enough I'd say.

Yeh Nintendo Mario bros cab for free ! Non working it said , US power supply , but look in good condition. It said SOLD down the end of the ad so it was gone when I seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Where was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Where was it?

Cork I think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A 32" Sony CRT going for the free
    http://www.adverts.ie/18556949

If I'd the space I'd pick it up myself, well, not by myself... Obviously...

Wish I lived closer to Dublin

Master of the Universe

That looks really lovely! It's kinda rare to see a black Trinitron model in 16:9 in these parts. If I had the space I'd be on that without hesitation at all.

• Advertisement

And now I'm thinking "Ciderman, why can't you get it and replace the 29" with it, then put the 29" somewhere else"
    And then I think "Why are you calling yourself by your online name?"
    And then "Why are my colleagues looking at me funny, am I not using my inside voice?"

Master of the Universe

It'd be a great addition, but if it's a choice between the two, I'd still hang onto your 29 trini over this one.

32 inch sounds big, but when you spread it over a 16:9 size it's not that big really. I think the viewable screen space in 4:3 mode would still be bigger on the 29 inch model.

It's such a shame we didn't get proper big 4:3 screens over here, they must look absolutely enormous.

o1s1n wrote: »

It's such a shame we didn't get proper big 4:3 screens over here, they must look absolutely enormous.

Jack Burton has one,
    I think its a 32"??
    It has slots so you can insert lifting poles :eek:

Sedan-chair.jpg

Master of the Universe

Oh yeah he has a massive Grundig doesn't he?

I remember asking about it before over on the CRT reddit subgroup, a lot of Americans dont seem to realise all of our 32 inch TVs are 16:9 (they consider them really rare over there)

It's actually to do with digital TV broadcasting I believe. Europe went widescreen with digital from the start whereas the US didn't.

As a result they've loads of really big 4:3 CRTs whereas ours at all 16:9.

No they have no scart !
    Or a scat lead as the MIL calls them :eek::D

Master of the Universe

Their later models used component while we we were doing 16:9 digital over here via scart.

Check out this monster 4:3 36 inch wega!

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kv-36fv15-36-crt-tv-series/

Weight 235.45 lbs - 106kg! heavier than my arcade machines, by a long shot too.

Master of the Universe

No they have no scart !
    Or a scat lead as the MIL calls them :eek::D

My mam calls them scath :D

My grundig is a 36" 4:3. It's a beast.

Really needs a chassis service and a proper remote. It's so big though I can't move it and it's made of mostly mdf screwed to plastic.

Master of the Universe

Where did you get it actually? Was it just privately owned or was it used as a display somewhere?

I've never seen a CRT that big in person :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Was just at the recycling centre, dangerous place to be with a hankering for WEEE leftovers

• Advertisement

One of my friends dad's owned a tv shop back in the 80s/90s and luckily they held onto it. I'd say it was used as a display because I'd say it got serious play.

Best €20 I ever spent

Master of the Universe

One of my friends dad's owned a tv shop back in the 80s/90s and luckily they held onto it. I'd say it was used as a display because I'd say it got serious play.

Best €20 I ever spent

Hah, was probably too much hassle to get rid of so they just kept it! :D

Must be one of a handful of 4:3 CRTs that size left in the country. Ever thought of sending the chassis off to Grantspain?

I really should. One of the speakers isn't working in it either so it really needs a bit of tlc to be really up to scratch.

It's literally a 2 man job to move it though so might wait until brown digit is down sometime and get him to give me a hand to take out the chassis

o1s1n wrote: »
    Where did you get it actually? Was it just privately owned or was it used as a display somewhere?

I've never seen a CRT that big in person :eek:

This is actual footage of O1s1n attempting to bring one of those displays back from the states

giphy.gif

Theres a scam ad on donedeal for an attack from mars pinball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks good alright I'll take two

I think its gone now, thought it looked dodge, even the images

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The Arcade1UP Street Fighter cab is down to £225 on Amazon.

Probably the best price we'll see it at lately.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcade1UP-Street-Fighter-II-Challengers/dp/B07K2RJCXS/

Releasing a few new things tomorrow night.

Also doing a giveaway on my Instagram if any of ye are interested in it

5zpyPtY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

There was a pub called the museum rest on the north side(possibly benburb street) that was falling down, we use to get a lock in there regularly, it had a huge 4:3 CRT, definitely the largest I’ve ever seen, in a wooden case being used as a bench down the back, not sure if the pub is still there or if it was knocked/fell down, but either way I’d bet the TV is still there

Advertisement